Jump to ratings and reviews
“Must be brave, stubborn, and impervious to the tempers of loved ones.”

The first line hissed with history.

“Hours are endless, pay is non-existence, quitting absolutely forbidden.”

The second line ached with truth.

“Able to function on no sleep, refrain from running when times get hard, and be more than just a living canvas but a lover.”

The third thrummed with honesty.

“Other attributes required: forgiving, opinionated, and not afraid to tell me when I’m wrong. Must also enjoy being touched and kissed at any time of my choosing.”

The fourth glowed with promise.

“Call or email ‘YOUR HEART, HIS SOUL’ if interested in applying.”

The final made my future unfold.

The advert was so similar to one I should never have applied for.
A twist of fate that brought two destined people back together.
A job I would take in a heartbeat if the employer could offer such terms.
But I wasn’t free.
Neither was Gil.
Therefore, my interview could never happen.

353 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 15, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pepper Winters

82 books15.6k followers
Pepper Winters is a multiple New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today International Bestseller.

She currently has thirty books released in nine languages. She’s hit best-seller lists (USA Today, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal) thirty-three times. She dabbles in multiple genres, ranging from Dark Romance to Coming of Age.

After chasing her dreams to become a full-time writer, Pepper has earned recognition with awards for best Dark Romance, best BDSM Series, and best Hero. She’s an multiple #1 iBooks bestseller, along with #1 in Erotic Romance, Romantic Suspense, Contemporary, and Erotica Thriller. With 20 books currently published, she has hit the bestseller charts twenty-nine times in three years.

Pepper is a Hybrid Author of both Traditional and Self-published work. Her Pure Corruption Series was released by Grand Central, Hachette.

Her books have garnered foreign interest and are currently being translated into numerous languages, including already released titles in Italian, French, Hebrew, German, and Turkish.

NEWSLETTER: http://www.subscribepage.com/www.pepp...

Or follow her on her website

www.pepperwinters.com

She loves mail of any kind: pepperwinters@gmail.com

You can stalk her here:

Pinterest/Pepperwinters
Facebook Pepper Winters
Twitter @pepperwinters
Blog pepperwinters.wordpress.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
100 (5%)
1 star
18 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 335 reviews
Profile Image for Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger.
415 reviews497 followers
October 12, 2019
ezgif-com-video-to-gif

Pepper Winters, you are the Master of Trickery. The Wizard of words. The Love Executioner... And I'm addicted to your writing, DAMN IT!!! 👏👏👏

📚 "𝗕𝗿𝘂𝘀𝗵 𝗯𝘆 𝗯𝗿𝘂𝘀𝗵, 𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘆𝗲𝗱 𝗺𝗲.
𝗖𝗼𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗿, 𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗱 𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗶𝗲." 📚

The "Master of Trickery" duet is obviously in a league of its own! Utterly unique, unputdownable, undeniably epic, unquestionably outstanding! 💛
It was one big emotional roller coaster! From the moment I started, I couldn't stop, until the wee hours of the morning. 😱

📚 "𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘆. 𝗟𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘀𝘀. 𝗙𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗶𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗲." 📚

Since they were teenagers, Olin and Gil could never trust their families to be there for them, so they became a family to each other... until he disappeared. 💔

Gil has grown to be a broken man, pushed into a dark corner and he is now devastated. Everything was taken from him, including his fighting spirit. He made a mistake by deciding to deal alone, without sharing with the people who love him, and now, he has to pay for his mistakes in the most painful way possible! 😭

📚 "𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝘀𝗲’𝘀.” 📚

Although Olin is his missing puzzle piece to his broken soul, Gil's actions have pushed her tp finally to be strong.The wheels have turned and the balance of power changed - While in the first book Olin pushed Gil for answers and explanations so she could protect him... now she no longer wants to hear what he has to say. 😱🤐

📚 “𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘀𝗼 𝗜 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝘁𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂... 𝗡𝗼𝘄, 𝗜 𝗱𝗼𝗻’𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝘁𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗺𝘆𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳.” 📚

Gil can't stop thinking about her... wanting her... loving her... but Olin is lost, confused, heartbroken and... trapped - all because of the caused that made Gil leave her in the past and because of the reason that made him be so cold to her in the present. 😱😱😱
He is still damn stubborn.
She is still too good.
But time is running out ... for both of them.
Their journey is full of lies, betrayal, mystery and pain. Can they save each other or maybe all they do is break one anther? 💔

📚 "𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗜 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗮𝘆 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱𝗯𝘆𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗿? 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗜 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂�� 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿?
𝗕𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗜 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜’𝗱 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲?" 📚

After the first book in the duet, I'll admit I was expecting something completely different, and still, I enjoyed every minute of these books! I got angry, hurt, I was frustrated, cried like a baby and emoji hearts flew out of my eyes! 😍😍😍
Even when I thought I knew what way the plot was going, I was wrong, because as always, Pepper's books are unexpected, full of drama, emotion and surprising twists... And the sex scenes? OH MY GOD. There is no other author who writes such accurate and hot scenes as she does. 🔥❤

