Start by marking “The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower, #1-3)

The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower #1-3 omnibus)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Enter the world of The Seventh Tower...

A long time ago, darkness fell upon the Castle. A veil was created over the world, upholding the rule of magic. One war ended...and another silently began.

Tal has spent his whole life in the darkness. He knows nothing else of the world. Far below the Castle, there lives an Icecarl warrior named Milla. Her fate and Tal's are irreversib
Published January 1st 2005 by Scholastic (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Tower

Ren
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've lost count of the amount of times I've read these books. I lost count around fifty. Garth Nix, from beginning to end I couldn't put these books down if i wanted to. I found myself absorbed in the flow of this book, in the world of Tal and Milla. In the thick plot and in the mystical world of AENIR, a magnificent read with an expertly wound plot and truly unforgettable characters.
This book is amazing, especially since it's written, to quote Tal's eccentric great uncle, "Back when frogs had l
Erinina Marie
Dec 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
I got this book on sale fortunately. Its absolutely terrible. In a conversation that didn't happen to be about this book, but is totally relevant my sister said to me that I shouldn't judge books written for young audiences so harshly, that you don't have to be a good writer to write for kids. I absolutely and emphatically disagree. You should be a better writer to write for kids. You are part of their education. This book was the worst mimicry of every actually good sci fi and fantasy story eve ...more
Jenna
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm going to be truthful here, I don't actually remember everything about these books. I read them when I was a wee one. I'm sure you're wondering why on Earth I'd give it such a high ranking if I don't remember much about it. Well, I might not remember every detail about the books, but I do remember how much I enjoyed them and how I couldn't wait to turn the page to see what happened next.

I remember how excited I was after I read the ending and how mock-excited my parents were, because they kn
Deale Hutton
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read vols. 1-3 and really liked the story. Going to read 4-6. Like the way Garth Nix develops his characters...they change and behave as young adults while confronting adult problems and dealing with friendships and cultural differences. The society is solidly formed and the societal system quite complete. The creatures are also interesting.
Jackson
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i read this book in about a month. it was really long but it was one one of the best books i have ever read. it was very exciting and if you are into the whole fiction thing then this is a really good book.
Suvi
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely best series I have read. Better than Harry Potter! So creative, so fun, action, every page you are holding your breath about what will happen. Girl and boy heroes who rock! Yay!
Eric
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The Seventh Tower series was just not up to Nix's normal standards. It was enjoyable, but you could tell he was constrained by the story concept that came from Henson.
Julie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been holding onto this book for years so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

This is an omnibus edition containing the first three books of The Seventh Tower, a middle grade fantasy series by Garth Nix, commissioned by Lucasfilm's books department.

The worldbuilding did not disappoint, which is not surprising for Garth Nix. The characters got a little annoying, though. I was particularly disgusted that the main character had some pretty despicable first reactions when a companion got injured ("Maybe I
Jay Xiong
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Seventh Tower," which brings together the first three books in his Seventh Tower series, lots of ice, lots of alien monsters, and the weird trips to magical realms. Tal is desperate, his father is mysteriously missing, and his mother is terribly ill. The only way he can keep his family from being demoted to Underfolk is by getting a primary Sunstone, and using it to claim a Spirit Shadow in the world of Aenir.

In my opinion this is a wonderful book to read because of the majestic world that
Karen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book 1: The Fall 3.5 stars
Book 2: Castle 4 stars
Book 3: Aenir 4 stars
Overall 4 stars.
A great -though not precisely original- story with some interesting world & magic concepts, all written in a language which could be easily read by a young audience. There was a lot of action happening and a good amount of excitement going around, though the 3rd book ended on a nice big cliffhanger and I haven't got the other books yet which is a little annoying.
I look forward to seeing where Tal & Milla
Ea Solinas
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Veil blocks out all sunlight, locking the world in eternal winter. The only people are the Chosen in their Castle, and the Icecarls who roam the icy lands.

