Start by marking “Other Worlds, Better Lives: A Howard Waldrop Reader: Selected Long Fiction, 1989-2003” as Want to Read:

Collects 7 longer pieces by this aclaimed writer."
Published September 1st 2008 by Old Earth Books

To ask other readers questions about Other Worlds, Better Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Worlds, Better Lives

Pamela
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Howard Waldrop is an American short story writer who deserves a much larger audience than he has. My review of his new short fiction collection is up at the SciFi.com site, here.
Tim Schneider
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of Waldrops longer works from 89-03. I actually read about half of this book because I'd read two or three of the stories herein in different collections. Waldrop is a master of the short form and he never writes down to his readers. I discovered his work in the last ten years or so. I really can only imagine reading it before the internet became a constant presence and allowed easy research. I'm quite well-read, but Waldrop will still stump me with historic and cultural knowledge a ...more
Karl
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really like this author, but sadly, these stories did not resonate with me. I got the impression that a lot of this work was the author’s tribute to sci-fi and personal influences from his life.
Patrick DiJusto
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
How have I remained ignorant of Howard Waldrop's work????? This man is a masterful storyteller, with a wild imagination that creates stories worth telling.

With the exception of the first story, which is a retelling of the 12 labors of Hercules, set in 1930's Mississippi, the stories are mostly fanciful alternate histories. What if Thomas Wolfe had survived his brain operation and lived to join the Technocracy political movement, helping it enough to win the Presidency of the US in 1940? (That st
Adam
Waldrop’s best reissue collection yet. From the Greek myths gone southern gothic in “A Dozen Tough Jobs” to the Francophile steampunk of “Fin De Cycle”, these stories are filled with wild humor and bizarre factoids.
Trish Graboske
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As one reviewer says, "set out as a dare to the reading public", Waldrop's work is always challenging, and entertaining when you get it. You just never know what you're going to get, so hang on for the ride.
Ron
Decent collection of Waldrop's longer stories.
DMS
Aug 16, 2009 added it
Recommended to DMS by: Jake
Benjamin
Another excellent collection of short stories by the estimable Howard Waldrop. This man is truly a master of the short form.
Dnxn
Gavin Grant
Mar 12, 2015
Lord Humungus
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
mostly reprints, couple of superb alt. history gems
John
John
Aug 26, 2015
Brian L.
Nov 12, 2016
Howard Waldrop is a science fiction author who works primarily in short fiction. Waldrop's stories combine elements such as alternate history, American popular culture, the American South, old movies, classical mythology, and rock 'n' roll music.