Start by marking “Standing With Israel” as Want to Read:
Standing With Israel

Standing With Israel

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Focusing on a subject that has been covered by various national media, including the Wall Street Journal, 60 Minutes, and Nightline, Standing With Israel goes beyond politics to:

Profile leading Christian Zionists and detail the views and motives that drive their politics.
Spotlight Jews who have been at the forefront of forming a budding alliance with Israels Christian all
Published (first published April 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Standing With Israel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing With Israel

Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
If you know me at all, you'll know it is no surprise that I liked this book.

Great history of how the church has and hasn't stood with Israel over the years. I especially liked the doctrinal history of Darby and others.

Written by a Republican Jew, which, if you know me, basically means, "you had me at 'hello'."
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
There's a lot here.
Some of it is (or should be) obvious.
A lot isn't though, and I'm glad to have picked it up.

Anyone interested in what motivated the Righteous Gentiles of the last century should pick this up.
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Written by a Jewish author yet published by a Christian publishing house, Standing With Israel's aim is to convince Jews that "evangelical" Christians are fighting with them in support of the Israel state. This book explains Christian theological motives for supporting Israel (including the theological history leading up to it), early Christian Zionists and those Christian Zionists who made a difference in establishing Israel as a state, the good works that Christian Zionists presently do in the ...more
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics-history
Brog documents the fascinating alliance between evangelical Christians and Israel, going beyond stereotypes to describe the theological and political underpinnings that support the connection. However, Brog, as a Jew and clearly pro-Israel, finds it difficult to sympathize with Christians that object to unconditional backing that the US government has provided that has led to a lack of accountability and human rights abuses.
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics

A good book addressing a very interesting subject matter. The biggest supporters of Israel in the US these days are not, in fact, Jews, but rather the Christian conservatives. The more liberal US Jews tend to be very suspicious of this support. This book should put them at ease as it dispels the myth that Christians only support Israel because it is necessary for the second coming. Well written, I would recommend reading.
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great look at the burgeoning relationship between Jews and Christians. It dispels myths Jews have held for quite some time regarding the "true motive" of philo-Semitism (Christian embrace of Jews), while celebrating the potential these relationships possess when it comes to defending Israel. Great read. I encourage anyone who supports Israel to read it.
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who wants to truly understand the world of Christian Zionism
This book is meant to explain the world of Christian Zionism. It is written by an advocate, what appeals to me is the whole "two sides to every story" theory, and everyone deserves a chance to be heard. This is theirs.

PS - no I did not read this cover to cover - but I got the idea
Jul 27, 2013 added it
This is an important book. It demystifies the stereotypes and misunderstandings that many Jews have about Christian support and affinity for Jews and Israel. It provides a fascinating history of the Evangelical movement in the United States. Well written and easy to read.
Maria Mcclain
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent! A real important book. Great on history and insight. Christians and Jews -- a must read.
Doug Magnuson
Don't get the wrong impression. I'm not reading this book as a "fan," but to see what this guy thinks, what his arguments are. I will perhaps write a review when I finish.
Mar 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: israel
Really important book. Explains the relationship of modern US support for Israel and Jews by Evangelicals. A must read to get past apparent stereo types.
Luis Vial
Excelent history of the Jewish Nation./ Bless the nation of Israel and one will be bless.
Jun 28, 2006