Start by marking “The Traveler” as Want to Read:
The Traveler

The Traveler

Once there was a boy named Charlie, who had a nice life—but it wasn’t quite perfect. He had to spend too much of his time doing things he didn’t want to do. So one day he packed up all his time in a suitcase, locked it up, and set off to find a better way to spend it. Charlie traveled the world looking for the perfect thing to make him happy. In the meantime, unbeknownst t ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveler

Chuck
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chuck by: Marlene French
I picked this small novel to read as the result of a friend on Goodreads. It is a cute almost childlike book with an adult message which was meaningful to me. Simply put, you have only so much time to live, share and enjoy your stay in life. Don't wake up one day and wonder where it went.
Nancy Brady
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
This little gem takes ten minutes to read and look at the illustrations, and a lifetime to savor. A fable that teaches a lesson we would all do well to learn: living and loving is time well spent.

Charlie, a young boy, is dissatisfied the life is not perfect so he packs all his TIME in his suitcase and sets out to find perfection. What he finds on his global adventure is told in charming verse. When he realizes what he wants out of life, it is almost too late. Almost...

It's a book to read over an
Ashley M
Feb 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
The illustrations were cute but I read it in less than five minutes, standing in the library. Very predicatble. I don't know why they would agree to publish this, let along put it in the library. Seems like a gift-kind of book to me done by a third-grader. sorry.
Nicole
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a little reminder about the universe, and this is a most perfect reminder.
Eksi Nadiasti
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Once there was a boy named Charlie, who had a nice life – but it wasn’t quite perfect. He had to spend too much of his time doing things he didn’t want to do. So one day he packed up all his time in a suitcase, locked it up, and set off to find a better way to spend it. Charlie traveled the world looking for the perfect thing to make him happy. In the meantime, unbeknownst to him, his itsy-bitsy seconds and silky, smooth hours and raggedy days ticked away, so that when Charlie stopped traveling ...more
Robbie
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a slim picture book with a target audience of adults. Teens will most likely not enjoy it, but adults and small children will.

The fable tells the story of young Charlie, who decides to pack all his Time into a suitcase and travel the world searching for the perfect thing to spend it on. In the end, however, Charlie learns that it isn't how you spend your time that is important, but who you share it with.

The book is very touching, and accompanied by very nice illustrations with a distin
Stacy
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a sweet 5 minute read. There isn’t exactly anything profound about spending your time wisely as advice, but it left me with a smile on my face and a little nod in agreement. If you have a moment I’d see if your library has a copy. I also think it could be a cute gift for a young person going offi into the great unknown for the first time. They might not fully appreciate the lesson (not many do in their youth) but it is packaged in such a way (easy to read with illustrations) t ...more
Elle
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really thought that this was a really cute and sweet book. This is about a man who attempts to save his time for a worthy cause and goes around the world looking for this worthy cause. Then he gets older and comes back home and finds an old friend who is who he decides he wants to spend his time on only to find that his time has run out. Poignant. Time goes whether you are ready or not for it.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Delightful little book found on the clearance shelf at Starbucks, marked down to $2.99 from $12.95.

Would make a lovely song - the text is circular but lyrical and the end result is a quick trip through a life squandered by thinking 'I have all my time - I can wait to spend it when something REALLY PERFECT happens' - and of course, that never comes.

Lovely gift - and the size is just right for tucking into a suitcase.
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This has many qualities of a children's picture book. There are simple illustrations on almost every page, and the text is intentionally repetitive. It only takes a few minutes to read the entire book. It packs a powerful lesson about how to spend your time and about what is most important in life. Although written for adults, I think it would also be great for kids.
Marlene French
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short read featured previously at STARBUCKS. I have had it quite some time and picked it up today reading it in about 5 or 10 minutes. At first I felt it to be more of a Children's book but in a few words it has a big meaning which really touched me! Nice surprise! Give it a read! I will pass this on to someone special.
Bobby
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
As with music, if I think that I could have written it, it can't be very good. Too simple, too obvious, and a severe lack of profundity.
Veronica
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone.
Recommended to Veronica by: the new book shelf
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is a poignant fable about using your time wisely and living life to the fullest. Guaranteed to be a tear-jerker, The Traveler is 48 pages worth of time well spent.
Camille Adams
Jan 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Corny, striving for depth...wannabe The Little Prince. Not Moved.
R.L.
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Κριτική στα Ελληνικά πιό κάτω...

