Start by marking “Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within” as Want to Read:

You could pray, or meditate, or dream, or visit a shaman, or a minister, or a hypnotherapist. With so many routes into inner consciousness, why write? Of all the ways to get in touch with God, as you understand God... to hear the small, still voice pointing you in the right direction... why take the time to write? One reason: it works. It works amazingly well. If you want ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Conari Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Down Your Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Down Your Soul

Start your review of Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within
Yelda Basar Moers
Once in a while when sifting through an apple tree of books, you pine for a ripe one that has all the elements to satisfy, and hope you find it. That is how I felt about Writing Down Your Soul when I was looking for a book on spiritual writing. Janet Conner makes a convincing and inspirational case that writing can be just as powerful and effective as prayer or meditation to connect to a higher consciousness. Through journal writing, she shows us the path to the all-knowing voice within us. Her ...more
Tami
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
The method presented in Writing Down Your Soul is part journaling and part channeling. Essentially, you start off journaling. Not benign topics like the weather or your daily habits, more like dumping your truth onto the pages. All your frustration, all your deepest darkest secrets, and all your fears laid out without any reservations. Complete purging.

The key difference is that your writing is meant to be a conversation. A dialogue between you and God or your higher power (or whatever term you
Tamara
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-book
For me, this book has changed the way that I view writing and communicating with the Divine. It is actually taught me how to have a relationship with the Great Spirit and how to listen to the Voice when I ask for help. For many years, I didn't know know to communicate with the Voice and I often felt that I was being ignored or was not important enough to be heard. Ever since I read this book, I write in my journals (I have one at home, one in my car, one in purse, and one on each of my electroni ...more
Crystal
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This is more of a spiritual book than a writing book. At first I thought it might be a bit more “out there” than I might enjoy but I liked this book more than I expected to. She extracts from several different spiritual traditions and yet, all of the “exercises” can fit into the reader’s own personal tradition/myth. The second half of the book was more in-depth and I liked the lists of questions and techniques she suggested using when writing to “the Voice” or as I choice to do – God. Writing ca ...more
Mary Radmacher
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
is janet your best friend? sitting across the table from you helping you sort
the complexities of your life with her gentle, yet pointed guidance?

it might feel that way.

don't let soul or spirit references (if you're resistant to that sort of thing) keep you from this
book... you can fill in the blank _______ for soul and G#* any way you wish. the writing
structures are invaluable practice for writers and for deep seekers.
Kurt Anderson
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meh. Don't waste your time.

Recipe:
- Sift 'the Artist's Way,' meditation, and 'the Secret'
- Sprinkle anecdotes from the author's life
- Pepper with passing references to some psychological studies
et voila

It's a heartfelt, sincere, entirely superfluous book. Unless you're specifically going through or trying to deal with something traumatic or if you've never before encountered the concept of writing as a tool of self-discovery, your time is better spent reading something else.
Laura Summers
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine was going through a life-changing, challenging experience, and I didn't seem to have any words that would comfort her. I told her that I was there for her and that I wanted to listen... but she needed an internal solution. After reading this book for myself, I bought her a copy. In less than a week, she felt so much better because Janet's book gave her the tools that allowed her to start to process through everything she was feeling without dismissing the pain and hurt she was f ...more
Chris Burd
There are a few things that I wish I had known about this book before I picked it up. 1.) It is written with the expectation that the reader believes in God or some sort of omnipotent higher being (preferably through the Christian faith), and 2.) it is expected that the reader is unhappy in his or her current life. With neither of those things being true for me, I was not the target audience and that heavily influenced my enjoyment of the book.

