Start by marking “Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)

Death of a Pirate King

(The Adrien English Mysteries #4)

Gay bookseller and reluctant amateur sleuth Adrien English's writing career is suddenly taking off. His first novel, Murder Will Out, has been optioned by notorious Hollywood actor Paul Kane.

But when murder makes an appearance at a dinner party, who should be called in but Adrien's former lover, handsome closeted detective Jake Riordan, now a Lieutenant with LAPD -- which
Paperback, 1st Edition, 248 pages
Published September 13th 2008 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Pirate King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Pirate King

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
The Best of Gay Romance
3,201 books — 3,309 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
746 books — 695 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
Baba
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review completed January 29, 2013*****Loved it--my favorite book in this series!

photo tumblr_mb6zuetilF1qefo74o1_500_zps1017ebfe.gif

Death of a Pirate King is the fourth book in the Adrien English series. Adrien is recovering from pneumonia. It's been about two years since our bookstore owner, part-time writer, and amateur sleuth had last been involved in a murder investigation. Adrien loves to write books but it's not enough to make a living at it. That being said, Adrien did achieve a success though. He sold a book that he wrote to the movi
Shile
5++++++ stars for this 3rd buddy re-read

Buddy- Reading this series is the best experience ever. Discussing the story, getting different readers POVs , is the best therapy session ever.

Thank you to my buddy readers: Elena, Linda, Moony, Rosa, Teal and elusive Xia for the experience. So much fun.

description

I never knew how much i needed to buddy read this series, until we started reading it.

Jake/ James, i am no longer angry at you... maybe a little disappointed but the anger is slowly melting away. Baby ste
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

**3.5 stars**

For most of my friends, this was their favorite book in the series. However, for me, it was just too much drama for this mama.

If I want to see train wreck, dysfunctional relationships with little emotional satisfaction I'll tune into my real life friends' relationship problems, thankyouverymuch.

In my opinion, it was too little too late, Jake.

And let me get this straight, Jake- I'm supposed to swoon over the scraps of yourself that you finally, under duress, give Adrien?? Yeah,
Kat
This book turned me into a quivering cry baby. I cried because of a blow-job in The Hell you Say and now I cried some more during the love scenes in Death of a Pirate King.

Something must be wrong with me.

Or something is very right with Josh Lanyon.

The last book that actually made my eyes water was GWTW. And let’s face it, that one is SUPPOSED to make you cry. Lanyon is something else. Nothing indicates that he carefully steers you towards the eye of an emotional tornado. His books are not your
Rosa, really
Josh Lanyon is an evil bastard who enjoys torturing innocent readers everywhere. He needs to be added to the Evil Overlord list for many reasons, most of all for the creation of that creature, Paul Fucking Kane. Kane truly is the fruit of the devil. (And yeah, Lanyon, that means you’re the devil.)

But first: Hey, Paul!

description

A double-handed fuck you very much!

P.S. YOU’RE KILLING ME, LANYON.

In other words, I have never enjoyed angsting over a book so much.

(view spoiler)
~Mindy Lynn~
5 *****

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD.. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

This is definitely my favorite in this series. I absolutely loved the mystery and all that chaos that was surrounding Adrien.

THE DRAMA!!!! It was strong in this one and instead of rolling my eyes and being annoyed with it, I reveled in it. I really liked that it was a dinner mystery type of story.

As much as JL frustrates me with these characters and their choices, I also have much love for the fact that none of them have it easy. They are al
Wendy
5.png (7307×1388)

Re-read many times :P

It has been two years since Adrien and Jake parted ways. Now it seems they will come face to face once more since Adrien got himself mixed up in yet another murder investigation.

After the epic fail that is Jake, Adrien has tried to move on with his life...and he has been doing this with Guy, the professor dude we met in the previous book. I think Guy was oke guy but nothing special. Healthwise Adrien isn't doing really well... he is still recovering from a nasty pneumonia, w
Lenore
In my review of The Hell You Say I said I considered it the best installment in the Adrien English series. And I meant it. It was better than the previous two books. But Death of a Pirate King? It beats them all. THIS is the best book in the series.

The mystery wasn't very much a mystery, but it was well executed, and besides, who cared about the whodunit when there Adrien and Jake were, meeting again after two years, sparks flying and tension and angst pouring off the pages in waves. I wouldn't
Snjez
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Well, this was a very frustrating and emotional read. But in a good way.