This is a children's book and has its merrits for an adult I guess, but as a children's book it was a decent one.

A very quick read with minimalistic illustrations and a nice main message: Life might not be perfect and there might be elements in your life you find annoying. But anyway, life is worthing living at present rather than wasting your time seeking perfection -which might not come- sometime in the future.

Love your friends with their flaws, live your life,
Slow Man
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
Once there was a boy who spent most of his time browsing books in bookstores. He loved to hunt for bargain books in book fairs. He decided to create The Perfect Reading List in His Perfect Library. He went on to do this for many years but he didn’t spend his time reading them. He was waiting for the perfect mood to read the perfect book. But there was never a perfect time and there would never be a perfect mood for a perfect book. He was never happy because he has wasted too much time. So one da ...more
Arun
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lent-to-staff
A very simple short 5-minute read! Really cute illustrations. But the message is really vital to your life! Time is the most important asset. You cannot store it. It will pass by, so be sure to enjoy every moment and make your time count.
Plum-crazy
A lovely little book with a very poignant ending. I can see why it appeals to all ages, children will like the repetition of one of the phrases & adults will appreciate the sentiment.
It reinforces my belief that life is short & to enjoy it while I can 😊
Dessa Ely
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book changed my life. i read it as a child and i have lived by the rest of my life. i love it and anyone who doesn’t should give it another chance
Marz Mysko
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the simplicity of this book along with its message.
Bobby
My friend gave me this book for Christmas one year, I read it from time to time and it usually perks me up.
Dana
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet story I read with my daughters about the importance of time and living a not-so-perfect life.
Valery
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute lil' book!
Sarah Snow
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great message for kids and adults alike. Spend all your time on things you love, it’s not something that can be saved up.
Jenna
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute little story about how we spend our time. It took me under 10 minutes to finish.
Julia
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
How I picked up this book is kind of a funny story: I was demonstrating some of the new features of our brand spanking new express checkout machines at my library for some of my colleagues -- features which include book recommendations. I showed how easy (and forgettable, apparently) it was to place a hold, right then and there, on a recommended title. A week later I was startled to find this book waiting on the hold shelf for me. By the time I puzzled out how it had got there, noted that its sl ...more
Shannon
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
If you could pack your time - your "big, bulky decades, your round, squishy years, your square, mushy months, your triangular, shiny weeks and your raggedy days" - where would you spend them? If you could save your time to spend on something, what would it be? Would you, like this small, spare book's titular character, travel the globe looking for the perfect way to spend it, only to have it whittle away without you noticing?

So often, I feel like my time is not my own. This book left me determin
Rhonda
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
VERY quick read. Simple story, young person packs up all his hours, minutes and seconds of "time" in his suitcase and travels the world to discover how best to spend his "time", only to return home an old man, lonely, with wasted time. Moral of the story...spend your time wisely with things that matter.
You either read this and think it is quite profound, or...not.
I'm somewhere inbetween.
Maybe a good gift for graduates.....
Vicky
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A little toy of a book, only 35 pages long with pretty illustrations and a lot of wisdom. The story reminds me the one from The Alchemist. The life is about how you spent your time, the only real thing you have in your possession. When your time is coming to the end, no other riches of the world are relevant. Use your time wisely.
Jennifer Daniel
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
For such a short little book it crammed in a big dose of depression. The main gist was you can't waste your life waiting for something perfect you should just settle. I disagree! I have been settling and after time settling turns into seething hommicidal rage. I wish I would have kept searching for at least Ok, if not perfect.
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Lifeblood
  • Press Enter
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The Unveiling
  • The Barrack-Room Ballads and Other Verses
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It