Start by marking “Miss Misery” as Want to Read:
Miss Misery

Miss Misery

Lonely Brooklyn twentysomething David Gould has problems: blown work deadlines, an obsession with an Internet temptress he's never met in the flesh, and, worst of all, a hedonistic double attempting to steal his identity. Full of gripping characters, mood-altering detail, and a killer virtual soundtrack, Miss Misery is a genre-defying exploration of growing up and going ou ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Misery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Misery

Start your review of Miss Misery
Val
Sep 10, 2020 added it
I have a very vague memory of checking this out from a cruise ship's library strictly based on the title and the fact that I was emo
Matt
Mar 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: enemies
Ok, so I love pop music, indie rock, and many things about the ever-evolving culture that surrounds it...and this book, which sort of purports to celebrate such stuff, was so annoying and infuriating that it had me wishing death on every stupid, shallow, trendspotting indie rocker on Earth for awhile. For most people this wouldn't be a problem, but I also enjoy writing about music and it sucks when all the fun's been drained out of it.

This bit of fiction is a thinly-veiled autobiographical work
Cat
Oct 02, 2007 rated it did not like it
i am so goddamn sick of these so-called trendy books. you know, the ones you find at urban outfitters.

just because it has to do with music and is recommended by spin or UO doesn't make it well-written.

this book lacked a decent plot, and i found it incredibly boring. yeah some things were cool, and maybe interesting, but over-all the plot sucked and the characters lacked development. or more specifically believable development.

but i believe above all, what bothered me most is the use of a doppelg
Chelsea L. Conner
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
After reading through other reviews, I think I may be alone in truly loving this book. I first read it while I was in high school and I identified very strongly with the main character. Not that I've ever fallen in love with someone through their blog or created a blog of everything I WISH happened in my life, but I was lost. I wanted my life to be more exciting and have more grandeur. Miss Misery helped me realize that it was okay to feel that way, but I might also be wrong in hoping that.
Its
Elena Mooney Graham
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
What the fuck? Its supposed to be about a blog guy, but sadly it sounds just like a blog guy. Why did I get a "are you there god it's me Margaret" vibe from this?
Becky
Jan 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
I thought the setup was good. Man's girlfriend moves to a different country leaving him alone in Brooklyn NY obsessing over online journals of various people. Lots of interesting possibilities, but the story did not pick up for me at all. At least, not in a way that made me actually care about the story. 400 pages (10 audio discs) is WAY too long for this story.

The writing was eh and some of the metaphors were groan-worthy. I.E., "... Like a strobe on qualudes" describing lightening during a sto
Liz
Jun 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Could I give it zero stars? Really terrible. Main character, who is really just a whiny, indecisive putz, spends the entire novel dropping indy band names to show how hip he is. The two major female characters' main modes of communication are sticking out their tongues at him or smacking him in the chest or arm. I would have liked to smack him senseless myself. Do not waste your time on this book!
Kate
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I prefer his non-fiction work but this was alright. The whole thing seemed a bit young, but the concept was really interesting, by using the internet for the basis of the novel and the idea of the whole self reflexive element of the story was interesting. The whole thing did seem really far fetched though.
Lauren
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I absolutely adore this book. Since it's release, I have been desperately waiting for another fiction or even non-fiction novel by Andy Greenwald. I didn't want this book to end and ever since I've finished reading it a long time ago I can't seem to get it out of my head. If you are looking for a good fiction read, this is it.
E. Mikel Brown
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book presented itself as an alt-rock urban odyssey. I flipped through it and caught names like Interpol, The Go! Team, and Death Cab. I eagerly threw myself into Miss Misery. The disappointment came early and often.

I hate this book. The very idea of this book ignites a fire of anger in me unparalleled by any other piece of literature.

Instead of a novel celebrating the mid-aught's alternative lifestyle that I so earnestly participated in, I got some douchey Jew boys lament about how hard it
Emily
Sep 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book, but I finished reading it anyway.

At first it seemed promising, including the online journal entries of the three characters, but then it turns solely into David's Story, and how he has to track down his look-alike.

The "fight of his life" isn't really much of a fight at all, and it seems like a rip-off of Fight Club, except the alter ego helps his life.

The relationships between David and Cath were creepy, and I never understood any motivation for them liking each other
Jay Wardell
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only took me 338 pages to draw a connection between a character named cath and the death cab song of the same name. I am not a smart man.

fun book 4/5 of my whiny xanga journals.
Wolfie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The end ruins an otherwise OK book
Lin
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too far-fetched for me to truly enjoy.
Jameson Ketchum
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great love letter to the days of AIM and LiveJournal. I wish Andy would write more like this!
Dav
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Overview

"Lonely Brooklyn twentysomething David Gould has problems: blown work deadlines, an obsession with an Internet temptress he's never met in the flesh, and, worst of all, a hedonistic double attempting to steal his identity..."

David is a writer with writer's block. He has yet to start the book he's been contracted to write, all about online diaries. He has developed an interest in Cath Kennedy, aka Miss Misery whose online diary interests match his own. An online diary may not be truthful,
N
Aug 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This gentle satire of the emo blogosphere is wilfully postmodern and irreverent, but, perhaps ironically, it is most successful when it tends towards warmth and honesty.

