Start by marking “The Case of the Baker Street Irregular” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Baker Street Irregular

The Case of the Baker Street Irregular

(Andrew Tillet, Sara Wiggins & Inspector Wyatt #1)

Andrew found London terrifying, especially after his guardian, sour old Mr. Dennison, was mysteriously abducted. Suddenly, Andrew was plunged into a series of bizarre, bombings, blackmail and murder. Then, when he met the incomparable detective Sherlock Holmes, Andrew's plight took a thoroughly remarkable turn...
(back cover)
Mass Market Paperback, 228 pages
Published October 1st 1984 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Baker Street Irregular, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Baker Street Irregular

Flannery
Sherlock Holmes is basically a literary superhero to me. Sure his weaknesses are a little more interesting than most but he holds the same appeal to me as comic books do to fanboys. (or girls!) I am just one huge grin at all of the quick conversations, random factoids and asides, and during the eventual wrap-up when the billions of threads get sewn up tightly in a way that only Sherlock Holmes would ever be able to figure. A Goodreads friend sent me a copy of this book because she knows how much ...more
Victoria Lynn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, suspence
ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER>

read 5 times. . .

9.22.17
Just finished reading this again. Still one of my fave books of all time. This is probably reaching being read 10 times. Enough Sherlock to have me on the edge of my seat. but satisfied with a quick read.
Wendy Darling
A fantastic series that I loved as a kid and still holds up for adults. Well-written, engrossing mysteries with engaging characters and just enough of Sherlock himself to whet the appetite for investigation and adventure.
Laura Verret
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Andrew’s always wondered about his parents. They’ve both been a mystery to him – his father dead, his mother absent. And now that Aunt Agnes is dead, it seems that he’ll never discover the secret of his parentage.

He’s just arrived in London with Mr. Dennison, his tutor and guardian. The two of them have never been close, but when Andrew sees Mr. Dennison being forced into a cab driven by a mysterious broken-nosed man, he’s alarmed. His alarm turns to fright the next night when that very same cab
C.O. Bonham
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlockia
This was a book that I had read when I was much younger and was glad to find that I enjoyed it just as much as an adult. I know I understood it a lot better having recently read the Origanal Holmes stories by Doyle.

I think that the adventures of a young man named Andrew Craigie ties in really well with the case that Holmes is working on and those of you who read it solely for the Holmes element won't be disappointed. References to Doyle occur frequently in the conversations between Holmes and W
Cross Kaien
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best Sherlock Holmes I have ever read aside from the originals. I loved how amazingly rich the case was , it was a refreshing Delightful Read.
Will Golder
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is an amazing book for people who like mystery and suspense
Quirkyreader
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that includes the famous Baker Street detective Sherlock Holmes.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance, during Sherlocked. (October - December 2015)

Andrew arrives in London from Cornwall with his guardian Mr. Dennison. Andrew is overwhelmed by the great metropolis bustling around him. He and his guardian have a small room near Baker Street where they are staying. After they settle in they walk around the neighborhood and Andrew gets a glimpse of the great detective himself, Sherlock Holmes! The next few days Mr. Dennison is busy an
Amanda
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Truthfully, if Goodreads would let me, I'd give this one 3.5 stars, mostly because the very ending exchange fell flat enough that it kept it from a solid 4 stars. It'll never be among my favorites because it's not my preferred genre and while the writing is clear and concise it's in no way lyrical (personal preference). But I would highly recommend this to any kid who loves mysteries or adventure stories or historical fiction or would love Sherlock Holmes' particular brand of sniffing out a solu ...more
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOT my first time reading it- found it first in 4th grade and it MAY be part of why I was so willing to go into the Holmes rabbit hole.

I recall loving the rest of the series as well (though no more Holmes and a new family situation that was set up in the first book) and I took the chance to reread.

One of my faves-
Enjoy!
Dixie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Bev
The Case of the Baker Street Irregular (1978) by Robert Newman is the first in a series of books featuring Andrew Craigie (later Tillet...as explained by the events in this novel), the Baker Street Irregulars, and, in various amounts, Sherlock Holmes himself. Andrew Craigie's life has been a mysterious one. He has grown up under the care of his Aunt Agnes. He had always been told that his father was dead and his mother was far away--and even though she couldn't be with him that she loved him ver ...more
Hemavathy DM Suppiah
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amy
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, j-fiction
This book was so slow that I was tempted to put it down. I only kept at it because it was pretty short. I know this is supposed to focus more on the boy, Andrew, but the early on parts where we got glimpses of Sherlock and actual scenes with him were very boring and dull. He lacked the spark that makes him unique.

But, about half way through when we were introduced to Ben the blind man, the book picked way up. It's obvious who it is, and I was on alert for any sort of clue as to what he was up to
Jared
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know where we picked this book up, but it's a gem. The story follows a boy, Andrew, as he arrives in London with his guardian. They land in a boarding house near Baker Street, soon running into Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Little does Andrew realize that he will soon be embroiled in a mystery of his own when his guardian disappears...

