Start by marking “All Adults Here” as Want to Read:

All Adults Here

When Astrid Strick witnesses a school bus accident in the center of town, it jostles loose a repressed memory from her young parenting days decades earlier. Suddenly, Astrid realizes she was not quite the parent she thought she’d been to her three, now-grown children. But to what consequence?

Astrid’s youngest son is drifting and unfocused, making parenting mistakes of his
Hardcover, First, 368 pages
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Riverhead Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 05, 2020
    "A totally engaging and smart book about the absolutely marvelous messiness of what makes up family; a wonderful book." - Elizabeth Strout

When Astrid

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 75 copies available, 4026 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Mar 01, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about All Adults Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Adults Here

Start your review of All Adults Here
    Janet
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Emma Straub does it again! She is adept at introducing us to a flawed yet lovable cast of characters as they learn to navigate aging and family dynamics. 4.5 stars.
    Ang
    Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was entertaining, though there was definitely zero plot. (I mean, maybe a minuscule plot. Hard to find. Need a magnifying glass.) I think it's a big of a set-piece. A truly enjoyable one, though! I will have NO trouble at all handing this to patrons looking for beach reading in 2020, I'll tell you what.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the digital ARC.
    Lorri Steinbacher
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    It's fun to read about families that are just dysfunctional enough, the type of dysfunction that comes from people just trying to do and be their best and the missed connections and lack of understanding that leads to dysfunction-lite. It's wonderful, aspirational even, to read a book in which a trans teen can come out to people with little fanfare and nearly universal acceptance. You might think it's unrealistic, but hey, what does it hurt to write the world the way it should be?

Recommended for
    Hitha
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    If you're having Gilmore Girls withdrawals but wish the show were more progressive, then you'll love Emma Straub's latest. The Strick family is all around unlikable at first read, but each character becomes more and more endearing as the book progresses. It's slower paced than Straub's previous books, but I appreciated it after the chaotically fun final chapters. It's a fun, poignant read that will stick with you long after you've finished it.
    Dkbbookgirl
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Really good book
    Complicated family
    Lots of individuals searching for their place in the world- and within family
    Mary
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Five stars are inadequate. I loved this novel a lot. Thanks, Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance, for the chance to receive a copy of this ARC at the SIBA#19 Trade Show in September, 2019. I’d add more but I respect the guidelines not to quote from or give away details about an ARC. I’ll say this: get a copy on May 5, 2020, the publication date of ALL ADULTS HERE.
    Karen
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I didn't want this novel full of humor and heart to end. Emma Straub once again delivers a delightful, immersive read with lessons to be learned for all.
    Natalie
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    At first glance this looks like a novel about a family in crisis, but as I read and peeled back the layers, it was apparent that Straub used the Strick family as a vehicle to explore 21st century life, sexuality and changing mores.

The author cleverly inserts family members in turmoil as they confront unmarried pregnancy via a sperm bank, bullying, internet dangers, gender dysphoria and lesbian love. Yet, none of this seems forced or outrageous. Straub manages to have the family going through
    Laura Hill
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Riverhead Books and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on May 5th, 2020.

Plot: 3/5 Characters: 4/5 Writing: 4/5
    Engaging novel about the complex family dynamics of three generations of Stricks: Astrid (a 68-year old widow and newly woke bi-sexual), her three adult children, and her teenage granddaughter Cecelia — all in various stages of “growing up.” Evolving relationships between couples, parents and
    Cat Chapman
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    2019 has been the year of the family drama, so when my bookstore manager first approached me with an ARC, I was already fatigued--but All Adults Here was a surprisingly refreshing, all the while familiar, take on the circumstance.

The cast is probably my favourite part of the book. Most of all, I appreciated the quirkiness of the characters (I love Porter so much, I kind of want to be Astrid when I'm older), and although they're a somewhat exceptional family in this quirkiness, there are
    Liz
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Visit my book blog https://cavebookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Strick Family mostly lives close to where they grew up in the Hudson Valley: Mama Strick, Astrid, her daughter, Porter, and Elliot. Nicky moved to New York and, after a few successful roles in films and television, mostly hangs out and smokes weed with his buddies. Clapham, the town they live in, is small, and everyone knows everything, even things that folks are positive they have kept private about themselves.

