Start by marking “Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)” as Want to Read:
Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)

Poirot Investigates

(Hercule Poirot #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  38,681 ratings  ·  1,389 reviews
The very first collection of superb short stories featuring Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings…

First there was the mystery of the film star and the diamond… then came the ‘suicide’ that was murder… the mystery of the absurdly cheap flat… a suspicious death in a locked gun-room… a million dollar bond robbery… the curse of a pharaoh’s tomb… a jewel robbery by the sea… the
Published 2001 by Harper (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Poirot Investigates, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ray Ellis Poirot stories are set contemporary to when they were written. All of these stories first appeared in The Sketch magazine in 1923. So although this…morePoirot stories are set contemporary to when they were written. All of these stories first appeared in The Sketch magazine in 1923. So although this was the third book in print, it is really the second chronologically, between Styles and Links. After Styles, Poirot settled in London and (Watson-like) Hastings moved in with him. All these stories are set during that era. Then in Links, Hastings moves away.(less)

·  38,681 ratings  ·  1,389 reviews

Start your review of Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
Ysh
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A summary of every Poirot book where Hastings is the sidekick:

description
Jaline
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-completed
This is a collection of Hercule Poirot short stories – eleven of them altogether, and each case more deviously clever than the last.

I am not a huge fan of short stories, in general, because I like longer, more involved stories where I can explore the surroundings and the characters in more depth. I am also a big fan of plots that include sub-plots, and short stories don’t have the space for most of those ‘extras’.

However, I must add that Agatha Christie writes short stories very, very well. The
Evgeny
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I mean, imagine how some unfortunate Master Criminal would feel, on coming down to do a murder at the old Grange, if he found that not only was Sherlock Holmes putting in the weekend there, but Hercule Poirot, as well."
P.G. Wodehouse

This is a collection of short stories featuring world's best detective #2 and his clueless sidekick. My edition has 14 stories total. In them Hercule Poirot get to investigate murders, kidnappings, thefts, and other related crimes.
Poirot

Even in the short form of her
Adrian
Well, I had to wait for this book to arrive, as I unexpectedly found that I didn't have it, what ??? So I am a little, oh ok 2 months, behind everyone else who is doing the Poirot unofficial challenge, but as you can tell from my 4 star marking, i am really enjoying this challenge. If i'm honest I didn't realise how many Poirot's I had not read.

So this was a book of short stories published in"The Sketch" through 1923 and although they are not all excellent (some are better than others) they are
Vikas Singh
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-book
A collection of eleven short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. because of the short story format there are too many coincidences, loose ends and often a boring end. None of the stories hold your attention for long. Avoidable read
Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting collection of Poirot stories; first published in 1924 and all of which feature Hastings as narrator. Hastings often comments on how conceited Poirot is, although this is justified, as Poirot uses his ‘little grey cells,’ to solve many mysteries and even wins a bet with Japp, during this book.

The stories involve missing jewels, blackmail, mysterious insurance claims, the even more intriguing case of a ‘very cheap flat,’ in an expensive part of London (unheard of!) which
Katie Lumsden
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these. Poirot is a hilarious character as always, and the mysteries are good fun.
Jason Koivu
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon ami, ce sont des histoires agréables!

Lovely stuff this! Poirot Investigates is a nice, compact selection of stories about cases quickly and concisely solved. No, not every story is a mind-boggler, though one or two went clear over my head, but for the most part I could follow these. Occasionally I even solved the crime well in advance of Poirot. I'm no heavy reader of mysteries, so I attribute this to the age of the stories and the modern-day prevalence on TV for such things. By now we can't
Lianne - Literary Diversions
This was the tightest-written, most well-plotted little collection of short stories. Only one out of 11 felt the tiniest bit flat. I cared about the characters, I cared about the solutions and I will definitely read this again.
Obsidian
I really thought this stories as a whole were way too short to get that engrossed in. I found most of them to be merely okay. There was only one that I thought was good. I did have to give it 3 stars though since we have Hastings as our narrator for all of the stories. I do miss Hastings when he is not present in Poirot books. Poirot solo is beyond aggravating. He needs Hastings there to blunder along to be superior to to show off his gray cells.

"The Adventure of the Western Star" (3
Emma
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, crime
I’m quite new to reading Agatha Christie but the few full novels I have read have been thoroughly enjoyable. This volume...not so much. Something about this collection of short stories just got on my nerves. I guess in the novels, Poirot is more diluted, his vanity and disregard for Hastings’ brain power is less in-your-face..what saved it from 2 stars was that David Suchet narrated. Even that was double edged as his female voice was terrible! My advice: skip this volume and move right along!
Laura • lauralovestoread
Poirot Investigates just so happened to be my very first book by Agatha Christie. I know.. shameful ha. I liked the narrator for this book, as I listened to it on audiobook, but I would have enjoyed a longer book than a few short stories. I understand now that Agatha Christie used this book to really illustrate who Poirot was, so now I’m ready to read my next book by her, and pick a longer one next time!
Sammy
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Someone once said that if you only read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novels, and only read Christie’s short stories, you’d think they were both bad writers. Well, it’s emphatically true of Conan Doyle, and I think it’s at least partly true for Dame Agatha as well.

