Start by marking “Safe House” as Want to Read:
Safe House

Safe House

Published October 31st 2019 by Vintage Digital

To ask other readers questions about Safe House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe House

Start your review of Safe House
Maureen
Shelves: netgalley
**3.5 stars *

When Steffi Finn provided a false alibi for her controlling boyfriend Lee Fisher, she had no idea how bad that decision was, but it sees them both serve a prison sentence, and in Steffi’s case it comes with numerous death threats too.

On her release from prison she assumes a new identity under the name of Charlie Miller, and moves hundreds of miles away from her home in Sheffield to a small village on the Cornish coast.

Initially Charlie keeps herself to herself, but as with most s
Louise Wilson
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi has just been released from prison. She buys a run down cottage that she intends to renovate herself. She changes her name to Charlie and starts her new life in a small Cornish village. She soon starts to make new friends, even with the grumpy old man who lives next door. But then strange things start to happen around her. She feels that she is being watched. Has her past came back to haunt her.

There's quite a lot of backstory to contend with. There are parts that seem to drag
Mandy White
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Safe House by Jo Jakeman. This book was an enjoyable enough read but it never really captured me, the beginning was good but I felt that in the middle it got a bit slow and then then the ending felt rushed and way over the top. I was expecting a lot more from the story from the synopsis.

Charlie is new to the small remote Cornish town and ready for a new start. She has just been released from prison where she was serving time for providing her then boyfriend Lee a false alibi. Back then she was
Emma
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steffi Finn was in love with her man. So when he told her that the police were trying to fit him up for something he hadn’t done, she lied for him. Said he was with her all night. Because that’s what you do, right? You protect the ones you care about. Most of all, you believe them. In cases like this, you have to believe them. Otherwise those questions about missing women mean there’s something a whole lot worse going on than you just making a mistake….

And boy was she ever wrong, with a
Joanne Robertson
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie has bought a new property in Cornwall. It’s a total wreck but she’s determined to do it up and live a quiet and peaceful life there. Unfortunately, Charlie’s new abode may not be the safe haven that she’s been hoping for as she’s convinced that someone is out there, watching her. The more we find out about “Charlie”, the more we realise that she’s hiding behind her new identity to keep her former name and past a secret. But even constantly looking over her shoulder isn’t going to keep he ...more
Emma
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

I received a free eARC of Safe House but that has in no way influenced my review.

Charlie Miller is a woman with a lot to hide. What’s the best thing to do when you’ve made a number of terrible mistakes and want to forget your past? When you walk down the street of the town which you’ve lived your entire life in and people spit at you? You obviously up sticks and move to a different part of the country! Charlie Miller moves her meagre belongi
Bella Jones
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially the story of a naive woman who served 10 months after giving a false alibi to her controlling boyfriend. She is released from prison, assumes a new name and moves to a village in Cornwall to start afresh. She’s bought a run down cottage she plans to renovate herself, but will she be able to have a 2nd chance or will her past catch up with her?

This isn’t exactly a traditional thriller, the plot is taut but the tension comes on quite gently and is interspersed with
Melanie’s reads
Ooo that Jo Jakeman is a clever little bugger. I thought I had it pegged and I was, as the saying goes “close but no cigar”. I really should pay more attention as she had carefully laid clues in such a subtle way that this oaf missed them until it was too late. Now I love red herrings and unreliable narrators but what I really love is being misdirected even though the clues are there all along if you look hard enough. So when all is revealed you slap your forehead and shout god I’m a dimwit. ...more
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Safe House was intriguing psychological thriller that revolved around Charlie, desperate to put behind her past, murderer ex and hate-filled judgmental people of the town. The book was about seeing the signs and heed to warning bells before it’s too late, misreading and misjudging a person, guilt, betrayal, manipulation, lies, deceit, blind love, unhealthy relationship, and facing past to give it closure.

I have just one
Honestmamreader
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts:

Safe House is Jakeman's second novel. Sticks and Stones was her debut novel. I haven't read her first but I definitely will now.

