Jump to ratings and reviews

Alex Hancock needs money to salvage his career. Finn West needs a spouse to stop his aunt from sabotaging his future. Can the two men make more of the fake marriage they enter into?

When Alex's business partner runs off to Mexico with their company funds, the lawyer has little choice but to return to his hometown of Twilight Falls to marry someone he’d never met in order to raise the money to save his business. What he didn’t expect was that the woman he was meant to wed would turn out to be a gorgeous, brooding man.

Finn had resigned himself to a life without love after his wife’s death from cancer. Wracked with guilt at never being able to satisfy her in bed, Finn is shocked when his body and his heart starts responding to the man he is tricked into marrying to stop his aunt from dissolving his trust fund.

Passions collide when the two men start exploring their relationship in ways neither of them anticipated. Can Alex convince Finn to embrace his sexuality and take a chance on them? Or will Finn run away from his only chance at true love?

Discover Alex and Finn’s story in the enthralling first novel in Twilight Falls, the new series by the author of the bestselling, contemporary romance series Nights

170 pages, ebook

First published September 20, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

A.M. Salinger

21 books142 followers
A.M. Salinger is the pen name of an Amazon bestselling author who has always wanted to write scorching hot contemporary romance and M/M urban fantasy. In 2018, she finally decided to venture to the steamy side. NIGHTS and TWILIGHT FALLS are contemporary M/M romance series written as A.M. Salinger. In 2021, she launches FALLEN MESSENGERS, her first M/M urban fantasy series written as Ava Marie Salinger. When she’s not dreaming up hotties to write about, you’ll find Ava creating kickass music playlists to write to, spying on the wildlife in her garden, drooling over gadgets, and eating Chinese.

Want to be the first to know about Ava’s new releases and get access to exclusive content, sneak previews, sales, and giveaways ? Then sign up to her Reader Group at https://www.amsalinger.com/subscribe/ or join Ava's Angels, her Facebook Group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/avasn...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
17 (8%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews
Profile Image for Nazanin.
1,038 reviews587 followers
October 7, 2019
4 Stars

Alex wasn’t in a good situation; his business partner of two years had embezzled from their law firm and ran off. Now he was in so much debt and needed money. He had a friend that said one of her clients is in need of a groom. The said client had to get married immediately to not lose his state. It just she’d forgotten to mention that the client was a guy and impotent…

Told in dual POV, 3rd person, it’s the first installment in the "Twilight Falls" series and can be read as a standalone. It’s well-written and hot, I liked both the main characters and the secondary ones and can’t wait to read their own stories. It’s a GFY story, an easy read, fast-paced and a bit angsty. Overall, it was an enjoyable read and hope you like it as well!
February 3, 2020
~3.5~

This is by no means a perfect book, but it was exactly what I needed: SEXY, easy, not too angsty, growly possessiveness, HEA. All that AND the fake husbands trope, which I happen to LURVE. I was in hog heaven, y'all.

Alex and Finn were super hot together, even if Finn's confession regarding his relationship with his deceased wife didn't make a whole lot of sense.

The miscommunication over the kiss also felt a little contrived. Finn jumped to conclusions, and Alex was too quick to leave.

One more thing I need to mention that drove me batshit crazy: using the men's professions to refer to them as people. Finn was "the artist," and Alex was "the lawyer" over and over again. It pulled me out of the story constantly because no one (but NO ONE!) thinks of their partner as "the doctor" or "the teacher" or "the accountant." It just doesn't happen and made me want to bang my head against a hard surface every fucking time.

Despite my misgivings, however, I enjoyed the story. Sometimes I like not thinking too hard and going with the flow. The raw and dirty sex (gay virgin alert!) didn't hurt things either.

I'll definitely be reading book 2.
Profile Image for Zoe.
1,750 reviews157 followers
October 7, 2019
Intimate, sensuous, and fervent!

Alex is a passionate, heartwarming novel that features the easy-going, cash-strapped Alex, and the resigned, creative Finn as they discover that sometimes when you take a chance and keep an open mind a marriage of convenience can quickly become something more.

The writing is light and sweet. The characters are flawed, supportive, and kind. And the plot is a sultry, push-pull tale full of red-hot chemistry, familial drama, friendship, understanding, support, acceptance, angst, sexy times, and tender moments.

Overall, Alex is a provocative, well written, emotive tale by Salinger that’s a wonderful start to the Twilight Falls series and an excellent reminder that love is not defined by time, age or gender.

