Start by marking “Upon the Midnight Clear: A Lady Emily Christmas Story (Lady Emily #13.5)” as Want to Read:
Upon the Midnight Clear: A Lady Emily Christmas Story (Lady Emily #13.5)

Upon the Midnight Clear: A Lady Emily Christmas Story

(Lady Emily #13.5)

UPON THE MIDNIGHT CLEAR is a brand-new heartwarming Christmas short story featuring Tasha Alexander's beloved Victorian sleuth.

While Lady Emily and her family are shopping in Hamley's toy shop, a stranger gives her son Henry a Christmas cracker that, when opened, reveals a mysterious message.
Published November 5th 2019 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Upon the Midnight Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon the Midnight Clear

Start your review of Upon the Midnight Clear: A Lady Emily Christmas Story (Lady Emily #13.5)
Lynne
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely, refreshing Christmas novella about the power of forgiveness and the Christmas season. Colin and Emily are tasked with finding a young man's daughter after losing touch with her family for many years. As ever, Tasha Alexander writes with wit and warmth, telling a lovely story in the process. This series continues to be a pleasure to read.
Linniegayl
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed the yearly Christmas novella in the Lady Emily series. I particularly liked seeing more of Colin and Emily's three sons (and I swear they remind me of a young Ramses at times). The mystery was interesting, but for me the focus was more on the family. I'd give this an A-/B+, so rounded up to five stars here. As a note, this will definitely not work for someone who is not already a reader of the series.
Victoria
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a sweet novella that is perfect for Christmas! I don't want to spoil anything more but I am happy to see Emily and Colin in more scenes together again.
Betty Strohecker
This is such a delightful addition to the Lady Emily series. While deciding to stay in town for the Christmas season, Emily and Colin are approached to take on a seemingly impossible investigation. Of course Christmas is a time to remember miracles. I loved reading about the precocious children - so well written, each with his own voice.
Dustin
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming Holiday Tale

If you enjoy the Lady Emily series, this novella is worth your while. In addition to a new adventure, close to home, readers have the pleasure of getting to know Emily and Colin’s boys better.
Get cozy and enjoy the holiday season with the Hargreaves.
Alisha
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pleasant, light novella wherein Lady Emily and her husband agree to help a distraught father find the daughter he didn't know he had. Warm and cozy and suitable for all. Fans of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series will get very similar vibes with the children in this story...they are quite precocious.
Mary
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Verity W
A fun Christmas novella. I liked the story - and wouldn't have minded it being a bit longer, but actually I think it did everything it set out to do.
Cathyann
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
A refreshing read for the season. I love spending time with these characters. And since it is a novella it’s a great read at this busy time of year.
Lynn
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon a Midnight Clear

Was a very sweet Lady Emily story. It is very family oriented and portrays a loving family. I enjoyed it very much.
Diane
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Christmas Read

A nice peak into Emily and Colin’s domestic life. Christmas novellas are a lot like Christmas itself, and the themes of family and forgiveness run throughout this story. Quite enjoyable.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
What could have possessed Lady Emily and her husband Colin to actually take their three precocious boys to the legendary Hamleys Toy Shop days before Christmas? Yes, perhaps it's sheer joy at having London to themselves and avoiding their neighbor's overly enthusiastic holiday celebrations at Montague Manor that Colin refers to as The Festival of Horror. But their arrival at the toy shop seems fortuitous because a kind-hearted stranger gives her three boys Christmas crackers. Emily wants to view ...more
Kim
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Tasha Alexander knows exactly what her readers adore. This Christmas mystery is sweet and witty with a most satisfying conclusion.
Mary Grace Frank
Review of the mystery

It was a refreshing mystery and makes the upcoming season of Christmas extra special. Lovely tale. Found the characters interesting and historical references fun!
Margo Sinks
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella, so I was able to read it quickly. This is a story about a man long separated from his daughter and now searching for her. One needs to suspend disbelief for this tale but it is warm , if a little treacly.
Carrie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas Miracle Wrapped in a Mystery

Ms. Alexander has delivered another lovely mystery wrapped in the miracles of Christmas. I loved getting to know Colin and Lady Emily’s children a bit more and always enjoy when the family is in London. The story was a good one, engaging and interesting. I quite enjoyed it and think it may just tide me over until the new full-length Lady Emily novel arrives.
Lindsey
While I love this series, I wasn’t very impressed with this holiday novella. I appreciate the world and any new stories the author has to add, but it’s probably my least favorite of all the holiday asides that she’s written. It was bad, it just wasn’t as good as the previous installments for me.
Paula
Dec 28, 2019
Leonor Miller
Jan 08, 2020

• A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • Mydworth Mysteries - London Calling! (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 3)
  • Death at Brighton Pavilion (Captain Lacey Mysteries, #14)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • Mydworth Mysteries - A Little Night Murder (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 2)
  • Murder at the Masquerade Ball (Rose Simpson Mysteries #9)
  • A Jolly Little Murder: A Violet Carlyle Cozy Historical Christmas Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 17)
  • Murder by Plum Pudding (Ginger Gold Mysteries #11)
  • A Midwinter’s Masquerade (The Rannoch Fraser Mysteries Book 18)
  • Hijinks & Murder: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 18)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Lady Gold Investigates Volume 3
  • City of Scoundrels (Counterfeit Lady, #3)
  • Murder in the Shadows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 16)
  • Murder on All Hallows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 15)
  • Murder on Fleet Street (Ginger Gold Mysteries #12)
  • Lady Gold Investigates Volume 2: a Short Read cozy historical 1920s mystery collection
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
The daughter of two philosophy professors, I grew up surrounded by books. I was convinced from an early age that I was born in the wrong century and spent much of my childhood under the dining room table pretending it was a covered wagon. Even there, I was never without a book in hand and loved reading and history more than anything. I studied English Literature and Medieval History at the ...more

Lady Emily (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Tears of Pearl (Lady Emily, #4)
  • Dangerous to Know (Lady Emily, #5)
  • A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6)
  • Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7)
  • Behind the Shattered Glass (Lady Emily, #8)
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)