Start by marking “Lacey's House” as Want to Read:
Lacey's House

Lacey's House

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  350 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Winner of the 2012 Luke Bitmead Bursary

"A moving, sensitively written novel by a writer who has a magical way with words." —Maureen Lee

"Authentic and intensely heartfelt . . . There is something in this novel for every woman." —Ruth Dugdall

Lacey Carmichael leads a solitary life. To her neighbors she is the mad old woman who lives at the end of the lane, crazy but harmless.
/>"Authentic/>"A
Published September 1st 2019 by Legend Press (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lacey's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lacey's House

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Lacey's House
sue
I’m quite behind in some of my Netgalley books. When I first joined I was requesting all the time. Now I’m more sensible.

So this one I purchased through audible so that I could listen on the go.

This was mesmerisingly beautiful and sad.

No one knows what the future holds do they. And I’m wondering if I thought this fleetingly through my mind when my kids were little. I can’t recall I did.

This tales a poignant tale and decisions of, if anything happen
sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So this one I purchased through audible so that I could listen on the go.

This was mesmerisingly beautiful and sad.

This tales a poignant tale and decisions of, if anything happen
Margitte
Lacey's House by Joanne Graham

After reading this book I sat for a while, totally speechless and dumbfounded. It took several minutes, a lot of 'several minutes' actually, to come back to my own life and its immediate demands. Believe me, I almost did it kicking and screaming!

For a debut novel, this is surely one of the best I have ever read! There is so much I want to, and can, say, but somehow my thoughts just drifted off in a multicolored hot air balloon over the Winscombe skies. There was
Diane S ☔
This book really tugs on your heartstrings. Rachel and Lacey, are a generation apart, but both have experienced many of life's trials in ways that have had a detrimental effect on their lives. Lacey's background is so personally horrific that it is hard to understand how she has managed to cope. Yet she has found a way, and when Rachel moves next door to her, they become friends.

A novel about the importance of friendships, of having just one person you trust enough to open up to and tell your
Elaine
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as a Daily Deal, started to read it straightaway and just could not put it down. It is an absolutely fantastic read about the bond that forms between Rachel and Lacey when they become next door neighbours. Rachel has moved to the village of Winscombe to make a fresh start and finds her new neighbour Lacey, is known as the mad woman down the lane. As they get to know each other they form a close friendship as we find out about each woman’s life and Lacey’s in particular is extr ...more
Jane
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the moving and thought-provoking story of two women, both alone in the world, whose paths through life cross.

Lacey Carmichael had lived in the same village all her life but she wasn’t the part of the community. Far from it. She was known as the mad woman, the witch, and kept at arm’s length. Her only friend was her next door neighbour, but he died. Lacey was accused of his murder and, though the police were quick to clear her of suspicion, her neighbours weren’t so sure.
Mo
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They say that timing is everything...

I just finished a book that frequently jumped back and forth in time. Unfortunately for me, "Lacey's House" did the same.

The chapters were only 3 - 4 pages long, and they usually alternated between Rachael and Lacey. To add to my woe, Rachel's story was written in 3rd person, past tense. Lacey's story was written in 1st person, present tense. Both bounced back and forth in time. I found it all a bit jarring.

I need to to avoid dual timeline stories for a while.

They say that timing is everything...

I need to to avoid dual timeline stories for a while.

description

(view spoiler)
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e
A lovely, lovely book! So unlike anything I usually read, because it deals with mental health and loneliness, but I really enjoyed it. Sometimes heart-breaking, sometimes poetic, but always fascinating and thought-provoking. A first novel, delicately written, I will look out for other novels by this fine author. A book I would recommend to women.
Claude
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a
Heart-rending -it had me crying at the end- but a wonderfully written and beautiful story.
Lindsay
'I wanted to walk right out of my life and leave it behind.'

Sometimes one way I can see how much I loved a book is by how many sentences or paragraphs I tab with little sticky notes to come back to and think about again once I've finished. There were a lot of places I marked in this book. There were parts of the prose that resonated with me, that moved me, and parts where the use of language particularly appealed to me. In summary, I thought this was a very special book.

R
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lacey Carmichael leads a solitary life. To her neighbours she is the mad old woman who lives at the end of the lane, crazy but harmless.

Until she is arrested on suspicion of murder.

When Rachel Moore arrives in the village, escaping her own demons, the two women form an unlikely bond. Unraveling in each other tales of loss and heartache, they become friends.

Rachel sees beyond the rumours, believing in her innocence, but as the details of Lacey’s life are reveal
Fictionophile
This review was originally published on my blog: Fictionophile

A beautifully written, well crafted, debut “Lacey’s house” is a novel told in two voices. Alternate chapters introduce us to Rachel — a young, single, and solitary artist who has just miscarried — and Lacey, an elderly women with a horrific past who is shunned socially. The chapters delve into their characters allowing the reader to know them gradually, much like peeling the many layers of an onion, one by one…

