Start by marking “The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis, #4)

The Vampire's Bride

(Atlantis #4)

He is Layel, king of the vampires, a master seducer no woman can deny. But since a rogue horde of dragons killed his beloved over two centuries ago, Layel has existed only for vengeance - until he meets Delilah.

Wary of love, the beautiful Amazon wants nothing to do with the tormented vampire. Yet there's no denying their consuming desire every time he nears her
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by Hqn

Start your review of The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis, #4)
Penny
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think that The Vampire’s Bride might be the Atlantis series’ book that I appreciated the most.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed this series. However, I must confess that part of the rating I gave to these books is based more on my predisposition to like everything Gena Showalter writes than in my actual valuation of the books, sorry, my bad.

The Lords of the Underworld series and Alien Huntress series have a more complex and interesting universe, and on the whole I consider them to be superior to the Atlantis series b
Anne
I was really looking forward to reading this, so I was pretty surprised when I realized I didn't like it that much. I liked the whole 'survivor island' thing, but not so much the rest of it. There were two main stories running at the same time, the vampire/amazon and the vampire-demon/nymph. My problem really isn't with the fact that there was more than one story, it's just that both of the couples seem to have the same theme going in their relationships. The woman is in total love and the man d ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
If you're a big fan of the TV show 'Survivor', then you'll love Gena Showalter's "The Vampire's Bride". This is the story of the vampire king Layel and fans have been waiting for it since 2007 when she published her last 'Atlantis' book. You could call this one 'Survivor: Atlantis' or 'Paranormal Survivor' and you'd pretty much have it.

The gods have returned to Atlantis after centuries...and they're bored. To amuse themselves (which is NEVER a good thing), they decide to pit their creations aga
Carmen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
I'm bored. Listen, I like human men. Human. Just normal, warm-blooded, mortal men with all their faults and talents. I don't need a vampire, werewolf, nymph, weredragon, or whatever to make me happy. Why on earth would I want some supernatural being following me around, drooling and talking about how he "owns" me? I don't find this appealing.

This book is like a soap opera. A weird one. Layel is king of all vampires. He's consumed by hatred ever since his pregnant human wife was gang-
valee
Well this series ha some serious ups and downs. I loved books 1 and 3 but didn't enjoy close as much books 2 and 4. And it's weird because I was so sure I would love this one as everyone seemed to do so.

In this installment we get to read about Layel, king of the vampires, in a quest to kill everybody involved in the assassination of his past mate. We see everything he went through and how he suffered. While at the beginning it was sweet that he wouldn't let anything in between him an
Quinn
There’s something missing for me in Gena Showalter’s Atlantis series. This is the fourth book in the series, and each one has received a three star rating from me. On my scale, this equates to being pretty much an OK/average read – not bad, but nothing special, either – a mildly entertaining way to pass some time.

It’s a shame, because the premise has so much potential: The hidden city of Atlantis, populated by vampires, dragons, demons, nymphs, Amazons, centaurs, minotaurs, gorgons and formo
Hannah
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gena-showalter
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others from the series, I was over half way through the book before I really got into it and before that frankly I was bored and had to force myself to pick it up each time.
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying, I love Gena. I cut my PNR teeth on the Lords of the Underworld last year and have ravaged many a PNR series since then. I read the first 3 tales of Atlantis last month to get ready for this new one. For me, the Vampire's Bride was anticlimactic.

1. I never liked Layel in any of the books. To find find him as a likeable character was a stretch for me, but I made the journey.

2. My favorite parts were the minor plot of Shivawn and Alyssa. In my opinion
Diandra {Ambrosia Books}
Even when I say I won't read Gena Showalter again, I tend to pick up her books because I KNOW that i have to finish this series. It was hard to engage myself at the beginning. I literally forced myself to read the chapters until I found something I enjoyed, which ended up being Alyssa and Shivawn's story. I then found myself skipping chapters to read their story instead of Delilah and Layel's Survivor: Paradise story. Their story was boring...It's all "I hate you because I want your body which m ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved it! It was an Atlantean version of Survivor and it was (of course) to the death. I loved the Amazons and I hope we get to see Nola's story next.
Not only were they fighting their desires, fighting for their lives, and fighting Layel's (the vampire king) memories of his dead mate, they were unkowingly fighting for the gods. It was a great read and an exciting book that was more than just boy meets girl (or vampire meets amazon) they deny love, they fight their desire, and they live hap
Marulett
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marulett by: Aly (Lothaire) Daciano
Freaking amazing!!! It was like the hunger games of the underworld and no PG restriction!!

