Start by marking “Corgiville Fair” as Want to Read:
Corgiville Fair

Corgiville Fair

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  363 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Chronicles the events of the Corgiville Fair, especially the foul play by Edgar Tomcat in his attempt to win the goat race.
Published August 1st 1981 by Thomas Y. Crowell Company (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Corgiville Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corgiville Fair

Kathryn
I'm not sure why I didn't like this more... I think it just seemed a bit odd to me with the up-right walking corgis tending goats (if dogs walk and go to fairs, why are goats pets?) and the ending seemed a bit disjointed and unexplained (and, the poor goat!!!). Still, some of the pictures were really cute--I liked the detail in the fair booths and the parade. I usually love Tasha Tudor, so maybe this one just didn't mesh with me. I see a lot of other people loved it!
Melki
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fair is coming, and all of Corgiville is a-buzz with excitement. Join in the fun with the midway, pie-eating contests, and a goat race. Tudor's precious illustrations are loaded with detail, and beg to be poured over again and again.

description

description
Rhonda
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This book is just phenomenal for a children's book. The illustrations are beautiful, the storyline is amazing and the vocabulary is great!
Sara
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
It's funny to see ones last name in a book! Especially when tied to funny creatures made up of yarn and polkadots. Oh dear...
Rachel
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had fallen in love Tasha Tudor's Caldecott Honor Book "1 is One" and wanted to check out her other books, so I picked up this one. The author herself liked to live in a circa 1830s house and do the kind of crafts one associates with that era (candlemaking, quilting, canning, etc). She dedicates the book to her eight Corgis, which makes sense since the book is about a Corgi family named the Bigby Browns. The book is set in a bygone era, looks to be the turn of the 20th century, in a town in Ver ...more
S. J.
*5+ Stars*

The Gush*
This was a gift from my grandparents and oh, how I loved this! My greatest wish is for a corgi and it comes partially from reading this book.
To be fair, this is a rather odd book. Not only is it anthropomorphic but it is set in a by-gone era of America as well. This makes it a very simple nostalgic tale as well. This would be a wonderful way to introduce talks of how people lived years ago with young children as well as just a delightful tale of family, friends, and meeting go
Literary Mama
From "Essential Reading: Seasons" by Literary Mama staff:

When I think of seasons, I think instantly of Tasha Tudor, who rendered them so beautifully in her books—and who, during my sodden Northwest childhood, gave me an idea of what summer and winter could be like for people who didn't live on the edge of a temperate rain forest. Now that I live in New England, it has been a special pleasure to revisit Tudor's oeuvre with my boys as we go Around the Year. For our family, it's not summer without
Drew Graham
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The biggest event of the year in Corgiville is the grand and glorious fair, eagerly anticipated by the town's cat/bunny/corgi/boggart citizens. A big goat race is on the horizon, but rivalries and underhanded feline dealings might threaten a promising young corgi's chances.

We found this book at a consignment sale and bought it just because it looked cute and interesting. Well, it is both of those things, but it's also kind of odd. The random sampling of the town's population puzzled me (why only
Ann
Sadly, I wasn't thrilled with this book. It's a cute enough premise about a fair in a world where dogs and cats walk upright and take on human-esque jobs. But, the story felt disjointed to me, and I wasn't really sure what the point or message was. I found it a little disturbing that many of the characters smoked cigars, that one of the goats was put on a strict diet so that it would be fit for the race at the fair, and that because of a series of events the goat ends up with dietary problems fo ...more
Jill
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars? Four stars? I don't know.

