Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  601,566 Ratings  ·  7,338 Reviews
Sparkling with mischief, jumping with youthful adventure, Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer is one of the most splendid re-creations of childhood in all of literature. It is a lighthearted romp, full of humor and warmth. It shares with its sequel, Huckleberry Finn, not only a set of unforgettable characters--Tom, Huck, Aunt Polly and others--but a profound understanding of humanity ...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Turtleback Books (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, please sign up.

»jαу You can download the kindle version for free on Amazon!
James (JD) Dittes No Mexican-American authors come to mind, but Junot Diaz (a Dominican) mixes Spanish slang in with his stories to a similar effect that Twain does in…moreNo Mexican-American authors come to mind, but Junot Diaz (a Dominican) mixes Spanish slang in with his stories to a similar effect that Twain does in his books. I would recommend him.

As for Twain, some of his contemporaries included Ambrose Bierce and Bret Harte, all of which spent some time out west as Twain did. Stephen Crane is another. But while the latter authors' commitment to realism was similar to Twain's, their novels and stories don't always have the humor that sets Twain's characters above all others.(less)

Nataliya
I was five and a half years old when my mother gave me The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a New Year's gift (she is a literature teacher, and I have been reading novels since the tender age of four or so, and so it seemed appropriate).

Being a diligent and serious child (neither of those qualities have stuck with me, unfortunately), I opened it to page 1 and started reading. I even took it with me to kindergarten, where other kids were learning letters and I was mercifully allowed to read hefty tome
Ahmad  Ebaid
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
description

قصة عن مغامرات الطفل الشقي توم سوير وأصدقاءه,

لن تصدق أن هذه الرواية كتبت قبل 150 عام تقريباً,

فأسلوب مارك توين سهل سلس,

ولا يستخدم تلك الأساليب اللغوية التي تقوم على الاستعراض بمدى إلمام الكاتب بمفردات القاموس

مغامرات وأحداث, لا استعراض للتشبيهات اللفظية,

رواية مسلية جدا, أنا قرأتها في قعده واحدة تقريباً.

عندما بدأت في قراءة مغامرات هاكلبري فين علمت أنها إنما كانت تعد الجزء الثاني لمغامرات توم سوير, فاستحسنت أن أبدأ بقراءة الجزء الأول مادام لدي المتسع من الوقت.

description

وهذه هي آخر كلمات الجزء الأول قبل أن ي
Petra Eggs
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petra Eggs by: meghan krogh
Update All we need now is a "lost" manuscript by Twain to be found by some lawyer with the story being about an adult Tom Sawyer and this book being the one the editor "forced" Twain to write. I know you are probably thinking that is taking Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman to far, but what if that was just the beginning of a new initiative from publishers. It could be the latest fashion now no-one is interested in vampires any more?
__________

What happened to Tom after he grew up was asked in a rev
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, my daughter just started reading Tom Sawyer for the very first time, and I am jealous of her!

First of all, she can read it in original, while I read it in translation as a child. Second, I wish I could still have that immediate, surprised response to the silly situations. About every five minutes, she comes into my room, reading out loud some funny quotes, making the scenes come alive in my memory again. The fight between the two boys threatening with their fake big brothers, followed by the
Doug
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite work of fiction. I usually read this every summer.

As a fourth grader I read this book and took it very seriously. It was my dream to build a raft and go adventuring. Actually I did build the raft, but there was not enough water in the creek.

My other great ambition was to come marching into my own funeral. I still think that would be fun.

When I read about Tom taking a licking for Becky Thatcher in school and sharing his cake with her in the cave, I thought that was incredibl
James
Book Review
4+ out of 5 stars for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a classic novel written in 1876 by Mark Twain. Another book where there are likely tons of reviews, each covering the plot, summary, characters, writing and themes. I'll try not to do that, but instead a few quick hits on what made me like this one so much. An author's job is difficult. You undoubtedly have hundreds of ideas and images swimming around inside your head. You may want to try to correct a wrong in society. You could
Evgeny
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain

The above quote comes straight from the preface of the book and I really cannot add anything else to it; I would not dare
Bookdragon Sean
How many people get to crash their funeral?

Is it sort of weird that I want to do this? I mean it would be such a fun surprise for people or bad depending on what they thought of you. Imagine going to the funeral of your sworn enemy and then he bursts through the door, you’d be so disappointed or as equally amazed if you just buried your best friend and he turns up to say hi.

It something to ponder at least, other than that this book is pretty shit. I mean the narrative structure is a mess, the d
Fabian
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since Huck Finn, & I finally got around to reading this, a certain preparation text for the Mississippi River classic. This one is considered far inferior, and it is. Although, I must admit, the opening is stronger and the adventures are more varied. There is substantially more comedy in this, more of a dabbling with the picaresque—far more enjoyable then. But Huckleberry has a more pervasive pathos than this one: overall, a stronger sense of the loneliness experienced one lazy ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
There are few children's stories as memorable for boys as Tom Sawyer. Whether it is pre-adolescent fascination with girls, getting away with not working, or a late night adventure - Tom Sawyer has it all in spades. My kid absolutely loves this book and we go back to it every few years over and over again. It is a true reading pleasure which you should absolutely not deprive yourself of.
Carmen
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Looky-here, Tom, being rich ain't what it's cracked up to be. It's just worry and worry, and sweat and sweat, and a-wishing you was dead all the time."