(I picked this book up in a bookstore while traveli
Stephanie Barko
Jan 08, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: writers and spiritual folks
Recommended to Stephanie by: South Austin Spiritual Book Group & Story Circle Network
This is a book I use every day to get my head started in the right place. That way, my heart has a chance at following a good lead. There are too many ways this book has helped. You just have to read it, use it, and benefit from it yourself. It's a hands-on experience, and it was very kind of Janet to come all the way from Florida to speak to my book group this year about her book.
George
Dreadfully boring and basic rambling. This book was not for me. I'm ranking it 2 stars because I can see somebody else connecting with it. If, however, I had to spend any more time with it myself, it would have received 1 star. Ugh. Next.
Joanna Cabot
This was a really useful book! Parts of it were a little 'woo-woo' for me, even beyond what I would have expected for this topic. But the prompts and suggestions for getting past stumbling blocks were super-helpful, and the narrative of the author's own story was compelling. I will definitely refer to this book again.
Maggie
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-writing, self-help
i've long valued the fact of writing, any type of writing. writing helps us think, work through buried emotions, and most of all i firmly believe in the power of every single person's story and how can we know your story (or you, mine) unless we write. and this book is another fair guide to writing down our thoughts, our feelings, our experiences, our world view. go for it.

the book seems to rely heavily on the current fad (meant technically not as a put-down) of manifestation, the prosperity gos
Karen
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to journal every day as a way to savor the good and to transform the not so good. I picked up the audible.com version of Writing Down Your Soul to help remind me of the value of journaling, and found it very effective. There are some elements of the book that didn't resonate for me but like other reviewers, I recommend ignoring the elements that don't work for you and mining the gems that are useful. About halfway (or is it 3/4?) through the book, the author provides a long list of questi ...more
Sandy
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Over the years I have read a number of books on journaling, however, Janet Conner has uncovered a number of techniques that make it possible to not only begin journaling, but to continue the practice well beyond the challenge of a 30-day commitment to writing. Her book is filled with her own experiences, but she also has sought out experts in various areas of personal development and the combination makes for a very readable book. This is a book you will read, underline and put to use before you ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
This book is a real treasure. She is baring her soul in order to help us get in touch with our souls and connect within with ourselves, in the simplest riches way. The book reads beautifully, sweetly, smoothly, a gem of the finest kind. I never expected that but I felt that the author is writing me a personal letter and sharing her heart in the simplest yet the profoundest way. I love the book. I love the author!
Claire Conner
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Janet Conner (spoiler, she is my sister) has written a transformational "how to" for spiritual seekers. Carefully guiding a new reader through complex ideas about deep soul writing, Janet's book offers a refreshing look at what writing can be and how our spirit uses the written word to help us find answers. A must read.
Jason
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far beyond any expectation I had for this book. Insight and wisdom for a lifetime.
Tom Britz
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing Down Your Soul is a detailed mix of Law of Attraction and journaling. Janet Conner draws it out in a clear and helpful way. Recommended.
Allysia K
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of woo. Sometimes it was nice - I had moments while listening to the audiobook where I reconnected with my spiritual side - but sometimes it was just a lot.

The beginning was great. Her stories were fascinating (and horrifying), but I started to lose interest as the book wore on. A lot of words for one very simple idea - have conversations with God in writing.

