Start by marking “Historia Del Diseno Grafico (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Historia Del Diseno Grafico (Spanish Edition)

Historia Del Diseno Grafico (Spanish Edition)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,972 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Una extraordinaria y definitiva historia de la comunicacion grafica. Casi 1500 ilustraciones que abarcan la historia del diseno grafico desde la prehistoria hasta nuestros dias.
Published (first published 1983)

Victoria
I took a summer class on the History of Graphic Design and had to read this book...not cover-cover, but pretty close. It's the only class I've actually had the time to complete all of the assigned readings for, and I'm really glad I did. This book is the only one of its kind that I've found. I learned so much from it. It's always been very confusing to try to find where our history is (as graphic designers)...Meggs was the first to really pool all the information in one place.

The only qualms I
Kass Johns
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to teach a course based on this book. The book, while the information contained within is good... is a great example of how to NOT design a book. The layout of the book makes this difficult to read and understand. The entire book is typeset in a swiss sans serif for the body copy. This made it extremely difficult for not only my students to read and comprehend, but also for myself. EVERY halfway decent Graphic Designer knows that body copy is always to be set (for any lengthy publication ...more
Carrie
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I didn't read the entire book, but I read enough that I can write a good review of it. This book was my first introduction to Graphic Design. This book should be mandatory for anyone who designs documents, marketing materials, or other medias for the public. It establishes a progressive history of where design ideas came from and what influenced the designers, along with the consequences (good and bad) of their actions. The writing style is easy to follow. My only criticism is that the ...more
Jessica
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how graphic design came to be today
Recommended to Jessica by: my professor
I absolutely love art history, but am working on my degree in graphic design. This book was a recommended text to supplement a class and it is absolutely the most engaging textbook I've ever read. I do not think there are many other history books specific to design, and there certainly are none that could compare with the depth, detail and quality of information presented in Megg's History of Graphic Design.
4D
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and informative read, as well as inspiring. However, the last couple of chapters start ok but rapidly descend into what seems like a who's who, which becomes a little tedious.

In terms of layout too I found myself flipping backwards and forwards, marrying up images with the text references, which became slightly annoying. Bad design, in a design book?
Bertrand
There is a special place in my heart for big, hard-back, fully colour-illustrated design histories. It brings me its own kind of joy, maybe because it is easier to forget how subjective any historical account must be when the narrative is organised around images. Megg's History provide just that, and on top of this it is also part of that very select club of textbooks which have achieved near hegemonic status. This means you can scoop it for a few quids online, and were you not to finish it will ...more
Amy
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I really wanted to like this book. I wanted it to grab my attention and shake the creative out of me. I wanted to read it until my eyes were bleeding genius font. I wanted it to ask me on a date and take me away to a distant time and place, never turning back. I suppose had high expectations for a textbook, my fault.
As some have already mentioned, the layout of the book is awful.
With so much history involved, I think it's important to arrange pages in a way that will force/keep the reader
Graham Herrli
Oct 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-related
The first couple chapters of this book are full of interesting information about the evolution of written language. After that the book bogs down in personal details of the designers' lives. For example, I now know that in the 1700s Bodoni in Italy and Didot in France were rivals in the development of more modern fonts, each borrowing from the other, and both drawing upon the earlier type designs of Baskerville. A lot of words are wasted on telling how so-and-so designer went to so-and-so place ...more
Kass Johns
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serith
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can’t say I’m a huge sucker for art history, though this book somehow managed to make it pretty interesting. Some parts could be a touch dry, but it covers a lot. It was bought for college and kept for its relevance. For some reason I enjoy having it on my shelf and I don’t even know if I can pin point why? It did not always feel like work reading it ...and I have a hunch I may want to brush up on it again someday. Plus it’s very pretty (referring to the sample images – the book's typesetting co ...more
Chris
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first text in this book, a quote from the Austrian Bauhaus artist Herber Bayer, "the creative process is not performed by the skilled hand alone, but must be a unified process in which "head, heart, and hand play a simultaneous role," guides this exhaustive examination of the graphical development of language through speech, writing, and eventually print and video. Covering most of the major developments in the graphic arts throughout historical times. Extremely comprehensive in scope.
Jihad Lahham
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great read for every graphic designer. it's shame that they teach this book in college very briefly that students most likely hate it enough to never read it cover to cover. this is the kind of book that needs to be read more than one time and kept in proximity as a reference and constant inspiration.
James
An excellent overview of design from the origins of the word/symbol to nearly the present day. My only quibble is that Meggs drops descriptions of production techniques near the beginning of the 20th century--details that are informative in their own right and help you better understand the underlying art.
Tony
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art History and Graphic Design Students
Shelves: own
I have an earlier version of this book, but this was the book that established who was who in the history of graphic design for me. We had this book in lieu of a graphic design history course at my undergraduate school.

