Start by marking “I Know What You Did Last Summer” as Want to Read:
I Know What You Did Last Summer

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Last summer, four terrified friends made a desperate pact to conceal a shocking secret. But now, someone has learned the truth and is determined to get even.

The horror is starting again. There is an unknown avenger out there who is stalking them in a deadly game. Will he stop at terror-or is he out for revenge?
Published April 6th 1999 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about I Know What You Did Last Summer, please sign up.
Jenn No, it talks about drugs and involves lots of relationship talk that fifth graders should not be reading about. Definitely a teen thriller.

Start your review of I Know What You Did Last Summer
Joe Valdez
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Before it was a '90s slasher movie, I Know What You Did Last Summer was actually a novel by Lois Duncan and believe it or not, a very good one. Published in 1973 and revised by the author in 2010, I had superficial issues with her decision to rebrand everything from fashion to geopolitics to telephones for the Young Adult reader of today--a decision that felt financial as opposed to creative--but where it matters, the book generates a terrific amount of suspense and delivers a satisfying payoff ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Welcome to . . . .

I decided to take a break from my usual selections . . . .

And read listen to this oldie-but-goodie to celebrate my favorite time of year . . .

(Spoiler Alert: He’s really going to murder her for being a basic white bitch.)

After having a pretty meh time with Killing Mr. Griffin during Banned Book Week, I set my expectations super low before starting this one. Imagine my delight when I ended up really
Bren
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of YA Mysteries, Fans of Lois Duncan.
One is never to old to read the classic mystery "I know what you did last summer" which was also a movie (not a very good one) and spawned many a copy c at book with a similiar premise.

I first read this as a kid. I am a huge fan of Louis Duncan's work and this was one of her best novels. The premise is simple. A group of 4 teenagers, out late one night, partying it up, hit a boy on a bike and do not stop. They make a pact to keep what happened a secret.

One year later, Julie James one of the
Rebecca McNutt
Not the greatest film in the world and even worse of a book. I Know What You Did Last Summer is so cheesy and predictable that it seems almost on-purpose. The characters are ridiculous caricatures of "typical teens" and they acted completely ridiculous at the best of times.
Ken
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn’t until recently that I found out that one of my favourite movies of the late 90’s was actually based on a book, but what is more surprising is how different they both feel.

I’d not realised that I was in fact reading an updated version of the story, with talk of cell phones and CDs it felt very much of that time period. It wasn’t until mentions of the Iraq war that I’d finally realised that changes had been made! Oops...

This book is clearly being aimed at people like me who have come to
Darth J
Okay guys, I read this book when I was in fourth grade (when the movie came out) so my recollection will be a little bit foggy. Just go with me on this, okay? (view spoiler)

So the plot of this story centers on Julie James (view spoiler)
Christian Guzman
I read this novel in one sitting. It wasn’t the most enjoyable book I have read, but it wasn’t unexciting either. I would have probably enjoyed this novel way more if I had read it when I was about 13 years old. The concept and plot of the book grabbed my attention which is why I decided to read it. Also, the length of the book was ideal, just in case if I didn’t enjoy it I wouldn’t have wasted too much time on it. It was quite entertaining, but it lacked suspense for me. At first I found it to ...more
 Readaholic Jenn
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
An amazing book. It holds your attention from start to finish. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Diego Sanchez
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: movie-books

As plenty of you, I know this movie since I think it is one of the most representatives from the 90's and one of my favorites may I say, since it has an iconic cast and I found it fun and suspenseful as well. Sadly, if you are looking to see the movie turning into a book you will be wrong (As me) and here are my thoughts:

*Plot/Development: This book tells us the story of four teenagers who are involved in an accident, that ends up wrong since it turns for them to kill someone. Months
Vanessa
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember when this movie came out and I was like, “I swear I read a book with this title years ago.” And I had, as it turns out. By the late, great spooky mystery lite YA author, Lois Duncan. But this wasn’t just a book I had read this one time; we read excerpts from many of Duncan’s books to each other at slumber parties (with lights out and flashlights under our chins, you know, that whole deal.)

