Start by marking “Matters of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Matters of the Heart

Matters of the Heart

A classic love story about manners, men and modern romance retold by bestselling Australian author, Fiona Palmer

Western Australia, 2019: The Bennets are a farming family struggling to make ends meet. Lizzy, passionate about working the land, is determined to save the farm. Spirited and independent, she has little patience for her mother's focus on finding a suitable man

Published August 27th 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about Matters of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matters of the Heart

Brenda
Lizzy Bennet had been handed the reins to the family farm some years previously and although they’d struggled, Lizzy was making headway. She was a hard worker, loved the farm and her sheep dog Pippa. It was her life’s dream. Her father John, mother Margaret and sisters Jane, Mary, Lydia and Kitty formed the tight-knit family unit which was filled with love and caring.

When the farm adjoining the Bennet land was purchased by the wealthy Charles Bingley, lives were set to change. The residents of
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
“AS A BIG FAN OF JANE AUSTEN’S Pride and Prejudice AND ALL its retellings I’ve been thinking about this Australian version for many years.”

Fiona Palmer, Acknowledgements, Matters of the Heart

As a big fan of Jane Austen’s works, with my favourite novel of her famous collection being Pride and Prejudice, I was ecstatic to see one of Australia’s foremost rural romance novelists tackle a recreation of this beloved classic. Fiona Palmer has put her own u
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’ has been the subject of numerous retellings, especially of late, and to be honest, I was a little hesitant about selecting this for review. As it happens, my doubts were unfounded, Matters of the Heart by Fiona Palmer is a charming, delightful and thoroughly enjoyable adaption of the classic romance novel.

The story of Matters of the Heart doesn’t stray far from the original plot of ‘Pride and Prejudice, but it is effectively translated into a modern tale, expl
Theresa Smith
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romance and rural fiction are two genres I tend to avoid; when they are combined, I am even less inclined to read it. However, I do like Pride and Prejudice and this book has popped up in my review feed several times already and it was only just released! One of the reviews was by a blogger who tends to avoid romance as much as I do, so I decided to have a little faith, trust and pixie dust, and give it a go. My body still feels tired from a recent illness so something light and refreshing for m ...more
Helen
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness this is such an awesome story, a fabulous re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, firstly I have never read the original but I have seen one of the movies, so I have an idea of what it is about, MS Palmer has bought this one to life on a farm in Western Australia, with very handsome gentlemen and the wonderful Bennet family, make yourself comfy for this one and join in the journey to love and happiness.

Lizzy Bennet has taken over the running of the family farm, it has been a struggle b
Helen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Jane Austen fan, with Pride & Prejudice at the top of my list. I have read many, and I mean many, adaptations - some hit ... some miss. I was so excited to see what Fiona’s Aussie version would be like and I went in with high expectations. I am happy to report that this book totally hit the mark for me! I absolutely loved it and believe Fiona would have truly made Jane Austen proud!

"But the image of his face remained with her and she couldn't figure out why it had disturbed her.
Jessica M
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Matters of the Heart by Fiona Palmer is a modern-day retelling of Pride and Prejudice, set in farmlands in rural Western Australia.

Lizzy Bennet’s family have owned and run Longbourn for decades, and they’re not about to let a few rough years of drought force them to sell up and leave the town.

Charles Bingley, his sister Caroline Bingley, and his best friend Will Darcy soon arrive to the area after Charles buys the expensive neighbouring property Netherfield. If you’re f
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from Hachette Australia for an honest review

A modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice on an Australian farm - let me at it! Who needs McLeod's Daughter when you have Aussie Darcy?

Fitzwilliam Darcy was my first ever book boyfriend, before I even knew what BBFs were. For 30 years he has been my boo, and now I can love him just a little bit more.

Yes, we still get the story of love, family and friendship - with Instagram and Facebook thrown in for good measure.

We have all lour favo
Claire
A true Aussie rural retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I have to admit to having never read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I vaguely recall watching an adaptation years ago, but can't honestly recall the story, though I have a vague gist of how it goes, along with the many Mr Darcy memes that are floating around.

I absolutely loved this novel, it was witty and fun, full of family and friendship and rural life. It's been a long while since I picked up a book in the afternoon and refused to do a
Joanne
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, reviewed
The classic story Pride and Prejudice is retold with Australian country characters. The story line is going to hold you captivated throughout and you will enjoy every moment. It will make you laugh out loud and scream and even maybe shed a tear, you will feel all the character’s emotions along with them. Fiona has written another page-turner that you will not want to put down until the end. Then you are going to wish there was more.

The Bennets will find a place in your heart. Lizzy, Jane, Mary,
Michelle
I have read Pride and Prejudice, and I remember enjoying it. I have seen a screen adaptation or two, and enjoyed them. But I don't clearly remember it.
I remember enough that bits were familiar so I started out a little torn between trying to tie Matters of the Heart to Pride and Prejudice and getting lost in the story.

In the end I was totally lost in the story and fell in love with the WA Lizzie Bennet and Will Darcy.
A fabulous story Fiona.

Complete review here: https://miclovesbooks.home.blog/2
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
‘Western Australia, 2019: The Bennets are a farming family struggling to make ends meet. Lizzy, passionate about working the land, is determined to save the farm. Spirited and independent, she has little patience for her mother’s focus on finding a suitable man for each of her five daughters.
When the dashing Charles Bingley, looking to expand his farm holdings, buys the neighbouring property of Netherfield Park, Mrs Bennet and the entire district of Coodardy are atwitter with gossip and speculat
Sacha Beguely
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favourite books and I absolutely loved this reimagining set in rural Australia. I laughed my way through it and finished it in a night.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pride and Prejudice is my all time favourite. Mix it with a lot of country and I devoured this book in 2 days. Just loved the characters and a modern storyline.
fiona wilson
Nicole
Sep 13, 2019
Fay Horne
Aug 30, 2019
Bestselling rural author of books set in outback Western Australia. Small communities, farming, great aussie characters and mother nature. Also writes YA.