Start by marking “Hands Up” as Want to Read:
Hands Up

Hands Up

Officer Ryan Quinn, a rookie raised in a family of cops, is on the fast track to detective until he shoots an unarmed black male. Now, with his career, reputation and freedom on the line, he embarks on a quest for redemption that forces him to confront his fears and biases and choose between conscience or silence.

Jade Wakefield is an emotionally damaged college
Published September 28th 2019 by WiDo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hands Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Up

Start your review of Hands Up
Noriko
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
First and foremost, I was pleasantly surprised by this book.
Hands Up, the sophomore novel from Stephen Clark was much more illuminating, gripping and thought-provoking than I initially anticipated. While my reading progress was miserably slow due to other commitments, but I can say this book is such an entertaining page-turner and pretty unputdownable once you pick it up.

The writing is consistently strong and solid, most importantly, it reads quite authentic and convincing.
This boo
Nicole
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read that took a couple twist I didn't see coming. Can't stand Jades ass. Wish it would have ended different.
Amie's Book Reviews
HANDS UP is a timely novel because of the very real increase in the number of police shootings of unarmed, young black men in the United States.

HANDS UP begins with Tyrell Wakefield being shot by rookie police officer Ryan Quinn. According to the police, the young man had punched Ryan's older partner and was attempting to grab his gun.

However, Tyrell's sister, Jade, finds that story very unlikely, as does her mother. So, Jade is determined to find out what really happened.

When Jade's materna
Lel Budge
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what category this fits into, it’s a social commentary, a police procedural, and a domestic drama. But it doesn’t matter really, what does matter is that it’s rather brilliant.

Ryan is a cop, he’s only been in the job a year and he’s partnered with Greg a long standing, experience cop. Oh and he’s abhorrently racist.

One day, Greg decides to pull over a young black guy, just because he wants to. Tyrell is unarmed, but Greg causes an altercation and as a result,
Hobart
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
“If you want to survive as a cop on these streets, then you need to check your conscience at the door. Sometimes there’s casualties. But if we don’t do whatever it takes to get the bad guy, then we could end up like your dad"

About a month ago, I posted about N. Lombardi, Jr.'s Justice Gone, and as I started to write this post, I noticed I was about to write something very similar here. But why re-invent the wheel? I'm just going to repeat the first few sentences
Samantha
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, reviewed
For more reviews, check out my blog: http://bookishvillainy.wordpress.com

Note: I’ve received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

(2,5 stars)

When rookie cop Ryan Quinn shoots an unarmed black man, it affects the lives of more people than just his own. While Ryan struggles with his guilt and tries to find redemption, the police do their best to cover up their mistake. The victim’s family is not about to let that happen; they want justice and t
Vigilant Reader
No.33 - 2019
Posted 10/12/2019

My Impressions: Excellent portrayal of racial emotions

Main Characters:
Tyrell Wakefield – Young black man shot during a bogus traffic stop.
Ryan Quinn – The young cop who shot Tyrell.
Jade Wakefield – Tyrell’s younger emotionally damaged sister.
Regina – Tyrell’s mother.
Kelly – Tyrell’s father

Alex  Jones
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the author Stephen Clark for the review request and copy of his new novel, 'Hands Up', in exchange for my honest review.

As per the blurb above, this book tells the story of 3 differing view points after a young black man is shot to death in the all to common event of a racially charged police shooting in the USA. As a reviewer from the UK I have no real experience of this kind of thing, I only see what the news channels, social media and the newspapers show me.
Christine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The lives of three people are changed forever on the fateful night when a white police officer kills a black motorist. Ryan Quinn and his partner Greg Byrnes make the traffic stop and suddenly Tyrell Wakefield is dead. When an eyewitness disputes the police officers account, Tyrell’s family including his sister Jade and his long missing father Kelly Randolph fight for justice. Through it all their lives will never be the same. Fear of the unknown, racism and violence make for a lethal combinatio ...more
Lauren Archer
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a book I received directly from the author and I am so happy I did as it was such a great story. This is so relevant to our news cycle and the author Stephen Clark gave us a very real glimpse from multiple POV’s about what happens when a white cop kills a black man in traffic stop that goes extremely wrong.

For my full review, please visit my blog at: http://obsessedbookaholic.com/2019/11...
Bookworm Blogger
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and addictive read that gave anticipation, suspense, drama, love and so much more. For my full review please click on the link below:

Emily Quinn
Stanley McShane
Nov 04, 2019
Megan (ReadingRover)
Nov 09, 2019
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Nov 10, 2019
Stephen Clark is a former award-winning journalist who served as a staff writer for the Los Angeles Times and as a politics editor for the Washington, D.C. bureau of FoxNews.com. Stephen grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and now lives in North Jersey with his wife and son.