Start by marking “Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Love Poems

Love Poems

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,323 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Twenty-five poems celebrating the sensual frontiers of Sexton's time.
Published October 1st 1999 by Mariner Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems

Ahmad Sharabiani
Love Poems, Anne Sexton
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دهم دسامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: عشق دیوانگی و مرگ ؛ عاشقانه های آن سکستون؛ شاعر: آن سکستون؛ مترجم: طیبه شنبه زاده؛ تهران، سرزمین اهورایی؛ 1393؛ در 67 ص؛ شابک: 9786006792248؛ موضوع: شعرهای عاشقانه آن سکستون - قرن 20 م
از شعرهای کتاب با عنوان: ما

ما در بدنهای شخصیمان بودیم
(همان اتاقی
Alexis
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love this book of poems (and have for many years) because of one poem it contains which has a grace and beauty and truth that I recognize and admire and that breaks my heart each time I really think about it. I hope that despite a messy (if only for its failure to be epic or stormy or contented and sweet) past love-life I will never know the pain that the the speaker of this poem knows. I hope that this poem, if nothing else, will remind me to secure my heart from loving men such as these, reg ...more
Matthew
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Everyone in me is a bird.
I am beating my wings.
They wanted to cut you out
but they will not.
They said you were immeasurably empty
bu you are not.
They said you were sick unto dying
but they were wrong.
You are winging like a school girl.
You are not torn.

Sweet weight,
in celebration of the woman I am
and of the soul of the woman I am
and of the central creature and its delight
I ding for you. I dare to live.
Hello, spirit. Hello, cup.
Fasten, cover. Cover that does contain.
Hello to the soil of the fields.
We
Ruby
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2013
3.5 Having now read three Sexton's, I find her to be a bit of a hit and miss. The only thing is, when she hits, she hits so damn hard.
Wu Shih
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Sexton, genio folle e visionario, sensuale poetessa femminea, attrice sul palcoscenico della vita, crea poesie che non possono lasciare indifferenti.

Maestra dello stile cosìdetto "confessionale", come Lowell o la Plath, esibisce i suoi demoni, le sue fragilità, i suoi ruggiti, le sua sensibilità ferita, la sua carica sensuale e anticonformista, lo stile selvaggio e dissacrante.

NEL PROFONDO MUSEO

Dio, Dio mio, in che angolo strano mi sono cacciata?
Sono morta o no? Il sangue che scorre dal pal
Bert
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raw and classy in a way that only a whiskey-drinking middle-aged woman can be.
Magda
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sexton lovers, hopeless romantics, hopeful romantics who wish to become hopeless
Shelves: indispensable
One of my favorites. Knife-twisting in your inside-feeling parts. Completely necessary. If I had enough skin I would have "Eighteen Days Without You" tattooed somewhere.
Brendan
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of mentions of birds, animals, flowers, and the weather, but for the most part sticking to the subject promised.

About a third of the collection is comprised of the long poem, "Eighteen Days Without You". "December 4th", "December 15th", and "December 18th" are the best sections, methinks.

Other poems worth noting:

"The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator"
"Barefoot"
"Mr. Mine'

She is the sum of yourself and your dream.
Climb her like a monument, step after step.
She is solid.

As for me, I am water
Isaac Timm
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2017
I'm very glad I own this collection and can unwrap these poems over multiple reads. Each poem is multi-layered, dispair and deep sensuality wove together by sharp imagery and well constructed metaphors. Goodreads doesn't list the edition I own: 2 Printing Hardcovered book printed in 1969
Rachele
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

I fully understand that this is Anne Sexton the legend and that she won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry but this just did not do it for me. II picked this up at the thrift store and I probably never would have read it anyway but it was short so I gave it a shot and I really had a hard time getting through it.

It was really gritty but overly so, kind of a dark love poetry I guess, but had long bumbling metaphors that I didn't connect with and didnt make much sense at all.

As a result, this 67 page
Dana Jerman
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a lovely little collection. Engaging. Examines desire in a very beautifully sexual, yet sexually understated way.
Stephanie Hempel
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a skilled poet. I've read this over and over again
Daphne Austin
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading all of Anne's poetry books (I've technically got The Complete Poems but since aside from The Book of Folly's short stories it really is a complete collection of her work I decided to split it up). Imo Anne only got stronger with each book in her capacity to literally transcribe emotion into words. I'm not a poet at all (though my high school era notebooks show evidence of me certainly TRYING to be one) but when I read these poems I feel like I know the depths and emotional definiti ...more
Amy Alice
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Poetry. I liked this set of poems by Anne Sexton, and I think it helped with the introduction, which gavea bit of context and inspiration for the poetry. It essentially arcs an affair, from the female point of view, which was very ahead of its time when released in the sixties. There's masturbation, adultery and even a small poem about the orgasmic feelings of having the back of her knee kissed. Really interesting and I can see the influence she had on Sylvia Plath.

