Start by marking “The Art of Regret: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Art of Regret: A Novel

The Art of Regret: A Novel

Trevor McFarquhar lives a controlled, contrary existence. Traumatized by early childhood loss, the silence surrounding those losses, and then a sudden family relocation from the United States to France, he has no ambitions or dreams for his struggling Parisian bicycle shop or even for himself. Now in his late thirties, his romantic relationships are only casual—his ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Regret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Regret

Start your review of The Art of Regret: A Novel
Angela M
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.
Trevor McFarquhar runs a bicycle shop on a street in Paris he describes as “ ...the Sacre Coeur at the heart of Montmartre, is not the tourist circuit and has no pretensions to Parisian grandeur. Behind and above it’s modest shop fronts are forgettable lives. Lives like my own, which I had reduced to a box, a one-room shop.” For a while as I read about his indifferent and unremarkable life, though I felt for him in a way, I thought that he would be an unforgettable
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trevor is struggling. He has suffered losses and a big family transition and move from the US to France. He owns a bicycle shop in Paris, and he’s not really into that either. Trevor is simply existing.

The transit strike causes Trevor’s business to boom- everyone needs a bike now. Trevor surprises even himself with how much this increased business brightens his outlook.

Then, Trevor begins a relationship that may separate him from his family. Just as the transit strike runs its course, so does
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was my first book by Fleming. It was slow to start. But I stayed with it and was pleasantly surprised at the second half of the book. I liked the ending. You are sure to find this new author one you want to add to your list of must reads.
I will say this, I am looking forward to Fleming's next book.
4 star book, new to me author, pick up a copy of The Art Of Regret.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are
Nursebookie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary Fleming writes a beautiful Literary Fiction about Trevor McFarquhar, a handsome yet apathetic thirty something bicycle shop owner in Paris. Trevor was an interesting character to read, and though his life as he sees it, is as exciting as the color beige, a series of events provides an impetus for change in his monotonous existence.

As a child, Trevor moved from NY to Paris with his mother and brother to begin a new life after some tragic life events. Trevor lived his life as a person just
Shalini
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different book, for sure.

Trevor ran a bicycle shop on a street in Paris. Born in New York, traumatized by early childhood loss, they moved to Paris. No ambitions or desires fired his passion, with few friendships and fewer relationships, his life was almost colorless. Till the transit strike occurred, and people now wanted his bikes to travel. Then a risqué relationship imbalanced his family equations. What would Trevor do now?

My first book by author Mary Fleming saw me quite immersed in the
Davida Chazan
I don’t often read contemporary fiction, but when I do, I need the book to give me something I can think about. In Mary Fleming’s new book, she certainly does give us just that (and please don’t judge this book by its cover). See what I thought of it in my latest #bookreview on my blog now. https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2019/10/2...
Lolly K Dandeneau
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'This meant that all the thoughts, all the feelings, all the half-remembered things stayed trapped in my brain. Like birds in an overcrowded cage, they flapped wing against wing with nowhere to go.'

Trevor is an American, the United States his true home and this is the one permanent, solid fact of his childhood. Possibly the only fact he remembers correctly. It is in America that his family structure crumbles after incredible loss and from that
Lauren Archer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is literary fiction at its core. This is all about relationships and overcoming the shame one feels. This is some of the most lush writing I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

For my full review, visit my blog at: http://obsessedbookaholic.com/2019/09...

Thank you She Writes Press for an Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
angelareadsbooks
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you @suzyapprovedbooktours and She Writes Press for sending me a copy of The Art of Regret by Mary Fleming

The Art of Regret is a thought provoking story of Trevor McFarquhar as he wrestles with grief and loss. Trevor is stuck inside himself burdened by his own past and unable to truly connect. It was interesting to see how he struggled and how he was able to move forward on a path of self-discovery. Check this one out if you enjoy literary fiction and something a little different.
Linda Zagon
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mary Fleming, Author of "The Art of Regret" has written an emotional and thought-provoking novel. The timeline for this novel is in the author's present and also goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events. The Genre for this novel is Fiction. The author describes her characters as complex, and complicated. The story takes place in France, but America is mentioned.