I have to firstly say well done to Jo Jakeman for writing this mysterious, psychological thriller. You really messed with my head. This was one of those books that I couldn't put down, a proper page turner.

Ok, so the story goes like this...

Steffi Finn loved her boyfriend. She didn't query when the police came asking questions about his whereab
Rachel Bridgeman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november
'Safe House' by Jo Jakeman is out on Halloween, (very appropriately!), in hardback,audiobook and ebook format.

It's Jo Jakeman's second psychological thriller and an epic of twisty plotting which will keep the keenest reader on their toes till the very last page.

Starting with an explosive police scen which intimates the death of someone who has warned the police that they were in danger, the narrative then goes on to explore a dual timeline of Steffi Finn, doctor's recepti
Lel Budge
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi Finn is in prison, serving 10 months for giving a false alibi for her boyfriend, Lee. The relationship had been one sided and very coercive, but she loved Lee….but he had then killed another woman…

On her release, she moves to Cornwall, takes a new identity, Charlie Miller, and settles into life in a small community.

However, she starts to feel she is being watched, is this paranoia? Or is someone really watching, someone who knows her real identity?

This
Susan Hunter
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. I loved the previous book by this author, Sticks and Stones. Safe House certainly didn't disappoint. It was really and truly an edge of your seat thrilling read. There were so many suspects, I just couldn't fathom out who it was going to be. Needless to say I was wrong.. The book is intriguing from the start and just gets better as the plot unfurls. Another brilliant 5 star read by Jo Jakeman
Runalong
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, smart and well written thriller about second chances balanced with a cat and noise thriller on the Cornish coast

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Adrian Scottow
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman moves to a sleepy Cornish village to try and escape her past but her secrets follow her.

I really enjoyed the setting and characters in this book - Charlie is complex - trusting and open and entirely believable. Her past relationship with her ex - Lee is the root of her troubles and I liked the way the past and current interwove until we had the complete picture. I really enjoyed the twists and turns along the way - Jo had me questioning everybody and everything. The Cornish village feel
The Reads
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My huge thanks to Mia Quibell-Smith for my spot on the blog tour and for my copy of the book, It’s a stunner! All thoughts are my own. Safe House examines the ramifications of loving and protecting the wrong man. Should love bend irrefutably? It makes the connection of just how far you’d be willing to go for the one you love. If you are a fan of dark humour you are going to be in for a treat. Safety doesn’t happen by accident.

Being an avid psychological Thriller fan, I get extremely
Amy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Safe House tells the story of Charlie, a woman seeking a fresh start on the Cornish coast. Except Charlie wasn’t always Charlie. Until recently she had a different name and a different life. A life in which she made a terrible mistake – one that might just come back to haunt her.

The narrative of Safe House moves over two timelines. One is set in the present day, in Cornwall, and follows Charlie as she attempts to rebuild her life. The other finds Charlie in prison and flits back to r
Vicky
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s tense. It’s dark. It’s everything a good thriller should be. It’s Safe House by Jo Jakeman!
This book has such an interesting premise that I couldn’t help but be hooked. Gone are the days of protagonists being stalked for reasons unknown, to be revealed at the final plot twist. No: in this book, you know exactly what the heroine has done, and why. In fact, you might even sympathise with the stalker. The only question is who they are.
Because Steffi Finn has just gotten out of pris
Kath
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this author's debut book when I read it last year, so I was quite excited to see what she would serve up this time. Excited and a little scared that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. Well, blow me down, she's done it again. I loved it!
Charlie has bought a run down cottage in a small, remote, Cornish village. She's running from her past, her prison sentence for the part she played in keeping her serial killer boyfriend out of jail long enough to strike again. She went to jail,
Mary Picken
Steffi Finn just wants to forget her past. Newly released from prison and with a small legacy from her now deceased mother she has bought, sight unseen, a cottage in a small Cornwall village, not far from St Austell. It’s a far cry from her native Sheffield, but that’s what she needs right now – an escape from her past.