The writing is clear and believable, the characters are interesting, and the plot is fun. If the ending is perhaps a bit too pat, I think the author can
Alexis
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading the originals I didn't expect this version (from a different author) to be as good as the originals but this story/version was exactly the way I wanted it to be. It tells the story of Andrew, a boy who doesn't know who his parents are and is living with a guardian. They travel to London where his guardian is kidnapped. Andrew finds Sherlock Holmes, who helps him to find not only his guardian but also to find out about his past. The beginning kind of dragged but once you were into the sto ...more
Jay
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, 2011
This was a really interesting book. It's a different author telling a Sherlock Holmes story. I thought he did a really good job of capturing the feel of the original, while telling a new story. I read this aloud to my kids... now I hope they'll go off and read more Sherlock Holmes stories themselves. (We did have to discuss some of the words they were unfamiliar with, but a lot of the vocabulary was easily understood from context.)
Jessica
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
This story was exactly what I wanted it to be: a fun mystery for YA. It tells the story of Andrew, a boy who doesn't know who his parents are and is living with a guardian. They travel to London where his guardian is kidnapped. Andrew finds Sherlock Holmes, who helps him to find not only his guardian but also to find out about his past.

It was a fun and quick read.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book when I was about 10 or 11 and was just getting into Sherlock Holmes (by A.C. Doyle). I had read some other authors who had written some Holmes stories and was unimpressed, but this one I really liked. I thought the Holmes in this one was true to form and it was neat to see a story from the point of view of a character other than Watson.
Natalie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this one to my children. It reminded me of the books that I read as a child. There was enough of a story to keep the younger ones interested, and enough of a mystery to keep the older ones engaged. I think it was best for my 9 year old. Plus, several of my kids are interested in reading Sherlock Holmes now.
Sherry
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! Not great in the sense of a classic, but great in the sense that it kept you wondering: Who is this kid? Why is someone chasing him? Why has his guardian disappeared? Are his new friends really friends? There should be more books like this!
Lafcadio
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fly
It's the source of the reference for the army of children in my favorite book. Well, maybe not this book specifically, but the Baker Street Irregulars in general.
Amanda Kern
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still a good book

I read this book when I was a kid. I really liked the series. I was glad when I saw it on the kindle. Now I can share it with the young teens of this age.
Cws
Jan 15, 2009 added it
Shelves: j-mystery
JM4 New
Libby
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it
My mom read this out loud to me and my brother when we were little. One of the best "thriller/suspense" books for a younger age group.
Robin
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a book I'd considered great as a kid-- the plot twists were unexpected and genius. Rereading it as an adult was disappointing. (It was contrived/predictable.)
Becky
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this aloud to my 9yo. Some parts were boring to him and over his head but he enjoyed the chapters featuring Andrew & Screamer.
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was one of my favorites way back when. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I still like it now. Thank heavens cynicism hasn't ruined everything for me.
Riley Jones
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME

One of the best books you will ever read. It will leave you on the edge of your seat with its mysterious crimes
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • Throwing Shadows
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • The Best of Father Brown
  • Master Cornhill
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • Thames Doesn't Rhyme with James
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders
  • The King of Mulberry Street
  • The Last Treasure
  • The Search for South Pole Santa (The South Pole Santa Series #1)
  • Nicobobinus
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense

Mr. Newman, who was born in Manhattan, began his career as a writer for radio shows. In 1944, he was in charge of the radio portion of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's re-election campaign. He also wrote ''Search for Tomorrow'' and ''Peyton Place'' episodes for television.

From 1973 to 1988, he wrote books for y

Andrew Tillet, Sara Wiggins & Inspector Wyatt (9 books)
  • The Case of the Vanishing Corpse
  • The Case of the Somerville Secret
  • The Case of the Threatened King
  • The Case of the Etruscan Treasure
  • The Case of the Frightened Friend
  • The Case of the Murdered Players
  • The Case of the Indian Curse
  • The Case of the Watching Boy
“You know, Mr. Holmes, you could make a fortune on the stage reading minds. Would you like to go a step further and tell me what I’ve come to see you about?” “I suspect it’s yesterday’s bombing in the Baker Street Underground station.” Gregory continued to stare at him for a moment, then slapped his thigh. “Mr. Holmes, no matter how high my regard for you is, it’s clear I don’t regard you highly enough.” “That goes without saying,” said Holmes with only the slightest touch of irony.” 0 likes
“Except to Mrs. Harker. And just a few minutes ago you were urging me to help her.” “But that was before you were asked to help put a stop to the bombings. I confess that your reasoning baffles me.” “Not for the first time, Watson. And probably not for the last.” 0 likes