Start by marking “Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)

Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  636 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Have you ever seen true evil? I mean, looked it in the face and recognized it for what it is? I have. And you know what? It’s a face like any other.

Thus begins DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, the second book in the Laura Cardinal series. When two newlyweds are found murdered at an Arizona campground, Arizona Department of Public Safety detective Laura Cardinal is enlisted to invest
Published January 3rd 2006 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Dark Side of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Side of the Moon

Black Butterfly
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
Shelves: crime, drama
RATHER SLOW WITH VERY UNLIKABLE CHARACTERS I COULD NOT CONNECT TO ANYBODY. THERE WAS SOMETHING SO SAD AND MORBID ABOUT ALL THE CAST OF CHARACTERS THEY DEPRESSED ME. THE STORY LINE KEPT YOU TRYING TO FIGURE OUT JUST WTF WAS GOING ON BUT THAT WASN'T A BAD THING. I LIKE IT WHEN I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHO DONE WHAT. I JUST DIDN'T LIKE ANYONE IN THE STORY AT ALL THEY ALL NEEDED PROFESSIONAL HELP BIG TIME. CALLING DR PHIL, HELP!;{
Phyllis
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
There are too many extraneous characters in this book, and not enough character development of the main, recurring characters. The main murder case is given less attention than a nuclear waste side show. Loose ends are not tied up.
Ilsa
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ok, not great. The main character was well drawn, but the secondary characters less so. Hard to feel invested in the outcome. But the ending was good enough that I'm reconsidering my decision to abandon the series. I want ro find out what happens next with Laura Cardinal.
Charles Robinson
This part of the series was not as good as the first book. I tried to keep an open mind but after awhile i just became uninterested on who did what. I wanted just to finish.
Tricia Riley
Tina Bailey
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional writing!

This was a great story that had Laura bent in many ways. The characters were well presented, and each told their own story that became woven into a masterpiece of a criminal mystery thriller.
Trudy J. Shattls
Boring!

Not exciting. Long and drawn out with too many insignificant details. Too many suspects and towards the end, too many agents and detectives are named.
Debbie Mcnally
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book plenty of twist and turns.
Melony
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laura_cardinal
Dark, frighteningly realistic in this post 9/11 era.
Amy
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Detective Laura Cardinal with the Department of Public Safety investigates a murder with her new partner Richie Lockhart at Cataract Lake Park where newlyweds Dan Yates and Kellee Taylor were found shot to death while camping on their honeymoon. There are many suspicious characters in this suspenseful tale set in the Mojave Desert: Shana Yates, Dan Yates' twin sister, whose boyfriend Bobby Burdette is tied to an underground organization, Earth Warriors, along with Kellee Taylor's father, Jack Ta ...more
Quillracer
This book was about on a part with the other two books in the series, and my comments on them carry over to this one.

The story seems to jump ahead in spots as if Black knew how her characters got from point A to point B, but forgot to tell us.

The revelation of the bad guy seemed to come out of nowhere. There were no clues throughout the book to this point that might point to the guilty one, although this time, I had a suspicion who it was.

I read the third book in this series before I read this o
Dee
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like these books, but I'm going to have to start keeping a pad and pen handy. With every book, Laura is working with a new partner and just when they start to grow on you, the book ends and she has a new partner in the next one. I would like for her mentor to help her get it all together. Was glad she finally went to the doctor and is planning to get counseling, which she should have done after the first book. I do wish the books would explain a few things a little bit better, both from ...more
Eric
Jul 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a decent murder mystery with a bit of a thriller element. It starts off a little slow, but picks up as Laura Cardinal meets more characters and suspects. I'm not much into mysteries, but I bought this because the author is a fellow Arizona resident and the setting is in Arizona, primarily the small mountain town of Williams. The author throws in enough details that it's clear she knows her setting, which is always nice. I've read some novels in which an author clearly didn't know the se ...more
Courtneyp860
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Elizabeth Bailey
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This started out as brilliantly as the Laura Cardinal series book I read before, and I enjoyed it tremendously until the point where the CIA et al came into the picture. For me, the changing viewpoints dissipated the tension and the plot got so complex, with so many law enforcement bodies involved that I had trouble following it. Once Laura got back the story, it was fine. I also guessed the whodunnit early on, very much by a process of elimination and at the end did not feel enough clues were p ...more
Joan Reeves
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A "Ripped from the Headlines" Plot

When Dark Side of the Moon opens, Laura's world is undergoing change -- change she doesn't want, doesn't understand, and doesn't know how to stop. Laura and her insecurities are balanced by her aptitude for her job. In a "ripped from the headlines" story, Laura faces what everyone fears since 9/11.