📚 “𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻’𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲, 𝗚𝗶𝗹𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘁 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗸.”
“𝗜’𝗺 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲.”
“𝗜 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗰𝘂𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂. 𝗜 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂.”
“𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱.”
𝗧𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗲𝗿𝘂𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗳𝗿𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻. “𝗦𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗰𝗮𝗻’𝘁 𝗜?” 📚

I'll take the stage to apologize to my husband again, for screaming at him on Yom Kippur when he decided to start a conversation with me just as I was getting into a particularly hot part ("WHAT? Don't you know not to bother me while I'm reading Pepper's books?!") - No wonder he doesn't like her... 😂🤷‍

Pepper Winters is no doubt my favorite author! I absolutely LOVE her writing style and twisted mind, which means I'm a bit biased... LOL 😂
But if you like different books, emotional and heart-wrenching - this duet is DEFINITELY for you! ❤💛

*** 𝕀 𝕣𝕖𝕔𝕖𝕚𝕧𝕖𝕕 𝕒𝕟 𝔸ℝℂ 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕣 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕒𝕟 𝕙𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨 ***

GET YOUR COPY NOW: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WN1XS91

Follow me on Instagram: 🎉 https://www.instagram.com/the_romanti...
Profile Image for Pepper Winters.
Author 82 books15.6k followers
Read
October 15, 2019
The Master of Trickery is Available Now
Both Books are LIVE and the duet is COMPLETE!
Ready to binge read.

Amazon.uk: https://amzn.to/2KPeyjw
Amazon.ca: https://amzn.to/2YXqjhv
Amazon.au: https://amzn.to/2HcgWQi
Paperback: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1699283028
Profile Image for Hulya Kara Yuksel.
870 reviews1,049 followers
October 10, 2019
Full review to come later.. 🤗

***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review. ❤❤❤
Profile Image for Sophie "Beware Of The Reader".
1,253 reviews336 followers
October 13, 2019
4,5 stars

I promised Pepper a spoiler free review and this won’t have spoiler but it will be so hard as the synopsis is super vague!

Plot wise I will only say that the book begins right where we were left in The Body Painter.

You recall that cliffhanger from hell? Where Olin’s fate was not looking good at all? Well this is the opening scene and I won’t say more about the plot as it would spoil something!

Let’s just focus on what this book made me feel and my thoughts about Gil.

What Gil did in that opening scene is unforgivable. I may have understood why he did it as he was between a rock and a hard place but it does not mean that I liked it. Not at all!

When I learned the extend of his sins I was shocked! I raged against his decisions. I thought he should have made other choices. I wanted to scold him like I would a child.

But at the same time, I could not help feel sad for him. So, so, sad! Because Gil was not evil. Yet he did very questionable things.

I think this quote is the best ever to show who Gil was:

« Gilbert Clarke is a boy from a bad neighborhood, born to an abusive father, and someone who prefers to suffer in silence than to ask for help. Overall, Gilbert Clark is not a bad man. He’s just one who fell into bad situations and didn’t ask for help.”

This book has been a roller coaster of emotions.

It’s been very angsty with life or death situations, with huge uncertainties on the future, with prices to pay to atone for past deeds. They say Hell is paved with good intentions well this could be Gil’s life in a nutshell. Gil was not the only one who suffered the aftermath of his bad choices.

My heart pounded from the first words of the opening scene, I was on edge barely breathing. Then came the angst, the worry, the sadness. Some brighter moments but always that dark cloud weighting heavily and ominously on Gil’s future.

I really can’t say much more except that Gil had a very long way to go if he ever wanted one day, maybe, be at peace and leave his awful past behind.

If you read this book, I promise that you will:

-rage;

-shout;

-cry;

-hope;

-despair;

-hope again

And fall forever for Gilbert Clarke, abused by life, making poor choices but always wanting to sacrifice himself for the ones he loved.

Last note: I realized that Pepper had incredibly similar music tastes as mine 😉

Are you a fan of Pepper Winters?
Thanks for reading!
Sophie
Find me on:
Wordpress: Beware Of The Reader
Facebook: Beware Of The Reader
Facebook group : Beware Book Boyfriends Alert
Instagram: @bewareofthereader
Twitter: @BewareOffReader
Profile Image for Bex (Beckie Bookworm).
1,870 reviews1,194 followers
October 29, 2019
45697069._SY475_-1.jpg

