Start by marking “The Recovery of Rose Gold” as Want to Read:
The Recovery of Rose Gold

The Recovery of Rose Gold

Sharp Objects meets My Lovely Wife in this tightly drawn debut that peels back the layers of the most complicated of mother-daughter relationships...

Paperback, Advanced Readers Copy, 340 pages
Expected publication: March 2020 by Penguin Random House

Start your review of The Recovery of Rose Gold
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH NNOOOOO!!! This is too nasty, disturbing, agitating and creepy! This is totally sick, insane, dark, edgy! CARRIE MEETS HULU’S “ACT” SHOW! And I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! Who cares if I’m not normal! I loved those brilliant, ultra evil genius brain cells of the author. If I ever have plastic surgery, I will demand to have that kind of batshit crazy brain cells so I can enjoy more creepier, nail destroyer, body hair lifter, and scary stories. As a result: I can happily give 5 gazillion stars ...more
Miranda Reads
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!

(Ps. This one is technically going to be published next year but it was so good, I let it slide)

description

All these years, I've been telling people she was sick.
Look who was right after all.
Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life believing she was sick.

A chromosomal abnormality is what her mother (Patty
Meredith
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Mother vs Daughter. Crazy vs Crazier. Who will win in the end?

Darling Rose Gold is a psychological thriller about an extremely dark and twisted mother-daughter relationship.

5 years ago, 23-year-old Rose Gold Watt’s mother, Patty, was convicted for aggravated child abuse. Patty, who has Munchausen by Proxy, abused her daughter for years. Under her mother’s care, Rose Gold became violently ill, suffering from malnutrition and a host of other ailments as a result of her mother's abuse.

Patty
Susanne  Strong
5 Sick and Seriously Twisted Stars!
Now that’s my Kind of Read!

Mothers and Daughters - talk about relationships that are never easy!

Most, however don’t involve mothers who constantly lie and cause extreme harm to their daughters, complicating things just a tad.

Whatever the problem might be, a Good Dose of PRISON is sure to shake things up a bit!

Just ask Rose Gold. She sure is excited for her mom Patty to be released from the slammer after 5 long years. In fact, she almost seems.. gleeful. As
Maureen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**4.5 stars **

“I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Let me say straight off the bat that neither of our protagonists - mother Patty Watts, and daughter Rose Gold Watts are in the least bit likeable, but are they readable? Hell yes!

Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life
Chelsea Humphrey
"Most people don't like holding on to anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged. But some of us cannot forget and will never forgive. We keep our axes sharp, ready to grind. We hold pleas for mercy between our teeth like jawbreakers. They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry. Good thing we're extra strong."

Saddle up and buckle in folks, we have a new popcorn thriller on the horizon! True, this book isn't released in the
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
4 What Did I Just Read! Stars

For the first eighteen years of her life, Rose Gold Watts believed she was seriously ill. She was allergic to everything, used a wheelchair and practically lived at the hospital. Neighbors did all they could, holding fundraisers and offering shoulders to cry on, but no matter how many doctors, tests, or surgeries, no one could figure out what was wrong with Rose Gold.

Turns out her mom, Patty Watts, was just a really good liar.

After serving five years in prison, Patty
marilyn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
Oh my gosh, what a entertainingly wicked book. Rose Gold's mom, Patty, apparently suffers from Munchausen syndrome by proxy and has spent five years in prison for her brutal treatment of Rose Gold. On her release from prison, Rose Gold, with new baby in tow, picks Patty up from prison and allows her to move into her new home. Patty knows this home well because it was her childhood home where horrible things happened and a place Patty hoped to never see again.

This story is told from both the
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Compulsively readable, disturbingly fascinating, & an absolutely unputdownable psychological thriller!

DARLING ROSE GOLD by STEPHANIE WROBEL is one disturbing, dark, twisted, and original thriller that was quite the gripping book to read. I was immediately sucked into the narrative and could not put this book down.

STEPHANIE WROBEL delivers an interesting, fascinating, and well-written read here that offers quite the original and suspenseful plot with complex and dysfunctional characters. The
Felicia
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story and it's characters have more layers than the filtering on my selfies.

"Most people don't like holding onto anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged.

They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

Good thing we're extra strong."

This is a story about revenge.
Michelle
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy! This was pure gluttonous entertainment at it's finest.

What happens when a mother is accused and convicted of Munchausen by Proxy?