It’s far too easy to compare anything with elements of postmodernism and zeitgeist to Chuck Palahniuk. Nonetheless, I think here the comparison is well-taken. Not because Miss Misery bears more than a passing resemblance to Fight Club, but because Greenwald suffers similar plotting problems to early Palahniuk. The set-up of Miss
Frankiey
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as a sort of a not-so-recent-past time capsule of the'05-08 era (Sidekick phones, CD-R mixtapes, Online Journals, Studded Belts, Drive Thru recrodish bands-fun right?) Andy Greenwald's narrator (who for all intents and purposes appears to be mostly Greenwald mugging under the name David Gould) has the unique perspective of telling the sort of rote Bright Lights, Big City story as a guy who's a little past his coke-in-bathroom-stalls days, but still is an acute observer ...more
Amanda
Apr 19, 2007 rated it liked it
This is legit one of the strangest books I've ever read. The quote on the front is that Chuck Klosterman thinks that this book is the "emo fight club." Well, I think Chuck Klosterman is a douchebag, and I've never seen Fight Club, but I did like this book.

Since I've abandoned the childish Livejournal for the more adult blog (I'm soooo mature now), just the word "livejournal" aroses an eyeroll. However, Greenwald's book touches on a market that has never been taken so seriously before. Basically
Evan
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first (as far as I know) Livejournal epistolary novel. (Fittingly, Greenwald is also the author of "Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo," the first book-length examination of the emo scourge.) It concerns a twentysomething slacker type who spends a lot of time sleazing around Livejournal "working on a novel about blog culture," but really just perving on the window the Internet provides him into random young women's online lives, until his girlfriend dumps him and two of his st ...more
Anhoni Patel
May 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
At first it was hard for me to get into this book, especially the initial sections, but after pg. 71, I was hooked and the information presented during the slow start all came to make sense.

Has a little bit of a meta-twist, which was just enough. I really dislike metafiction as I feel it's a little too coy and plays with the reader. But, anyway, this book only has a wee bit of that.

There are a few parts, especially in the last third of the book that are straight-up laugh-out-loud funny. There
Sean Flynn
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: '90's indie rock lovers (and those who claim they love it), New Yorkers
This is a case where the half-star would have helped, as this is a 3.5-star book, in my opinion. I originally purchased because of the Elliott Smith-referenced title, as I'm sure many did. While the musical (and sometimes geographical) references are fun in a 'Hey!-I-know-that' sort of way, it feels like the pop-culture references (LiveJournal, etc.) were a bit packed in. Personally, fictional reading is best used to get AWAY from modern annoyances/guilty pleasures. Finally, despite being able t ...more
Margaret
Nov 01, 2007 rated it liked it
On the cover of the novel, there's a quotation from Chuck Klosterman saying "This is the emo Fight Club" so of course I was thrilled to read it. But as I got further and further into the novel I was wondering when David, the main character, would come to realize his schizophrenia...and he never did. His doppleganger existed and wasn't a figment of his imagination. Talk about a let down. But it read very well and had great descriptions and langauge. I'll cut Andy Greenwald some slack since it's h ...more
Slone
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: modern music lovers
An interesting concept: When at a point of indecision, the protagonist's personality splits, becoming two separate people, one dull and boring, but normal; the other outrageous a total hedonist, devoted to pursuit of pleasure in the extreme.

The author peppers the story with music references (emo, punk, alternative) that leave the novice or unfamiliar reader (including me, for the most part) a little out of the loop.

Interesting story, satisfying conclusion.
Claire
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really enjoyable read, especially for someone in their teens or twenties who's computer-savvy. It kept my interest, and at some points I could hardly put it down. If there were half-stars, I'd give it 3 and a half, honestly. The only disappointing part to me was the ending....but I'd definitely read another book by Greenwald!
Jen
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
this book seems to be getting sort of a mixed bag of reviews on goodreads, but i bought it purely based on the cover. love it. and Chuck Klosterman calls it the "emo fight club" in the blurbs. we'll see, we'll see.
Jeff Raymond
A veryquotable this book was earlier, I think. Either way, the book still hasn't really left my frame of mind since I read it. Not a great piece of literature, again, but something I think a lot of my friends would enjoy.
Cayla Fuentes
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Definitely thought it was going to be like Fight Club, but turns out it wasn't. I really enjoyed reading this book. I could definitely relate myself to David (the real one). Great book, and it took me all of 4 hours to read the 384 pages... It was that addicting. Couldn't put it down.
Lery
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
- was a beautiful book to read.
-had fun reading this one, this became one of my favorite book.
-the online thing was bizarre, amazing, and did catch my interest.. real cool!!!!

*i just forgot the date i read this book. been a long time i've read this. hahahaha! but i'm reading it again. lol!
Ruth Soz
May 30, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
An interesting concept that didn't quite translate to paper.

• Hench
  • William Goldman: Four Screenplays
  • Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)
  • Ostrich Boys
  • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily, #1)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Cherry Pie or Die (Baker Street Mysteries #1)
  • Cash
  • Religio-cide: A Primer on Deconstructing the Current Religious Structure for the Sake of True Relationship
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • Unstoppable: My Life So Far
  • Jump and Run (Dick and Jane: Penguin Young Readers)
  • We Look (Read With Dick And Jane 1)
Andy Greenwald is an author, journalist and screenwriter living in Brooklyn, NY. His writing appears daily on Grantland.com and occasionally in Spin, Entertainment Weekly and Penthouse. He tweets often (www.twitter.com/andygreenwald) yet hasn't updated his website since 2006. ...more