This is the concluding part of the story and book one does need to be read first here.
So we start this exactly where we left things with that shocking finale and my heart was literally breaking for the sheer grief and betrayal that must have been running through Poor Orin with her current circumstances.
This was very much a lose-lose scenario for all involved and while on the one hand I kinda understood how we had arrived at this set of circumstances I still thought that Gil's decisions lacked cohesive thought and he was largely responsible for where we are now at.
This book mainly deals with the repercussions and fallout from its predecessor and while the secrets and lies are exposed here the consequences for Orin and Gil are not good and are very real.
On O's part, the love is still there but Gil has lost her trust completely and though he is desperate to gain it back she doesn't know if she can ever forgive his prior actions.
So I get that O was upset and betrayed and all that Jazz but bloody hell that girl is indecisive and it was annoying in the extreme.
She needed to decide what she wanted and just stick with it, in the previous book, it was all I want you whatever it takes and in this, it was all it's over I can never forgive you but I will still jump your bones anyway.
I get it he betrayed her in the worst possible way he could but make a decision one way or the other and mean it.
Finally and this is a small thing, I take it this was set in the UK, in Birmingham actually, there was a couple of things that stood out to me that were small things but bugged me nevertheless.
The first was CPS (child protective services) in the UK its social services, not CPS we would never use the former phrase its a USA term.
Secondly being kept back at school if your behind academically is not a thing in the UK I know it is in many countries but the UK is not one of them it doesn't happen here.
These are small things in the scheme of the story but being British I did pick up on them so thought they deserved a mention.
So, in conclusion, this was a really imaginative series, bit too heavy on the angst for me personally.
but how much you enjoy this will all depend on your fiction taste.
It was well written and definitely original in its content.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of The Living Canvas (Master of Trickery Duet, #2).

45697069._SY475_-2.jpg

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com
Profile Image for Radd Reader.
854 reviews400 followers
October 24, 2019
“Where do I belong?
Easy. With him.
With the man who’d terrified me, sacrificed me, almost died for me.
With the boy who’d claimed me, loved me, protected me.
With the body painter who saw past my colours and painted his own upon my heart.”

Book 2 - you must read book 1 first.

Characters:
Olin: she grew up with parents who didn’t care about her life. She wasn’t physically abused, but she was severely neglected. Gil and dancing brought her happiness in her youth. Seven years have gone by and in book 1 she desperately tried to reconnect with Gil and was constantly pushed away. Now he may have crossed a line by putting her life in jeopardy.

Gil: Gil grew up in a whore house. His father was a pimp and an alcoholic and he had no idea who his mother was. Olin was the only bright spot in his life, but outside forces made sure he did not spend time with her. He was raped by a teacher in high school, which resulted in a baby girl the teacher dropped off on his doorstep. Forced to grow up and put his daughter’s needs first, he leaves his hometown (and Olin) behind and carves out a life for himself using live models as his painting canvas. His daughter becomes his new bright spot and he will do anything to save her life.
”With my meagre possessions and brand new baby, I slipped from the whore house, stole through the streets, and bought a train ticket to London. I never looked back.”

My Thoughts:
“It’s always been you. It will always be you. I don’t know how to survive without you.”

Book 2 picks up exactly where Book 1 left off and I liked it so much better. This book clips along at a good pace and although there is still some push/pull between Olin and Gil, it was much less than the previous book (Thank God!)

Gil has been dealt crappy hand after crappy hand and his determination to push forward no matter the situation was admirable. He was put in an impossible position and my heart really broke for him. 💔
“It’s always my word against someone else’s.”

Thankfully the situation with the bad guy was resolved early (around 25%) which left the remaining portion of the book to focus on the relationships between the 4 main characters and the fallout from the confrontation with the bad guy.

Gil, Olive, Olin and Justin....what a fantastic group of individuals. I loved how their relationship evolved from tentative to full-on family. After everything that Gil and Olive had been through over the past year, Justin and Olin’s support was essential.
“You need our help. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t make you weak. It doesn’t make us hate you for asking for help.”

This author always weaves magical stories with her incredible words, and this book is no different. Gil’s desperation, guilt and sorrow was written so well that the emotion just leapt off the page. Olin’s conflicted emotions were relatable and Olive’s actions and reactions were spot on. And....don’t even get me started on Justin. Could there be a more perfect friend??? 🥰🥰 These four brought all the feels and when I closed the book I was very happy and satisfied with the outcome.
”He left behind all the mess between us. He walked into the future where all our dreams came true. And I followed him.”

Quotes:
“Gilbert Clark had been through a lot. He’d dealt with things no one should have to deal with. He’d never had anyone to rely on and kept far too much sorrow to himself.”

“I don’t think I want you as my weird godfather, but you can be my friend...I guess.”

“You make him whole. You take away all his pain, internal and external.”

“You’re a walking gift of pain, Gilbert Clark.”
“And you’re the ultimate gift of redemption, Olin Moss.”

“Must be brave, stubborn, and impervious to the tempers of loved ones.
Hours are endless, pay is non-existence, quitting absolutely forbidden.
Able to function on no sleep, refrain from running when times get hard, and be more than just a living canvas but a lover… a mother.
Must also enjoy being touched and kissed at any time of my choosing.
Call or email ‘YOUR HEART, HIS SOUL’ if interested in applying.”
Profile Image for Allyson.
451 reviews44 followers
October 28, 2019
**ARC provided through Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours! **

This book was better than the first one in which Olin finally stood up for herself a little more. The one thing that made me want to strangle her was the fact she was so hurt about what Gil HAD to do to. I mean come on who wouldn't do the same thing he did. I liked the suspense in the beginning, I absolutely loved Olive. Justin was a great friend to them all. Gil poor poor Gil.. when all the secrets came out, I was shocked, crushed and so so sad. I loved that finally he got to get it all off his shoulders and started to live freely !! All in all a good read!!
Profile Image for SusanAhh.
483 reviews122 followers
November 3, 2019
“Love painted in pain.”

