Start by marking “M Is for Magic” as Want to Read:
M Is for Magic

M Is for Magic

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  13,964 ratings  ·  1,475 reviews
Stories to delight, enchant, and surprise you.
Bestselling author and master storyteller Neil Gaiman here presents a breathtaking collection of tales that may chill or amuse readers - but always embrace the unexpected. Collection includes:
"The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds,"
"Troll Bridge,"
"Don't Ask Jack,"
"How to Sell the Ponti Bridge,"
"October in the Chair,"
"
Published July 1st 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about M Is for Magic, please sign up.
Katsuro Ricksand Goodreads isn't for downloading books; it's for discussing them.

·  13,964 ratings  ·  1,475 reviews

Miranda Reads
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Oh Good Lord, do not buy this one for your kids

Despite the cutesy title, this is soooooo not appropriate for anyone under preteens. There are no rainbows and there are no unicorns...and because it's Gaiman, it's weirdly sexual (though, not hardcore, at least). YOU have been warned

**Additional warning** Several of these stories appear elsewhere. I get that short stories are often published on their own before becoming part of anthology, but what I'm referring to is that the short stories are alr
Hannah Greendale
This book is in peril of falling into a forgotten realm, a status that stems from misguided marketing. The title, M is for Magic, suggests a collection of stories for children, yet the book is categorized for young adults, and the content - from the crotch-sniffing troll whose "penis hung from the bush of gonk hair between his legs" to the months of the year sitting fireside to enjoy "a bottle of 1902 Château Lafitte" - caters to adults.

M is for Magic includes ten short stories and one poem. It
Jason Koivu
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
M is for the many things I always hope to get out of reading a Neil Gaiman book. Then the usual happens...

Some of these stories - "Sunbird", "October in the Chair", and "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" - appear in his excellent short story collection Fragile Things, and apparently others also appear elsewhere, mostly Smoke and Mirrors. Add to that, "The Witch's Headstone" is the precursor to The Graveyard Book. So, M is for Magic is really just a repackaging of old material.

That's been a runni
Jillian
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book it was so cute . I love the short stories and especially the graveyard book themed story. Neil Gaiman is probably my favorite author . I try to read as much from him as possible. Neverwhere was my first of his books I ever read and still my favorite followed by Coraline , but I do love books of short stories and this book was whimsical and fanciful. It was great 👍🏻👍🏻&⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ from me. ...more
Phrynne
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of short stories. Once I get my teeth into a good book I want it to go on and on which is why I read a lot of series. However if I am going to read short stories then ones written by one of my favourite authors is the only way to go. This book contains some absolute treasures. A few of the stories use nursery rhymes as their source, a couple are almost science fiction and of course there is a lot of Gaiman's trade mark fantasy. Pure entertainment:)
SomePig
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The problem with assigning a star rating to this book is that, like any book of short stories, it is a mixed bag. Especially considering that this particular book of stories is by Neil Gaiman who can pen novles that are original enough that the only resemblance they bear to one another is the name on the front cover.

What I gather from this book (intended for a YA audience) is that Gaiman allows himself to get more experimental with stories than perhaps with his novel. As always, the writing is s
P. Aaron Potter
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
R is for Recycled.

Seriously, I thought these stories were good enough, many of them, the first THREE times they were published. Five times, in at least one case, and possibly two. But there is not a single new story in this collection, folks. I almost titled this review "R is for Ripoff."

So, no original work. Maybe that would be okay if there were a good theme tying these together.

The problem is the anthology's premise: somebody got to Neil Gaiman and said "hey, you should publish an anthology o
Obsidian
I am kind of annoyed. I had hoped for a nice collection of short stories to sink my teeth into. But instead I ended up skipping over a lot of stories I had previously read in this one. So I ended up only taking a few short hours on this one (I think it took me around 2) to finish up. For the really new to me stories I thought some were just okay, and others didn't make a lick of sense and did not appeal to me. The only really one I enjoyed was "The Price" and that featured a black cat.

For those
Sanja_Sanjalica
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great and fun read, captivating, innovative...great style and imagination.
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds: ★★/5
Troll Bridge: ★/5
Don't Ask Jack: ★/5
How to Sell the Ponti Bridge: ★/5
October in the Chair: ★★/5 (the story have been told in the story was rubbish, the idea of the premise of the story was good somehow.)
Chivalry: ★★/5 (maybe the best one?)
The Price: ★★/5
How to Talk to Girls at Parties: ★/5
Sunbird: ★/5
The Witch's Headstone: ★★/5
I don't see the point of any of these stories. Hell, I couldn't see why the story ended!
sadly this was my first story from
Hamster
Nov 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
I was impressed with Neil Gaiman for doing a great job narrating his own stories. He's one of the few authors that can get away with it. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the material quite as much. While I've never been a fan of twisted nursery rhymes (translation: I hate them; if you can't come up with original material you shouldn't be writing) Gaiman did a reasonably good job of making the Humpty Dumpty parody palatable (but just). When I got to the completely pointless second story about a troll ...more
Ana
The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds- a detective investigates Humpty Dumpty's death (3 stars)

Troll Bridge- a boy makes a deal with a troll (3 stars)

Don't Ask Jack-a never used, always waiting Jack-in-the-box (2 stars)

How to Sell the Ponti Bridge- a master con (3 stars)

Chivalry- an elderly English lady finds the Holy Grail and gets an unexpected guest (4 stars)

The Price- a lovely homage to black cats everywhere (3 stars)

The Witch's Headstone- a vignette about Bod from The Graveyard Book
Melki
A disappointing collection of stories, most of which I've read before. I did enjoy Chivalry in which a sweet old lady finds some interesting objects at her local charity shop, and The Price which is about a cat who keeps a family safe from harm.