Patty is released from jail after serving her time and her daughter, Rose Gold, has decided that she can can come stay with her. Rose Gold would like for them to put the past behind them. It's not her mothers fault that she loved her so much. Rose Gold wants a new start on life and she has a plan to make that happen and what a glorious plan it is.

This book
Kaceey
Finally!! My search is over! The five star thriller I‘ve been searching for!

Oh how I love dysfunctional characters and all their human frailties. And folks, this book is chocked full of them! It was like a mad-cap competition to see who was more unstable.

Rose Gold had a rough childhood, to say the least. Always quite ill, ushered from one doctor to another...one hospital to the next. And never getting any answers.

Patty Watts. A single mother raising her daughter Rose Gold on her own. She has
Holly  B
Dark, complex and plenty of unlikeable characters to hate on...

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is such a fascinating and disturbing disorder. There are many real-life cases that have made headlines. I'm not familiar with the details of any of them, but have seen news reports.

The mommy from hell in this one is Patty Watts. She has been released from prison after five years for abusing her daughter, Rose-Gold Watts. They have decided to move in together and see how it goes....Rose Gold has a
sue
This is definitely going into my top 10 this year on the creepiest, page turning mind twisting edge of my seat reads!

A mothers and daughters relationship is a complicated one. If anyone has a daughter there are going to be some rocky moments. But forget that! That’s a piece of cake!
Meet Rose Gold and her Mother Patty. I don’t know who is worse. When she grew, did she learn from her mother?

As the blurb says, Rose Gold grew up believing there was something wrong with her. The surgeries she had to
Tammy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m in the minority on this one. Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy is a horrifying affliction in which a child is made ill by the mother’s narcissistic need for attention and sympathy. Seemingly based upon the story of Dee Dee and Gypsy Blancharde, I didn’t find this novel to be entertaining. The writing is solid and I’m not opposed to unlikable characters but this made want to take a shower after reading it. It is chillingly unpleasant.
Elyse  Walters
“Darling Rose Gold”....is one of the new psychological thriller *It* books. We have them every year. Excitement for the newest thrilling-thriller.
“Rose Gold Darling”, won’t be released until March of 2020....but the early reviews were expressing ‘suspense-entertainment’ with words such as “dark, shocking, creepy, and unputdownable.
Being curious - I jumped on the OMG wagon.

My first dislike: ( as in a pet peeve dislike)....I’m not a fan of the ‘name’, “Rose Gold”. I’d never want to be called ‘
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
5 mind blowing stars!

Oh my!! What a deliciously dark and twisty tale!

Rose Gold’s mother, Patty, was sentenced to 5 years in prison for abusing Rose Gold for eighteen years by poisoning her and making her appear critically ill. When Patty is released, Rose Gold is there to pick her up from prison along with her two month old son. Rose Gold knows her mother has no one to turn to and feels she has paid her dues for her crime. But, has Patty moved on from her controlling and deceitful ways? Will
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

“Once upon a time, they said, a wicked mother gave birth to a daughter. The daughter appeared to be very sick and had all sorts of things wrong with her. She had a feeding tube, her hair fell out in clumps, and she was so weak, she needed a wheelchair to get around. For eighteen years, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with her.”

I had no idea how much buzz there was about this book on the intertubes until I received
Jayme
4.5 stars!

“Sometimes you accidentally hurt the ones you love"

For eighteen years, Patty Watts had the whole town convinced that her daughter was seriously ill, including Rose Gold, herself.

But, once it was discovered that Patty was the one causing all of these illnesses, she was sentenced to five years in jail.

Now Patty is being released, and Rose Gold is allowing her to come live with her, and her infant son, Adam.

BECAUSE EVERYONE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE! RIGHT?

Make no mistake, although
Julie (JuJu)
If you threw The Act and Mommy Dearest in the blender, you would have a Darling Rose Gold smoothie! One of the best debut thrillers I’ve read! I really sunk my teeth into this one (a little pun you’ll understand when you read the book ).

“Once upon a time, they said, a wicked mother gave birth to a daughter.”

“Poisonous Patty” was the perfect nickname for this mother! I imagined suffocating her with a pillow, among many other things, every time words oozed from her mouth. Rose Gold had all
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Patty Watts, born to be a mother, and loves the smell of hospitals. The thoughts that go through her mind are not normal. She likes to step on peoples toes, literally and on purpose. Her daughter, Rose Gold, likes to hide things. Her smile, her teeth, and whatever it is that she is so careful to keep locked up in her room. Obsession, second chances, suffocating relationships, looking at madness as an option. Is there revenge in the offing,
Tucker
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

Many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

”But people didn’t get excited by stories of forgiveness. They wanted bridges to burn. They wanted dramas that made their own lives feel normal.”