The fun of this new novel
    Jilly
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    All Adults Here focuses on the Strick family; the matriarch Astrid who is perceived by her adult children as being cold and aloft; Porter (the only daughter) Elliot (the oldest son) and Nicky (the youngest son and only one to move away from his family and whose daughter Cecelia comes to live with Astrid after an altercation at at her previous school). After Astrid witnesses a neighbor get hit and killed by a bus, it causes her to question not only her relationship with her children but also the ...more
    Kathy
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the Kindle ARC of All Adults Here. I have read all of Emma Straub's books and All Adults Here is my favorite so far. The Strick Family - mom Astrid, her three adult children, Elliott, Porter and Nicky - make for some great, fun reading. I really cared about this family and enjoyed their way of working things out or not. When Astrid's granddaughter, Cecilia, is sent to Astrid's home to live for a year, due to some problems in school, the story takes ...more
    Nate
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I have loved everything I have read by Emma Straub with every fiber of my being. So I expected to love All Adults Here just as much. I loved All Adults here with every fiber of my being and discover more fibers I didn’t even know existed. This book just spoke to me, it made me laugh and laugh and laugh and it tugged at my heart. This story is so now, it is so beautiful and it will make you feel. The narrative of a family and the secrets we keep and the mistakes we made in a small town have been ...more
    Alexa
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

I loved The Vacationers and Modern Lovers by this author so I was thrilled to give this book a try. It is full of family dynamics, sexual identity (a bi-sexual grandmother and transgender teen), and multiple generations managing through life and relationships. The characters are lovable and real. They reminded me of the family in
    Mrs. HK Houghton-Kiel
    Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I adored All Adults here. Thanks to NetGalley for my Kindle review copy. I want to move to Clapham NY, get my hair cut at Shear Beauty, eat at Spiro’s Pancake House, shop at Secondhand News and have a drink at Buddy’s. I need to become friends with Porter Strick, eat her goat cheese, and find out what happens to Cecelia and August. Emma Straub’s characters are so flawed, they are all perfect. Beautiful depiction of family secrets, family love, parental mistakes, and second and third chances. ...more
    Ilyssa Wesche
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
    Andrienne
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
    Astrid witnessed her “friend” Barbara get hit by a bus. She was a widow and finally decides that she’ll start living her life. I agree with one of the reviews that mentioned that this book barely had a plot. The characters are not very interesting, but the writing has a lot going for it-the way ideas and scenarios are laid out, those deserve the three stars.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance copy.
    Nicole Quattro
    Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
    The premise of this novel is that an adult woman witnesses something traumatic that causes her to reflect on all the wrongs she committed as a parent. That plot line wasn’t really evident throughout. The accident that Astrid witnesses isn’t really explored, her relationship with the victim isn’t really believable, and the “wrongs” she committed against her children weren’t really stated beyond the everyday decisions and statements that we all second guess in hindsight.
    Seth Grossman
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I really enjoyed this book. It was a fresh take on the multi-generational family novel. The author did an excellent job of toggling between the perspectives of the different characters -- giving the reader real insight into their motivations and how it shaped their relationships. The story was quite engaging and the interplay between the different characters' narratives always felt natural. Highly recommend.
    Kelly
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
    All Adults Here is an enjoyable story about growing pains, familial imperfections, and the simultaneous weight and joy of parenthood. Emma Straub’s writing is accessible and warm, and for the most part her plot and characters feel current and lifelike. I most enjoyed the chapter about August at summer camp, and in particular these lines:

“Sometimes a lie wasn’t a lie when it got you closer to the truth. Sometimes a lie was more like a wish, or a prayer.”
    Shoshana G
    Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: grown-up-fiction
    I liked this a lot at the time, but then I set it down for a few days before writing a review and found I have nothing to say about it. I will add that the publisher's description is really not how I'd describe it, but it is a novel about family and how most of us are just doing our best.

I read an e-ARC through NetGalley.
    Chris Markley
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    As individual lives begin to face massive changes the family is forced to find ways to function as a family of adults. Can they put away the expectations and resentments from childhood and become a supportive family of adults?

Thank to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC for my honest review.
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Not quite as *perfect* as Modern Lovers, but another readable, humane, funny and moving family novel from Straub, covering aging, parenting, siblings, regrets, gender identity and mortality. So glad she's producing ever-more ambitious work.
    Alissa
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: first-reads, 2020
    Family secrets and coming of age, multiple points of view.
    Courtney Paddick
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Enjoyable read touching upon numerous very timely social issues.
    Elizabeth
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Most definitely not to my taste.
    Claire Messano
    Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Emma Straub’s best work yet! A complicated story of the joyous and tough moments that families face throughout their lives as we all get through this thing called life. I loved every minute of it.
    Anmiryam
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Charming.
    Heather Girves
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advanced copy of this book. A great, quick read

• In Five Years
    • Twenty-one Truths About Love
    • Uncanny Valley
    • Weather
    • The Knockout Queen
    Emma Straub is the New York Times‒bestselling author of the novels All Adults Here, Modern Lovers, The Vacationers, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, and the short story collection Other People We Married. Straub's work has been published in twenty countries, and she and her husband own Books Are Magic, an independent bookstore in Brooklyn, New York.