Favourite quotes:
In Celebrat
Asma Essa
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
*نوت تو ما سيلف
كفاية محاولات مع أن سكستون ومع هذا النوع من الأشياء بشكل عام.
Jennifer Irving
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
in the grand tradition of jane austen, sylvia plath, and anais nin, I have fallne helplessly in love with suburbia once more
Matthew Metzdorf
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I read the first half. it was okay
Brandon
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eighteen Days Without You hurts the way that being apart from your lover hurts. It's excruciating and lonely, filled with remembrance and longing. I pined along with her.
Simona Friuli
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Per la prima volta mi trovo nell'impossibilità di dare un giudizio coerente - non poco incide la straordinaria personalità dell'autrice. Una raccolta di audaci poesie d'amore ondivaga: ne ho adorate alcune, e detestato la poca grazia ritmico-espressiva di altre - di certo non mi hanno mai trovata indifferente. Un far poesia che scardina ogni tabù - soprattutto per quanto riguarda corpo e sessualità femminile - e che racconta la risurrezione della carne. Non ho sempre trovato la messa in pratica ...more
Yara Mohamed
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While reading this wonderful anthology, all I thought about was how could someone write so delicately and personally about love, relationships, the body, but then it's Anne Sexton, so yeah.
Valerie
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anne Sexton was one of the first poets I really got attached to in college. I had my first access to the internet and there weren't very many websites about poets, but there was one about Anne Sexton. It included some of her poems.

I never read through a whole book of Sexton, I only read specific poems. It was great to read through a whole book.

I read about half of the poems before and loved reading them again. I liked the poems best when they weren't in form.

The poems were so full of life and f
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book of poems. I had never read Anne Sexton's work, and so I felt like this was a good place to start,

Although the title suggests lovey dovey, mushy poetry, a lot of them are quite the contrary. Her narrative tend to be very sad (particularly, "For My Lover Returning to his Wife" and "You All Know the Story of the Other Woman"). They revolve around heartbreak, and the sunken feeling that comes with having an affair with a married man. It's an interesting perspective that Se
Allison
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I think perhaps that Anne Sexton gets a little overlooked sometimes, perhaps a little overshadowed by Plath (don't get me wrong - I love Plath). But this collection of poetry is great. Sexton writes from the woman's body and does so so sensually, yet she manages to make these poems (narrative of a love affair) politically motivated. She creates a world where the difference between people can melt into a union of tenderness. Excellent collection.

From "Eighteen Days Without You"

December 11th

Then I
Lisa
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why so many love poems lately? I dunno, but I am enjoying the day trips.

From this collection, I loved "Again and Again and Again" and "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator" and "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife." I loved them even though I don't normally love graphic and explicit -- I think for their cadence and physicality and heartonsleeve-ness. For instance, from "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator":

She took you the way a woman takes
a bargain dress of the rack
and I broke the way a sto
Rachel Ann Brickner
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2009
I just could not get into this collection as much as "Live or Die" no matter how much I wanted to. Perhaps some of the poems are too ethereal for me? I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I found myself dozing off while reading some of them, while others jolted me out of my seat their use of language was so powerful and evocative. My favorites from this collection are: "The Touch", "The Breast", "That Day", "In Celebration of My Uterus", "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife", "The Break" (A bird ...more
Jun 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
The only poet to rhyme "entrails" with "cocktails"

Anne Sexton is often called a confessional poet, which makes me think of Ani DiFranco, but Sexton's voice is more ironic and reserved than the slam poetry tell-all style that followed her.

Also she uses techniques of concrete poets such as William Carlos Williams in her constant mention of everyday objects. She is not comparing herself to greek goddesses or historical figures, she is describing very closely her life as a 60's housewife, and it is
Drew
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
There are bad poets, good poets, great poets and then there is Anne Sexton slyly rising to the side, above them all. Nonchalantly subversive, her "Love Poems" is both a snub and a continuation of a literary tradition. Who else but the Bostonian bard of witchery housewifery would have thought to versify the intoxications and mortifications that accompany an extramarital affair and then throw the brilliant "Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator" into the mix for good measure? In short, no one. Peerless ...more
Emily
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been in love with the wrong person
Could Anne Sexton's poetry BE any sadder? I suppose it could, and therein lies the genius of it. It straddles the boundaries of grief and joy with brilliance. I love this book and the notion that love poems can be grim and full of adulterous desires. Anne Sexton, I wish you'd written a poem about me.
Meghan
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Oh how I wanted to like this book! And I can appreciate the artistry of it, but I cannot say I enjoyed it. So many of the poems were based in nature and broader images, and I like my love poetry to be (if not explicitly, exactly...) more specific.

Recommended to: fans of beat poetry and stream-of-consciousness thoughts, or people who enjoy reading more nature based poetry (think Mary Ruefle)
Kate
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The way Sexton approaches love makes me weak in the knees. Gorgeous, soul-rending poetry -- definitely my favorite collection, ever. I have read this through many, many times and find something new on each reading... but usually, if nothing else, Sexton reminds me to be present in love, cultivate its details, and check my analytics at the door.
  • The Wellspring
  • Searching for Mercy Street: My Journey Back to My Mother, Anne Sexton
  • All the Odes
  • Black Life
  • The Country Between Us
Anne Sexton once told a journalist that her fans thought she got better, but actually, she just became a poet. These words are characteristic of a talented poet that received therapy for years, but committed suicide in spite of this. The poetry fed her art, but it also imprisoned her in a way.

Her parents didn’t expect much of her academically, and after completing her schooling at Rogers Hall, sh
More about Anne Sexton...

“Everyone in me is a bird
I am beating all my wings”
322 likes
“Being kissed on the back
of the knee is a moth