By book's end, you'll be surprised and saddened, for the other characters and for Laura. You'll also be thoroughly hooked into buying the other books in the series.

Sen
Beth
This was a fairly enjoyable read that mixed a bit of murder with conspiracy.
Two people are killed at a camping site and the investigator digs into this and goes more broadly discovering things that have been hidden for some time locally in the course of her investigation.
Apparently, in a previous book, which I haven't read, Laura went through some rather disturbing things and this is affecting her as a person and as an officer.
There's the ghost of her former mentor that pops up every so often, b
Julia
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the opening chapter. It had me hooked from the beginning. The descriptions of the small desert town were great. The main character, Laura, was interesting and likable. My only complaint was I didn't like her relationship with her boyfriend. The times when she went back home to see him broke up the flow of the book. The central mystery of the story was good. It took me awhile to see the whole picture, but once I did, the pieces all fit together. The bad guy was strangely compelling, and I e ...more
Diana Johnson
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Riveting and gripping until the very end!

More of Laura Cardinal for those who have already read Cry Wolf, an excellent thriller in the Deadly Dozen boxed set!! Laura and her partner are faced with a brutal murder of a newly married couple that somehow feels personal with the rage exhibited! Searching for a killer, sifting through possible suspects, Laura becomes more human and real as we glimpse the myriad of emotions she goes through and the thoughts and feelings she shares while on the hunt!!
Martyn Halm
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Despite the slow start and the dragging pace with the police procedural scenes, this story turned out pretty good as it neared its ending. I guessed the ultimate culprit of the murder early in the book, and the subplot about the nuclear waste was a bit overwrought, but it did a fine job of distracting from the straightforward murder case. The psychological parts and intimate scenes are well-crafted and the characters were all three-dimensional and believable.
Recommended!
Dan Beaver
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my second J. Carson Black novel, and while it was not quite as good as the first, it was better than most mysteries. Perhaps a few too bread crumbs to follow, but still leaving a sense of whodunit from the lack of information. Worth reading, but start with Darkness on the Edge of Town (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19...) if you have not already read that book.
Betty
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid mystery that kept me engaged right to the end. I'll definitely stick with the series. But it was like the editor quit working after the first 2/3 of the manuscript. Syntactical, punctuation, and factual errors in the final third cost it a rating star. As an example, the Gulf of Mexico is not visible at any point while driving from Phoenix to Rocky Point on the Mexican coast of the Sea of Cortez.
Jean
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
The story begins with the tragic murder of two teens while they were camping. Laura Cardinal, criminal investigator with the DPS, is called to the scene. She and her partner diligently search for the murderer. Another plot is uncovered during their investigation, involving transportation of nuclear waste. A good mystery thriller with a surprising ending as to who did committed the murder.
Brian
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the second Laura Cardinal book by this author. The book was really long 2 novellas. The ending was rather strange. Overall, it was a good detective whodunnit with a good understanding of forensic science and flow of detective work. It would be nice of the flow of the book had not jumped all over the place, yet this book was an improvement over the 1st novel
Jessica
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Time taken to get through this book is not reflective of its merit. I enjoyed the story, although the first in this series was a bit more suspenseful and engaging. Unlike "Darkness on the Edge of Town" I had a good idea of "who done it". This being said, there were still some good twists. It's a good cop thriller.
Scott Whitney
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book with a nice twist or six before the end. I enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next one to make it to the top of my queue. Last year I was stuck on the Janet Brady books set here in Cochise County, now it looks like I will have to get through all of the Laura Cardinal books.
Rory Costello
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This series is very capable in terms of psychology, multiple subplots, and police procedural...but somehow it doesn't really catch fire for me. There was a long gap between reading the first entry and the second (this book). I will give the third its time, but I reckon that'll be a way down the road too.
Paul Brown
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is how it's done.
Some of these books in the police detective genre can be cookie cutter
and contrived/cliched (Rules of Prey by John Sandford I'm looking at you).
Book one and this one were both excellent.
Lori Wolf
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this- also a free kindle download. It helped that I read the first one prior to this - characters, storyline, etc, but I feel that it would be enjoyable even for someone new to the series. Great book!
Dawn
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reviewed with book 3
  • Night Corridor
  • Shake Down (Jack Davis Mystery, #1)
  • Someone's Watching
  • Sleep Tight
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • Family Secrets (A Cop in the Family, #1)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • The Lethal Effect
  • The Paperboys Club
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Legwork
  • Tropical Dreams
  • False Convictions (Casey Jordan, #3)
  • The Bluejay Shaman
  • Snake Skin (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #1)
  • The Mirror and the Mask (Jane Lawless, #17)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)

Laura Cardinal (5 books)
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1)
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)
  • Cry Wolf (Laura Cardinal #4)
  • Flight 12

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club