Another great book by GS :))
Serena F.
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Sophia
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
This was the final novel in the Atlantis series and I confess, it was the one I was most curious about because it was the challenge of turning the bad guy into the good guy or at least a guy who would wasn't all bad.

Truthfully, I have never really looked on Layel, the Vampire king, as the bad guy. He had something horrific happen in his life and it broke him. I hated many of his actions, but I've mostly just felt pity. And pity isn't something I like for the most dominant thing I feel for my he
Amanda
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have a soft spot for vampires because it seems to be hard for me to read a book about them and not enjoy it. From the beginning, I had a hard time pulling myself away from The Vampire's Bride. There's a real story going on, not just a love story. The Gods have decided to wage a competition that involves all the races of Atlantis. People's true feelings for each other are revealed in the process, making friends enemies and enemies friends. Well... almost. They have to learn to live with ea ...more
Chandra
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Chandra by: chandragay01@gmail.com
AUTHOR: Had I read this book BEFORE having read Gena Showalter’s “Lords of the Underworld” series I would probably be done with this author. “The Vampire’s Bride” is book four of the Atlantis series. Continuous incessant and boring dialogue coupled with extreme sex scenes make the book dull and dry.

SYNOPSIS -
Two of the strongest from the various mythical characters living in Atlantis, vampires, dragons, demons and other legendary creatures, are pitted against each other. They have b
Kelly
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for Layel's book since he was first introduced and he didn't disappoint. He's tormented, bloodthirsty, strong and caring all at once. Of course, the tormented thing was mostly his own doing. I mean, there comes a point where you have to let things go. Right? If you don't it'll eat you alive and turn you into a shadow of the sexy vamp-hunk you should be. Poor Layel. All angry and brooding and not getting sexed up for 200 years. Come to think of it, that would make me both broodi ...more
SheLove2Read
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Have you ever picked up a book and thought to yourself "oh, I won't like this"? But then you thought "well, its part of a series, I might miss something if I don't read it"?

I should have listened to myself.

This is the continuing saga of Atlantis and Layel's storyline. I've never been a fan of turning the bad guy into your hero in your next book - which is what this is. Its also very violent in the beginning. It also seems to glamorize pain and suffering to an extent, for the female
Cindi
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Jessica  `~Blahyze~`
3 1/2 stars to 4 stars.

Not quite as good as the previous three in my opinion, but good none the less. Finally a female lead who isn't a virgin! Hallelujah! Poor tormented Layel, caught between the pain of losing his past love and moving on with his new-found lover.
Aly is so frigging bored
Buddy read with Maru
So much better then the 1st read :D
Kathy
Sarah Marie
The Vampire's Bride by Gena Showalter

Fourth in the Atlantis series

Layel is the king of the vampires and he has seen more deaths than all of the armies of Atlantis combined have… and he has been the one giving it. After the dragons viciously murdered the woman he loved he vowed to destroy the entire race for the death of his mate and unborn child. Layel meets Delilah during a battle between the dragons and Amazon’s that he decided to join. Delilah is one the fiercest Amazon warriors and she longs for love. After seeing all thstars
Layelseries
4.25

