Start by marking “In The Clearing” as Want to Read:
In The Clearing

In The Clearing

A stunning new psychological thriller from the bestselling author of Call Me Evie.

Amy has only ever known what life is like in the Clearing. She knows what's expected of her. She knows what to do to please her elders, and how to make sure life in the community remains happy and calm. That is, until a new young girl joins the group. She isn't fitting in; she doesn't want to
Published December 31st 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about In The Clearing, please sign up.
J.P. Pomare Hi KC,

Hi KC,

this one won't be available in the US until the second half of 2020. I'll make sure the publication date is updated when the US edition is added to Goodreads and it may be available on Netgalley earlier.
(less)

Start your review of In The Clearing
Mandy White
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you love Call me Evie? Yes... then you are going to LOVE In the Clearing! In my opinion In the Clearing is better than Call Me Evie! It is that good!

This was a book that I was desperate to get my hands on, so a huge thank you to Hachette Books Australia for sending an advanced copy my way. I could not wait to get started on it and then I was completely hooked, and needed to see how it was going to end. I was gobsmacked when it was revealed. Absolutely brilliant. When I finished this book I
NZLisaM
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery, 2019, suspense
4.5 “I'm still shaking with disbelief" stars!

Teenager Amy lives an insular existence in the Clearing, raised by the Elders through strict routine, brainwashing, deprivation, punishment, and fear to believe that everyone outside of it is a threat.

Having lost her first son, Freya is overly-cautious when it comes to protecting her second. Her isolated property is a safe house – fence, alarm, dog, shutters, panic button, even a fire bunker – Freya is prepared for anything. Or is she?

Freya and Amy's
Joanna
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You may think that ‘Call Me Evie’ would be hard to outdo but J.P. Pomare has risen to the challenge with his new book. It only took me 90 minutes to get through - a true page turner! It was completely enthralling, creepy and had many twists that I genuinely didn’t see coming!
Michael
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
New Zealand born, Melbourne based author J.P. Pomare has been on a roll lately after his debut Call Me Evie won the Nagio Marsh award for best first novel. He has now followed up with a story about a deep underbelly of society and those who are apart of it and what happens to those who escape. Based loosely on the family who was a well known Australian cult who acquired children and imprisoned and brainwashed them The Clearing never fails to impress.

The narrative begins with a young NSW girl who
bookswithpaulette
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
The second book from J.P Pomare. If you liked his first book this one is a massive step up very polished and grabbed my attention very quickly.

This book is centred around Freya, she’s a little paranoid about security and overprotective of her son. Living a secluded life on the outskirts of town she has a guard dog, fenced in the property, kitted out bunker… you get the picture. As we get to know Freya and her story…..she has very good reason to be on edge. Especially when someone is watching
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

‘I knew I would always be burdened with the past.’

It has been quite the year for J.P. Pomare, the author of Call Me Evie and In the Clearing. Pomare won the Nagio Marsh award for best first novel. This is a brilliant accolade for the New Zealand born author, who now resides in Melbourne. In the Clearing is an extremely polished thriller that will keep you guessing from the moment you open this addictive novel to the very last word.

The construction
Julie Garner
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller, arc
I received an ARC of this book.
I thought that Call Me Evie was a standout for a debut author. In The Clearing steps it up further and sucks you right in, straight away. I don't know how he has done it, but J.P. Pomare's second book is outstanding.
From the very first page you get a sense of what the book is about...The Family. It feels like a fictionalised book about this Victorian cult. It takes you prisoner, along with the kids, and keeps a hold of you, tight. Adrienne wants her family of 12
Book Bandit
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of Call Me Evie and after reading the synopsis of this was worried I wouldn't like it but OH MY GOD the twists, the pace, the story! I loved it.

I've read a few books lately that are too hard to review without giving anything away so I'll tread lightly. Freya lives in the bush with her needy son. She is super conscious about security and privacy because she has a pyscho ex and lost her first son years ago. Amy on the other hand is a youngish girl who has a weird
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this. First half is tense, second half is twisty. I like it a lot more than his first novel.
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eerie, chilling and suspenseful. This one kept me turning the pages until I found out how it would end.

Amy has only ever know what life is like in the Clearing. As we come to know, the Clearing, is a community of people living together, who must obey their elders. Freya is living a very security conscious life with her son, bordering on paranoia. Then a young person goes missing from nearby and someone from Freya’s past shows up that changes her world.

Pomare weaves the stories of Amy and Freya
Theresa Smith
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read an awful lot of thrillers as I tend to quickly begin to suffer from ‘thriller fatigue’. As a consequence, I’m fairly selective on which thrillers I read and the timing of them. All of the stars seem to have aligned with this one though. In the Clearing turned out to be a book I couldn’t put down.

‘You never escape a cult.’

Often after having read a thriller, the most common thing you’ll hear is: ‘That twist!’ I can’t say that with this one though, because In the Clearing has as many
Cass Moriarty
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
J.P. Pomare’s debut crime thriller Call Me Evie was good, but his next book In the Clearing (Hachette 2020) is even better, on a whole other level. This is a truly page-turning and unputdownable story that will keep you on edge as the plot thickens, the tensions increase and the stakes become higher for all of the main characters. About half-way through, there is a clever and unexpected twist that recalibrated my thinking about all I had read so far, and had me turning back to the beginning to ...more
Jaclyn Crupi
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Day 5, book 5. I love the start of the year where I can reliably read a book a day. It won’t last much longer. J.P. is a master of tension and I’ve been pretty stressed out as I read this. It’s edge of your seat, nail-biting suspense. Come for the culty darkness, stay for the chilling conclusion.
Rachel Hills
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely blown away by this book. Could not put it down! What an emotional roller coaster that was! 100 percent recommended to fans of thriller fiction.
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
Crisp, atmospheric, taut, and terrifying. Wonderfully written.