“You’re a walking gift of pain, Gilbert Clark.” “And you’re the ultimate gift of redemption, Olin Moss.”

I recently read Pepper Winters blog and basically, she said that really did not like this duet which she wrote. I was baffled a bit by her statements regarding her own work. While she may feel this way, I personally am here to tell you that I truly loved this duet! I love the ideas, complexity, the eroticism and the struggle that the heroine and hero went through as a result of the choices they made while being victims of the evil, cruel and careless villains in their world.

Certainly, the hero Gibert Clark started out as a dark anti-hero and his character progressed almost to the point of repulsive. His slow redemption came from his first one true forever love, Olin, with her noble and loving heart, viewed by some readers as weak. Yet, she proved to be a warrior, advocate and healer. She is a survivor that always held on to the bright side of life with hope, despite life-changing setbacks, traumas and tragedies.

Ms. Winters writing is always simply beautiful and this story was inventive, suspenseful while laying bare the suffering of the naive being coerced and manipulated, a decent and loving man being tortured and blackmailed,Gilbert Clark, and a young women whose parents have all but abandoned her, Olin Moss. She had to suffer the destruction of a her dreams by her body being broken in a life-altering accident. She also suffered the loss of her one true love inexplicably not once but twice. The last time was unspeakably traumatic.

Somehow, no matter how twisted and dark the tale, there are pops of color and light that explode in erotic scenes whether tender or rough or in revealing the core or development of her characters. Ms Winters, I am in awe of your talent for beautiful words and soul deep ideas. You take us to dark places and lead us back to the light..even back to ourselves.

I realize the Pepper Winters has set the bar extremely high for her writing. I have read most of what she has published and I have never been disappointed. Her insight into human nature both dark and light is ever present in your characters. Eventually she takes the reader to a profound and sublime place after dragging our hearts through devastation.

Thank you for writing this, Ms. Winters. It is a triumph and comfort especially for those who have ever been manipulated into false choices by being vulnerable to the evil doers in this world. I highly recommend any reader of complicated, darker romance that stings at first to read this beautiful duet.
Profile Image for Shabby  -BookBistroBlog.
1,401 reviews736 followers
October 20, 2019
The fastest paced story by Pepper Winters which in itself is a big feat. She generally draws out the story in its full panorama of drama, angst, turbulent emotions with the full spectrum of actions and their consequences at an unhurried tread.
But here She changes the trot and the speed adds to the melodrama. Add to that an intoxicating journey of frustrating, unrequited love and you have pure concentrated dose of misery on your kindle.
"Our foundations were rotten and full of holes.
Our walls were riddled with secrets and lies.
Our trust was torn apart.
There is no us anymore."

Book 1 took its fare share of time showing us the background story of Olin and Gil, how they met, the ordeals they went through and the catastrophic cliffhanger where pepper left us hanging bewildered and slackjawed.
"His paint on my skin, and my death on his hands. He didn’t deserve my forgiveness, but he did have my understanding."

description

This book picks up at that same exact point. Tragic and devastating events take place at a rapid pace, I didn't have enough time to collect my thoughts or measure the full impact of intensifying volatility of the situation Gil "forces" O to participate in, leaving her as a bait and then succumbing to the wounds he suffers, I mean it was quite a flurry of activity which is so not Pepper's MO generally, but I LOVED IT!
There's a tautness in the plot which I relished & pulse pounding drama which kept me on tenterhooks throughout. I was a step BEHIND the characters, frustratingly wanting the dice to roll their favor but alas, Pepper's a superior author who doesn't let cheesiness creep in and give unrelatable twists. She actually throws the karmic gauntlet and runs her characters through it to show growth and emphasize the importance of law and protocol.
“Just remember, nothing lasts forever. Good, bad, terrible—it all passes in the end.”
I had many many teary moments, hiccuping with sobs, yelling for my fave characters to be left alone. Gil's fate and tragic solitary figure were reminiscent of Ren from Ribbon series, not in life story but in pathetic feel. I so wanted him to catch a break, prayed to Gods above to let him breathe a bit, have a respite to hug his daughter to his heart's content.
Tragedy was the main emotion in the forefront. The painting scenes which were pregnant with eroticism in book 1 slipped into ticking time clock in book 2. You knew once painting was over, it was time to part
“Be my canvas.”
“It’s too late,” I whispered
“It is too late. Everything is too fucking late. I’m too late to make any money. Too late to fix my business. Too late to save my daughter. Too late to repair everything broken between us. But it’s not too late to say goodbye.”