I also acknowledge that I'm not the target audience. I'm not in need of major healing
I'm further along my emotional
Mai
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Writing down your soul is a special way of journaling that helps you connect with your soul and access that special voice and its wisdom that can guide you through the journey of your life
The author calls the power that can help her ,answer her prayers and solves her problems "The voice" but I call it "God"
Many spiritual gurus call it "the source" ,others call it "The field"
Whatever you call it,they all seem to agree that there is higher entity that can answer all our questions and help us if w
Rebecca Tolley
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this audio book version and sometimes zoned out due to multitasking --but that's my MO with audio books; I'm more attentive when reading rather than listening. Conner's approach to journaling is not so different, at least, her advice to journalers doesn't differ much from the standard bits doled out to would-be writers: pick a regular writing time, write everyday, write for a certain time. And while she covers basics like pen and journal selection and decorating or finding a peacef ...more
Claudia Loureiro
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
The method presented by Janet in this book is part journaling and part channeling. Essentially, you start off journaling: dumping your truth onto the pages. You write about your frustrations, all your deepest darkest secrets, and all your fears are laid out without any reservations. It's all about purging because writing (down our souls) replaces those nagging internal negative thoughts. Those thoughts are replaced with wonderful insights and the internal negative chatter is slowly replaced with ...more
Cassandra Carico
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was not very inspired by this book. I may come back to it another day, but it just felt like the author was giving a personal testimony of how using other people's writing advice had helped her during a period in her life of extreme abuse. There was no new or exciting revelation here; she did the morning pages from the Artist's Way, and found that they worked for her. Then she gives writing prompts. That pretty much sums it up.
Liz
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful time I had reading this book. I was so disappointed when it finished. I think I'll read it again. It's not only inspiring, but also practical and motivating.
I couldn't wait to start writing after each chapter, I knew exactly what to do. This is a solution-focused book and I highly recommend it to anyone as productive therapy, as well as a tool to help with writers block. Thank-you Janet.
StacyLynn StacyLynn
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was seeking a book about spiritual writing and inner healing and found this amazing title by Janet Conner.

If you are looking for a deeper experience with journal writing, a type of meditation writing that will allow you to connect to your higher self and the great Spirit Divine, I suggest this book.

Janet will guide you, step by step, into writing to (and from) your soul.

I can't say enough good things about this book. I'm excited to write. :)
Kat Skarbek
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Simple, beautiful and touching, this is part autobiography and part journey into the deepest part of ourselves and how that can turn our world around. Learning how to connect with and listen to that still small voice within, God, Great Spirit, Great Mystery, is demystified in this book and is made easy enough that anyone can do it.
Shavawn Berry
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I've been doing this sort of 'soul writing' as Connor calls it, for fifteen years, I enjoyed reading of her experience with it, as well as the questions she poses for possible use in contacting spirit.

I think I will definitely start 2016 with a "Soul Day". It sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate the New Year and express gratitude for all that is blessed and good.
Barbara
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book with its methods for writing the questions in your life and then answering them.
Her explanations of "how to", "sample questions", and "understanding the process" are very good and invite someone to make changes using the journaling process. This is a great tool if you don't want to go to counseling but can honestly examine your life.
Amanda
Oct 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm trying to find the right word to describe this book. Spritual doesn't seem right but neither does religious. For me there was way too much focus on God though. Didn't get anything from this book that I havne't gotten from other sources.
Autumn
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish. I loved the beginning of this but it quickly turned into filler material. I will probably look at it again later to see if I can glean more from it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Enchanted Life: Unlocking the Magic of the Everyday
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics
  • If Women Rose Rooted: The Power of the Celtic Woman
  • Belonging: Remembering Ourselves Home
  • Mary Magdalene Revealed: The First Apostle, Her Feminist Gospel & the Christianity We Haven't Tried Yet
  • The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing
  • Signs: The Secret Language of the Universe
  • The Way of Liberation
  • Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
  • If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
  • The Charmed Garden: Sacred and Enchanting Plants for the Magically Inclined Herbalist
  • Elemental Magick: Meditations, Exercises, Spells, and Rituals to Help You Connect With Nature
  • The Bright Side of Going Dark
  • The Heart To Start: Stop Procrastinating & Start Creating
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • Fragrant Magic: Modern Spells and Rituals to Evoke the Protective Powers of Perfume Magic
  • Everyday Magic
In Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within, Janet Conner tells a profound story of what actually happens in our hearts, minds, and souls when we write with the intention of accessing divine wisdom. Not content to have simply experienced the life-changing power of writing, Janet set out to uncover the science that explains why writing by hand is the sing ...more

News & Interviews

“Writing focuses your attention so clearly on the wisdom within that you cannot help but feel guided and loved.” 2 likes
“water is transformed structurally by our thoughts and words.” 1 likes