Thank you A.M. Salinger & Xpresso Book Tours for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,557 reviews308 followers
October 10, 2019
As with all new to me authors, I never know what to expect when I go in to the first book but when I read the book synopsis I new it was something I was definitely intrigued by so I took the plunge and I am glad I did. Not only did I find a book that I liked and would recommend but I found an author that I would be willing to read again, win win!

Alex found himself in some trouble when his partner in their law firm ran off with all the funds in the companies bank account, so now he is need of a cash infusion and his friend Izzy has just the solution for him. Return to Twilight Falls and marry her client that is also in a bind.

Finn's wife passed away three years ago and his aunt is tired of seeing him locked away in his home living like a hermit so she tells him that if he doesn't get married in thirty days he's cut off, she's taking his trust fund away from him. OUCH!

Finn is a complicated person and at first I didn't know if he was just putting on an act or really naive about his thoughts and feelings, but he honestly just fell in love with his wife and never questioned anything but his love for her. That is totally admirable and respectable and he earned major props in my eyes and heart because of it.

I loved Alex and Finn together, their friendship started out rough because lets face it they didn't know one another before they got married so things were kind of mixed up there but they got passed that and a whole slew of other things.

This was a quick read for me, I was able to finish it in one day. The secondary characters were all so intriguing I cannot wait to read their books, Carter is up next and he's already on my TBR shelf.

This is a steamy romance so I would recommend it to those who enjoy MM Romance that are over 17.

Happy Reading!!!

Alex by A.M. Salinger

**I have voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book for my Blog, Nadine's Obsessed with Books**

You can see this and other Reviews I have written along with various cover reveals, excerpts, and giveaways here Nadine's Obsessed with Books
Profile Image for Sarah.
355 reviews
February 9, 2021
It was like a pearl-necklace of tropes, which I didn't mind much, except for when it made no sense (bascially everything dealing with Drake and Finn's response to reevaluating his sexuality).
But overall I liked it.
Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
September 14, 2019
4 Cranky Stars

What started as a marriage of convenience turned into a marriage of self-discovery for Finn West. He swore he was straight because he married his childhood sweetheart Catherine and then lost her. His great aunt is holding his inheritance over his head and says he must get married to obtain the rights to his money. He tells his friend Izzy that he doesn’t care who it is but he will pay them handsomely if they stick it out for 6 months. He is an artist and a recluse and is desperate so enters Alex Hancock. Alex swore since the accident he would never return to his hometown of Twilight Falls. When his business partner swindles him from the money of their law practice, he is in a tight spot. He agrees to Lizzy’s plan and soon learns he is marrying a man which is fine because Alex is openly gay. What happens over the next six months is life altering and finding who you truly are. The people who are important to you and the friends you left behind. It’s about renewal and finding love in the least likely person you expect.

I did read this book fast. It’s not a very deep intense read but it’s sweet and an experience. It’s steamy once Alex and Finn discover each other so be ready for that. You might need a fan!! I loved that Finn wasn’t opposed to the idea of being gay though he denied it at first. Alex was very patient with Finn. I loved the group of friends in this book and believe they have a fun story to tell. So if you love steamy sexy times and falling in love in the opposite way then Alex is for you.
Profile Image for Ravenclaw Silverstripe.
597 reviews25 followers
November 10, 2019
So this had potential but it really fell flat for me.

The character of Izzy and actually quite a few of the other female characters in this story came off as invasive as fuck.

I don’t know about everyone’s custom greeting when being introduced to strangers, but mine surely isn’t declaring to see two strangers fuck each other. Nor do I loudly exclaim “Who is the bottom?” or “I want to know every sticky detail [about your sex lives]”.

This smacks of fetishizing gay men to the point that you forget their sex lives ARE NOT YOUR BUSINESS.

That made me completely uncomfortable. Also, associating that behavior with being a female MM fan? Wow.
Profile Image for Claudia.
2,636 reviews32 followers
September 24, 2020
Two men, each one with problems of their own, but, hey! they can be fixed with a fake marriage.

Alex is a lawyer with huge monetary problems, and Finn is a widower who either gets married or loses his money. Oh, and he's impotent, too. And he never managed to consummate his marriage.

Of course, the impotence was because he was repressing his sexuality and as soon as he discovers he can have sex with Alex, he is keen to recover all the lost time.

Short, filled with sex to the rim, and with the obligatory fight brought by jealousy and a former lover this is not a bad read is you like books with more sex than story.