description

Any scene where Gil and Olin bask in the stolen warmth of their love, was generally followed by untold pain and cataclysmic woe. It made their few and far between minutes of togetherness all the more treasured and momentous.
The twists and turns were severe and inflexible, there was no escaping them or bypassing them.
The narration was slick and relentless, I felt as if I had to read fast or the events would unfold without me!!
The characters of Jeffrey and Olin were remarkably noble and gallant, it could've been caricature like but I personally know of such people in real life, so it was believable to me. There's still too much kindness and good in this world, enough to make me not cynical. Pepper has portrayed that through Jeffrey.
Olive Oyl the Girl prodigy, showed sensibility way beyond her age and considering the emergencies and mishaps that have scarred her, it's remarkable that the child wasn't permanently damaged except a few nightmares. The adorable bond she shares with O and then opens her circle of trust for Jeffrey eventually, highlights the tenacity and grit of this beautiful young girl.

description

And Gil- The tragic Shakespearean hero. His classic personality is of a lonely artist, a creator of magic and trickery where he fools the world yet can't untangle himself from the web of villainous design. His purity of heart is his biggest asset turned into greatest drawback. I loved that he wasn't overrun by cynicism and yet had enough nobility in him for acceptance and resignation.
"I was born to a pimp, whore to a teacher, and now, I’m a collector for a murderer. The first two crimes weren’t my fault. But the third… I’m guilty.”
The story will stay with me forever, it's cogency deriving from the soul stirring story and compelling characters. It rattles you while you read it and leaves you shaken after you're done.
Very unique and unprecedented, impactful and poignant, a typical Pepper Winters saga which will be delightfully devoured by her loyal fans.
5 stars for Owls and Otters
#BookBistroBlogApproved
BookBistroBlog@gmail.com
www.instagram.com/BookBistroBlog
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,557 reviews308 followers
October 19, 2019
The Master of Trickery Duet is complete and oh what a ride we have been taken on, we were left with one heck of a cliffhanger at the end of THE BODY PAINTER and this book picks up right where that one left off. Olin Moss has always been the love of Gilbert Clark's life (and vise versa) even when everything was going so wrong in his life he always clung to his love for her but now his love is what might get her killed.

THE LIVING CANVAS is a fast paced dark romance that has you sitting on the edge of your seat biting your nails with anticipation of what is going to happen next. Can Gil and O ever get the happily ever after? Can they move on after all they have been through?

I enjoyed this book more than the first book in the duet, it could be because of the head space I was in during the time I was reading THE BODY PAINTER was not a good one for that type of read but either way I really enjoyed THE LIVING CANVAS's fast pace action and suspense. The pure rawness of Gil's feelings shown like a beacon on a dark night and it was a beautiful sight to witness when he finally gave into his love for O.

Happy Reading!!!

the living canvas by pepper winters

**I have voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book for my Blog, Nadine's Obsessed with Books**

You can see this and other Reviews I have written along with various cover reveals, excerpts, and giveaways here Nadine's Obsessed with Books
Profile Image for Mirjam.
1,698 reviews94 followers
Shelved as '1-tbr'
August 29, 2019

“Must be brave, stubborn, and impervious to the tempers of loved ones.”
The first line hissed with history.

“Hours are endless, pay is non-existence, quitting absolutely forbidden.”
The second line ached with truth.

The third thrummed with honesty.

The fourth glowed with promise.

“Call or email ‘YOUR HEART, HIS SOUL’ if interested in applying.”
The final made my future unfold.

The advert was so similar to one I should never have applied for.
A twist of fate that brought two destined people back together.
A job I would take in a heartbeat if the employer could offer such terms.
But I wasn’t free.
Neither was Gil.
Therefore, my interview could never happen.

Part of the Master of Trickery Duet Series that has to be read in order:
The Body Painter (Master of Trickery Duet, #1) by Pepper Winters The Living Canvas (Master of Trickery Book 2) by Pepper Winters
Profile Image for Pavlina Read more sleep less blog  .
2,434 reviews4,555 followers
4 STARS

This is the conclusion to The Body Painter, and I couldn't wait for it!It picks up where the first one ended!It's full of emotions and I loved the suspense in this one and I also liked that it was fast paced!

"Love is misery. Lust is loss. Family is my failure."

Olin and Gil's story is emotional!My heart was aching!

"Love...the most terrible weapon of all."

Profile Image for Book Maniac Forever.
908 reviews323 followers

⭐️ 4.5 "Painted Agony" Stars ⭐️
The Living Canvas concludes the amazing Master of Trickery Duet with the same burst of feels to the heart as its predecessor. While the first novel was very suspenseful and mysterious, this final installment is less action-packed, but played on my heartstrings with the same impact! Pepper Winters uses her refined, poetic writing style to translate the amalgam of emotions lived by Olin and Gil in the most powerful and heartrending way!

After the ending of The Body Painter, I needed some answers to all my questions. We slowly get them throughout this story, but it’s a lengthy process. Gil is truly a broken man with all the heartbreak he suffered in his life, but at the same time I was astounded by his level of determination. He made mistakes that might seems unforgivable and it’s some of the stuff he has do deal with. He doesn’t make apologies for his errors and owns them. He may have hurt Olin, but his love for her is still utterly palpable in his actions!

