Start by marking “Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot #3)” as Want to Read:
Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot #3)

Poirot Investigates

(Hercule Poirot #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  48,781 ratings  ·  2,088 reviews
Librarian's note: this entry is for the collection of stories, "Poirot Investigates." Entries for the individual short stories can be found elsewhere.

The very first collection of superb short stories featuring Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings.

First there was the mystery of the film star and the diamond… then came the ‘suicide’ that was murder… the mystery of the absurdl
Published 2001 by Harper (first published March 1st 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Poirot Investigates, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Hasselhh It is hard to say, as Hastings does not give dates or years - unlike Watson - but they must all take place between 1916 (the mysterious affair of styl…moreIt is hard to say, as Hastings does not give dates or years - unlike Watson - but they must all take place between 1916 (the mysterious affair of styles) and 1923, when Hastings moves to Argentina (he moves back in 1932).

Hope this helps :) (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  48,781 ratings  ·  2,088 reviews

Start your review of Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot #3)
Ysh
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A summary of every Poirot book where Hastings is the sidekick:

description
Ahmad Sharabiani
Poirot Investigates (Hercules Poirot, #3), Agatha Christie

A collection of eight stories from the adventures of Hercule Poirot.

The stories are:
The Adventure of "The Western Star",
Adventure of the Cheap Flat,
The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb,
The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan,
The Kidnapped Prime Minister,
The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim,
The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman,
and The Case of the Missing Will.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1997میلادی

مجموعه هشت داستان از ماجراهای هرکول پوارو است
Jaline
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-completed
This is a collection of Hercule Poirot short stories – eleven of them altogether, and each case more deviously clever than the last.

I am not a huge fan of short stories, in general, because I like longer, more involved stories where I can explore the surroundings and the characters in more depth. I am also a big fan of plots that include sub-plots, and short stories don’t have the space for most of those ‘extras’.

However, I must add that Agatha Christie writes short stories very, very well. The
Julie
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie is a 2001 Harper publication- originally published in 1925

A clever and lively group of eleven short stories by Agatha Christie, featuring Hercule Poirot!

Short stories are a hard sell for me, normally, but this book was a perfect fit for me right now. The stories in this collection are very short and I could read one or two a night a feel a sense of accomplishment.

Not only that, the mysteries were so entertaining and fun I felt my mood lightening with eac
Evgeny
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I mean, imagine how some unfortunate Master Criminal would feel, on coming down to do a murder at the old Grange, if he found that not only was Sherlock Holmes putting in the weekend there, but Hercule Poirot, as well."
P.G. Wodehouse

This is a collection of short stories featuring world's best detective #2 and his clueless sidekick. My edition has 14 stories total. In them Hercule Poirot get to investigate murders, kidnappings, thefts, and other related crimes.
Poirot

Even in the short form of her myst
Brina
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
One of the few positives of 2020 was that I turned to Dame Agatha Christie to keep me from falling into a number of reading slumps. By year’s end I had read an average of one book a month although many of them came in the second half of the year when I had hit the proverbial wall. After going through my reading, I noticed that I still had a number of Poirot cases to left and decided to continue reading about my favorite Belgian detective in chronological order until I got through all of this cas ...more
Adrian
Well, I had to wait for this book to arrive, as I unexpectedly found that I didn't have it, what ??? So I am a little, oh ok 2 months, behind everyone else who is doing the Poirot unofficial challenge, but as you can tell from my 4 star marking, i am really enjoying this challenge. If i'm honest I didn't realise how many Poirot's I had not read.

So this was a book of short stories published in"The Sketch" through 1923 and although they are not all excellent (some are better than others) they are
Vikas Singh
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-book
A collection of eleven short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. because of the short story format there are too many coincidences, loose ends and often a boring end. None of the stories hold your attention for long. Avoidable read
Jason Koivu
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon ami, ce sont des histoires agréables!

Lovely stuff this! Poirot Investigates is a nice, compact selection of stories about cases quickly and concisely solved. No, not every story is a mind-boggler, though one or two went clear over my head, but for the most part I could follow these. Occasionally I even solved the crime well in advance of Poirot. I'm no heavy reader of mysteries, so I attribute this to the age of the stories and the modern-day prevalence on TV for such things. By now we can't
Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting collection of Poirot stories; first published in 1924 and all of which feature Hastings as narrator. Hastings often comments on how conceited Poirot is, although this is justified, as Poirot uses his ‘little grey cells,’ to solve many mysteries and even wins a bet with Japp, during this book.

The stories involve missing jewels, blackmail, mysterious insurance claims, the even more intriguing case of a ‘very cheap flat,’ in an expensive part of London (unheard of!) which pi
Katie Lumsden
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these. Poirot is a hilarious character as always, and the mysteries are good fun.
Dave Schaafsma
The third volume in the collection of Christie's Poirot series, a collection of short stories, better than most mystery collections, I would have to assume, having been written by the best-selling author of all time. Still, I had a hard time getting into them, in part because they are stories, and sort of for me pale in comparison to the novels from her I have read.

My biggest problem (yes, this continues for me as a problem) is the clueless sidekick Hastings she devised in part out of her mimic
Juli
Poirot Investigates is a collection of short stories featuring the Belgian detective and his powerful, little grey cells. First printed in the UK in 1925, the book included 11 stories. The US edition added three additional stories. I read a US edition from 1970.

These first few Poirot short stories were written in 1922 while Christie was on an around the world tour to publicize the British Empire Exposition. The stories in Poirot Investigates plus 11 more were published in a collection, The Early
Wanda
I am not usually a fan of short stories, but I really enjoyed this collection of Hercule Poirot tales. They were published early in Dame Agatha's writing career and help us to get to know both M. Poirot and Captain Hastings. We get a good idea of their respective strengths and weaknesses and of the chemistry of their friendship.