Layel is the king of the vampires and he has seen more deaths than all of the armies of Atlantis combined have… and he has been the one giving it. After the dragons viciously murdered the woman he loved he vowed to destroy the entire race for the death of his mate and unborn child. Layel meets Delilah during a battle between the dragons and Amazon’s that he decided to join. Delilah is one the fiercest Amazon warriors and she longs for love. After seeing all the races of Atlantis embrace love she wonders what it would be like for her. When they are both thrust onto a deserted island along with two members of almost every Atlantean race to compete in a battle of strength to amuse the gods, there’s no denying their fierce desire for each other. But the gods want a victor as for the victor will bring them the right to enter Atlantis as they wish and the losers die by beheading will their love be strong enough to outsmart the gods? This is the last book in the Atlantis series and in honor of the ending to an amazing series I’ve decided to use gifs in this review a lot of gifs.
Atlantis Pictures, Images and Photos
Doesn't it look very Atlantis-esque? I enjoyed the ending to this series, but I didn’t love it as much as the Nymph King. I had been expecting excitement, suspense, sizzling passion, and action. There was action, some sizzling passion, and a little bit of excitement and suspense, but not as much as I would’ve liked. I had high hopes for Layel’s story mostly because he’s the “villain” of Atlantis. That prologue is one of the saddest prologues I’ve ever read and I had started crying almost immediately.
emily fitch crying. Pictures, Images and Photos
I enjoyed Delilah and Layel’s story, but the couple that I really enjoyed reading about was Shivawn and Alyssa. I lurve Shivawn and Alyssa love and struggle and feel that they should’ve gotten a short story. That’s just my opinion though. I did also enjoy Nola and Zane’s budding romance and I think the short story after this book is based on them. I hope so because once I get a Kindle that book will be mine.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 4.5

The main female character is Delilah. I really like Delilah maybe even more than Grace and Shaye. OK well, maybe not but I still really liked her and she was definitely better than Jewel. Delilah was strong and knew what she wanted, but she was also conflicted and scared. Scared and anxious about being in a relationship with Layel when it might not work out or not because of his love for his old mate, Susan. I respect Delilah and I liked her outcome. I feel like Delilah would kind of look like her. Not exactly like her, but a lot of the same features.
Atlantis the Lost Empire Pictures, Images and Photos

Kick-Butt Heroine Scale: 4.25

The main male character is Layel. I love Layel, but at the same he pissed me off with constant pushing Delilah away from him. Layel went through a lot of shit from the dragons and finally understood his hatred, but I think he shouldn’t have been so fast to push Delilah away. Layel isn’t my favorite male of the Atlantis series but I did love reading about him. This is completely random, but it made me laugh so yeah.
disney atlantis Pictures, Images and Photos

Swoon Worthy Scale: 4.75

The Villain- The pesky gods that love meddling in people’s lives well they are the villains. Remember how Poseidon remembered Atlantis and decided to wreak havoc in The Nymph King well he’s back and he has some other gods with him. Hestia, Ares, Athena, and Apollo accompany Poseidon in watching and conducting the game between the races of Atlantis. These gods don't really scare me, but amuse me. Most of the time I laugh at their greediness.
disney atlantis Pictures, Images and Photos

Villain Scale: 4

As I mentioned above Alyssa and Shivawn were my favorite couple to read about. I think they should’ve gotten their own story or at least a novella. I loved their story, but it was cut too short and they need more attention. Zane and Nola are going to be an interesting couple if they hopefully become a couple. I hope they become a couple. God, I need to know. Brand was trying to settle the peace between all the races. He’s a nice dragon, but I can’t say the same for his other brethren in the competition. I still wonder what his punishment was, but I’m not going to say his name because well I’ll let you find out if you haven’t read this book already.

Character Scale: 4.5

So, this series isn't completely over, but it’s the last book. I need to get my hands on the novella ASAP. disney atlantis Pictures, Images and Photos
I'm ready for that book and it shall be mine! Hopefully it’ll wrap up all loose ends and make a perfect little bow. I loved the Atlantis books. It was a world I enjoyed being a part of and wish it wasn’t over for me. This is a series I’m going to miss because it was a world that is rare in books and it will have a special place in my heart.disney atlantis Pictures, Images and Photos

Plotastic Scale: 4.5

Cover Thoughts: I like the cover, but it’s the weakest of the covers compared to the other books. The color swirling around Layel is captivating though.
TammyJo Eckhart
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed several Gena Showalter short stories in the past even if many of them are "alpha" man types because her female characters are strong, too. That's true to this novel, the first of her novels that I have read, but from there it quickly went downhill for me.

