Start by marking “Who Wrote the Gospels?” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Who Wrote the Gospels?

Randel McCraw Helms

Who Wrote the Gospels?

The names we associate with the Gospel writers are all second-century guesses. If this comes as a surprise, welcome to the cutting edge of modern biblical scholarship. There is a lot more to understanding and interpreting one of the most influential collection of works in Western history than the simple viewpoints we were taught as children. Nearly a century after the four ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Millennium Press

To ask other readers questions about Who Wrote the Gospels?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Wrote the Gospels?

Start your review of Who Wrote the Gospels?
Brett
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, religion
You may want to take my endorsement of Who Wrote the Gospels with a grain of salt, as Helms was my instructor for several classes I took as an undergrad and one of my favorites. As a professor, he was great at connecting with students, giving fascinating lectures, and connecting literature to the world we live in now. So I'm predisposed to like his stuff. His Bible as Literature class changed the way I read a book that I had been familiar with all my life.

Who Wrote the Gospels is a nice, short,
jcg
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Helms has a tendancy to repeat himself a lot, but the arguments are fairly well presented. The proposal that Luke and Acts were written by a woman is great fun. The book prompts me to read the works of other researchers into gospel origins to see whether Helms' ideas are viable or not.
Socraticgadfly
Two stars not so much because it's bad itself (it's really a three-star book) but to offset the uncritical five-star reviews.

Helms does have two BIG problems.

One is in common with many other critical scholars of the NT, who claim the "we passages" in Acts have not been solved.

Au contraire!

A.N. Sherwin-White, in "Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament," demonstrated just what the "we" passages are.

Greco-Roman historical romance literature of the 1st-2nd centuries CE ALWAYS shifted narra
Dave
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an interesting perspective on who wrote the gospels. I think it's pretty commonly accepted that we don't really know who wrote the gospels; this is just one of several perspectives. The names to the gospels were given roughly 100 years after the death of Jesus. Mark (being the first), was written about 70 AD, then Matthew and Luke roughly 10-15 years after that, and then John, about 90 AD. Again, these are just rough numbers, but commonly accepted.
I won't ruin the details, but Helms st
Marfita
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion-atheism
Helms certainly brought up material that was news to me! This is a slim work, and Helms has the same failing I had when I took algebra: he fails to show the math. Well, except when there is actual math.
Helms uses examples that can seem thin (Jesus reached the house where someone had died and everyone is crying. In Luke, Peter reaches the house where someone has died and everyone is crying - well, DUH Doesn't mean one story is based on the other!), or hilariously overwrought (Lazarus of Bethany i
Denise Louise
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Certainly a scholarly work, though I'm not sure some of the conclusions quite follow. It's good to be reminded of the circumstances of the writing of basically all history and how slanted the perspectives can get based on the authors and their purpose and bias. I only wish people in the various religions would acknowledge that much is wrong and much is unknown about our understanding of the past and not try to pretend and continue to reinterpret in order to try to make everything be "gospel".
Amy Alice
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Nag Hummadi Library, which was found in Egypt, is mostly unknown by today's Christian; this author painstakingly compares The Septuagint scripture to the Biblical Canon and sorts through the jumbled and ambiguous nature of the gospels. Far from eye-witness accounts and revised and changed by unknown authors, this is a must read for anyone that has read the Bible with a critical perspective.
Matthew
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some good ideas are presented in this brief history, however, the writing was rather stiff and uninviting. For a book that appeared to be specifically designed as an introduction to the subject, it was disappointing.
Penny
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read for Seekers Class fall of 2013. Luke blew my mind. Also that Luke-Acts should be read together. It gave me much to think about.
Michelle Hoogterp
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting. But I don't feel it actually answered the question...if there really was an available answer. But the history was interesting.
Garrett Tucker
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book makes the argument that one of the Gospels was written by a female hand. Excellent read.
Atiya
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
The argument that Luke was written by a woman is almost seamless.
Rochelle
Dec 30, 2011
Patrick Andersen
Nov 20, 2012
Virgowriter (Brad Windhauser)
Interesting look at the authors behind the Gospels and the works they drew from.
ron