This book is great. I hadn't read it in years, and found it just as good as the previous times I've read it. An American classic by the late, great Mark Twain.

Tom Sawyer isn't really a bad kid although he's always painted and remembered as a little troublemaker, the truth is he has a strong conscience and a strong moral compass. Sure he'll "hook"
Fernando
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luego del estado de aturdimiento general en que me dejó el Ulises de James Joyce, necesitaba leer una novela que me despejara un poco la mente. Algo disfrutable, una historia agradable y que mejor que disfrutar de las aventuras de Tom Sawyer…
Samuel Clemens, más conocido como Mark Twain, es un escritor que aprecio mucho. Sus cuentos y novelas son de una estética elevada, disfrutable y amena. Poseo un volumen de sus cuentos selectos, que estimo releer el año que viene y quería volver a leer este l
Nathan
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Great American Con.
Shelves: fiction
There's not much that can be said about this book by a hack like me that would do it justice. Mark Twain was the first American writer to figure out how to turn the American vernacular into art, and he was the first historian to document how we talked. He also was a visionary who saw the problems of race and the problem racism would be in the future, and he tried to warn the future the only way he knew how: by writing about it then. He was gutsy and he was talented and he was hilarious, and this ...more
K.D. Absolutely
This coming of age novel is an important American classic because:
1) It is the precursor for the bigger and more important Mark Twain novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

2) It is a historical fiction giving readers a glimpse of the laid back town's life in the mid to late 19th century. The town is called St. Petersburg that is based on Hannibal, Missouri, the hometown of Mark Twain. This book is basically a satire of the customs and superstitions that Americans practiced and believed durin
Miquel Reina
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of the great classics of English literature and I think one of the most important books for any writer. I read the adventures of Tom Sawyer when I was a child, but I still remember with a smile the wonderful story of Mark Twain.

Spanish version:
Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es uno de los grandes clásicos de la literatura inglesa y un referente para cualquier autor actual. Leí la aventuras de Tom Sawyer cuando era pequeño pero aún hoy sigo recordando con una sonr
j
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Fisher Price
As a child, nothing terrified me more than being lost. My parents found this hilarious. Every time we went on a road trip, my dad would wait a few hours and then start moaning that we had somehow gotten lost. "We're looost! We're looost!" he would wail, and in the backseat I would immediately start bawling. My vivid memories of this suggest that the fear grabbed me long after I should have been old enough to realize that a little kid can't really be lost while with his parents, let alone that yo ...more
Natalie Monroe
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Three things I've learned from reading Tom Sawyer:

1. Marbles are an acceptable form of currency. So provided I didn't throw out my set when I moved, I'm rich and can whitewash as many fences as I want.

2. Boys are dicks to the girls they like.

This is a lie.

This is the more likely scenario.

3. Books read better when you're not being forced to read them.

Next on my required reading list is The Great Gatsby. Mother have mercy...
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
What to say about this book?

Tom Sawyer is an intrepid adventurer, an incurable romantic, a devious trickster, a mischievous imp, a hopeless dreamer... a lot of things rolled into one. He is THE BOY who epitomises boyhood.

As Bertie Wooster would say - he reminds me that I too, once, lived in Arcady.
Apatt
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride”

- “Tom Sawyer” by Rush

Classic prog-rock man!

I’ve always wondered what Rush’s (probably) most popular song has to do with Mark Twain’s young protagonist. Something to do with being a free-spirited rebel I think, though I cannot imagine Tom Sawyer as a warrior. Tom, in fact, seems almost like a juvenile delinquent, though – through the course of this novel – there is no real malice in him. To quote his Aunt Polly, “he warn'
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

T, is for Twain.

3.5 Stars

If you have ever been a young girl you have learned one unavoidable fact; boys are the worst! They are self-absorbed, morbid and cruel. They'll call you names, pull on your hair and treat you entirely like crap....

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer revolves around, surprise, a young troublemaker named Tom. To my way of thinking Tom is a fairly good example of the average youngster. While his adventures may be grander than most, his selfishness and lack of compassion is not.
Sura  ✿
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
توماس سوير , عفريت صغير بهيئة إنسان , صاحب مخيلة عجيبة و شخصية لا يمكن ترويضها
يقوم بمجموعة من المشاكسات والمغامرات التي تقود به هو وصديقة هاك الى مشاهدة جريمة قتل لتضيف على حياته المثيرة المزيد من الاثارة .

