Start by marking “Steel Strings” as Want to Read:
Steel Strings

Steel Strings

Brianna Jones is a smart, biracial teen who dreams of bringing music to the world via orchestral instruments fashioned out of recycled materials. But Brianna must keep her project secret from her half sister, whose mission in life is to destroy everything Brianna holds dear.

Marek Lakewood is one of the few guys who sees Brianna for whom she really is and has admired her
Published December 30th 2019 by Shaking the Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Steel Strings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Strings

Start your review of Steel Strings
Ejayen
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why do I like this book? It is one of my least favorite Genres. Contemporary YA Romance. I hate that combination.
Brianna has a history, so she doesn't seem flat. Marek is half in another story.
I won't say anything about the romance because I am not close to an expert, but it seemed somewhat believable and nice.
And there was no swearing.
I don't understand it, but I liked a book that I shouldn't have liked for any reason
This is an ARC BTW
S I
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, interesting characters, both has issues to deal with. Emotional. A book I think you’ll like!
I received this arc for a honest review.
Andrea
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely blown away by this novel. It grabs you right out of the gate with a horrific accident. I actually remember almost being in a similar type of situation when I was kid playing around in a car, only this goes a lot deeper than mine ever did.

Brianna is an amazing young woman. She is super smart and super talented and has this amazing goal of creating instruments out of recycled materials to help bring music to the masses. I would be honored to be her friend.

She also has a ton of
Tonja Drecker
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Romance receives a shot of tension with a dash of thriller to form an exciting read with more than a couple twists and turns.

Brianna has quite a few things going for her. She's pretty, one of the smartest kids in her class and has a talent for music and instruments. But few know the secrets she harbors, ones that she avoids fairly well until her sister returns for a visit from college. Even her so-called boyfriend doesn't know the true her, but he's being held at bay anyway thanks to their
Lucy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Steel Strings follows the characters Brianna and Marek, two high school students who are both intellectual, good at physics, and play in orchestra class together. The story is mostly about Brianna; even though it is told in alternating viewpoints, it is really Brianna’s story, although we also get to see Marek’s family, his friendship with Idris, and his thoughts of his late father and how his death affected Marek.

This book has everything. It touches on so many different topics and does all of
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to YA Bound Book Tours and Shaking the Tree Press for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I have to get this out there because it was one of the first things I thought when I was reading this novel: Brianna’s sister was mean as heck?! Like… she just left her sister in the car when she
Emma Katherine
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: Regarding writing style, characters, themes, and plot, I feel like Steel Strings is not an improvement to the following series installments.
Writing Style: I found the writing style to be inexperienced, repetitive, and banal. Hayes has a knack for writing dozens of single-clause sentences in a row, thus losing my engagement and creating a desire to skim the entire book. I also found myself with lots of case-specific
Sharon
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my third novel by Alex Hayes and it is a companion novel to the Chameleon Effect Series. Book 1 and 2 have a paranormal romance feel to then compared to Steel Strings which is more of a young adult romance and can be read as a standalone.

When a beautiful young musical genius decides to make some changes in her life like a new boyfriend and to stand up to her psycho sister, all hell breaks loose.

A smile lifts one side of my mouth because I need a physics partner for next semester. And
Lynda Sliger
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was nice seeing a fleshed out tale of some of the supporting characters from the Silken Scales I have read both books so I knew what was going on behind the scenes, but I feel that even if you haven't read Silken Scales, you will still enjoy this book.

Brianna Jones is an interesting person, even though the women in her family seem to hate her. She is trying to get through life without garnering any further notice of either her half sister, or her mother. She pulls
Meaghan Hurn
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Steel Strings follows the characters Brianna and Marek, two high school students who are both intellectual, good at physics, and play in orchestra class together. It's was so refreshing to have more diverse characters who have intellect and pure talents.

The two main plots are Brianna’s and Marek’s feelings for each other, both afraid to admit to each other, and Brianna’s project of creating templates of orchestral instruments using cheap and available materials so that these instruments can be
Billie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Compelled to silence, Brianna is like a cello without strings and must fight to reclaim her voice through the instruments she creates.
Brianna Jones is a nerdy biracial teen who dreams of bringing music to the world via orchestral instruments fashioned out of recycled materials. But she must keep her project secret from her half sister, whose mission in life is to destroy everything Brianna holds dear.
Aizlynne
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. There have been two books in the series now that have delved into the human side characters and best friends of the main characters. I love that Ms. Hayes is able to write about teens in hard situations. I feel like the way she is presenting family trauma and abuse is not glorifying it and will give others in similar situations the idea if not the strength to overcome them in healthy ways. I absolutely loved Brianna. I am really partial to her because, I ...more
Liana Key
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the writing in this book, a YA contemporary romance. Brianna was a wonderful character, but plagued by issues caused by an older sister who seems to want to disrupt her life. This story is rich in relationships, as Brianna tries to understand her feelings for her current boyfriend, Jac and Marek, her physics partner. The ending stunned and saddened me, and though this is part of a series, I read it as a complete standalone.
Paul Cobbs
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book expands the /Chameleon Effect/ universe in a very enjoyable way. It introduces some wonderful new characters and expands the role of some existing characters. I loved the opportunities it opens up with directions the series can go moving forward.
Elvira
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great storyline with characters that are well developed and engaging and take us on a twist and turn of suspense and adventure. I loved Brianna and Marek each has there own baggage but manage to come together to take care of business.

