Start by marking “Space Magic” as Want to Read:
Space Magic

Space Magic

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This Endeavour Award-winning collection pulls together 15 critically acclaimed science fiction and fantasy stories that take readers from a technicolor cartoon realm to an ancient China that never was, and from an America gone wrong to the very ends of the universe. Including the Hugo Award-winning "Tk'Tk'Tk," the Writers of the Future Award winner "Rewind," "Nucleon," "Th ...more
Published May 25th 2008 by Wheatland Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Space Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Magic

Scott Danielson
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
David D. Levine and I are connected, but he doesn't know it. At the only Worldcon I've ever attended (LA Con IV, 2006), Harlan Ellison presented a Hugo Award to Levine for his short story "Tk'tk'tk". The image of Levine leaping for joy into the arms of Harlan Ellison is a bright memory of that wonderful week. That's why I was thrilled to see this collection available as an e-book. I thought I'd enjoy it, and I wasn't disappointed.

There are 15 stories included here, and they demonstrate story-tel
Kat  Hooper
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Before picking up this story collection, I was only familiar with David D. Levine from a couple of his stories that I’ve read in anthologies. Space Magic sparked my interest because it contains a Hugo Award winning story (“Tk’Tk’Tk’”) and because it has recently been released in audio format, read by the author himself.

Isabel (kittiwake)
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt-er
I received a free copy of this book in return for a review, via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

This is a story about a bird. A bird, a ship, a machine, a woman - she was all these things, and none, but first and fundamentally a bird.
It is also a story about a man - a gambler, a liar, and a cheat, but only for the best of reasons.
No doubt you know the famous Portrait of Denali Eu, also called The Third Decision, whose eyes have been described as "two pools of sadness iced over with dete
Tom
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Audiobook read by the author.

Space Magic is a collection of short stories by David D. Levine that are either Science Fiction, Fantasy, or some combination of those together. I have to admit that I really enjoyed this short story collection. Short stories in general sometimes feel underdeveloped or trivial, but the stories in this collection do a great job of introducing a whole new world, what's going on, and coming to a satisfying conclusion. If you like SciFi/Fantasy of any kind, this is a gre
Alan
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alan by: Multnomah County Library
This collection by Portland author David Levine is all over the map - and that's a good thing, in this case. It shows his range. Levine's stories invite comparison with authors as varied as Jack Finney, Jack Dann and Jack Vance, as well as with others who aren't even named Jack.

And I'm not by any means alone in admiring his work; "Tk'Tk'Tk" won a Hugo award for Best Short Story in 2006.

Picking particular stories to recommend is difficult, because there are so many good ones, but the tales that s
TwitchyRedPen
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like sci-fi, but don't think they like short stories
Shelves: reviewed, paper-book
Disclosure: I am friends with Sara Mueller, who co-wrote the included "Falling Off the Unicorn." (I think I enjoyed it its own merits, but it's best to be honest.)

The stories in Space Magic are fantasy in a way that makes sense. Everything is "normal", except there's clicking bug-aliens. Everything is "normal", except the government has time-rewinding assassins. And the stories have a plot. Even the ones not set in this world have a tether to Earth and reality.

See, sometime after reading this,
Edjane Stewart
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading all short stories in Space Magic. David Levine stories are varied little worlds of wonder waiting to entertain us. I found myself smiling at the end of some stories, like I do when I read the few short stories written by my favorite authors. I look forward to find more stories written by him. He certainly knows how to write a great short story.

Below are individual ratings of the short stories in the book.
Wind from a Dying Star (4 stars)
Nucleon (5 stars)
I Hold My Father's
Fantasy Literature
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

It rarely happens that I enjoy every story in a collection, but that’s what happened here. All of these tales are entertaining, I was pleased with the diversity of themes and styl
Ryan Mishap
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fantasy
A Portland author, a book that beat out even Stephenson to win an award, and an intto duction by a Eugene author I like--what could go wrong?

Well, not anything, really. These are the types of SF and fantasy stories I like to read: stories that are more concerned with people and emotions than gadgets and interstellar wars. I like the way they are set and the fact that Levine isn't afraid to do political stories.

So, all the ingredients are there, right? I mean the guy writes short stories much li
John Kusters
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I generally do not like anthologies. Most of them are very uneven, and stories that don't catch my interest often cause me to put the book aside. So, I was skeptical when a friend recommended this anthology to me. "Trust me," he said.

I'm glad I did. There wasn't a single story in this book that failed to catch my interest. Even though the stories had wildly different genres, settings, and styles, they all were captivating. Some were funny, some were thought-provoking, and some were kind of just
Carol Brannigan
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, er-arc
I'm a bit torn on this book. To me they are science fiction stories - yet they aren't. I would suggest that the settings for the stories are based in science fiction and fantasy. However, the actual stories come across as dealing with standard life themes. The were a few hits and a few misses.

My favorites include: Nucleon, Rewind, Charlie the Purple Giraffe was acting strangely, and The Tale of the Golden Eagle. The ones I felt were lacking were: Falling of the Unicorn and I hold My Fathers Paws
Jens
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not usually a reader of short stories. I got this book as part of the early reviewer program at Goodreads. I liked the first story "Wind from a Dying Star". Actually the first thing I liked in the book was the introduction. Anyway the first story was followed by a collection of very varied stories with different subjects and styles. Some I liked more than other, but there was no story that I didn't enjoy reading. After finishing some of the stories, for instance "Love in the Balance", I fel ...more
Mark Niemann-Ross
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everyone seems to be ga-ga about the Hugo winner "T'k' T'k' T'k'" but honestly, my favorite is "Charlie the Purple Giraffe Was Acting Strangely". It's a cleverly hidden discussion of existentialism - possibly space / time? Well worth a read by the Philosophy, Quantum Physics and Astrophysics majors.
Cathy
May 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
[Really enjoyed his story in [book:Armored|12377899], "The Last Days of the Kelly Gang." I'm not usually a person who reads short stories, but I've been enjoying anthologies more, and the story was solid enough to seem encouraging when I saw that this book won an Endeavor Award and contains his Hugo Award winning story. - Will write a real review after I read the book.]
Elaysee
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elec-own
An excellent collection with a lot of variety. I first encountered one of Levine's SF stories, Damage, but I enjoyed the fantasies in this collection at least as much.
Tamahome
Mar 01, 2012 marked it as to-read
Heard em on sfsignal. http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012...

This guy needs more ratings.

He has a lot of free short stuff online.

Veach Glines
May 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Not engaging enough.
Monica Boyd
Jul 04, 2014 marked it as to-read
David D Levine received a Hugo award for short fiction and also a 20 year medallion at the recent Iagsdc convention in SLC. Going to read his stuff!
Cathyd
Oct 11, 2017
Ilias Stroulias
Jun 08, 2015
1988739
David D. Levine is the author of novel Arabella of Mars (Tor 2016) and over fifty SF and fantasy stories. His story "Tk'Tk'Tk" won the Hugo Award, and he has been shortlisted for awards including the Hugo, Nebula, Campbell, and Sturgeon. Stories have appeared in Asimov's, Analog, F&SF, and five Year's Best anthologies as well as award-winning collection Space Magic from Wheatland Press.

David i
More about David D. Levine...