Flash forward to now: and no one has told me a ghost story involving a Lover’s Lane hook hand
Misty's Book Space
2.5 Stars

I came across this book sometime last year at a library book sale. I didn't know this was a book. I watched the movie a long time ago and I've watched it several times since then. When I saw this at my local library I decided to get it because I actually really liked the movie and I assumed I would enjoy the book just as much if not more. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for this book.

As I mentioned above I watched the movie long before I ever read the book so its possible that if I
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Holy dated book, Batman.

I grew up on Lois Duncan, the go to YA thriller writer in the 1970s. I might have even given I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER five stars back then. Technology makes many books of my generation either period pieces or irrelevant. Teens today have never had to search for a dime for a payphone, what having an unlisted phone number means or not knowing who’s calling when you answer the phone.

Some editor had a not-so-brilliant idea to update I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER by
ChunderHog
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
!!WARNING THIS WARNING CONTAINS A SPOILER THAT THIS BOOK WAS MADE INTO A MOVIE.!!

Hopefully you didn't just read that. For those of you who were smart enough to skip that spoiler you can now read in confidence knowing that you will not be told that the book was made into a movie. You will live in happy naivety thinking that the book is a self-contained form of media in which this narrative lives. Unfortunately, you will be wrong.

Since I have neither read the book, nor seen the movie. I can safely
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I've found that I love Lois Duncan's writing style, her stories, and her hidden layers, but this one fell a bit short. It's ironic since out of the stories I've read of hers, this is inferior, but it's the most popular because of the movie.

The film, by the way, is much different. We don't get a hand hook killer tracking down the teenagers. Here it's a mini mystery. The ending is rather simple and cheesy. Backstory is depressing, you feel for the victim and the consequences. I liked the main
Rottgrl88

This was the classic 90's horror genre. It had all the key players with the overused plot line. A group of popular kids do something bad and/or get into trouble and they do something worse to try to hide their original mistake thinking that they are better then everyone and can get away with it. Of course, it comes to bite them in the butt in the end. This was alright for what it was. It wasn't great but it kept me entertained for a moment. It was just ok.
Fiona MacDonald
As such a big fan of the film when I was younger, I was embarassed to find out that there was a book that had slipped by my radar.
When I started, initially it appeared quite similar, but soon after I realised it was utterly different. Added to which, the book itself was written in the 70s and set around that time, making the 1997 movie completely out of range. The characters have more depth, but equally are nothing like they are portrayed in the film. The deaths are different, everything is
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
2.0 Stars
I really disliked this classic young adult novel. The plot was predictable and the characters were incredibly annoying. Apparently, teenagers are more concerned with “who likes who” rather than figuring out who is trying to kill them.
Karschtl
Four kids drive home after a high-school-party, everyone - including the driver - a bit intoxicated and tipsy. Then happens what always happens in such situations: an accident on a dark road. They knocked over a young boy, riding with his bicycle. For fear of the police they don't administer first aid but instead do a hit-and-run.

One year later - they've almost forgotten the incident - they're reminded of it via mysterious letters. Someone outside of their circle seems to know their dark secret.
Dez Nemec
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2018
I didn't even know the movie was based on a book until the author died a couple years ago. While it is technically a YA novel, it doesn't read as one. What I mean is, the language isn't juvenile and it didn't want me to tear my hair out like the last YA I tried to read. It's a quick story, with solid characters. My main problem is having seen the movie multiple times, I couldn't help but see Buffy as Helen and Jennifer Love Huge-Tits as Julie. Otherwise, I actually really enjoyed this. A perfect ...more
Bethany Ainsworth
I got this book because of the movie that I never watched. It seemed interesting, but reading the book made me feel so bored, I was positive that I would've actually turned into a board. That's how boring this book is.
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a child, gun violence, blood, violence, mental health, romantic relationship between a high school girl and an "older boy" who's older enough that he's done a tour of Iraq (I'm assuming it was Vietnam in the original) and has been discharged.

I honestly can't remember if I read this book as a teenager, but I definitely saw the movie and it scared the pants off me. I rewatched the movie tonight after finishing the book, and this is one of the rare occasions where the
Bri
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Lois Duncan’s books but this one was...eh. All the MCs were like caricatures of soap opera characters, which was annoying af and I found myself not really rooting for any of them. And the misogyny...whew. It was too much. I know this book was originally written/published in the 70s, but Duncan didn’t change much with the reprint.