I'll donate it to the library to see if younger readers are more enamored.
Mizuki
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every story is very imaginative indeed, but aside from the first four or five stories at the beginning, some of the later stories seem.........slightly lacking in this re-read, but those stories are really outstanding than most stuff we can find in the book market these days...
Andrew
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars to this book, which would have been five with a touch of "black" more pronounced.
Eleven stories, to be exact, in between the fantastic and visionary, bizarre and fascinating.

"The Witch's Headstone": it is a story that also appears in the book "The Graveyard Book". A young man, raised in a graveyard by ghosts, struggling with an adventure that will bring him in contact with the outside world. Enjoyable and exciting.

"Troll Bridge": it is not a story for children and leaves the reader w
Hafsa Sabira
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I read a novel, I go through the author's introductory part where he mentions why he wrote this novel or what inspired him or who are the intended readers etc. This time too, I started with Gaiman's own views on this collection of short stories. It was very enjoyable to read what he has to say about loving short stories but he also mentioned that this collection is for children, a point I strongly disagree to.

First of all, as Gaiman predicted already, I didn't like all the stories. The stor
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. I read this and followed along with the audiobook at the same time because Neil Gaiman narrates it. It was a pretty great decision on my part if I do say so myself. When I picked this up, I thought for sure that this was a children’s short story collection but it is absolutely not. It dealt with a lot more darker themes in some of the stories than I was expecting which was awesome.

This collection includes 11 short stories, but unfortunately for me I only enjoyed four of them.

-The Case o
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't enjoy most of these as much the second time but I enjoyed Chivalry even more. Its not a bit scary but is sure entertaining. The one about the Black Cat scared me even more the second time!
I had forgotten most all of them but they came back to me as I read.
Anastasia Alén
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no words to describe how masterfully these stories were put together. Gaiman never lets me down...can't believe I only read this now!
Serena.. Sery-ously?
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
M is for magic.

N is for Natty-Neil.
G is for Genius-Gaiman.
Manuel Alfonseca
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
ENGLISH: A collection of ten short stories and a poem. The best story, for me, was "The Price," where a cat plays the leading role. "How to sell the Ponti Bridge" and "Chivalry" I also liked. "The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds" is a mystery story, whose characters are those of well-known English songs for children, written in the style of Peter Cheyney. "October in the chair," a tribute to Ray Bradbury, is a very sad tale about a mistreated boy. I did not like the end.

"The Witch's Heads
Monique
M Is For Magic is a collection of short stories, including a story lifted from Neil Gaiman's award-winning children's novel, The Graveyard Book. I enjoyed this book immensely.

My personal favorite would be The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds, a retelling of children's nursery rhymes, but which mainly told of the mystery of who murdered Humpty Dumpty. [Okay, I'll give you just a few seconds here to recite the nursery rhyme to yourself... ;) ] Indeed, the nursery rhyme merely said Humpty Dum
Philip
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Clive Barker tells us "Gaiman is a star," but he sure is not shining in this book. Granted, some of the stories are entertaining. I especially liked Sunbird, the tale about the Epicurean club that had sampled every taste imaginable and have nothing left to try. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Witches Headstone which Gaiman introduces as, "...a story that will be part of my next children's book, The Graveyard Book, about a boy who lives in a graveyard and is brought up by dead people..." I imagine ...more
Luann
On the whole these were nice enough stories - some stranger than others. None of them were incredibly memorable, but none of them were incredibly horrible, either.

My favorite short story in this collection was Chivalry, followed by How to Sell the Ponti Bridge. My least favorite was Sunbird - the one with the Epicurean Club.

I was interested that the first three stories each had a character named Jack. I thought the trend might continue throughout the book, but it didn't.

My favorite part of the
Jim
2.5 stars. This is titled as a homage to Ray Bradbury. The stories were OK, but didn't speak to me the way Bradbury's did. The last one was the best & could have easily become a novella. I wish it had. Instead, the end was rather abrupt & unsatisfying. Some of the stories were quite off the wall & kind of fun.

Gaiman read this himself & his voice is great. Unfortunately whoever equalized the sound didn't have old ears or any noise in mind. When Gaiman's voice dropped low, I could
Skylar Phelps
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pleasant fun! I love short stories and Neil Gaiman is a master of short fiction. His flowery, artsy writing has always enthralled me and I am extremely envious of his talent and imagination.

His prose has a cozy feel to it; like you're sitting in an armchair at home by the hearth, but oftentimes the stories come with a bite to them that I quite enjoy. It's like you're being lulled into a dream full of wonder and magic only to find that you're not the one actually dreaming at all. Surreal, spooky
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Short and to the point: M for Magic is good but all of the stories except for the Graveyard Book excerpt are in other recent Gaiman short story collections. That being said, the selection from the Graveyard Book has me dying to read the rest of it.
X
Oct 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed by this book as I had already read half of the stories in Smoke and Mirrors and The Graveyard Book. It's a nice collection though, and I really liked some of the stories.

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
A great collection of short stories. Gaiman has such a wonderful gift for words, and it shown through in Troll Bridge and October in the Chair. Lovely, and I highly recommend. If you're starting to read his work this should be one of the first on your list.
Kimberley doruyter
some of the stories i already read in smoke and mirrors
so only a couple of the stories were new to me

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • A Feast of Sorrows
  • We Never Talk about My Brother
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Happily Ever After
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
“Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you'll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.” 2413 likes
“I fell for her like a suicide from a bridge.” 99 likes