Start by marking “Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising (Destiny and Darkness #2)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising (Destiny and Darkness #2)

Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising

(Destiny and Darkness #2)

Not three months ago, I’d been a daughter of the Ice Crown, the lands of snow and ice. Everything I had, everything I was, existed in a tiny world of its own, a single snowflake in a snowstorm. And then, like a candle blown out by careless lips, all of it had been extinguished in an instant.

The kingdom is under threat. A secret, desperate plot to change the course of
Published November 2019 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Fire

Start your review of Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising (Destiny and Darkness #2)
Lex Kent
3.75 Stars. I’m happy to say that I enjoyed this more than book one. This is book two in the Destiny and Darkness series. I do have to say that I still wish that this story had not been broken up into two books. I think my overall enjoyment would have been higher had I read it as one continuous book. Book one was about setting the storyline up where this book had all the action so they were not really balanced on their own. But now that both books are out, anyone can read them right in a row so ...more
Carrie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark.

I was not prepared for just how dark this series would get. And I loved every minute of it.

This is the second installment in the 'Destiny and Darkness' series. In book one we were introduced to the upstart pyromancer, Aeryn. She found herself away from home and studying to become a war mage in Kings City, fell for a girl who is bonded to another, and on the cusp of revenge toward those who attacked her Ice Crown village.

Things begin exactly where readers were left hanging at the end of
Betty
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karen Frost is going to make me like fantasy stories if she keeps this up. Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising , the second book in the Destiny and Darkness series is definitely action packed. The second book begins where the first book in the series, Daughter of Fire: Conspiracy of the Dark left off. Aeryn, a young war mage-in-training, Lyse, a healer-in-training mage who Aeryn is attracted to, and several of her fellow students are facing grave danger as they discover a threat to the ...more
Jude
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I was hoping, the first book, Daughter of Fire: Conspiracy of the Dark, was setting the scene and this one is where the action really takes place. Yet not all the action since it, once again, ends on a cliffhanger, although it’s a lot less frustrating than the end of book 1.

Daughter of Fire: The Darkness Rising starts where the previous book ended, with Lyse restraining Aeryn, preventing her from attacking the ambassador of the people she holds responsible for her family’s death. There’s a
Bethany
If you're looking for the lesbian version of Harry Potter, look no further!

Frost's first installment Daughter of Fire: Conspiracy of the Dark really caught my attention, but frustrated me a bit with the ending. The story felt half done and cut up in a strange place. With this novel, the story feels much, much more complete and it's a winner!

I mentioned Harry Potter earlier, and it really does feel very similar. In this story you have magical mages learning to control their magic in a school,
Della
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Karen Frost has hit her stride in Book 2 of the Daughter of Fire series. The Darkness Rising is smoothly written, balancing just the right amounts of narrative and description while pairing it with an exciting adventure. This is Fantasy writing at its best!

Aeryn,the War Mage, is continuing to study and improve her powers at Windhall University outside King’s City. She has become friends with fellow mage students as well as continuing her close ties to Lyse, who is a healer in training and
Colleen Corgel
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great read, especially if you pair it with book one. While I still think that the narrative would work better if book one and two were put together as one book, and the third starts the new arc being set up in this book. This book starts right after the first, with almost no exposition to help new readers along. The pace of this book compared to the last one is almost blazingly fast, as the events start piling up. So many of the events in the first book have their conclusion in this ...more
Sascha Broich
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*ARC from Ylva for review*

The second book continues where the first so unexpectedly ended.
Aeryn learns some more about the disappearances that have her concerned. She meets the knight Asher. She was a squire to Idras, who Aeryn met in the first book. Asher supports her search and at the same time ignites jealousy in Lyse.
Unexpected for Aeryn she also gets support from almost all of her fellow students. Together they unravel the mystery of the dark magic users behind the kidnappings. And step
MiskaCZ
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An ARC copy was given to me by YLVA for a honest review.

I must confess that I liked this book more than the first one. The story about Aeryn and Lyse progress and I confess that I couldnt lay this book away. The story continues with conspiracy against the king and goes on with fighting for against powerful enemy.

I really liked the developing of both characters and I really looking forward to read more of the story.

I have only small wish to know more about the other characters Pavo, Gamiel,
Frankie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recensione su Book Lover

All'inizio pensavo che questa fosse una duologia, quindi ero abbastanza confusa dal finale, ma poi ho letto che ci sarà un terzo volume. Quando, non lo so, ma dovrò assolutamente leggerlo.

Aeryn continua ad indagare sulle persone scomparse nella città. Questa volta, però, oltre che da Lyse si fa aiutare anche da da altri personaggi. Continuando a scavare, però, trovano le radici di una cospirazione che potrebbe distruggere il regno.
Parallela a questa linea avventurosa c'è
Carol Hutchinson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure!!!

Aeryn is continuing her journey after discovering her powers, and finding herself in the capture of the kingdom and being trained to fight. Something is a foot in the kingdom, and not all that Aeryn knew is as it seems. With everything going on, Aeryn not only has to learn to control her powers, but who and what she should trust. The adventure takes many twists and turns in the search for the truth, and justice to be served.