Excellent thriller vibe but DNF at 100 pages for me bc of child sexual abuse. Skipped ahead to the end to see how things work out and I couldn’t see that end coming, so if you can handle tough content like that (I can’t), the twist is a ripper.
Katie King
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rural Australia is about to get a lot darker. J.P. Pomare's 'In The Clearing' holds readers captive in a world of cultish indoctrination and past traumas. When a young girl goes missing, residents Amy and Freya realise their community may not be quite whatit seems. Call Me Evie fans are getting the breath of fresh air they've been pining for. ...more
Emzee Codling
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say...this book is amazing!
J P Pomare weaves an intricate story that will keep you on the edge and questioning everything, right to the end. This book is incredible and makes me want to go back and read his other work.
Eleanor Whitwell
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well that was one hell of a ride. :o
Paige Tracy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! I was so invested in the lives of Amy and Freya and the setting was so realistic that I felt like I was there with them. Another scarily believable thriller.
Louise
This book now has a prominent place on my 'holiday reading' shelf. I thought it was quite an uninspiring psychological thriller considering the good reviews it received on GR and in other places. The novel was mildly intriguing with a twist in the plot which I was late to, even so I was able to pick the 'baddie' with no trouble at all.
Christine Mooney
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting anxiously for J.P. Pomare's new thriller 'The Clearing'. I devoured ' Call Me Evie' in a weekend and did the same with this novel. It did not disappoint.
Kimmy C
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Christian ‘The Wife And The Widow’ White has endorsed ‘After reading page one, you won’t be able to stop’, it’s certainly an inducement for me to buy this book. And it certainly puts a very Australian slant to the insiders and outsiders of cults, evoking memories of The Family who were notorious decades ago, but adding in the heart pounding child abduction and double crossing, and moving across events in the main character’s life. I certainly enjoyed reading this - not to the extent that ‘I ...more
Deborah
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
JP Pomare’s Call Me Evie, released in 2018, was set in New Zealand (and Australia) and centred around a young woman with quite a complex ‘before’ and ‘after’ story to share. It didn’t flow quite as seamlessly as I would have liked, but I certainly didn’t find it predictable.

Pomare’s followed his popular debut with another kinda creepy and suspenseful tale that’s more polished and the ‘unknown’ more deftly handled than his debut. There is however a similar theme around identity; and its fragility
Rosie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5*!

I enjoyed this one a lot more than Call Me Evie. Atmospheric and creepy and intriguing. I find the whole cult idea super interesting, and Pomare did a great job with it.
Kt
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forget Alfred Hitchcock, J.P. Pomare is the new master of suspense and plot twists!

Amy has only ever known life in the Clearing. She’s doesn’t know it’s a cult, but sees it as her family. A place where she knows what’s expected of her; where her and the other children behave and obey or else; and where the Queen (Adrienne) is protected at all costs. Freya is a single mum to seven year old Billy. She lives in a small town, but someone is watching her, invading her personal space and causing her
Katie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wowie!! What an incredible read!!

I loved JP Pomare first novel, Call me Evie, and to be honest i was worried this one wouldn't be as good. I felt like i put too many expectations on it. I honestly hate when i do that!!
Anyway, The Clearing is a thrilling ride, that's for sure!! I have heard about all kinds of cults through out the years and JP in depth research didn't disappoint!!

**Please note though- there are TRIGGER warnings in this story of child abuse, neglect and kidnapping. **

There are
Shayla Stark
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
For me personally this was a very slow read, it didn’t grab me until the very last few pages.
It felt like the author was trying too hard to put together past and present and ran out of time to do so making the ending feel very rushed.
I can’t help but feel very disappointed with the ending of the story considering the massively slow build up for it.
A whole lot of nothing really important is what springs to mind.
Jay Dwight
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
With Call Me Evie, JP Pomare announced himself as a writer to watch, and In The Clearing is an even better read (in my opinion )

Dark and chilling, we follow twin narratives of Any and Freya. Amy is a teenage girl and her story is life in a cult. Freya’s story is a slow reveal but it is clear her life bears scars from earlier years.

Lots of surprises in the ending of this excellent read.
Jackie Robinson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t like books where people are victims of framing or gaslighting. I understand why it was important to the storyline but it was probably a bit too much for me.
However I truly enjoyed this and was literally on the edge of my seat for the day it took me to read. This will definitely be a big seller!
Ann Hamer
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book so much I read it in a day. I think it is better than Call Me Evie. I enjoyed the twists and turns and the narrative voice. Couldn’t wait to see who did what. The cult aspect was also fascinating. Liked the oppressive weather that adds to the atmosphere and that omnipresent sense of Bush fires which is so real.

• The Strangers We Know
  • The Dilemma
  • There Was Still Love
  • American Dirt
  • The Weekend
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Maggie's Going Nowhere
  • Seven Lies
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
J. P. Pomare was raised on a horse farm in rural New Zealand where he lived until he was eighteen before deciding to travel. After years abroad, including a twelve months living in North America, he settled in Melbourne, Australia and has lived there since.

His debut novel Call Me Evie was released to critical acclaim and won the 2019 Ngaio Marsh Award for best first novel. In The Clearing is his