Olin is tenacious in her quest to help Gil with his difficult future, but after his last betrayal she’s questioning her personal future with him. Their shared moments are highlighted by heartache, despair, passion and made my heart flutter from this attack to the senses!

The path to their happily ever after is lined with obstacles that look unsurmountable, but their shining love and true devotion is the key! This couple certainly made me insane from the agony of their unknown faith! While this book is mostly tragic, there’s still sparks of sweetness and hope that light up this spellbinding read! Pepper Winters excels at creating ensnaring universe and the Master of Trickery Duet is another one of these!

** ARC received in exchange for an honest review **
Profile Image for Nikitasbookreviews.
555 reviews49 followers
May 16, 2022
Pepper has once again knocked it out of the park and wowed me!
I’m seriously always amazed with her writing and her work and this one was no different!

This book was seriously amazing and once i got started i was completely sucked in! There were moments where i was on the edge of my seat just waiting to see what happened next!

This duet as a whole was simply amazing but book 2 definitely went to the next level! The suspense and all the words gahh I can’t even begin to say how much i loved every minute of it!

Pepper has always been on of my one click authors and I’m simply amazed with her work! If you guys haven’t read this duet yet then you should! It’s sooo good !

This is a definite 5 ⭐️ read and i highly recommend it!
Profile Image for Egle (readingfreakquotes).
113 reviews7 followers
October 11, 2019
"Love is misery. Lust is loss. Family is my failure."

What an emotional roller coaster this book was. It got my poor heart racing like crazy and at some point, I felt that I might not be able to take any more of Gil's pain.
He is so drenched in sorrow and badly cornered, it could be that he just fought his last battle and there is nothing else that could be taken away from him. He is destroyed beyond the repair.

All Gil's past is revealed to readers and we are given all the answers to explain his behaviour in The Body Painter. And while Olin, aka O, was pushing Gil for the explanations, she might no longer be interested in what he has to reveal...

“I wanted to know so I could protect you...Now, I don’t want to know to protect myself.”

All the truth is too much for Olin to take in. She is lost, she is confused and heartbroken. The need to love Gil, feel him and have him is bigger than Olin is ready to put up with, but she might be the only one that accepts him for who he really is, with all his flaws and complications.

“I don’t want to see it.”
“Then you won’t.”
“I don’t want to see you.”
“But you’re the only one who does.”

Olin and Gil have no one in life to rely on so they become everything to each other since a young age, but their journey is overflowing with lies, mystery, disappointment and betrayal. Can they save each other or will they break each other?

A very suspenseful and emotional story, it kept me reading into the early hours of the morning and left my heart aching for those conflicted but beautiful characters. The amount of turmoil and all sorts of feelings makes this story captivating and totally addicting. So many twists and turns, I didn't know what to expect but it was executed perfectly making it realistic and entrancing.

Pepper Winters is my newly discovered author and I totally fell in love with her writing and storytelling skills. If you are a lover of dark and angsty this duet is definitely for you.
Profile Image for Philomena Callan Cheekypee.
3,874 reviews396 followers
October 19, 2019
Master of Trickery Duet. Make sure you read book one The Body Painter first.

I was super excited to read this story. I loved book one but I felt the author pressed hard on the accelerator with this one. It’s a fantastic conclusion that I basically read in one sitting. I could not put it down.

Expect the unexpected with Pepper Winters. She is an incredibly talented author who will take you places you never knew existed. Can’t wait to see what she writes next.
Profile Image for Rosa Sharon (iScream Book Blog).
1,867 reviews294 followers
October 11, 2019
"Love...the most terrible weapon of all."

His art is his pressure valve. When the pain and anger built up too much to handle the creativity was his outlet. Or, it used to be. Then it turned into survival. No longer could he follow his muse and see what developed, not since he painted himself into a corner that he couldn't escape. Are you wondering what kind of trouble he's gotten into? Well, I wish I could tell you, but it's a secret.

The author has blown my mind...again. Following her down dark paths without knowing where she is leading me has become a favorite pastime. The unknown is like a beacon I can't resist. Never knowing if it's going to lead me to a good place or a bad one, but I'm never disappointed. Lies and betrayal, paint and passion, pain and loss. I fell so hard for these broken characters. I felt so helpless in the face of their torment. The mistakes that couldn't be undone. Forgiveness might have been granted but the pain remains. I wanted so badly to remove the many obstacles keeping them from the forever they dreamed of as teenagers.

"We destroyed each other with a violent kind of lust that incinerated right and wrong, past and present. All I wanted was him. All he needed was me."

This duet had me totally entranced from beginning to end. I could not stop thinking about it even after I finished reading it. Another amazing, spellbinding, thought-provoking masterpiece that guarantees that I'll be ready for wherever she takes me next. The line forms here...
Profile Image for AJ's book-reMarks.
1,196 reviews34 followers
October 10, 2019
This is the conclusion of The Body Painter, Master of Trickery Duet. While the first part is a little slow going the second is chock full of action and drama. You will not want to put it down for fear of missing something.

Would you answer this advertisement?