I loved the adventure and magic in this story, and
R
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Darkness Rising is the second book in the Destiny of Darkness Series. I would definitely recommend reading it in order to get a complete understanding of the storyline.

This second book, also Aeryn’s perspective, continued where book one ended. But unlike the first book where the characters and plot needed to be slowly developed, this storyline was fast paced and action packed. Aeryn, Lyse, and the other mages found themselves in the midst of Dark Magic with danger lurking all around King’s
Jaie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019, pub-ylva
I'm disappointed with this book. I loved the world building in the first book (which shouldn't be its own book...) But the pacing here felt too fast by comparison. The story got complicated with lots of new characters or organizations introduced - and I got confused. I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed generally.

*Karen used to write for AferEllen but she quit because she didn't agree with their politics - thank you Karen*

[Below was my note, Karen commented below to clarify/update]
Another
terry decker
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I loved this sequel. I enjoyed that the action picked up right from the start. Aeryn’s magic grew so amazingly well. I thought that Lyse and she were great when they bonded and how they worked together was amazing. I thought it was great that they were able to bring Firdas back his powers. This is a great series and I’m looking forward to book 3. I would recommend this series and definitely start with book 1. This is a great YA book and the writing is very good.

I read an ARC provided by YLVA in
M the avid reader
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book and its prequel back to back if you can for maximum enjoyment (3.5 stars)
I read the first book in this series when it was first available and had questions then about what information there was going to be pertinent, which characters needed to be remembered etc to take into the reading of this sequel. Although that was only two months ago, that was long enough (with dozens of other books being read in between) for me to forget major details from the first book. There is some recap
Jane Clements
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good reasons why one long book is published as a trilogy (or more):
1. Each book contains its own discrete story with a beginning, middle and end (eg, The Millennium Series or the Harry Potter series;
2. Because it’s so long it’s impossible to print in one volume (eg, Lord of the Rings, The Oxford English Dictionary, The Encyclopedia Britannica).

I’m therefore baffled as to why The Daughter of Fire has been split into (at least) three volumes. Books one and two could easily have been published in
Karen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
So far this is an entertaining series. This installment starts right where the last one left off with Aeryn reeling from her discovery. Then the book expands into a hectic, puzzling (for the characters) adventure with new friends and foes, and no one is sure which is which. Aeryn’s suspicions are confirmed but she has to decide what to do with that knowledge.

On top of all that, Aeryn’s training continues. While she learns new skills, her feelings for Lyse continue but she also meets an
Danie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I was given this ARC by the publisher in exchange for an Honest Review.

The first book in the series left off with such a cliffhanger that I wasn't sure what I was going to do if it was too too too long in between that and this second book, thankfully, I didn't have to wait long.

It's more with Aeryn, Lyse, and the gang. They get deeper and deeper into something where they don't quite know all the moving parts. It was a crazy intense and fun ride for sure, and, it was what I hoped, since, the
Denise Kyte
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second book in the series and starts directly from the cliff hanger ending of the first.
The first book contains a lot of world and character building so I'd definitely recommend reading that before this.
I enjoyed the development in the relationship between the two main characters. We also learn more about the ensemble cast many of whom have big roles to play.
There's a lot of action and dark themes explored.
Overall I
Dr E
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This second instalment is a big improvement on the first book in this series. This one is less descriptive, although that is still a bit of an issue in places. Also I started to care about the characters a bit more, and some of the action is quite gripping. It could do with being pared down in places. You know when American TV has way too much narration instead of relying on the acting, well this book spends a bit too much time setting the scene rather than living makes the book a bit clunky and ...more
Gail
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is book 2 in the Destiny and Darkness Series. I struggled with the plot and was frustrated with main characters Lyse and Aeryn. While the supporting characters were more fleshed out, I found overall it was difficult to sink into the story and re-read sections to make sense of things. Not a horrible read by any means but I can only rate it 2 stars.
An ARC was rec'd from Ylva Publishing for my honest review.
Cheryl
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An epic tale continues. So much happens in this book that I'm not sure where to start. There is an evolution of Aeryn and Lyse's bond but there are more dimensions than that.

At times I felt that there were gaps but the speed of the plot was always enough to keep the reader engaged and on the end of their seat. The flow was also well crafted and this book will not disappoint.
M

• Changing the Script
  • The Roommate Arrangement
  • The Wrong McElroy
  • Slammed
  • Candice Cushing and the Lost Tomb of Cleopatra (The Cushing-Nevada Chronicles, #2)
  • The X Ingredient
  • The Words Shimmer
  • The Long Shot
  • Tight Knit
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Back to September
  • Holly and Ivy: A Lesbian Holiday Romance
  • Cost of Honor (Honor, #10)
  • Penny on Parade
  • Top of Her Game
  • After the Summer Rain
  • A Heart This Big
  • Borage (The Plague Tree Coven, #1)

Destiny and Darkness (2 books)
  • Daughter of Fire: Conspiracy of the Dark (Destiny and Darkness #1)