A must read for all graphic design and art history students. I wish it had more images, but I think that about every book. :)
Eddie
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It amazes me that graphic design and designers don't get more respect. (It takes one to know). This book serves well to open eyes to the fact that concerted, skillful design exists all around us... and without the exceptional efforts of those exceptional individuals, we'd be in a world of hurt. ...Sort of makes you think of God, doesn't it?
Carmen
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, art-books
Very interesting book, had to buy it for a Graphic Design History class, and as a previous poster said I might not sell it back after the class is done. It provided me with a more detailed background on the history of printing and design, type etc. which I knew nothing about, loved the pictures in the book as well. As a Photography major it definitely got me more interested in Graphic Design!
Daria
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I been using this book in my graphic design school. Everything in it well explained and with illustrations. On my opinion this is the best graphic design history book which exist nowadays. If you are student, don't hesitate to read it.
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was very informative, I got lost in all of the names, dates, and places. I'm so glad that there were plenty of pictures to offset the text. For a textbook, it would have been nice to have used bold print for important items, like definitions and important people.
Jerri
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a History of Graphic Design class. The first part of the book was definitely interesting, but I have to admit that as the semester progressed I skimmed the rest of the chapters. I will have to reread this book in the future to fully appreciate it.
Linda
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly this is more of an encyclopedia than a history and has quite a few blind-spots (it is rarely critical or even intellectual in any way) but is quite useful as a reference for movements and images.
Lionel
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are taking a history of graphic design class only
Recommended to Lionel by: A so-so teacher
Shelves: for-school
This textbook was boring and dry in my experience and I am no textbook hater. I liked some of the information I learned in the book about Gutenberg, the inventor of the printing machine and also the illustrators of the dark ages.
krad
Definitely your typical textbook. Solid info, good to have a cursory knowledge if you're in the industry - I for sure found a few names to go research further. (Muriel Cooper for example; founder of MIT Media Labs, and one of the greatest unsung women designers of recent years!)
Gregory
Jun 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this very heavy book for a class. It's got lots of nice pictures.
Ha Anh
Nov 05, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Chanel
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a course book during my studies to become a graphic designer. Loved reading it.
Kim M-M
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art_craft_design
One of the most comprehensive histories of graphic design I've read.
Leighwoosey
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and expansive, not much can be said about this that hasn't been already. There's a reason it's the staple of every graphic design course's reading lists. A must for students.
Alena Christian
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the book that made me want to become a graphic designer. It is well written, lots of photos and always a good source of inspiration.
Victoria H.
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could pause time and re-read this book examining every beautiful example. It makes you fall in love with the visual world.
Cemile
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, graphic-design
Best resource for Graphic Design history. I read every chapter and will re-read from time to time. A lot of visuals in the book as well.
Design Books: Battle of Design History Books: Megg's vs. Eskilson 1 19 Dec 05, 2012 06:15PM
  • Typographic Design: Form and Communication
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The New Typography
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • No More Rules: Graphic Design and Postmodernism
  • Graphic Design: The New Basics
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos
  • Designing with Type: The Essential Guide to Typography
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines
  • Marks of Excellence
  • The Design of Dissent: Socially and Politically Driven Graphics
1913
Philip B. Meggs charted new territory in the field of graphic design history. His authoritative survey A History of Graphic Design was the first attempt at creating a definitive and linear history of the graphic design profession, charting its progress from the marks found in the caves of Lascaux to experimentation with digital media in the late 1990s. The book quickly became standard reading for ...more
More about Philip B. Meggs...