I received this ARC for an honest and voluntary review.
Beatrice Manuel
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable and fast-paced book, perfect for those looking for a one-sitting read for those looking for that literary getaway. Alex Hayes does a wonderful job of bringing life to Brianna Jones and Marek Lakewood, the two protagonists, by employing switching first person point-of-view chapters.

Having not read Hayes' Chameleon Effects series, I was hoping I would be able to follow along and form the same connect with the characters one would expect from a stand-alone novel. There were
Barbara
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing coming-of-age with a side of extreme sibling rivalry, this week (including until midnight) of bedside and occasional reading for me might be read on a long weekend. I had an ARC and this voluntary review was my own opinion.
Rachel
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a hard one to read with the abuse that the main character has to go through. It pulls at your heart strings but the ending is worth it.
Teri Ruscak
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Steel Strings by Alex Hayes is an awesome, multi-layered book that engrossed me from cover to cover!
Thank you for gifting me with this arc...the review is entirely of my own thoughts.
Dawn Milligan
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Alex's style! This story is well written and the characters are great I enjoyed this look into this world from another view I read silken as well and loved it!
Rose Brown
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this tale!
“Steel Strings” is an amazing fast-paced well-written tale of heartbreak and fear. The main characters are two teens, Brianna and Marek, who are attracted to each other but fear of rejection keep them from speaking of it. Brianna feels invisible in her own life and Marek does not feel worthy of Briana. The storyline is emotional and dramatic. This is a tale worth reading. I felt so invested in Briana and Marek’s life that I hated getting to the last page. I highly recommend
Donna
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A well written combination love story where one of the characters overcomes certain obstacles in life with a happy ending. I am thankful for having had the opportunity of reading this book to review. Will definitely read other book I have in the Chameleon Effect series. Worth a read. Available on Amazon
Patti P
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting YA book that even adults will enjoy. The storyline portrays high schooler Brianna and he tumultuous relationship with her mother and her older sister who hates her. Brianna is strong and determined and an overall loveable character that you will root for until the ending. I received this book at no cost in exchange for my honest review.
Nilda
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicely written story with great characters and wonderful storyline. It is a short story with characters from the Silken Scales and new characters. Two teens, Marcel and Brianna who areafraid to approacheach other, until a physic project brings them together. An emotional story that will grab your heart. So, make sure you have some tissues when you read this amazing story.
I received this ARC for an honest and voluntary review and I loved it!
Rebecca Brown
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book that is very emotional. Loved reading it.
Mayara Alencar
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC copy for an honest review
I loved this book. The visual and sounds descriptions made me feel like I was there, seeing and hearing everything.
I admire Brianna's courage and resistance. She tried and, when she couldn't anymore, she went above.
A beautiful book full of romance but also about courageous people. Totally worth.
Anne-Marie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Brianna’s story is heartbreaking. Nothing seems to be going right for her. She has a boyfriend who is very popular, but she has no real interest in him. It’s a pretend relationship that he asked her to participate in. Her mother doesn’t take any pride in her accomplishments and only criticizes her. Her sister is a witch (spelt with a b), but her mother won’t believe a word Brianna says about her. To be just 18 and to feel so unloved is hard to take. She starts developing ...more
Grady
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stringing along for a fine ride!

Author Alex Hayes earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Creative Writing from San Francisco State University, transplanted to Boston, Massachusetts to work as an IT professional in database engineering, and now enjoys her success as a writer. She has published six books to date – Ice Cracks, The Golden Thread, her series The Chameleon Effect - Silken Scales, Perfect Pitch, Siren Song - and now offers STEEL STRINGS, a companion novel to that series. Alex
Keaundra Redman
Dec 24, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Book listing under wrong author and two versions 3 14 Dec 30, 2019 08:35PM

• Reaper's Blood (The Grimm Brotherhood, #1)
  • Stray (Cats of Felidae Academy, #1)
  • Enthralled Wolf (Wolf Shifters of Ember Abyss, #2)
  • Hope In A Time Of War
  • Claimed by the Demon Hunter 2 (Guardians of Humanity #2)
  • Vicious: An Irish Mafia Romance (Wild Irish Book 1)
  • A Christmas Witch
  • Brotherhood of the Sea (Secrets of Galathea, #1)
  • Burning Muses: A Novel (Muse & Music, #1)
  • Feral Claws (The Midnight Panther Chronicles, #1)
  • Nine Years
  • Departing
  • Yesterday
  • Inflicted (Valkyrie Academy Dragon Alliance, #4)
  • Prophecy
  • Winter's Edge (Crimson Winter Reverse Harem #1)
  • His Human Captive (Captives of the Dominars #1)
  • Angel
Alex Hayes wrote her first fiction story when she was twelve. Inspired by her mother’s storytelling, she began work on her first novel, Ice Cracks, at eighteen.

She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Creative Writing from San Francisco State University. In her twenties, she moved from Marin County, California to Boston, Massachusetts, where she built a career as an IT professional in