Start by marking “The Little Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

A beautifully illustrated new translation of a beloved Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale

Six young sisters live in the depths of the ocean, longing for the chance to see the beauty of the earth. Most eager of all is the youngest mermaid, who counts the days to her fifteenth birthday when her grandmother will finally allow her to rise to the surface.

Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Pushkin Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Little Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Mermaid

Start your review of The Little Mermaid
Emma
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Little Mermaid was my favourite film growing up. It was where my love of disney started. I love Little Mermaid Retellings and I think we all owe Hans Christian Anderson so much. Anyway I digress.

The illustrations are lovely, it is my hope there will be more in the final release however they add a great dimension to the story. This retelling and translation is good and something I think everyone should read
amanda
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I 100% am writing this post while listening to The Little Mermaid soundtrack by the way.

Since the announcement of the live action The Little Mermaid film the mermaid mania has kicked it up 100 fold. And it’s already been a hype storm. My daughter loves swimming and since she was young me and my best friend have referred to her as our little mermaid. The number one item on her Christmas list to Santa this year is a mermaid swim suit complete with tail.

I was born in 1989, t
Celtic's Library
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who does not love a classic story such as this one? When I was little, I loved the Little Mermaid and did not know until I was slightly older that there was another version other than the Disney one. Disney movies always end with a happily ever after. However, the original stories were meant to teach young children a lesson. In the case of the Little Mermaid, you should listen to your elders or you will turn into sea foam. Fortunately, this story also has a happy ending, even if it is not the on ...more
Shirley (MommyBookwyrm)
The Little Mermaid has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. I’ve read it so many times, in tons of different collections and translations, I watched the Disney animated movie into the ground when I was a child, and I devour every retelling that I can find. So, when I saw this cross my dashboard on NetGalley I obviously had to jump on it.

It’s the same story as in all the other books lining bookstore and library shelves, any differences are subtle due to the translation, but it reads beaut
Alexandra
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A few black and white drawn illustrations to go along with the story by Andersen. Does include a very short story from him. Classic tale of the little mermaid - not your Disney version. Nicely set up and formatted.
Mary Rees
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated new translation of The Little Mermaid from the original by Hans Christian Anderson. The descriptive language is beautiful and evocative, and the black and white illustrations are stunning with the mermaids picked out in black ink whilst the surroundings are mostly detailed outline drawings.
Deep in the sea stands the idyllic castle of the Sea King where he lives with his six daughters and their Grandmother. His youngest daughter’s favourite possession is a marbl
Meghan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC from Pushkin Children's Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is one of my favorite fairy tales of all time. I love the Disney movie but you never loose touch of the original Hans Christian Andersen tale. The illustrations are completely breathtaking and so graphic that I have never seen the story come to life. The translation and retelling of the tale is just as good if not bet
Carolyn
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for the Advanced Reader's Copy of this book. I received this in exchange for my honest review. Disney's The Little Mermaid was my favorite movie growing up. I'm sure I watched it over a million times and at one point I could have recited it by heart. I just had to review this version as well. This book is directed at a middle school reader level. There is a few pictures, just enough to keep a child interested. Not too many where it would become a distraction. I enjoyed thi ...more
Emma
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recieved a free copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

First off, the cover is beautiful. This is the same book just new illistrations. I have not read the original before. It was a little different than the disney version. A little crueller, but I liked it. It was a quick read and no gore, maybe not suitable for really youung kids, but it's aimed at kids who would be old enough to read it themselves anyway.

I liked the illustrations although there weren't m
Theediscerning
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well-presented brace of fairy tales – The Little Mermaid, sans songs, proves to be a piece with a weird ending, but typical Andersen tropes, of body parts, pain and people transforming their destinies. More pain follows in the short bonus story, where a tin soldier falls for a paper ballerina in a child's fairy castle diorama. Peculiar – but the book is a fine one, and the new illustrations bring something of those colour-in-yourself book aesthetics nicely to the page.
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd only watched movie versions of "The Little Mermaid" so far, so I was interested to see what the original source material was like.

I loved the writing style but, as with all short stories, I felt that something was missing. Still, this is a beautiful fairytale that I'm happy to have read.

The second story in this edition wasn't to my taste and felt a little disappointing after reading "The Little Mermaid".
Sayo
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I have always loved the little mermaid.
When I was young and I read the book for the first time, I remember being so disappointed that the mermaid (who was still Ariel to me) did not end up with the prince.

It is always nice to revisit stories from your childhood. Hans Christian Andersen, while often morbid tells great stories.
Georgi_Lvs_Books
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes it is shameful that I have NEVER read The Little Mermaid until now.

I really enjoyed this short children’s classic! I think the illustrations would be more beautiful in book form rather than kindle form.

The message I got from this story is to treasure what you already have in life!

A lovely classic! Very enjoyable.
Miranda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely little version of The Little Mermaid with some beautiful illustrations.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.
Linda Phillips
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson is a beautifully written and illustrated childrens book. This is a well loved story in this house with my three children.
Steff Pasciuti

• Monsters Are Afraid of Babies
  • Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • Little Darlings
  • Three Hours
  • Secret Magic (Evie Everyday Witch #1)
  • The Princesse de Clèves
  • The Fowl Twins
  • The Children's Block: Based on a true story by an Auschwitz survivor
  • Supernova Era
  • Worthy
  • Stories Jesus Told: The Lost Son Comes Home
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • The Seventh Bride
  • Spellbound
  • Dein perfektes Jahr
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories — called eventyr, or "fairy-tales" — express themes that transcend age and nationality.

Andersen's fai