Start by marking “Agnes Quill: An Anthlogy of Mystery” as Want to Read:
Agnes Quill: An Anthlogy of Mystery

Agnes Quill: An Anthlogy of Mystery

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Agnes Quill is the story of a teenage detective, the haunted city she lives in, the strange cases she solves and the ghosts who help, hinder or just plain annoy her. Set in Legerdemain -- a congested, fog-filled, cobblestone-paved Victorian city built around a cemetery the size of Central Park -- Agnes' adventures include confrontations with trapped spirits, cursed souls, ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by SLG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Agnes Quill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agnes Quill

Miriam
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts, graphic
Agnes is a girl who can see ghosts, as could her deceased grandfather. She lives at a Curiosity Shop in the strange city of Legerdemain with a strange dude called Lorik and ekes out a living working as a detective, both for haunted or cursed individuals or for the ghosts themselves.

The book consists of several short (some VERY short) stories by different artists. It is explained that these were developed from oral accounts to "researchers" so that eliminated the annoyance I often feel reading t
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 3 stars
Art: 3 stars

This is part graphic novel and part illustrated diary. Each chapter is a separate story in the life of Agnes Quill, an orphaned female teen-ager who has inherited her grandfather's curiosity shop and supernatural detective agency, as well as his ability to see and communicate with ghosts. Some of the art is rather intricate but the quality of the printed back-and-white book is poor, making it a challenge to discern what is going on, especially in the two longer stories
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
In this book, stories and illustrations were done by different artists. I had trouble figuring out what was going sometimes in the stories illustrated by Jason Ho and Jeff Zornow. Perhaps some color instead of black and white would have helped there. The stories mostly were so-so. I did like the character of Agnes, however, and the whole premise of a detective who works for ghosts. I'm a word-oriented rather than a picture-oriented person, and I would have gotten more enjoyment out of these stor ...more
Kristen
A strange graphic novel that follows a girl who can see ghosts and how she solves mysteries for them. The graphics weren't too great, but the plot was interesting.
Dawn
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection a lot, and am disappointed to find out there is no more. It feels like such a great beginning but I want to know more. Many unanswered questions and adventures are out there! At least we have this bit, and I am introduced to a new author who perhaps has some other works of interest.
Talitha
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found the concept to be really intriguing, but wasn’t engaged by the actual comic. I wanted there to be more development of the narratives. This may be more an issue because I’m not all that familiar with the genre, however. After reading more comics I may be able to give this a more fair review.
Heather
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The comics anthology was good, but the mishmash of journal entries at the end was weak-felt like a crutch to include all that explanatory text. Stories 1&3 are hard to read because of how much blacks there is—some images just didn’t print well.
Katelyn
Quirky, entertaining, and just a bit spooky. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Ariel Caldwell
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Lovely, weird, creepy. Agnes is a fun character - girl detective amongst the world of ghosts but still living. Great premise. I was glad the art is by different people.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: high school girls
Shelves: graphic-novels
I ordered this from OhioLink after seeing it on a recommended list (now I can't recall where!). I'd probably recommend it to teen girls with a dark sense of humor who like Emily the Strange and Rachel Cohn (not for the supernatural aspect, but the spunky girl aspect).

Agnes Quill is a 16-year-old orphan who lives in the strange city of Legerdemain ("sleight of hand") in a curiosity shop that she inherited from her grandfather. As she tries to figure out who she is and where she fits in the world,
Juliette
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: infm208
This graphic novel is a series of four unrelated stories, each of which is illustrated by a different artist. The stories center on a teenaged girl who can see ghosts. Set in the city of Legerdemain, Agnes has developed a detective business by helping these ghosts sort out their unfinished business, so that they can then move on to the afterlife. The first story is a combination of two entitled “The Mummified Heirloom” and “The Divided Man” in which Agnes tries to help the spirit of an old woman ...more
Brittany
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Agnes Quill is a teenager who has a gift. She can see and talk to ghosts. She uses this gift in an old Curiosity Shop, where the dead can call on her to help them accomplish things they can not do on their own. This is an interesting illustrated collection of four stories about her adventures in aiding the dead. There are also some of her journal entries in the back as well as guest art portraying Agnes Quill. Agnes is a unique and strong heroine in the story of her life. She is one who has a gi ...more
Arminzerella
Agnes Quill is a teen detective who can see dead people. After losing her parents to influenza, and subsequently meeting her grandfather’s restless spirit, she learns of her talents and runs away to Legerdemain – a city chock full of ghosts that need her services. She sets up her offices in the small shop (attached to the small castle) where her grandfather once worked and lived. This is a collection of some of her adventures, told through artwork, and journal entries, and information gleaned by ...more
Sue Smith
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The best part of this story - or collection of stories as it were - is that it's done through the 'eyes' of different artists. So everyone sees her as the same, but with their own version of how that should be. It's a great idea and makes the graphic side of the stories quite enjoyable.

The stories are introduced by a mysterious group that has decided to follow Agnes' adventures and do 'a compilation of some of her exploits', hence the different artists and their visual views. It's followed up by
Kricket
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Each chapter of this book is a different story about Agnes Quill, who has inherited the ability to communicate with ghosts. Each chapter is also illustrated by a different graphic novelist, which was a cool idea, but it didn't work for me. I felt like I was encountering different characters each time.

