Start by marking “The Sandman: King of Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Sandman: King of Dreams

The Sandman: King of Dreams

4.61  ·  Rating details ·  11,539 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The first and only comic book to receive the World Fantasy Award, The Sandman continues to break new ground in the comic book medium and beyond. Author Alisa Kwitney explores its beginnings and chronicles the comic's emergence as a unique and undeniable force in the literary world. Richly illustrated, this history shows how Gaiman and The Sandman's gifted artists, such as ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman

Justus
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Its a nice book, but if I wanted a picture book of sandman I'd just go to my bookshelf and well...read the damn thing. That said its nicely done, and the text is ok for moving things along. No beef with anything, just "ok", nice easy reading. If you're really interested in the series, I'd strongly recommend the book by Hy Bender which is half synopsis/commentary and half interviews with Neil Gaiman.
Dan
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Basically this is just a best of...meaning that it highlights cover art and scenes. It also summarizes all of this material by volume.
Rafi
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's like getting re-acquainted with an old friend.
You laugh at the sappy moments, cry at the happy ones. Nostalgic, you shed a tear as you realize how you had to bid farewell.
☺Trish
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awesome art, interesting tidbits of info, and a revealing & really clever intro from Gaiman, himself - definitely worth a look, especially for those new to "The Sandman"!
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Still reading this as I reread my way through the Sandman stories, but I'm tired of having it show on my to-read list indefinitely.

The sections on early volumes are informative and interesting, with lots of information on earlier comics drawn on by Sandman and influences. I knew most of the mythology/literature side, but I picked up this companion because I wanted to know the comics side, which is from an era of comics I don't know much about.

Unfortunately, the companion doesn't maintain the sam
Adriana
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
An incomplete Cliff’s Notes disguised as an art book/study of a great piece of graphic literature.
Sure, there are some great single images, but most of the art is panels or entire pages from the graphic novel, things you’ve already seen and probably have in your possession.
The comments and analysis reads a lot like a book report. You get a small recap of what each volume is about with some comments and interpretations but no new information apart from anecdotes from the production side of things
Jaimie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No matter how many non-fiction books I read about the Sandman series, I always find something new in their pages. In this book the best bits are in the pictures, specifically the rather large collection of Sandman-inspired art from elsewhere than the series. Many of the pictures are by artists who worked on the Sandman comics, but since ther eis very little standalone art in the books (and the normal resting place for standalone art - the covers - are all done by Dave McKean) this book gives the ...more
Helen
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This isn't the whole series but is a book about the series with lots of sample pages. It follows the original sequence and we see the characters as they were introduced. The artwork, by several artist, is remarkable and quite enough to send a new reader out to see what remains of this wonderful work. The only reason it wasn't 5 stars is the frustration level created by knowing that it will be sheer luck or great labour that will bring forth any of the original material.
iamtedae
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fan of Sandman
Shelves: favorites
This is a "special features" book, overviewing Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" chronicles; I haven't yet read the Sandman books, but if I hadn't already planned to, this book would have gotten me interested. There is some very lovely artwork included, interesting background on the development of and inspiration for the stories and characters, and what I really like, no fan-snobbery. It's an equal-opportunity welcome.
Kirsten
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is a pretty book, but it's very short on content. I thought it would have more behind-the-scenes information, but really it's mostly just a synopsis of the entire Sandman series. The artwork is very nice, though, and somewhat makes up for the lack of substance. I'm really glad, though, that I only paid a fraction of the cover price of $35.
David Melbie
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: First-timers and longtime fans alike!
Recommended to David by: I'm a big fan.
This is a 'coffee table' book, full of beautiful color excerpts from the series, as well as other graphics.

Alisa's synopses of the series is a more concise and 'to-the-point' version than Hy Bender's version, which is still the most definitive. This would be the one to show someone who has never seen or heard of the King of Dreams. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Mcstay
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
maybe unfair for me to rate this book. I just cant seem to get in the flow of reading graphic novels. Sometimes I read out of order, other times I don't look at the pictures closely enough, and miss things. I can't tell the difference between some characters. There must be a flaw in my brain...I just can't seem to enjoy them.
Frank Deschain
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a great overview of the entire series. I felt that it could have delved just a little bit deeper and packed a little bit more analysis and content into it. However, it makes the series accessible to old and new, and is a very nice work of art to have out for the guests. I would recommend this book.
Sookie
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Its a gift one can give to a Sandman series fan and that's about it. There is nothing more to it than it looks good on bookshelf with other Sandman books.

Its pretty much a book with pictures, a storyline that's mundane and some great art work.

Garrett
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful peek into some of the thinking and design behind the brilliant Sandman comics. My only complaint is that there wasn't more content, but what there is provides a wonderful view into Gaiman's brilliance.
Jesse
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illistrated
I've always wanted to read Sandman. I inherited this book, and it has only peaked my curiosity all the more.

This is a beautifully illustrated and narrated teaser.

I can't wait to really dive into some of these storkies
Ron Del Rosario
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: vertigo
This was actually my first Sandman book. I initially thought it was a compilation of several volumes but was surprised to find out that it was in fact the "history" of The Sandman.

Great coffee table book, though.
Becky Loader
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed seeing the art work included here, which was not a part of the graphic novels. I am very intrigued by the story cycle in the Sandman graphic novels, so it was nice to read about some of the back story.
Kerem Soyyılmaz
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the best
Wizard
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I was using this book for a paper. I technically couldn't finish it without getting spoilers either, so a good portion of it will have to be saved for later.
Dorothy
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Now I must read the comics. Very enjoyable reading.
Keon
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous coffee table book.
Trisha
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of the entire series, including the wonderful artwork.
Michael B Tager
Jul 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Meh. Why read a retrospective when you can read the series? Just a fancy cash-grab. I'm glad I didn't pay for this.
Anna
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A good overview of sandman with some amazing pictures.
Priscilla
Sep 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
amazon.com
Nate
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If there's one graphic novel series you read, it should be this one.
Tim
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This basically a "highlights & overview" of a great comic series I was somewhat familiar with. I suppose it did it's job in that I would like to read the complete,entire,& whole series.
Bridgett
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nice summary of the Sandman series, but a bit shorter and less detailed than I would have liked.
Mark Terry
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice sampling of the story of the prince of stories. For those who have read the series, a pleasant reminiscence. An intriguing introduction for those who have not.
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 7: Sanctuary
Alisa Kwitney is an American author.

Kwitney was born in New York City. She graduated from Wesleyan University with a Bachelor of Arts in English and from Columbia University's Master of Fine Arts Fiction Writing Program. Kwitney was also an editor for Vertigo, the mature/dark fantasy branch of DC Comics. Harper-Collins published her first novel, Till The Fat Lady Sings, in 1991. This was also her
More about Alisa Kwitney...