Stupidly, she believed her live-in boyfriend when he fed her a pack of lies about where he had been and what he had been doing. Even as he exerted coercive control ove
Cheryl M-M
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charlie is a new person. Reinvented to keep herself safe and perhaps finally out from under the cloud of suspicion. New house, new friends and leaving the past behind is exactly what the doctor ordered, except someone with an agenda is hot on her trail.

I think the question of doubt hangs over Charlie throughout the entire book and with good reason I might add. Aside from the fact she actively helped him to hide his crimes, she is also the person who is the most intimate with him. How
Stef L
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘In villages like Penderrion whispers and gossip writhe like eels in a barrel’ (Safe House - Jo Jakeman)

Jo’s debut, Sticks and Stones, is a rollercoaster ride of thrills laced with a dark humour. I was therefore quite excited to see what she did next.

Opening with a bang, from its rather ominous prologue right through to its final world, Safe House was all consuming, I finished it less than 24 hours after starting it!

Meet Charlie Miller, fleeing from everyone she knew and everything she ever
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
I bleeping loved this book!

Not the most verbose of reviews, I realise, but for me, this story is unputdownable.

As Charlie’s story is revealed via past and present (or, present and past), I found myself walking a tightrope of tension as I held my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop.

They say there are three sides to every story: his, hers and the truth. But which version of the truth is to be believed? Is the truth even the truth?

There are many types of abuse. Psychological
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5 Rounded up to 4

Hey all, first off thank you so much to Vintage [and NetGalley] for giving me a copy of the eARC in exchange for my honest opinion as part of the tour.

When they reached out and asked if I wanted to read and review this for a tour, how could I say no? Creepy awesome thriller for a Halloween timed tour? I was all in.

And I have no regrets! ...more
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In an attempt to rebuild her life after being released from prison Steffi moves to Cornwall. She changes her name, because of the threats she received for her crime and just wants to move on. But someone is aware of who she really is and it doesn’t take long for everything to go wrong.

I really enjoyed this novel. There is only one narrator but it feels like two as you find out how Steffi ended up in prison and how she tried to rebuild her life as Charlie when she was released.
Karen Huxtable
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Mia for my invitation to the tour and for my copy of the book in return for a fair and honest review.

The story begins with Charlie relocating to Cornwall in a near derelict house, we soon find out that Charlie is not her real name and that she has a past that she is trying to escape.

She moves to the small village of Penderrion and the residents are eager to find out all there is to know about their new neighbour.

They are not the only ones who want to find o
Hazel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading Stuff 'n' Things

This is the second novel I have read by this author, the first being Sticks and Stones, and I have enjoyed them both.

Charlie is trying to re-build her life after having spent time in prison; she buys a run down cottage in a small Cornish village and although she tries to keep herself to herself whilst renovating, she starts to become involved in village life and developing friendships amongst the residents but she soon begins to feel uneasy and things
Chloe
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this authors first book 'Sticks and Stones' so I jumped at the chance to read this book.

We meet Steffi Finn and get to know her and her life inside and outside of prison, where she is trying to build a new life for herself.

I feel that there was a lot of background story that made the book quite slow and quite frustrating to follow. I feel that it was dragged out too much.

This then led to a very rushed ending. All questions were answered quite quickly. I didnt guess who the pe
Bobby
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It tells of Steffi or Charlie as she is now known who following being released from prison has moved to start a new life. Although there were some elements the author missed e.g. why was she never seeing her probation officer (all people who serve a prison sentence are released to some form of post sentence supervision) this did not detract from the enjoyment of the book. This had lots of suspects and it had a nice pace about it. I was a bit disappointed with the ending as i ...more
Anne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Jo Jakeman's second novel. I have not read her debut novel, Sticks and Stones. I found Safe House to be a quick, light, easy to read psychological suspense story which started out quite well,slowed down in the middle and then the ending was sudden and quite fast.
This was quite an enjoyable book to read with surprises and twists and turns but I have to say I thought some were predictable and some of the actions of the characters were unbelievable.
That said, this was still quite a g

• The Lost Ones
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Bad Seed
  • Seven Days
  • Clear My Name
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • A Place to Lie
  • The Damned (The Darkest Hand Trilogy #1)
  • So Lucky