Sadly, that's not my case :/
Profile Image for M.
360 reviews
September 24, 2019
This kind of reminded me of an author’s early writing attempts. Everything was just super convenient and unrealistic but maybe that’s to do with the short length and needing things to wrap up quickly. Maybe we just weren’t compatible 🤷🏼‍♂️
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Shelved as 'added-it'
May 1, 2021
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/1/2021)! 🎁
Profile Image for DebbieReadsBooks.
2,346 reviews38 followers
October 8, 2019

Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

Alex’s business partner scammed him for the tune of half a million dollars. His friend, Izzy, has the perfect solution. Marry her client, live with said client for 6 months, and get his half million back. Finn’s great aunt is a manipulative woman, but she loves him, she really does. Getting Finn out the house to meet someone new was not going to work while the artist hides himself away following the death of his wife several years ago. Marrying him off seems the perfect idea. When Finn and Alex come face to face at the courthouse, neither is expecting a man, but they go ahead. They can live with each other for 6 months and be done. But what happens when feelings get involved? When things begin to be REAL?

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this start of a new series by Salinger! I LOVED the Nights series and I can see this new series growing on me too.

There is immediate attraction to Finn from Alex but while Finn acknowledges, to himself at least, that Alex is gorgeous, it takes time for the attraction to Alex to grow. Loved that it wasn’t immediate obvious to Finn, just what he might be feeling for Alex.

It’s not overly explicit, at least to start, but once these guys admit they want each other, and that Finn doesn’t seem to have a problem with that, they are all in! It does get a bit emotional, especially for Finn, when talking about his wife, and then to his great aunt about . . .things . . .and you feel sad for him, that he was never fully honest with himself. That his wife and his aunt saw, though, knocks him.

Glad the business partner gets his comeuppence!

I LOVED the wider group of friends that Alex comes home to! They are funny and I wonder if the series will evolve around them? I know Carter is next, who pops up here.

It didn’t take me long to read the 170 pages its billed as, just over 90 minutes, but it left me feeling that warm and fuzzie feeling I haven’t had from a book in a good long while.

So, thank you, Ms Salinger, for setting me up for a busy day at work, feeling that warm and fuzziness all day! I look forward to catching up with these guys should they pop up again in the series. * I hope they do!*

OH!!! There is a bit at the back of this book that gives the first chapter to One Night, which is the first in the Nights series. If you haven’t read those books, I STRONGLY recommend you do! I made a new shelf for them, and everything! And of course I read that little bit and then had to go back and read Cam and Gabe’s first book again. And NOW I wanna go back and read the whole damn series again! Be warned though, those books are HOT off the charts!

Ah sod it! I wrote 4 stars, then changed it to 5 then back to 4, but here you go!

5 warm and fuzzy, too stinking cute stars!

**same worded review will appear elsewhere**

Profile Image for Jo.
1,448 reviews11 followers
October 6, 2019
In my opinion, there's things to like and dislike about this book, but on balance, the good outweighs the bits I wasn't so fond of.

For me, there was a lot of this book that was simply a little too convenient - I strongly suspect that this was due to the novella format, and the truncated page count to get the story detail across, but nevertheless, it was a niggle for me.  I don't put it as anything stronger than that.

As for the relationship?  Well there's no surprises about where this is going, and the author has created two lead characters who work well together.

In summary, short, but hot.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Profile Image for Maria Vickers.
Author 58 books375 followers
October 12, 2019
Alex and Finn, two men thrown together by necessity, but there is so much more, and not even they know to what extent. Take two men, throw in some steam, a good plot, and a dash of humor and emotion and you get Alex by A.M. Salinger. I loved this book and the way it developed. It felt natural, and the chemistry was great! This story moves quickly and holds your attention. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can't wait for the next book in the series! If you love a good MM, if you like the straight to gay trope, then you have to check out this book! 4.5 stars and I suggest you one-click this one today!
Profile Image for Nic.
948 reviews7 followers
December 13, 2019
Nice read

This was my first book by the author and I was easily entertained by this story. It was a nice and easy read. We were able to get a glimpse of both main characters. We were also able to see how and if a relationship developed.
Profile Image for Mateo.
388 reviews13 followers
February 15, 2020
Four stars for the cover and three for the story, my final words.
October 16, 2019
3 fake marriage stars

I love a good fake marriage story now and then. this particular story had it all - money situation, ex boyfriend, misunderstanding, banter and what not.