When Rachel suffers a
Hannah
I absolutely loved this beautiful little book by Joanne Graham. I requested it on a bit of a whim from Legend Press on NetGalley, because I have really enjoyed several other of their titles, and because a story of female friendship in the south of England appealed to me.
I hoped I might enjoy this debut novel, but I had no idea it would be one of my favorite books I've read thus far this year.
Lacey's House tells the story of Rachel, a young woman who has recently miscarried, and who lives
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery. Intrigue. The past. The agony. The anticipation. This book was one of those suspenseful books that comes along just when you need to read a book that catches you by surprise. I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. I thought the beginning was rather slow and through about 20% of the book I was just reading just to see why the book was a winner of an award. Then everything changed for me. This book picked up and what a great read it turned into. I loved Rachel's and Lacey' ...more
Helen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any of my friends.
Recommended to Helen by: Library book club
I loved this book. Written from the point of view of 2 women who come together both needing to find some kind of peace in their lives. The harshness of Lacey's life is slowly drawn out and you begin to realise that parts of her life she has conjured up in order to protect herself from the real truth. Rachel running away from her own trauma of losing a child is drawn to Lacey and the 2 of them strike up a true friendship. The end of the book is a real tear jerker and I found myself in bed weeping ...more
Emma Stockwell
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am so glad I read this..I wasn't sure it would be interesting enough for me but I couldn't put it down & read the whole book in 2 days. The relationship between Rachel & Lacey is the main theme. Both have suffered losses throughout their lives & it is this that seems to draw them together. This book really shows that real life's everyday dramas can be far worse than fiction. Of course the book is fiction; but some of the things that happened to Lacey really did happen only a few de ...more
Ambrosia Sullivan
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for Fire & Ice

Another strong and emotional read that will pull you through the gamete of emotions. This one was a little hard for me to read because of the strong subject matter, in the sense that it took me a little longer then some books. This was not a fast read but it was a very good read. I would recommend this to someone who is looking for a well written novel that has depth to it. This is a story that is going to stick with you for a long time after you have read it.
Sandy Hall
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an early read from NetGalley. This was one of those genre-less books that I love to stumble across. :-) It's not chick-lit, but it would certainly appeal to chicks (it did to this one) and while it's not romance, it certainly holds a certain romance within it. I enjoyed the window into the two main character's lives and the mental images the author was able to create throughout the book. It has some rather stark and brutal themes woven in, but so does real life.
Sue
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well 4.5.
This book was different. The main male figure was deceased. Lacey is an elderly spinster living alone with her memories when Rachel arrives renting the cottage next door. They become unlikely friends and their past unravels, sometimes to the reader, sometimes to each other. Although I guessed some of the main twists it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book. Would quite like a sequel!
Karen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book , when I first started in I thought that it might be a bit depressing but once I got into it, it was far from that
It is rich story about loss, ill treatment but most importantly friendship
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually put this down after the first couple of pâtés and went on to something else. Luckily I tried again and got drawn into the story and the characters. A brilliant first novel. It made me cry!
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I never thought I'd give a book five*, but I feel this book really deserves it as it was a page turner. It is a cleverly written book with plenty of twists and turns along the way (which is what I like).

I also found it heartwarming as it was heartbreaking.

I highly recommend this book.
Samantha
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant, BRILLIANT & definitely a winner in all respects! Will read again & again with love. Thank you Joanne!
Amanda Whitman
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. lovely well written, characters develop as their individual stories unfold. excellent debut novel.
Fiona Howie
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-ma-kindle
What a fab book, brill story with sadness and happiness, look forward to reading her next novel, fab first book
Bonnie Jones
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An emotional, heart-wrenching story about two women who become friends, an older woman and a younger woman, both of whom have sad pasts. A beautifully written story with likeable characters
Lauran Vetuschi
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Although this book took a bit for me to get into, it completely surprised me!! So many twists and turns and just a beautifully written story.
Julie Brown
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual read and surprisingly good. A few stones are left unturned right up to the tear jerking end. Excellent
Doreen
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rachel is a young woman with a difficult past; Lacey, a simple woman viewed by most people as a mad old woman, had an even more difficult past. The two become neighbours and develop a friendship as they share their tales of loss. Lacey’s story, however, raises questions when Rachel discovers facts that totally contradict Lacey’s version of events from her past.

The novel is structured around chapters that alternate between the two protagonists. Rachel’s chapters are written in first p
Liz Barnsley
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again thank you to Legend Press for the copy of this book to review.

Lacey is the village enigma. Considered to be a mad old lady, ignored by the locals and teased by the children she lives a solitary life. When Rachel moves in next door an unlikely bond forms between the pair…could it be that they have more in common than they realise?

What a pair of amazing female characters Joanne Graham has created here…both with great sadness in their past and worries about thei

• Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others
  • Dirty Rocker Boys
  • The Death of Prince Rogers Nelson: An Investigation
  • The Narrows
  • Dette livet eller det neste
  • The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies That Put the White House on Trial and Betrayed My Wife's CIA Identity
  • The Story Keeper
  • One Minute Later
  • The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • Date Night
  • Reagandoodle and Little Buddy Find a Forever Family: Things That Are True Because Someone Chose You
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Magpie
  • Finding Stevie
  • Christmas in Peppercorn Street (Peppercorn Street, #5)
  • He's Gone
  • Dear Thing
Joanne Graham lives in rural Mid Devon, UK, with her two children. Being the youngest of five children, her love of the written word began when she would escape the busyness of her childhood home by diving into a good book. She has been writing since the tender age of eleven when her mother bought her a typewriter for her birthday.

Her first book, Lacey's House was published in 2013 and her second