I honestly can't decide how I felt about Jake in this one. I liked how much he has grown as a character since book 1. I loved how different he was with Adrien, the moments between them were amazing. But at the same time he had no right to ask for anything. And I really hated one particular thing we learned about him. I didn't understand that and it bothered me more than anything else.

There are no doubts about how I felt ab
Dia
4,5 stars

I loved this one much more than the previous book. I was really invested into the mystery here. As much as I resented Jake Riordan, my anger started to fade.
Again the writing was great! I was glued to the pages!! Couldn't put it down. I wanted more scenes with Adrien and Jake, and I am sad Jake didn't grovel... I hated him big time for what he did to Adrien and he's SO hard to read!!

Anyway, this series is pretty amazing but I just wished we'd get more romance. Looking forward to readin
Bookwatcher
Adrien will have to convince Jake someone is not what appears
[image error]

I loved this book and so far is the best of the serie in my view.

Jake is less asshole... but he is still an asshole and annoyed me a lot

Adrien is more sick...

Adrien's mother is more annoying...

and Adrien love life is a mess...
[image error]

all the old same problems to Adrien... BUT the mystery and the prose was (in my modest opinion) the best of the serie! It's certainly in my favorite shelf!

Loved it, ca
Martin
I have been DYING to write a review on this book, even though I probably posted a status update on every single page anyway.

Jesus, I LOVED this book!!

Every Adrien English book is absolutely amazing, both from the mystery and the romance side, but with 'Death of a Pirate King' the characters have matured and finally reached a stage where they are able to discuss things and be brave enough to risk something by addressing things directly. God knows, Adrien and Jake are not exactly natural communic
Moony Eliver
Update Nov 17, 2019: Read #2
This book is the reason to read the series. Fight me.

——————————
Fucking hell, this book was perfect. It's the only one in the series that was a full five stars for me. I was never tempted to skim the mystery bits, because that part of the plot was fascinating and had significant relevance to the relationship. I was WRUNG OUT in this one. Multiple times.

Non-spoiler review of The Adrien English Mysteries series:
A Tale of Two Genres. And also a cautionary tale about not t
Ingie
Written May 29, 2014

4.8 Stars - A stunning and very slowly told love tale -
so gripping and beautiful to experience

Book #4

Here we go again - another adventure with the gay bookseller and reluctant amateur sleuth Adrien English.
My fourth (of five) novel in this series in just a couples of days.

Death of a Pirate King starts two years after the last book ended. When we last met Adrien in book #3 - The Hell You Say (4 stars) It ended pretty sad and I was of course eager to know how it all would kee
Natasha
Sigh.

I'm tired. This series is emotionally draining. I'm going to try and wrap this review up right quick because this book was so far my least favorite of the series.

I'm tired of this bullshit. I'm drained. I'm exhausted. And I'm starting to not care.
There were exciting parts, but too many of them were overshadowed by my blood lust.

Not looking at me, he growled, “Oh, go to hell.”
I raised my water in a toast. “Sure. I’ll follow the trail of bread crumbs you’re scattering.

Adrien, I love you,
LenaRibka

The book 4 of Adrien English Mystery seeries is the best sequel for me so far!

I join all 5 and 4 stars exciting reviews and confirm that for me EVERYTHING, really EVERYTHING in the book 4 was good:

*The plot.
*Adrien. (He was the best!!!)
*Jake.( I know, a lot of readers won't share my opinion. Though, LIKING doesn't mean UNDERSTANDING! And I LIKE him. But I swear by God, I didn't understand his behaviour in many situation!!!)
*And of course- the writing, as always.

Just a few words from myself:

Brian Johnson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Debra
By the time I was 12% through this book I thought I could not hate any character more than I hated Jake Riordan. By about 35% the unthinkable happened and the ice around my heart began to crack just a little, but the ending of the book just floored me and finally put Jake on the fast track to redemption. It felt like everything came together in this book and the emotions felt real. We get to see a different side of both Adrien and Jake. Definitely my favorite of the series so far.

Potential book/
Hollis
Finally, a mystery I actually liked.

Oh, and also, like, some interesting relationship stuff, too. I mean, for the first 40% I sent many many capslock-y screenshot messages to my buddy reader pal but after a certain point it became, well, the point of no return. I couldn't tear myself away to pee, much less text.

I'm not saying I forgive or feel he's redeemed himself but in this instalment Jake.. gave me pause. Sometimes. Again, see aforementioned capslocky messages full of rage, but otherwise?
Adam
This was me while listening to the audiobook for 'Death of a Pirate King':

description

I wasn't sure how I felt about Adrien. I wasn't sure how I felt about Jake. I didn't know where the murder mystery was going.