Enjoyable.
April 11, 2021
Alex is the first in the Twilight Fall series and a M/M romance, one that I absolutely fell in love with. This was the first time I was reading from the author, and boy oh boy, you best believe you have yourself a new fan.

I loved the character development between Finn and Alex, the exploring of ones sexuality, and the love that comes to grow between the two. The chemistry, heat, and emotion can be felt from the pages!

Alex is a man that is confident in his sexuality, but he also just got screwed over by his partner, said partner took money from his company. Now Alex needs to find a way to fix this, and what better way than to get married to a stranger?

Finn is a arisit, a straight one, at least that's what he thinks. A artists that stands to loose his inherits unless he obeys his Aunts wishes and marries....again. Finn was married once already, and his marriage came with it's own set of issues. When a friend brings him someone to marry, he is picturing a nice woman, what he is not expecting is Alex...

Enter into the world of Alex and Finn and they explore their relationship, dodge drama, and heat up the pages with moments that will make you wish you were there with them. I loved this book so much, I can not stress enough, give it a try!! I very much look forward to the next books in this series!!
Profile Image for Rocken.
535 reviews6 followers
September 20, 2020
3.8
Low angst, easy read with a silly premise that I won't get into. Lets just say one of the MCs is supposedly straight and never had gay sex or even any thoughts about it. But he really jumps into the gay with both legs when presented with the opportunity.
So I wish that first part of the story was a bit more drawn out and a little less insta.
But the book is just the right length not to get boring, and most of it is filled with hot sex.
So there's that.
Profile Image for joani.
1,326 reviews3 followers
March 13, 2020
Alex and Finn

I enjoyed this story and the sex was steamy between Alex and Finn. What I didn't like was that we only got to see the love form through sex and not because they were getting to know each other. We were told that they were getting close outside the bedroom but you don't actually get to experience it with them.
Profile Image for Laurie.
126 reviews6 followers
May 3, 2021
Good fake Love story

Two guys who needed each other and both for money reasons. The sassy friend that set them up and conveniently forgot to tell they were marrying a guy. She was a hoot. A lawyer and an artist. Very good read, enjoyed immensely.
Profile Image for Mao.
14 reviews
April 13, 2020
I would have liked it more if there is more of an angst in this book. It's an enjoyable read.
407 reviews1 follower
May 10, 2021
Alex

I loved reading this book so much. The characters felt real and the plot was great.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story.
Profile Image for Laura ~Passion flower.
572 reviews1 follower
August 20, 2020

"An Exciting, Emotional, Beautifully Hopeful Story"

Ever look forward to reading a new story based mostly upon its primary setting?  *Raises hand*  Well, that would be yes for this reader.  As soon as I came across a new and upcoming story based in..Twilight Falls..I knew I had to read it.  Boy, am I glad that I did!

Alex, by A.M. Salinger, is a heart-warming, sizzling, heart-breaking, beautiful story filled with intrigue, angst, humor, and, numerous moments filled with self-discovery and eye-opening revelations.  It was a story that kept me glued to my kindle as the plot slowly unfurled and continued down such an enticing road.  With the existence of such a deep plot, I needed to actually remind myself to slow down as I read with the hopes that it would stretch out into a deliciously well-rounded story.  As a result, it wound up having such a wonderfully entertaining storyline, a lengthy plot with plentiful gripping sub-plot(s), amazingly addictive main characters, mostly fabulous secondary ones, and, an overflowing amount of scorching chemistry.

While I admit that one of the reasons why I looked forward to reading this book was due to its setting, it actually turned into quite the story.  On the other hand, with its super initial development, I had ultimately wished that it had focused on more of the main plot, as it was such a beautifully emotional one, and less of so many sub-plots, despite all of them being so equally amazing.  With that being said, as this is the first book of a new series, its currently heavy plot leads the way for many exciting possibilities for future books.

Alex, is a great story filled with beautifully emotional moments, wonderful main characters, and, the slowly percolating sub-plots, that already have this reader eagerly looking forward to more of the Twilight Falls Series..:)

*star rating: 4.30 ‘I liked this story’ stars*

Profile Image for ❤Sharonica-Logic❤.
580 reviews11 followers

SteaMMy Swordplay: 4 out of 5⚔
Sharonica-Stars: 4 out of 5✨
GoodReads AVG: 3.90🌟

MMy Thoughts and Review:

🎶Finn and Alex sitting in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G. First comes love, then comes marriage...🎶 SCRATCH THAT! Reverse it, take out the tree, add floor to ceiling glass windows, and you have it about right.

