Start by marking “The Schoolhouse: A Hickory Grove Novel” as Want to Read:
The Schoolhouse: A Hickory Grove Novel

The Schoolhouse: A Hickory Grove Novel

To move forward, she might have to take a step back.

Divorced empty-nester Becky Linden wants a fresh start. After two decades away, she returns to her hometown to find herself. What she discovers instead is the long-abandoned schoolhouse where she had her first kiss as a teenager.

Others might see an eyesore, but Becky sees the neglected building as a charming business opportunity and…heteenager.

Others

Published September 3rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Schoolhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schoolhouse

Start your review of The Schoolhouse: A Hickory Grove Novel
Mara
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becky Linden moved away from Hickory Grove, Indiana 18 years ago to attend college in Arizon. She's never been back to visit because of a lack of money due to the fact that she's a single mom who never finished her degree. Her son Theo is going to college and Becky's moving to Hickory Grove to help Memaw and Grandbern. She visits the old schoolhouse where she and her bestfriend Maggie used to hang out when they were kids, and she and boyfriend Zack used to meet. It was abandoned even then, but h ...more
Katie W
Bromke is an author who writes such sweet, heartwarming stories that anchor a nostalgic feeling deep into my soul. THE SCHOOLHOUSE takes place in a small town and although Becky has been gone for over 18 years, this town has claimed a piece of her and she fits right in when she goes back. I love the small town feels--the eccentric characters, the charm of the historical schoolhouse, the memories from the past that assault her, and the love that still awaits.

Becky is the type of character who de
Sheila Moss
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight to read. Becky is divorced and decides to return to her home town after her son starts college. She isn't sure what she wants to do but gradually her old dreams resurface. As a child she loved playing in the old schoolhouse even though it was rundown. Now she wants to open it up as a bookshop but finds out the owner Zack who happens to be an old boyfriend is having it torn down. Will she be able to make hers dreams come true.

I received a free copy of this book
Sandy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet second chance romance and starting over story. Becky returns home to Hickory Grove after 18 years to find her grandfather in ill health. Becky quickly falls in love again with the old school house where she played as a kid and her dream was to turn it into a bookstore. Becky finds out from her old boyfriend, Zack that the old schoolhouse is to be torn down. Will Becky be able to fulfill her dream? Will Becky and Zack renew their love?

Great steady pace, keeps you reading. Author
Heather Wamboldt
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sweet second chance romance set in the town of Hickory Grove, Indiana. A single mom, Becky, heads to her old hometown after seeing her son off to college. She hopes to make a life for herself there but did not expect to have a second chance at romance. This is a charming story with wonderful characters and a well-written storyline. The flashbacks to the one-room schoolhouse are well done.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leavi
Barbara
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book in the A Hickory Grove Novel series. A second chance for single Mom Becky Linden and Zack Durbin, they are now in their forties. A well written sweet story that held my interest throughout, once I started I was not putting this book down. The schoolhouse in their hometown of Hickory Grove is a major part of their story.I see this series has a Christmas story which I have already pre-ordered. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Molly
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grandbern was her anchor. Meemaw the wind beneath her wings. Becky and her twin Ben spent their summers and most of their spare times growing up on the farm with their grandparents. A tiny one room schoolhouse just up the way was where they met.

Becky and her friend Maggie spent a lot of time in that same little schoolhouse growing up. It was a bit of a clubhouse/ getaway for them - and her first love Zack would spend time with Becky at the schoolhouse too.

Becky went off to school in Arizona th
Nancy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Schoolhouse is an interesting story with flashbacks to when Becky Linden and her friend Maggie spends hours in the Old Hickory Grove Schoolhouse. As a child Becky Linden loved books and wanted to share her love of the schoolhouse and her love of books with the people around her. Her plans didn't turn out the way she had hoped and after a failed marriage and sending her only son off to college, Becky has returned to Hickory Grove.
Even though she is staying with her grandparents, she needs to
Sherri Geisler Locke
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Becky goes back to her hometown after many yrs away and revives her dream of turning an old rundown school house into a book store but there are obstacles in her way. Will Zack her old high school sweet heart help or hinder her? And will they take advantage at this second chance they have been given at love?

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.in her way. Will Zack her old high school sweet heart help or hinder her? And will they take
Brenda Moser
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Becky returns to her home town of Hickory Grove after divorcing and sending her son off to college with the dream to open a bookstore in the old abandoned schoolhouse, only to hear from her old high school boyfriend, Zach that the school is going to be torn down. This is a sweet second chance romance and a story of starting over. The characters are strong and the scenes are brought to life with the authors descriptive writing. It moves at a steady pace and I enjoyed and would recommend reading.< ...more
Barb
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, if totally farfetched, story of second chances. Becky returns to her hometown after nearly 20 years with no idea how she'll support herself and send money to her son who, improbably, is a student at Notre Dame. Becky wants to purchase a tumbledown schoolhouse on her grandparents' property and turn it into a bookstore -- but has no capital for the project. Enter her high-school sweetheart, who works for the school district and is tasked with arranging for the demolition of that scho ...more
Sheila
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
After Beckys son goes off to college and she has gone through s divorce she decides to return to her home town of Hickory Grove. She wants to open a book store in the little old school house but her old sweetheart Zack owns it now and it is scheduled to be demolished. Can Becky save the old school house and reconnect with Zack ?

Jeanne Richardson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book I've read written by Elizabeth Bromke; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Kristi
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, second chance romance between a forty-something, divorced, empty nester and her old high school sweetheart. When the abandoned schoolhouse brings them back together, will their old feelings for each other reignite? No spoilers here and I can't wait for more from this series!

Rose
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becky leaves home for college and even though her marriage didn't work out and everything and everyone she loves is in Hickory Grove, she stays away. 18 years later she returns home and besides her family and friend, her two loves are also still there. Good read with a touch of nostalgia.

I received a free ARC of this book; this is my honest, unbiased review.
Evonne Hutton
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
She went away to college and never came back....until now.
He went away to college and came back to wait for her.
Now that they are both back can they have a second chance at love?
A sweet romance to make you think.

Pam Merrill
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becky returns home 18 years after leaving. She waited until son was off to college. She finds she still loves the little old school house where she played as a child. Will she also still love an old boy friend she never got over? Her best friend says he is still single.
Marianne
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is a sweet second-chance romance... set around a one-room schoolhouse. It's cute and unique. Characters are very likable!

Karla K. Bynum
Mary  Jane Zaino
Oct 12, 2019
Rose Mary Leddy
Oct 12, 2019
Elizabeth Bromke is the author of the Maplewood Sisters series, a five-book saga that follows the lives of four small-town sisters, each looking for happiness. In her stories, Bromke weaves together family dynamics and the triumphs and trials of modern relationships. With the recent success of Christmas on Maplewood Mountain, Bromke has established herself as an emerging voice in clean, contempora ...more