Must be brave, stubborn, and impervious to the tempers of loved ones.
“Hours are endless, pay is non-existence, quitting absolutely forbidden.”
“Able to function on no sleep, refrain from running when times get hard and be more than just a living canvas but a lover..... a mother."
Other attributes required: forgiving, opinionated, and not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong. Must also enjoy being touched and kissed at any time of my choosing.
Call or email 'Your heart, His soul' if interested in applying.

Keep in mind it's for Eternity!

Pepper Winters has done it again this is a masterpiece!
Profile Image for Diana.
609 reviews165 followers
April 1, 2020
I Don’t Know How I’d Fix You
*self-purchased. No need of sugar daddies called promo teams*

What’s this book about? (I'm trying to give as little spoilers as possible)
The blurb to book two is basically book one’s blurb. It says nothing about what this book will truly be about.

Let me start of by saying how much I loved book one. I believed in this couple. I wanted them to get to places. I bought into their endless for one another. Apparently, this endless love was somewhat one-sided. That’s what the first quarter of the book made me feel like. Yes, one of the leading characters was awfully abused, mentally and physically. Yes, that character couldn’t just have upped and become a strong character out of the blue. The dynamics in the first quarter ruined everything for me. I was annoyed throughout that phase.
I wanted to like Olive. I really did. But that character annoyed the hell out of me and that’s truly unfortunate considering who this person is supposed to represent in the book. How can you be annoyed by Olive, Evil Witch? If it wasn’t for Olive, one of the leading characters would’ve been able to live their life for once, but that character couldn’t do so out of pressure to be there for people who betrayed and hurt them THOROUGHLY. It doesn’t get any worse than that. Everyone bashed book one, but why is book two so uber-rated? Is it because the author started dropping all the toxic hints? I completely shipped how Olin handled that for the better part of the book. It seemed like the author was channeling all the energy she’d received from the reviews; or maybe she’d intended Olin to turn out this way. I don’t know what it was, but it was a somewhat good choice. I looked forward to her living out that truth, but she never got to.
The middle part dragged out and was completely unnecessary for me. It just delayed the inevitable. We could’ve used more post-bad situation at the end and not short epilogues instead of a dragged out middle part of nothingness where Olin went nowhere and did not discover herself away from the drama at all.
I lost all faith in Gil. I truly did and I felt saddened by it. I hate to take Olin’s side on this; she occasionally threw very toxic comments about Olive in her head, the jealousy and all. It was unkind. But the way Gil handled it, of course, Olin would feel jealous and just devastated. I simply couldn’t buy into Gil’s role in Olive’s life. I didn’t buy his doting role. I should probably turn a blind eye due to what he experienced and blame it on his weakness, but, honey, there’s a TON of tortured heroes out there. If they want to have their cake and eat it, too, THEY CAN. I have very conflicting feelings about this story and it was a disappointment. AND NO. I didn’t want an easy out for this couple. I just didn’t feel how everything played out. I agreed with the plot points; the punishment, who got to live, etc etc. The only thing I missed in the plot was Ms Tallup. The author could’ve added that and there would’ve been more sense to the entire book if there was more conflict with her.
I liked The Body Painter and I had expected something else from The Living Canvas. What’s the title mean anyway? I’m very sorry to feel this way. I won’t lose faith in Pepper Winters because she is a dark romance legend. I will continue to read her stories.

ORIGINAL COMMENT: Everyone hated book one but liked book two. It's the opposite with me.

Instagram
Facebook
Goodreads
Bookbub
Amazon
Profile Image for Keza Campbell.
346 reviews
February 11, 2020
I'm thinking it's just me or I'm having an off day but I just couldn't stand it.
Honestly.
I have read so many Pepper winters books and Fucking loved them but this duet just couldn't deal.
I'm cringing and rolling my eyes because it was just to fucking darn Gushy...
The one thing I hate in books is the push and pull "go away" "oh no come back" Gah it's so Annoying.
I possibly would have rated it higher if it didn't have that freaking gushed up ending, I don't normally like rating books so low but I only just managed to read it all and for me in my opinion I didn't like it.
Profile Image for talon smith.
705 reviews113 followers
"Love...the most terrible weapon of all."

Well... in conclusion to this duet: I did not love this last book and I did not hate it. I feel like the author really rushed to get The Living Canvas out and the repetitiveness and the scenarios that we have already seen played out throughout the entire book... was just not needed. Too much rushing, not enough time tending to a more stronger plot line.

Pepper always has such emotional writing and this book really wasn't any different in that department. Throughout both books we see a lot of struggle in both characters but really other than that-- we don't see much. What we see in the second book is a lot of things that were actually already mentioned and addressed in The Body Painter.