I love Tasha Tudor's illustrations and I love the setting for the story but I do not care for the boggart characters at all. They seem oddly dropped into the story for some reason I can't figure out. I want to believe they belong to this magical Corgiville place, but they keep pulling me out of the realm of imagination. It's too bad because the story of their fireworks factory and how they are illustrated is wonderful, it just seems out of place with the res
Carmine
One of my all time favorites as a child. I don't know exactly why- probably the ambigiuity of the Boggarts and the excitement of the fair. Judging from the repeat read-aloud requests, it is becoming one of my daughter's favorites. She anticipates Edgar Tomcat feeding the pies and cigars to Josephine with a loud "Oh NO!" as I turn the page and she has lots and lots of questions about the pictures...why is the fair held behind the civil war statue? What is a grandstand? Why are the boggarts jumpin ...more
Libby
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five year old grandson, Alex, wants to be a vet like his mother. He loves animal stories and so do I. This is one of our favorites. The story is clever and the pictures are charming. We wanted to run right out and get a corgi, but his Mom says three cats and a basset hound are enough. Reluctantly, I agree, so Alex and I will continue our corgi love with repeated readings of this book. Why don't you find a big comfy chair and settle down to read the adventures of all the cutest animals? I'll b ...more
Ruth
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh. What's not to love about ANY Tasha Tudor watercolor illustration and/or book? This whole book could not be any cuter. It makes me want pretty badly to buy a Welsh Corgi of my own (even though they are kind of high energy dogs and maybe even a little yappy, which I probably wouldn't want longterm). But the story is enchanting and quirky all at the same time. The artwork is really what it's all about though. So adorable!
Boatgirl
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Skye (and anyone who likes fairs)
Pet goats will eat anything, including fireworks.

Tasha Tudor is a great artist and this is one of my all-time favorite books. I think it is probably the reason I love county fairs so much. She catches the color and bustle; on some pages you could spend hours looking at details of all the different things the animals are doing at the fair.

Cara - if Skye doesn't have this one, tell me and I'll bring it over next time I babysit.
ABC
Sep 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
I give the story two stars, but the illustrations five stars, so I guess it averages out to three stars.

The story is a little weird. The vocabulary level is quite high, for example it uses the word "soporific."

The illustrations are very nice, depicting an American town in New England inhabited by animals and a troll. The American flag is heavily depicted, which might be annoying if you are not American.
Crystal
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and children at heart, especially fans of Tasha Tudor's work
This book is sweet, funny, and nostalgic. Tasha Tudor's art is charming, and the story is funny and cute. Who wouldn't love a story that involves feeding a goat firecrackers/rockets so he can win a race? Tasha Tudor has created a charming little world centered around her beloved corgis, and it's definitely one worth visiting.
Laura (Madsen) McLain
My mom read this book to us a million times when my sister and I were kids, and I anticipate reading it a million times to my own daughters. "Corgis are small dogs the color of foxes. They have short legs and no tails. They are enchanted. You need only see them by moonlight to realize this." Tasha Tudor's illustrations of corgis are perfect, and are the reason my family has had corgis since 1986!
Dianna
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice story centered around the annual goat races at Corgiville fair. It's a little long and complicated for my four-year-old; I think it would be great for ages 6–10. The illustrations are beautiful, of course, and there's a great villain.
matteo
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ihaveakidnow
This is a weird, funky, entertaining kid's book for adults. Shades of Charlotte's Web, Beatrix Potter, Animal Farm, Babe, Stand By Me. Lighthearted at times, dark at others. Has some very dated references and terminology. And boggarts are just WEIRD.
Mark
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the first books i ever owned as a kid. Thanks to Dad and Mom for getting me this and opening up my mind to the world of books. I still have it as a matter of fact so anyone that needs a good book to read to kids let me know.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So pretty! My Umpa has a Corgi named Shorty that he loves- Tasha Tudor does such beautiful art- I love the complexity of the pictures- my non-readers spend a lot of time reliving the story through them.
Julia
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
A nostalgic childhood favorite. It taught me the word "soporific" and I've not forgotten it since.
Elissa
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my childhood favorites.
Shirley
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Love the illustrations. They remind me of Sylvanian Families and Calico Critters.
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming, eccentric and beautifully illustrated with such detail. "Corgis are enchanted. You need only to see them by moonlight to know this." I wish I could go to the Corgiville Fair.
Meltha
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, fantasy
Great children's picture book.
Jen
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorites when i was little
Janet
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have this one autographed by T.T.
Kelsey Yates
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I couldn't get passed the boggarts, which she explains are trolls. Why didn't she just use another animal species?
Andrea Labonte
good but too long of a book.
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
  • Once Upon a Twice (Picture Book)
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • County Fair
  • Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
  • Woody, Hazel and Little Pip
  • Hibernation Station
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Tasha Tudor...