Such is the setting of Garth Nix's "The Seventh Tower," which brings together the first three books in his Seventh Tower series -- lots of ice, lots of alien monsters, and the odd trip into a magical otherworld. It's a less complicated story than his works for older readers, but Nix's exceptional writing and a strong pair of lead character
Amber
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well I finally finished this book. It took me a while because a) life and b) it didn't hold my interest very well. This book was recommended to me by my little brother. And while the story is original and contains unfamiliar ideas and creatures (which give the story an aura of mystery and intrigue) I have to say that it wasn't written very well. I understand that this is a series for children, but I also feel like children's authors have that much more of a responsibility to write well. The book ...more
Enemby
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Garth Nix shows his mastery in creating worlds once again, using a combination of magic and sun stones. The plot was slow to develop, but as always the characters were efficient, but not too efficient, knowledgeable, but definitely did not know everything, and actually had differences.One thing I love about Nix's books is his character if they can't do something, it's not because the author needed more fillers, it's because they literally can't, and are consistent in that. The plotline was excel ...more
Tyler Collamertw
The Seventh Tower
I just finished the book “The Seventh Tower.” This book is about a boy named Tal who has a ring that controls a shadow guardian. He currently only has the trainer shadow but is about to go through a ceremony where he will get his actual guardian that he picks himself. A evil person high up in the kingdom send his shadow guardian after him and he falls down into the ice people village full of people who hate the shadow casters and it goes on from them.
I really liked this book. It
Patreck
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly what you would expect from a great fiction novel. There is no bumps in the road or even pointless things that would make you close your eyelids. The story is original, and is unlike anything you have ever heard of.
The characters are unique and well-rounded. Tal and Milla are completely two different people who find themselves working together in order for a better cause. I dislike calling Tal, weak, but it's true. But throughout the book, he changes and becomes more into wha
J. Bentley
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
in these books tal a yound boy of the choosen has found out that his father is missing and his mother is very ill and he requires and powerful sunstone to get into the spirit world but so he sets off to try and win earn and eventuly steal one which in the process causes him to fall off the towers and go onto the ice where he is found by the icecarls who also need a sunstone so he is sent on a quest with a young icecarl named milla who does not like him at all but togerther the get back to the to ...more
Kharms
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series of Science Fiction books by Garth Nix, which are aimed at a juvenile/young adult audience. The author does a good job of creating new, unfamiliar but believable societies, including the privileged Castle dwellers known as the Chosen and the seemingly more primitive and clan-oriented Icecarls who live out in the frozen wilds of the Dark World. Throw in the magical world of Aenir from which Shadowguards and Spiritshadows are bound (enslaved?) to Chosen at age 13 1/2, a ...more
Joshua Burnett
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Fantasy
Shelves: books-i-own
The Seventh Tower. This is an incredible book that I have enjoyed reading on many an occasion. In short, there is a young boy, and he lives in one of seven towers. Each tower has a different "value" to it based on the rank you are. These ranks are decided upon your skill level with light, and light comes in many colours. Sunstones are what control the light and I've never had more fun reading about the spectrum then in this book, as we watch Tal (Main character) struggle with the Icecarls (Peopl ...more
Ray Cerbone
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-reading
This book was about how two children whomeet up in the dark world they live in and progress to defeat a common evil. They start out as great enimies but soon become good freinds and even better comrades. Towards the close of the book you see that they are no longer children but have progressed into young adults in less than what seems like a few months.

I would reccomend this book to anyone who is interested in adventure and alot of fighting. It also gives alot of thought to magic and other world
Ivan
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great little series of six short books, which I would consider to be at around the middle or upper primary level. It has an interesting world, two strong main characters (one male, one female) and a great story arc in each book, with a long story building through the entire series of six books with a nice resolution at the finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this series but for older readers would definitely recommend Sabriel by the same author.
Jd
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this series. Garth Nix is in fine form here, creating a fascinating, multi-layered world, with its own different cultural groups and complete, believable and unique social systems. Add to that the magic and adventure, as well as Nix's excellent ear for human nature, and this is one of the most enjoyable, immersive reads I've had. Both protagonists are likable and also develop significantly throughout the books. Highly recommended.
HAVOK_UNITED // Kane
I really liked the book, but it took me a while to get hooked. I liked some bits, but mainly wasn't hooked until further into the book. It was just luck that I kept reading.
Good book but I wouldn't give it 5 stars, because it was boring in some parts, and I only read on because most of it was entertaining.
Analisa
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
My 11 year-old and my husband really, really enjoyed this series. This is probably the only one I will read. It is a good story, good characters, etc. I guess I just don't have a good enough imagination to fully appreciate it.
Nerdia314
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 9 and up
Recommended to Nerdia314 by: my friend
it was good; the storyline, at least. the writing style was a bit underdescriptive but other than that it was good.
Jackie Hamm
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a book I had always wanted to get and found it for a few bucks - I went through it really quickly. Even though it is targeted for youth it was fun to read.
Jolynn Forman
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good read for a mellow day. Series about racial segregation and a boy trying to "break thru".
Melisa
Jan 27, 2015 added it
It was incredible
Colton
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jared, Darian Alexandru, April Courtney, and Morgan
You should read this because it has epic fight seens and special shadows that do your will to protect you! It is really great!
Annamarie
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
I remember the day that I found this book in the back of the book store with my aunt. Reading this book when I was a kid I just loved it!
Ama
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not really interesting.
  • Exploring Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
  • Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, #2)
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)
  • Divine by Mistake / Divine by Choice / Divine by Blood / Elphame's Choice / Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #1-5)
  • The Midnight Gate (Spellbinder #2)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Basilisk
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
  • Master of the Books
  • Griffin's Castle
  • The Dragon Prophecy (Dragonology Chronicles, #4)
  • Weavers of War (Winds of the Forelands, #5)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Legends of Dimmingwood Series: Books 1-4
  • The Crown Tower - Free Preview (The First 5 Chapters)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De
More about Garth Nix...

The Seventh Tower (6 books)
  • The Fall (The Seventh Tower, #1)
  • Castle (The Seventh Tower, #2)
  • Aenir (The Seventh Tower, #3)
  • Above the Veil (The Seventh Tower, #4)
  • Into Battle (The Seventh Tower, #5)
  • The Violet Keystone (The Seventh Tower, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99