I have very mixed feelings about this book. Then again, I think this book has mixed feelings about this book so it’s all good.

So, what’s this book about?

Darling Rose Gold is about a young woman, Rose Gold, who is trying to get her life together after
Theresa Alan
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an original, dark, disturbing novel. It’s gripping, but neither of the two main characters are likeable. Yes, you have empathy for them because of their terrible childhoods, but they make horrifying decisions that make your eyes goggle.

Rose Gold took the stand five years ago to put her mother away for a lifetime of child abuse, primarily through lack of nutrition and endless lies about her health. I’ve heard of Munchausen by Proxy from TV and movies like The Sixth Sense, but this is the
Ceecee
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What did I just read? I felt like I was watching a deadly game of chess between Lucifer and Beelzebub, or more correctly as the protagonists are women, Mazikeen and Lilith, as they move around the board trying to outsmart each other and achieve checkmate. This book isn’t just dark, it’s downright jet black!

This fast paced and beyond twisty psychological thriller features mother Patty Watts and her daughter Rose Gold Watts. Patty serves a five year jail sentence for the child abuse of Rose Gold
Jaidee
2.5 "might have been...but very readable" stars !!

Darling Rose Gold is one of those books that is very readable and sort of hard to put down. It is at its core a cat and mouse game between mother and daughter who are both highly dysfunctional individuals that put their own needs before the other's. Who will dominate the other within a story of mutual abuse and manipulation ?

The issue I have with many of these psychological chick-lit thrillers is that the author puts cleverness and glibness
Nadia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, suspense
Oh boy, what a book! There are some seriously sick and nasty characters in this book and yet I loved it and couldn't put it down.

This is exactly the kind of book I want to read after a stressfulday at work when I need to rest my brain and just enjoy my reading time. Getting yo know Rose Gold and her mother was one crazy ride that completely sucked me in and let me forget everything else.

The narrative is cleverly done with chapters switching between Rose's and her mother's POV presenting the
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for this wickedly entertaining thriller. It was diabolical, warped, and seriously twisted in an intense, riveting way. It is told in alternate chapters by a mother, ‘Poison Patty’ and her adult daughter, Rose Gold.

Neither woman is remotely likeable and the plot sometimes far fetched, but the suspense was maintained throughout. It was almost impossible to put down.

Patty apparently had Münchausen syndrome by proxy, with the victim being
megs_bookrack
This sounds deliciously dark!

Thank you so much, Berkley Books, for my advanced copy. Your kindness is always appreciated!

Dennis
We have all heard of these Munchhausen and Munchhausen by proxy stories for years now, but Stephanie Wrobel's Darling Rose Gold is seriously the best one yet. Think of all of the thrillers with this theme in the past for a moment—we never see what happens after the parent is caught harming their child for sympathy. In Darling Rose Gold , we start with Rose Gold's mother, Patty, being released from prison. She's finished her five-year sentence for her involvement in the neglect and ...more
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Who ordered the crazy sauce sundae???

Oh yeah-- ME!

I actually really liked this one, you guys!

GR review to come, or read it early HERE.
Play Book Tag: Darling Rose Gold - Stephanie Wrobel 3.5/5 17 30 Jan 10, 2020 11:39AM

• The Other People
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Holdout
Stephanie Wrobel grew up in Chicago but has been living in the UK for the last three years with her husband and dog, Moose Barkwinkle. She has an MFA from Emerson College and has had short fiction published in Bellevue Literary Review. Before turning to fiction, she worked as a creative copywriter at various advertising agencies.

Darling Rose Gold (US & Canada)/The Recovery of Rose Gold (UK) is
“It was easier to manipulate someone if they didn’t perceive you as a threat.” 2 likes
“The debt between a child and her mother could never be repaid, like running a foot race against someone fifteen miles ahead of you. What hope did you have of catching up? It didn't matter how many Mother's Day cards you drew, how many cliches and vows of devotions you put inside them. You could tell her she was your favorite parent, wink like you were co-conspirators, fill her in on every trivial detail of your life. None of it was enough. It had taken me years to figure this out: you would never love your mother as much as she loved you. She had formed memories of you since you were a poppy seed in her belly. You didn't begin making your own memories until three, four, five years old? She'd had a running start. She had known you before you even existed. How could we compete with that? We couldn't. We accepted that our mothers held their love over us, let them parade it around like a flashy trinket, because their love was superior to ours.” 1 likes