اذكر في طفولتي ان توم سوير كان ابغض كائنات الارض بالنسبة لي لدرجة اني كنت اكره مشاهدة المسلسل , لكني كنت اشاهده مجبرة , فلم يكن يعرض سوى مسلسلين في اليوم فالمشاهدة الزامية سواء راقني المسلسل ام لم يرقني .
واليوم حين قرأت القصة أغرمت بتوم المشاكس الاستفزازي وخياله الواسع ومغامراته الشقية , اح
Amir Lewiz

__________________________

توم الولد الذكي الشقي الذي لا يطيع أوامر و نصائح الخالة بولي ولا أستاذه
وطالما تسبب ذلك في متاعب عديدة لهم ؛
مما كان يضطر خالته طيبة القلب لمعاقبته،

أما استاذه فلا يفكر مرتين قبل أن يعاقبه بقسوة.

لكن هذا الذكي الفنان عرف في احدي المرات كيف ينجو من عقاب خالته
Jim
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic!!!
Everytime you open this book it’s like you enter a time machine and go back in 1870’s Mississippi

Ο Τομ Σωγιερ είναι ένα παιδί που, αν και δεν του αρέσει καθόλου το σχολείο, σίγουρα είναι αρκετά έξυπνο. Η απλή καθημερινή ζωή τον κουράζει και ψάχνει πάντα κάποια περιπέτεια να ζήσει. Όμως συνήθως οι ιδέες του Τόμ φέρνουν σε αυτόν και όποιον αλλον τον ακολουθήσει (συνήθως ο κολλητός του ο Χακ) μεγάλους μπελάδες.
Όμορφα και απλοϊκά γραμμένο “Οι περιπέτειες του Τόμ Σώγιερ” είναι σίγουρο πως θ
Chrissie
What is it that makes this book special to me?

This is my second read; I enjoyed it very much as a 10-year-old and still very much now. It is a book for all ages. I am referring to both the age of the reader and the age in which they are living. Published in 1876, it was written 141 years ago and it is till enjoyable to read. Now that is a classic and what being a classic is all about.

I couldn't possibly have understood many of the satirical swipes Twain passes at religion, government, etiquett
Sonia
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Hallé mucha inocencia en las cualidades de Tom Sawyer y sus amigos. En sus temores, supersticiones, travesuras e incluso en sus momentos introspectivos. Creo que me gustó mucho ese matiz entre la manera de narrar de Twain, tal vez nada infantil, su humor y lo movido de las aventuras de este chico y de quienes le acompañaban. Lo disfruté al máximo porque exploraba no solo los actos de un niño sino sus motivaciones y sus maneras de ver las cosas.
En las escenas más divertidas (entre las que destaca
Antonio

Creo 3.5 estaria mejor pero como Goodreads tiene una maldita política totalitaria dictadora con las estrellas lo dejare en 4

Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es un clásico "universal" del que probablemente hayan visto alguna de las muchas adaptaciones americanas que tiene, ya sean propias series de televisión o películas basadas en el libro o apariciones especiales, como sucede en los padrinos mágicos. Quizás incluso se sepan ya la historia de la cerca que había que pintar.

En si esta es la historia d
Amanda NEVER MANDY
My book reading mirrors the way I choose to approach life in so many ways. This little look back on past reads brings to mind one of the main ones. How I like to take memories off the shelf to review but not relive; compared to how I take books off the shelf to review but not reread. My long term goal is to run through each shelf of books I have saved on this site and remember/review all of the books they contain.

I met this wonderful little book early on in my life. Another one of those adventur
Mike Anastasia
I gotta say, for a book that has an otherworldly aura to it, this wasn't as great as I've always been told it was.

Tom Sawyer is the story of a young, mischievous boy and his comrades in the antebellum south. Tom (and Huck Finn, who you've also probably heard of before reading the books) gets himself into all sorts of shenanigans before ultimately becoming the most popular boy in town after accidentally witnessing a murder and finding a bunch of stolen money. He has a love interest, gets into so
Peter
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I read Huckleberry Finn first and found that a superior book. I think what makes that book better is the great overarching story and the strong narrator Huck, whose childlike 'simple' view Twain uses to question the status quo of the world around him. The only part of Huckleberry Finn that I disliked was Tom Sawyer's appearance at the end. That didn't bode well for this book, but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

#SPOILERS#

In this book Huck is not as fully formed as he appears in his own sto
Rinda Elwakil
سبتمبر
أكتوبر

شهري قراءة موفقين، أكتر شهرين قرأت فيهم السنة دي
اكتر تقييمات مرتفعة السنة دي
خيارات موفقة إلي الآن

و الأن، قراءة أولي لمارك تواين.
To be reviewed
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Ivanhoe
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves
  • Kalle Blomquist (#1-3)
  • Ježeva kućica
  • The Pickwick Papers
  • The Jungle Books
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
  • Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Summer of the Monkeys
  • The Three Fat Men
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...
“The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it” 141 likes
“Ah, if he could only die temporarily!” 82 likes