I also found the ending to be super abrupt. It made no sense.
Vicki
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember a movie by the same title but I never saw it so I’m not sure if it was based on this book.

Four friends, Julie James, Barry Cox, Helen Rivers, and Ray Bronson. go out and drink and smoke pot and a tragic accident occurs. The whole story is based on the guilt (or not) that they live with.

One day one of the four gets a note that is indicative that someone MIGHT have witnessed the tragedy. There’s a lot of suspense surrounding the note and whether it’s a prank or not.

I think its
Trisha
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this guilty pleasure read. I thought it was different from the movie,but then again I couldn't really remember the movie. I think I was just in the mood for some mystery and silly suspense.
Aly
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019
It was weird reading this, having seen the movie years ago and now I'm comparing the book to it and it's kind of a let down. I wanted it to be much scarier and more intense, but it was kind of cheesy and didn't have hardly any lead up to meeting the person who wants revenge. This did come out 40 years ago, so the idea of what was considered scary was different, but I hoped for more. I think this version was updated though, because it talked about cell phones and I'm pretty sure people didn't ...more
Thomas Schneider
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
Yeah this is one of the few times I will say the movie is wayyyy better than the book
Amy Y.
Mar 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
"I Know What You Did Last Summer" is about these 4 teenagers named Barry, Julie, Ray and Helen had all coped with one little secret they had tragically kept for their whole summer. As things began to clear up, Julie recieves a threatning message... Immediately, Julie knew that someone has figured out her secret, a deadly secret. Julie and her friends undergo obstacles to find the messenger and put a end to their nightmares. They need to outsmart the killer before all of them dies before they ...more
Audrey Maran
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I grabbed this at a used bookstore on a whim because I had no clue the movie was based on a book. In my experience, horror stories do not transfer well to film sometimes, so I thought I would see if the book is any good. It is actually worse than the movie. Didn't think that was possible? Then be prepared to have your mind blown, because it is. Least likable characters of all time. Sometimes, an author does that purposely, and I love that. In this case, I don't think it was deliberate. On top of ...more
Susan Mackie Powers
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was not at all impressed with this book. The movie was cheesy, but fun, but the book was just silly. For one thing, none of the characters were likable; they just seemed like stereotypes of the different cliques we all knew in high school: the beauty, the jock, the brain, and the nice guy. The four main characters were out partying and driving too fast, when a little boy on a bike suddenly appeared in the road ahead of them. They hit the boy, and kept right on driving to save their own necks. ...more
Goodreads Librari...: I Know What You Did Last Summer COVER 6 16 Dec 27, 2019 04:17AM
Hopeful Wanderers: I Know What You Did Last Summer 2 4 Nov 21, 2014 10:20PM
goodreads 1 1 6 Apr 10, 2014 05:36AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan 3 6 Jun 21, 2013 05:31AM

• Slumber Party
  • The Confession (Fear Street, #38)
  • I Saw You That Night!
  • The Thrill Club (Fear Street, #24)
  • The Eternal Enemy
  • The Silent Scream (Nightmare Hall, #1)
  • Are You in the House Alone?
  • I'll Be Seeing You
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Party Games (Fear Street Relaunch, #1)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • Silent Night (Silent Night, #1: Fear Street Super Chillers, #2)
  • Diomedes hästar
  • The Cretan Bull: A Short Story
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • Black Lightning
  • The Other Side of Dark
Lois Duncan (born Lois Duncan Steinmetz) was an American writer and novelist, known primarily for her books for children and young adults, in particular (and some times controversially considering her young readership) crime thrillers. Duncan's parents were the noted magazine photographers Lois Steinmetz and Joseph Janney Steinmetz. She was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but grew up in ...more
“aloud she said why not you ray you were involed in this as much as the resst of uswhy is it that bud never tried to do anything to you ?his armed tighted around her.'he knew the worst thing for me was a world without you” 14 likes
“she thought ray i'll never see ray again there was a time she looked into those green eyes and said i love you so long ago he'll never know i still do” 8 likes