Trevor McFarquhar has had early trauma in his life. He lived in America and after his father's death, Trevor moves
Reads a Latte Thrillers
This book was a unique look into the life of Trevor, an American transplant living a mediocre life in Paris. Trevor runs a bike shop and when the 1995 Transportation Strike leaves passengers stranded, Trevor finds a renewed interest in his otherwise failing bicycle shop. This book also serves as a coming of age story for Trevor and deals with family dynamics, death and romance. After making a poor decision that leaves him estranged from his family for over 5 years, Trevor also rebuilds his life ...more
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley, Mary Fleming, and She Writes Press. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest opinion of this work. I can happily recommend Mary Fleming to friends and family. She is an author who understands family. And the art of regret.

By the time Trevor Macfarquahar was eight years old he had lost his sister, his father, and had moved with the remaining
Sue
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paris-books
This is a slow moving novel about life in everyday Paris. We get glimpses of the beautiful city when the main character walks or takes the Metro to other locations but instead of seeing the tourist side of Paris, we get a look at the way the residents live their lives.

Trevor is a 30-something year old man who works in his bicycle shop and lives in a tiny apartment above the shop He moved from the US to Paris with his mother and brother after a family tragedy. He still has issues around his life
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Mary Fleming has made a new fan in me. I don’t often read lots of literary fiction, but the premise of this story seemed to call to me. So, I decided to jump on it and read it. I’m so glad that I did! I got to follow Trevor’s journey and feel it as if it was my own.

Trevor’s character. Wow. What can I say about him? He was fantastic! I loved him. As someone who lives with regrets daily, I could feel every bit of Trevor’s inner turmoil. His past is tragic and his here and now is lived day to day
Kim
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Death seems to define this story. The lack of definition of the deaths and the surrounding wall of silence becomes the narrator’s all-consuming malaise. There isn’t a big story, just a well told, extremely descriptive blow by blow of a “predictable, independent life” that brings no inner peace. Relationships come, go, bloom, fall apart, much like anyone’s life. Mistakes are made, secrets are kept, that wall of silence is built hoping to protect yet ultimately having the converse effect. A ...more
abdulia ortiz-perez
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received this free book from the publisher for honest review.

4 stars

This is the first time reading from this author.

This was a interesting read. I enjoyed the read.

What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel did just that to me.
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for next book.
Jacqueline
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, paris
This book had intrigue from the start. I love a complex character who has issues; someone who doesn’t conform or fit in and Trevor McFarquhar is complex. An American who was raised in Paris from a young age, following the traumatic loss of his sister and father, he has a difficult relationship with his step-father, is disdainful of his mother and brother and intrigued by his sister-in-law. Feeling neither French nor American, Trevor exists in his own world, a world consisting of his minimalist ...more
Megsbookclub
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes that is snow! Yes I live in Nashville! Crazy! So today I’m whisking us away to Paris. The Art of Regret is a coming of age story about a young man, Trevor, that moves from the US to Paris. After a tragedy strikes his mother relocates them to Paris and Trevor is still there as a grown man, running a bicycle shop. This is not a fast-paced story but delves in to the everyday of existing but not really experiencing life. .

When there is a transit strike (because there are always strikes in
Nicole reading_with_nicole
When Trevor McFarquhar was a child he moved to Paris with his mother and brother after tragic life events. Now Trevor is an adult still living in Paris, he own a bicycle shop but he makes no attempt to cultivate his business; his life is very stagnant and it is just passing him by.
Trevor does not just treat his livelihood this way but his personal life, his love life also is nothing to speak of because he keeps them all very casual, he wants no commitment it seems like to anything. Throughout
Lisa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
"But she was trouble I wasn't able to resist. The damn dog had worked her way into my heart with a skill of an Olympic fencer."
This is a contemporary fiction that will pull you directly onto the streets of Paris and make you feel like you are part of the Parisian culture. It was a slow and meloncoly start for me and the main character, Trevor, was a bit lack-luster at first, but in the second half of the book the story, and Trevor, woke up and I really enjoyed it... especially the ending!
Candy Smith
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know exactly what to expect from this book but it was an interesting and enlightened read. I have to say, at first I didn't much like Trevor, however I think that was the point because he didn't care much about what others thought of him he was emotionally shut off due to childhood trauma that he didn't quite understand. But as death of loved ones changed him as a small child into the withdrawn man he is now,death of loved brings him full circle to finding himself again.
Stephani Beltran

• Plastic
  • Street of Storytellers
  • All About Evie
  • Arroyo: A Novel
  • Coming Home (Chandler Hill Inn #2)
  • Bedside Manners
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • The Buddha Sat Right Here: A Family Odyssey Through India and Nepal