Start by marking “All Adults Here” as Want to Read:
All Adults Here

All Adults Here

When Astrid Strick witnesses a school bus accident in the center of town, it jostles loose a repressed memory from her young parenting days decades earlier. Suddenly, Astrid realizes she was not quite the parent she thought she’d been to her three, now-grown children. But to what consequence?

Astrid’s youngest son is drifting and unfocused, making parenting mistakes of his
Hardcover, First, 368 pages
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about All Adults Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Adults Here

Start your review of All Adults Here
Ang
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was entertaining, though there was definitely zero plot. (I mean, maybe a minuscule plot. Hard to find. Need a magnifying glass.) I think it's a big of a set-piece. A truly enjoyable one, though! I will have NO trouble at all handing this to patrons looking for beach reading in 2020, I'll tell you what.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the digital ARC.
Mary
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars are inadequate. I loved this novel a lot. Thanks, Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance, for the chance to receive a copy of this ARC at the SIBA#19 Trade Show in September, 2019. I’d add more but I respect the guidelines not to quote from or give away details about an ARC. I’ll say this: get a copy on May 5, 2020, the publication date of ALL ADULTS HERE.
Karen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want this novel full of humor and heart to end. Emma Straub once again delivers a delightful, immersive read with lessons to be learned for all.
Laura Hill
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Riverhead Books and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on May 5th, 2020.

Plot: 3/5 Characters: 4/5 Writing: 4/5
Engaging novel about the complex family dynamics of three generations of Stricks: Astrid (a 68-year old widow and newly woke bi-sexual), her three adult children, and her teenage granddaughter Cecelia — all in various stages of “growing up.” Evolving relationships between couples, parents and
Natalie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first glance this looks like a novel about a family in crisis, but as I read and peeled back the layers, it was apparent that Straub used the Strick family as a vehicle to explore 21st century life, sexuality and changing mores.

The author cleverly inserts family members in turmoil as they confront unmarried pregnancy via a sperm bank, bullying, internet dangers, gender dysphoria and lesbian love. Yet, none of this seems forced or outrageous. Straub manages to have the family going through
Alexa
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

I loved The Vacationers and Modern Lovers by this author so I was thrilled to give this book a try. It is full of family dynamics, sexual identity (a bi-sexual grandmother and transgender teen), and multiple generations managing through life and relationships. The characters are lovable and real. They reminded me of the family in
Ilyssa Wesche
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Seth Grossman
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fresh take on the multi-generational family novel. The author did an excellent job of toggling between the perspectives of the different characters -- giving the reader real insight into their motivations and how it shaped their relationships. The story was quite engaging and the interplay between the different characters' narratives always felt natural. Highly recommend.
Chris Markley
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
As individual lives begin to face massive changes the family is forced to find ways to function as a family of adults. Can they put away the expectations and resentments from childhood and become a supportive family of adults?

Thank to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC for my honest review.
Courtney Paddick
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read touching upon numerous very timely social issues.
Nicole
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Katherine
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had liked previous books by this author (Modern Lovers, The Vacationers) and I thought this multi-generational family drama set in the Hudson Valley would be right up my alley. Unfortunately the author piled on one trope after another in rapid succession (the flakey son, the gay parent, the transgender child, cat fishing, teen bullying and on and on). You can skip this one.
Emily Crowe

• The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Mr. Nobody
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The New Husband
Emma Straub is the New York Times‒bestselling author of The Vacationers, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, and the short story collection Other People We Married. Her fiction and nonfiction have been published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Vogue, Elle, and Condé Nast Traveler, and she is a contributing writer for Rookie. Straub's work has been published in fifteen countries.