Christie’s first collection of short stories united eleven Poirot and Hastings tales first published in The Sketch magazine in 1923. This is the first incarnation of Poirot: a respected detective, certainly, but one who struggles just as
Cyndi
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories. Although each story is complete I still wished for more. (I’m greedy that way ) But they are good little mysteries. And, the best part is that I finally figured one out before Poirot revealed the answer! Yay me! Granted, Poirot said it was so easy he was surprised Col. Hastings didn’t figure it out by himself. But I’m still going to count it. ...more
Nasia
Not my favourite Agatha Christie book, but it's ok to pass the time.
Eva
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie is comfortfood for my booksoul. I love her mysteries: they are very well written, filled with intriguing characters and most of the time contain a very good plot. It is rare for me to guess who did it. I enjoy reading about Poirot or Miss Marple.

This book contains 11 short stories. Some good, some mediocre and some great.
- The adventure of the westerns star -5
- The tragedy at Marsdon Manor - 3
- The adventure of the cheap flat - 2
- The mystery of Hunter's Lodge - 3
- The million
Paula
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is definitely the best (and the funniest) of the three Christie short story collections I've read so far, but I still can't quite bring myself to give it full four stars, I just don't love her short stories as much as her novels.
David Schaafsma
The third volume in the collection of Christie's Poirot series, a collection of short stories, better than most mystery collections, I would have to assume, having been written by the best selling author of all time. Still, I had a hard time getting into them, in part because they are stories, and sort of for me pale in comparison to the novels from her I have read.

My biggest problem is the clueless sidekick Hastings she devised in part out of her in part mimicking Doyle's Holmes and Watson
Alaina
Update: I'm going to write a better review on this book.

Poirot Investigates is a short story collection written by Agatha Christie. Within these eleven marvelous stories, Hercules Poirot solves a variety of mysteries involving greed, jealousy, and revenge. Now who's ready for some spoilers on these novellas? It better be you.

Fair warning, I'm not going to to over all eleven novellas - just a few.

The Adventure of the Western Star:
(view spoiler)
Carolyn F.
Audiobook - average rating is 3.77 stars

1. The Adventure of The Western Star. I'm almost positive this was a Poirot Presents on PBS because I knew the story as soon as it started. Great story. 4 stars.

2. The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor. A really sad story about how a man was used and then murdered. 4 stars

3. The Adventure of The Cheap Flat. This one was a little confusing to me. Why mention the cheap flat with all the furniture? 3 stars.

4. The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge. Another story showing
Erth
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First time reader of this author and now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative series. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this series.
Thomas Strömquist
This first batch of Poirot shorts was not a great reading experience. All in all 4 or 5 decent stories (The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb, The Lost Mine and The Case of the Missing Will all give the few glimpses there are of character development while The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan and The Disappearance of Mr Davenheim are classical mysteries.) These are accompanied by 9-10 pretty bland and different shades of improbable ones. Very elaborate plans are often laid bare thanks to ...more
Moonlight Reader
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I'm rereading Christie in publication order. I'm not sure I will read all of the short story collections, but I saw this one at Powell's for cheap when I was there with OB, so I grabbed it.

Overall, this is a satisfying collection of short stories starring Poirot, and narrated by Hastings. The compilation was published in 1924, after Murder on the Links. The Man in the Brown Suit was also published in 1924.

This was a first read for me, although I have previously read at least a few of the
Catie
One or two exceptional short stories, most of the others are okay. Enjoyable and quick read, but I definitely enjoy the full length Poirot novels better than this short story collection.
Shauna
A mixed bag of short stories featuring Poirot and Captain Hastings. These were written early on in Christie's career and although entertaining, they became a little repetitive. I much prefer the full-length novels.
James
My first anthology of the year, and my first Christie or Poirot anthology. It also marks the start of a run of four anthologies in my reading list. Anthologies are a difficult thing to get right. Apart from the need to manage the theme of the anthology, there's nearly always a couple of weaker stories in the mix. Somehow a weaker story in an anthology is that much more noticeable than a weaker chapter in a novel. This collection, Poirot Investigates , represents the first collection of ...more
Farhana
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
As usually happens with short story collections, only a few of them are worth enjoying among the whole package. Just a couple of stories (for me: The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge, The Kidnapped Prime Minister, The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim, Chocolate Box) left their marks, the rest being kind of messy, and less graceful. Obviously, Cristie was taking her time to build the character of Monsier Poirot. Poirot is, unarguably, more egoist (boasts of his grey cells every now and then :p ), and ...more
Karen Foster
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this as an audiobook.
Not only does Daivd Suchet (narrator) capture Hercule so wonderfully, he also adds so much to the other characters in these mysteries. You could not ask for a more perfect actor to tell Christie's stories.
I love Dame Agatha's characters, and particularly Captain Hastings and Poirot together. Just makes me smile :)....
Sara
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Realy love hercule poirot, and some of the story's i realy liked the plot and and others not so much, but i adore everything about poirot especialy his detective skills , love to read some more of my favourite detective of all time.
Charlotte Smith
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice little book of short stories and like the rest keep you guessing right to the last page.

• His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin #1)
  • Absent in the Spring
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Black Coffee
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)
“One must have consideration for those less gifted than oneself.” 5 likes
“« [...] É il cervello, le piccole cellule grigie» si batté una mano sulla fronte, «la cosa su cui bisogna basarsi. I sensi inducono in errore. Bisogna cercare la verità dal di dentro, non dal di fuori.»” 3 likes