Unfortunately, I found The Living Canvas to be repetitive when it came to the same situations being mentioned and played out over and over. I felt like there was very little progression with the characters and their growth and just not enough answers that seemed to satisfy me. There were some things going on that were different from the first book but I felt as if I was reading about two completely different characters in each chapter that were experiencing the exact same situations from the first book.
Profile Image for Caro.
509 reviews30 followers
March 17, 2021
No fue para nada como el primer libro. Creo que Pepper no sabe escribir finales en estas bilogías. La incorporación de Olive, la cárcel, la falta de química rotunda que hubo entre Olin y Gil, sobre todo después de leer lo que fue The Body Painter... No hicieron que esta lectura fuera algo más que un trámite para darle un cierre a la historia. Como ya ocurrió con uno de mis favoritos, "Crown of Lies", con este tampoco supo resolver la segunda parte.
Profile Image for MissPetiteBrunetteBookBlog.
908 reviews165 followers
October 9, 2019
Gilbert Clark and Olin Moss are back in the highly anticipated second book in The Master of Tricky series and believe me when I say you will not be disappointed! I have never read such stories that drag you fully into them and make you feel them deep within your soul. We begin right where the shocking cliffhanger left off in The Body Painter. Will Gilbert “Gil” be able to escape his past or will he finally show his true colors? Can Olin “O” save not only herself but Gil too and find out what he is hiding? This is one intense, emotional, thrilling & beautiful journey. We finally get the full back story of everything that led up to what is happening and all our questions will be answered. You will not be able to put this masterpiece down!!! Gilbert Clark is truly the perfect tortured soul! Oh, and you made me get teary eyed, AGAIN!! Absolute Perfection! Told in dual POV
Profile Image for Jean.
798 reviews43 followers
December 27, 2019
I was so looking forward to this book after the major cliffhanger of book 1, and am sad to say I was completely disappointed. The beginning wrapped up a few things, but then I felt like the book just dragged on and on.....

Sorry, I normally love all books by Pepper Winters, but this one just fell flat for me.
Profile Image for Kimberly Carrington-Fox.
701 reviews158 followers
October 25, 2019
Luego actualizo la reseña con la parte en español, pero tendría la valoración del anterior, entre 2'5 y 3 estrellitas.

[Thanks Netgalley for the ebook. This review is my honest opinion but just another opinion, you should read this book and judge it by yourself 😊]

This is the end of Gil and Olin's story and, although I didn't love The Body Painter, it got me hooked. Sadly, I found The Living Canvas less addictive. It's not a bad book but it isn't one I'm going to remember. The murders mistery is resolved too soon (quite poorly, I must add) so you have almost the entire book dedicated to other problems that didn't have the same strenght. One of the things I liked is getting to see Gil's true character. Although I love strong H, I must confess that hard guys with sensible hearts can make me melt. I suffered a lot with Gil's past (it was the best thing of the previous book) and seeing him again in trouble was very sad and touching. O never got to me at the same level. If I found the book repetitive it's mostly because of her, she's always going through the same idea when we all know she got her mind made up. I now Gil is also very repetive but his problems are much more serious and more intriguing to the reader. And Olive and Justin are very charming but too flat (seriously, a guy like Justin!?!? Too good to be true).
Like I said, the book it's ok but it's not a reading I'm going to remember. It's well written but too repetitive and sometimes too simple for my taste. However, the sex scenes are great and the love ones very cute. I wouldn't mind reading more Pepper Winter books.
Profile Image for Nonieღserenity2bliss.
1,792 reviews332 followers
October 24, 2019
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the book. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

If you have read the first book, then the second book is a must-read for it picks up immediately from where book one ends.

I thought The Body Painter was difficult to read.

I was wrong.

The Living Canvas had me in tears.

I'm not going to say much about it because I think it's difficult to do otherwise without giving it away. Suffice to say, The Living Canvas is a brilliant read!
Profile Image for Caroline.
1,064 reviews6 followers
October 21, 2019

« Love… the most terrible weapon of all. » Pepper Winters has blown my mind again. Amazingly creative and masterfully written, The Living Canvas concludes the story of Gilbert Clark and Olin Moss. Please make sure to read The Body Painter first...

Profile Image for AC Book Blog .
919 reviews116 followers
November 4, 2019
This is a duet. Read The Body Painter first which ended with a cliffhanger.
Olin Moss has big dream to be a dancer but her plan was disrupted – she is emotionally and physically scar. Now living back home in England she is barely making rent so when an ad for a job came up she did not hesitate to apply. Said job is a living canvas…naked! What happened when she came face to face with her new boss Gil Clark aka the man who broke her heart seven years prior?
Second book, we will find out who Gil really is and all that came with his complicated life. Olin found herself in a sticky situation too thanks to Gil but you can’t blame a man who would sacrifice anything for his daughter. I feel really bad for Gil – he was dealt a shitty card at a young age. A tortured soul who is determined to make everything right but it is an uphill battle. This book is a little faster than the first. It’s also more interesting as we get all the unanswered questions. The plot continues to be intense, drama, suspense, surprises at every turn for the first half. Then, the story is a bit lighter with focus on the four main characters, how relationship evolve, how they navigate life after tragedy, and ultimately HEA. Over all, this duet is dark and emotional. A broken hero and his road to redemption. It’s about unconditional love between lovers and also father and daughter. It’s about forgiveness and a second chances.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 335 reviews