You should also, include a large sum of cash, a nosey but sassy aunt, childhood friends who may or may not be glad you are back in town, a ghost you can't compete with, an ex-business partner still on the lam with your company's assets and you got yourself the fixin's for one HAWT steaMMy ride. Most especially with the sexy as sin, brooding artist husband of yours. Phew! 🔥🔥

Alex was a fast read with good characters and plot. I enjoyed the chemistry between the two MCs and found myself hungry for more when the book ended. I am hopeful we will see more of Finn and Alex as the series continues and we get to know more of the, "terrible seven." Did you catch all those mores? Please suh, may we have some MORE? 😂 I am ready for the next book, in case you couldn't tell.

My only negative thought is, I wish some of the scenes had been just a little more fleshed out. While I am the first to admit I love good sex-scenes, I feel we missed some pivotal moments in lieu of those, like the art exhibition, and getting more insight into the aunt and her "threats," as they were.

I look forward to book #2!

4 falling-in-twilight-stars✨✨✨✨

I read a complimentary Advanced Reader Copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving an honest and unbiased review. 💋

Profile Image for K.R. Phoenix.
509 reviews23 followers
October 9, 2019
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4.5 stars
🔥🔥🔥🔥 Heat Level: 4

An enjoyable, easy read that will whisk you away to Twilight Falls!

This was my first book by Ava and I really enjoyed it! I was a breeze to read, I just flew through it and went along for the ride. I found the characters were relatable, real and emotive. I enjoyed the unusual path of the "fake-marriage" trope and loved the gay awakening Finn goes through. I found Finn a wonderfully deep character with a tragic past, guilt and a new path he begins to come to terms with.

Alex is confident and bold, with humor, sarcasm and blunt honesty that changes Finn's life and sets these to on a path to passion and discovery (which is deliciously steamy). I wanted more background into Alex and former law partner and how he managed to allude Alex and escape with millions.

I'm intrigued by Alex's group of seven childhood friends and can already see the stories to come. I found many of these side characters funny and charismatic and I look forward to their stories. While I'm glad Alex and his ex had no hard feelings after what happened, I was a little surprised by this and found I didn't really like Drake all that much.

An enjoyable escape with steam and passion. A great start to the series!

Thanks for reading! For great stories, reviews and more please visit https://bookstattoosandtea.wordpress.com 📚.
Profile Image for Amy  Crull.
1,880 reviews27 followers
October 10, 2019
So this was my first book by this author and I didn't know what to expect but the blurb drew me in. I do love me so thrown together and straight turned gay romances. I don't know what it is but the awkwardness at first to realizing they are gay and in love with a guy is just awesome! This book has the awkward first meet along with the friends getting to know Finn. Alex didn't want to come home but he had no choice. Getting screwed from his business partner and needing to start fresh, he wasn't counting on marriage but thanks to his pushy friend, it happened. Finn and him aren't seeing eye to eye until one drunken night changes everything. This changes their relationship completely. I got to give the author credit for writing Alex the way she did. He took the steps to help Finn get comfortable with the idea. There were no rushing into the bedroom and having sex. It was baby steps. Doing little things just to get comfortable. I enjoyed all the characters but possibly Drake..I know he was a scorn lover and just jealous but I'm still not trusting him 100%. This was a great start to the series and I can't wait to read more and find out about the town of Twilights Falls.
Profile Image for United Indie Book Blog.
4,227 reviews78 followers
October 11, 2019

review by AMY
Profile Image for Gina.
101 reviews12 followers
October 4, 2019
The truth is when Alex first started, I didn’t know where it was going to go. I knew that it was a marriage for money basically, but Finn had been married to a woman. It had me questioning everything. I wanted the story to be believable. I wanted Alex and Finn’s love to be real. I didn’t want it to be forced.

It turned out to be a beautiful story. I loved to see the dynamic between the two of them. I will say though that there was a little too much sexy time and not enough relationship development for my taste. I wanted to see more of the nitty gritty of the two of them coming together. I though the steamy scenes were well done and totally sexy, but I could have done more character and relationship building.

I really loved the cast of secondary characters. The group of friends that stuck together for one another. I was left feeling like I could jump into their group of friends and have a good time. I’m actually really looking forward to the next book. I really want to see who falls in love next.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.