And most importantly, I had no clue what to think about Adrien and Jake together. It also didn't help that this time around Adrien was just as irresponsible as Jake.

Yet those misgivings didn't matter at all, because I had no problem with sitting back and watching the shit-show unfold. Do I believe th
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
BR reread 5/2/19: This book, y'all. This stupid, frustrating, heartbreaking, inspiring book.

Original review:

All in favor of a Paul Kane pinata, raise your hands.

I'm surprised at how much of this I've forgotten, considering so much of it is permanently seared into my brain. I remember this mostly as the first time I felt sorry for Jake, and really pitied and admired him. He's a frustrating guy, is Jake Riordan. Adrien's kind of frustrating too, cause he does have this tendency to push everyone a
Anna (Bananas)
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, thriller-mystery
The sexual tension between these two. Give them a few seconds alone and it's on.
 photo tumblr_meis22J33K1qiaxovo2_400_zpsc27b8a6e.jpg
 photo adrienandjake_zps3ee4609c.jpg
And um...
(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Lola
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When Adrien dies, his grave will say: "Here lies the most unfortunate motherfucker ever lived in this city."

He's just got a terrible life: No permanent bf, friends getting murdered, slept with a serial killer, heart condition, a mother that seriously needs to have some pills, annoying police always on his ass, always wrapped up in crime....and I can go on...

Whatever god watching over this man...have mercy...lol
Zuzu
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
9% - You've got a little bit of an attitude, Mr. English, if you don't mind my saying so." "I don't mind."
-----
Good try, Jake, but I have long memory. LOL
L-D
This series was completely stressful to me. I read this entire book feeling like a band was constricting around my chest. Jake is the detective and former love interest of the protagonist, bookstore owner Adrien English. In the last book, Jake left Adrien because Jake knocked up his girlfriend and wanted to have a "normal" life. So he married her and I (I mean Adrien) was devastated. But good riddance, right? Wrong. Jake is back in this book and he makes me madder than ever. The only reason I co ...more
Breann
After this reread, Adrien & Jake get 5 stars.

AE is better the second time around. And Jake on audio? *grunts* S'good.
____________________________________

"I'm not insane. This is very simple, very straightforward. Provided he doesn't kill me, it's foolproof."

Adrien seems to find trouble no matter where he goes. Adrien's book, Murder Will Out, has been potentially picked up for a movie script. Adrien is at a dinner party that features some Hollywood execs and what do ya know? The guy next to Adri
* A Reader Obsessed *
It's been two years since Jake and Adrien have seen each other and it takes another murder to throw them back together. Once again Adrien finds himself smack dab in the middle of the investigation. Understandably this reunion brings back old hurts and anger. His reactions more jaded and cautious as new, painful revelations come into play.

It seemed at times, I felt sorry for everyone. (view spoiler)
Katerina
Re-read in October 2018.

It's the best one in this series.....

“My heart’s worse. I have to have surgery.”
Jake’s face stilled. “When?” he asked. His voice came out thick and unwilling.
I shook my head. “I haven’t talked to the surgeon yet. It would be soon, I guess.”
He had sucked in a sharp breath when I said I hadn’t talked to the surgeon. He let it out carefully and said, “What the hell are you doing?”
I smiled, thinking how odd it was that he was the only person in the world I could say this
Susan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5...we're getting there! Even better this time...

I've grown fond of Adrien...I feel protective of him. I hate Jake. More so in this book than in any of the others...and that says a lot. My heart broke numerous times alongside Adrien as Jake continued to be his jerk self.

But, Adrien proved he's smarter and stronger than we might have even expected in the previous books. The murder on the high seas (and in high society) mystery saga was fun and interesting and not overly in-your-face as in books
Sara
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No time for a full review.

I will just say...
It's about time.
I hate Paul Kane.
I still love the holy fuck out of Jake Riordan, no matter what.
Poor Adrien, again, and the shit he gets himself into.
Lanyon makes me cry during his sex scenes.
It's about time.
I honestly skimmed a lot of the mystery because I wanted more Jake time.
I don't feel bad for Guy, I never warmed up to him. He's not Jake.
It's about time!!!!

Moving on to the last book. Come to mama, Jake my boy.

• The Keeper of Bees (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords #5)
  • Wayward (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #4)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • Transactional Dynamics (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #3)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • Criminal Past (Hazard and Somerset #6)
  • Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)