These stories are Christie's laboratory where we can enjoy her experimenting with the detective & mystery tropes. She was obviously a student of Arthur Conan Doyle. Poiro
Obsidian
I really thought this stories as a whole were way too short to get that engrossed in. I found most of them to be merely okay. There was only one that I thought was good. I did have to give it 3 stars though since we have Hastings as our narrator for all of the stories. I do miss Hastings when he is not present in Poirot books. Poirot solo is beyond aggravating. He needs Hastings there to blunder along to be superior to to show off his gray cells.

"The Adventure of the Western Star" (3 stars)-Poi
Lianne - Literary Diversions
This was the tightest-written, most well-plotted little collection of short stories. Only one out of 11 felt the tiniest bit flat. I cared about the characters, I cared about the solutions and I will definitely read this again.
Kat
May 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poirot Investigates contains 11 short stories each with a different kind of mystery to be solved!
There were some which I enjoyed more since they had more intrigue and a more clever resolution than others but on the whole it's a good addition to the Hercule Poirot series!
Emma
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, crime
I’m quite new to reading Agatha Christie but the few full novels I have read have been thoroughly enjoyable. This volume...not so much. Something about this collection of short stories just got on my nerves. I guess in the novels, Poirot is more diluted, his vanity and disregard for Hastings’ brain power is less in-your-face..what saved it from 2 stars was that David Suchet narrated. Even that was double edged as his female voice was terrible! My advice: skip this volume and move right along!
Lauren
1.5 STARS

It pains me to give an Agatha Christie book this low of a rating. If I am being honest, my lack of enjoyment of this book is mostly my fault. I had no idea it was a collection of short stories till around halfway through the second story. I was listening to it as an audiobook (like I usually do with her books) and so I don't know how but I just did not realise until I started to become very confused. I think it would have been best if physically read this. I just couldn't concentrate an
Hamad
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-reads, e-books
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

I am trying to follow the publishing order now when it comes to Agatha books. I knew I wouldn't enjoy this book very much because those short stories don't usually work for me. I think Poirot's magic works better in full novel format because it would give us more time to connect to the story and the characters and also try to solve it by ourselves but unfortunately it wasn't the case here. I think those 14 short stories would vanish from my mind by the end of the weekend.
Laura • lauralovestoread
Poirot Investigates just so happened to be my very first book by Agatha Christie. I know.. shameful ha. I liked the narrator for this book, as I listened to it on audiobook, but I would have enjoyed a longer book than a few short stories. I understand now that Agatha Christie used this book to really illustrate who Poirot was, so now I’m ready to read my next book by her, and pick a longer one next time!
Cyndi
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories. Although each story is complete I still wished for more. (I’m greedy that way 🤷🏼‍♀️) But they are good little mysteries. And, the best part is that I finally figured one out before Poirot revealed the answer! Yay me! Granted, Poirot said it was so easy he was surprised Col. Hastings didn’t figure it out by himself. But I’m still going to count it. 🧐
John
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
Eleven short stories. Several of them have been made into Poirot episodes on television. Some were clever others were entertaining. The Western Star about two diamonds and a curse. Marsdon Manor an apparent hemorrhage and death leaves a young widow a large insurance policy payout until Poirot comes along.

The cheap flat entered into espionage and mafia vendettas. The mystery of hunters lodge is all about sleight of hand and disguise.

The million dollar bond robbery was clever. The adventure of t
Erth
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First time reader of this author and now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative series. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this series.
Eva
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie is comfortfood for my booksoul. I love her mysteries: they are very well written, filled with intriguing characters and most of the time contain a very good plot. It is rare for me to guess who did it. I enjoy reading about Poirot or Miss Marple.

This book contains 11 short stories. Some good, some mediocre and some great.
- The adventure of the westerns star -5
- The tragedy at Marsdon Manor - 3
- The adventure of the cheap flat - 2
- The mystery of Hunter's Lodge - 3
- The million d
Stephanie Anze
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hercule Poirot is back on the case for the first collection of short stories featuring the detective. Captain Hastings is with the famed detective when he receives callers that wish to contract his services. From senior members of government to young ladies seeking to right a wrong, Poirot receives a myriad of visitors at his flat. Dealing with deceit and blackmail to stolen jewels and missing wills, Poirot has no shortage of cases in which to employ his little grey cells.

I am an avid Agatha Chr
Paula
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is definitely the best (and the funniest) of the three Christie short story collections I've read so far, but I still can't quite bring myself to give it full four stars, I just don't love her short stories as much as her novels. ...more
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Eleven short stories, I think none of them longer than 20 pages, all narrated in the first person by Captain Hastings. We almost never watch any episodes, but we do have a set of DVDs. We had not watched any for nearly a year, but did choose to watch some just last month. As luck would have it, two of the episodes were stories in this collection! I do not like to have another's interpretation of a novel or story in my mind when I read. It's impossible to not picture David Suchet as Poirot, of co ...more
Nasia
Not my favourite Agatha Christie book, but it's ok to pass the time. ...more
J. Wootton
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Pleasant and enjoyable collection of cozy armchair mysteries. Initially feels heavily Sherlock Holmes-derivative, but establishes itself as slightly more unique as the collection progresses and the stories lengthen. A fair introduction to Poirot, although I didn't realize when I picked it up that it was a short-story collection and not a novel.

This was my first Christie; it didn't bowl me over, but I do think of her as a novelist rather than a short-story writer, so I'll get hold of some longer

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1)
  • Absent in the Spring
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
See top shelves…

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)