My first problem is that there are just too many viewpoint characters. Honestly once our main two characters are taken from Atlantis, I don't need to know what others are doing back there. I found the returning chapter
Georgia Diamanti
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

My favourite book of this series hands down!! And Layel is my favourite man!

As for the gods again? Assholes. They ask (order) them to compete against each other for their amusement. It could be fun..but they are actually fighting for their own lifes. All this is happening in an island where they divide them into teams. Gena created a sexy paranormal 'survivor' game everyone! How interesting is that!

We have two awesome main characters, Layel and Delilah. Layel has a painful past and he can't love easily again
Amberly
Not my favorite of the series story wise. I liked the characters, but the story/setting felt too forced.

The whole trapped on an island in a Survivor-meets-Hunger-Games style "test" seemed like she was out of ideas inside actual Atlantis. I would have rather seen the gods interfere in the city and cause political intrigue and war *within* Atlantis.

Also, the 2 other love plots felt like an attempt to fill pages. They were stuffed in there because there wasn't enough story t
Mariam Markitani
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the fact that the main character was struggling with accepting even the slightest possibility of finding a love equal with that which he felt for his first wife as this showed that he could not just move on after her death like so many other book characters because he just found a new girl that intrigued him. Also i liked the way that the author played with Greek mythology and the presentation of the gods as representatives for each species which lived it atlantis.
Kl
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I have loved this series. This book is probably a solid 4. However, it just did not live up to the series. There were way, way, way too many love interest in this one.
I had trouble concentrating enough to read this book. I wanted to know what happened but the interplay just didn't hold my interest.

I'm a little over half way through but can't get myself to change my mind. I will finish this, as I want to know what will happen, but it's not my favorite.
Michelle Wing
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the other three books but didn’t enjoy this one as much and couldn’t get over the whole gladiators/trials thing. It was hard to get to like Delilah until the almost the end.
I would enjoy reading more books about Atlantis and some of the other characters so will keep a look out for more from this author.
Joey
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book I think I read the phrase hard nipples over twenty times lol. The story was really good but the way layel resists deliah can get alittle old after a while. It was fast paced and tons of action and gore given this as romance novel. Loved the book
Nsombi Corlew
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed laurel's book!!!!full of mythical creatures, surprise twists and turns,2 people learning they CAN trust one another,forces trying to tear them apart and them making a go of it in spite of it all!!!an awesome happily ever after awaits!!!!!2 thumbs up for Gena!!!
Gena Showalter Fans: The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis #4) 1 8 Jul 23, 2012 01:29PM

• No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • Dragonbane  (Dark-Hunter #24; Lords of Avalon, #4; Were-Hunter, #9, Hellchaser, #6)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
  • Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #5)
  • Pleasure (Shadowdwellers, #3)
  • Son of No One (Dark-Hunter, #23; Hellchaser, #5; Were-Hunter, #8, Lords of Avalon, #3)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #6)
  • Time Untime (Dark-Hunter #21; Hellchaser, #4; Were-Hunter, #7)
  • Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6)
  • Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #8)
  • One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter #15)
  • Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4)
  • Hades (Demonica Underworld #2; Lords of Deliverance #6.5; Demonica #13; 1001 Dark Nights #19)
  • The Guardian (Dark-Hunter, #20; Dream-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #6; Hellchaser, #3)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • No Mercy (Dark-Hunter #18, Were-Hunter, #5)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have

Atlantis (4 books)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1)
  • Jewel of Atlantis (Atlantis, #2)
  • The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3)
“I didn't ask you to give up anything for me," she told him, "but I would have given up everything for you." The war is over, and I have lost. War. Ha! As if she could have fought a dead woman. The battle had been over before it began. "Until the end of forever, Layel." -DELILAH” 4 likes
“Number eight of the ten Amazon commandments: never fight an opponent face-to-face if you couldn’t defeat him. Wait and stab him in the back later.” 2 likes