I really did enjoy the chapters illustrated by Dave Roman (who wrote the stories) and Raina Telgemeier, of my beloved babysitters club graphic novel revival. I couldn't follow the style of the other
Kate
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I found this on a website of recommended horror graphic novels. It contains a few stories, then a journal and character descriptions make up the other half of the book.

... I wasn't exactly a fan. The stories all start in the middle of some action that seems to me would have been more exciting than the actual story. I felt like the journal entries and character descriptions would have been helpful at the beginning, as I was dumped in the middle of the story trying to figure everything out when t
Dawn
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: graphic novel fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel has a great premise that falls short in the execution. It's the story of a girl with the ability to communicate with the dead. She lives in the fictional city of Legerdemain, and works as a detective in her grandfather's antiquities shop. This anthology features 4-5 tales, illustrated by different graphic artists. It is quite possible that my perception of the book is due to the fact that I am very new to graphic novels. I felt that such an intriguing premise deserves an equal ...more
Orrin Grey
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Recommended to me by The Groovy Age of Horror, collecting the webcomic of the same name, this sounded like about the best thing ever: a girl detective who can see ghosts solving mysteries in a Dickensian metropolis called Legerdemain.

There are a lot of nice things going on, and the art is mostly good (if sometimes a little hard to follow), but for whatever reason things never gel into something more than the sum of its potential. At least, not in this volume. But I'll be keeping my eye out in ca
Jessalyn King
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Story 1: Loved the art style. Beatrice was hilarious. Slightly creepy otherwise, but a good introduction to the character and her work.
Story 2: I love Raina Telgemeier! This was adorable!
Story 3: I liked the character design and the story, but the art was a bit hard to decipher... Maybe because the backgrounds were so detailed?
Story 4: drawn by the writer. I actually preferred this art to the last one. It was less skillful, but it was easier to understand. Also the story was really sweet.
Back Ma
Victoria
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book features a really interesting concept. Agnes and the world she inhabits is very likable, and the written account of her exploits at the end of the book is useful and interesting. The problem is that the individual stories, which are not necessarily given in chronological time, do not necessarily hang together well. This is not unexpected, given that each is from a different artist. The art, unlike the writing, ranges from very good (Jason Ho) to pretty awful.

This is a fun, q
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This spooky and interesting graphic novel about a young detective who can see and speak with ghosts was a fun read. I particularly appreciate the traditional style of comic illustrating (this superhero comics) intermixed with a more cartoony style from story to story. It was a bit startling to switch reading gears after the last illustrated comic story to the prose of the last two chapters. Perhaps if they were interspersed between chapters, it wouldn't have been so jarring.
Brian
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
There are several stories written and illustrated by different people, so each story feels unique, the binding thread to it all is Agnes Quill a private detecting who works for ghosts and spirits. I quite enjoyed reading this rather macabre version of Encyclopedia Brown.
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I grabbed this from the library on a whim, and read it with no preconceptions. Then I didn't read the cover blurb, so I went into it pretty blind. Anyhow, it's a fun concept, and the literary world can always use more kickass girl detectives. Each story was illustrated by a different artist, and I liked the visual style of some more than others.
Lindsey
Interesting concept, but I found that having the anthology spilt into sections (i.e. illustrations, journal entries, visual depictions) didn't work too well for me. I might have preferred having it all mixed up. Agnes was highly likeable, however, and the stories (or the mysteries, I should say) were enjoyable.
Susan Rose
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these different stories, in different drawing styles all centering around Agnes Quill. I really liked the central character's humour.

However,although I did like the differing representations of her in some of the drawings which were a lot more sexualised than the others, I just didn't believe she was supposed to be sixteen.

msjoonee
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here's a little gem of a graphic novel. Agnes Quill is a teenage detective who just happens to be able to see...and communicate with...dead people. This can be quite an advantage in her line of work! Illustrated by various artists, Agnes' adventures are just the thing for a coffee break on a rainy day. Charming, creepy fun.
sixthreezy
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool little read. Would like to see a well-polished black and white graphic novel with these characters. It could be an awesome series if Roman were up for it. The illustrations in this book are incredible when it's in that realistic style, and the cartoon styles are also easy on the eyes.
quinnster
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a cool story. Agnes Quill can see ghosts and gets hired to help them with their unfinished business. But the art in the first and third stories was too busy for me. Being in black and white sometimes it was hard to discern the details in the drawings.
Ana
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. Loved the short story format but I totally got the feeling that there was more story to it and I was missing it. Like there was another book that was written before it. Oh well. It was still very enjoyable!
Melissa
3.5 Cool concept with all the additional material at the end which really tied together the different stories. Wish there was another book about Agnes to check out!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain
  • Clubbing
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • The Carnival Wars (GloomCookie, #4)
  • Brain Camp
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • Token
  • Pitch Black
  • Sidescrollers
  • Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4)
  • My Dead Girlfriend: Volume 1 "A Tryst of Fate"
  • Zebrafish
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
Dave Roman is the author of several graphic novels including Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, Teen Boat!, Jax Epoch, and Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery. He has contributed stories to Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Nursery Rhyme Comics, and is the co-author of two New York Times bestselling graphic novels, X-Men: Misfits and The Last Airbender: Zuko’s Story. Roman is a graduate of the School of ...more