Start by marking “Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)” as Want to Read:
Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)

Drowned Wednesday

(The Keys to the Kingdom #3)

On the third day, there were pirates.

Wednesday has rolled around, and Arthur Penhaligon has an invitation to return to the House that he can't refuse. Drowned Wednesday has sent a ship to pick him up from the hospital...even though his hometown is miles away from any ocean.

From hospital room to the high seas, Arthur finds himself on an adventure that will pit him against p
Published March 3rd 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Drowned Wednesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drowned Wednesday

Andrea
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I enjoyed seeing Arthur going after the trustees in this installment rather than being taken by surprise. It was also nice that Lady Wednesday didn't want to kill him. I liked the different pirates and sailors Arthur ran into in this one, definitely made it stand out from the Far reaches and the House.

It seems like things are building up for a larger conflict with Saturday or Sunday so that will definitely be interesting. I liked seeing Leaf in this a bit more, but I think she got more than she
Anne Hamilton
A medley of literary and Scriptural allusions drift in and out of this book.

A touch of the story of Jonah and the whale, with a hint of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea thrown in. A whiff of Celtic legend in the reference to the Red Hand, and also of Norse legend mediated via Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy plus a more hefty dollop of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, both in the Raised Rats and the sea that spills over into a bedroom. There's also a glancing nod to The Silver Chair in the thought th
Liz
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amanda Pearl
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lady Wednesday is an interesting villian. Her story is really tragic and shows not all of the trustees are cruel and heartless. She tried to fulfil her duty and her gluttony overcame her. It's interesting that the hunger set upon her after accepting custody of the 3rd key. What is it about the keys that are bringing these sins upon their bearers? And as Arthur is forced to wield the keys more, as we know he will have to as he faces the remaining four days, will we see these sins manifest in hims ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Inhalt:
Arthur Penhaligon weiß nicht, was er davon halten soll, als er von Lady Mittwoch, der dritten Treuhänderin des Hauses, eine Einladung zum Mittagessen bekommt. Ist das ein Trick, mit dem sie verhindern will, dass er den 3. Teil des Vermächtnisses findet und den 3. Schlüssel beansprucht?
Als seine Klassenkameradin Blatt ihn besucht und Mittwochs Boten ihn abholen wollen, landet durch ein Missgeschick Blatt auf dem von Mittwoch geschickten Schiff, während Arthur allein auf einem sinkenden Met
Kogiopsis
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kogiopsis by: Cillian Beyond Birthday
Definitely my favorite of the series so far. Also the one I have the least to say about, because it's really just a strong continuance of an already strong story. It's worth noting that Garth Nix, in my experience at least, doesn't have problems with writing excellent middle books - it's where most series fail, but here it's clear that Nix is just hitting his stride with these books. The titular character's role is different than those of her predecessors, which I loved; the maritime world of he ...more
Onka
4,5*

Pre mňa zatiaľ najlepšia časť! Zbožňujem celú túto sériu - tie svety, čo Nix v Dome vytvoril sú magické, nádherné, šialené... no proste neskutočné! A v tejto sú aj piráti!!! A je mi úplne jedno, že som na takéto knihy pristará (podľa istých 13-ročných jedincov zjavne patrím už do starobinca...), neviem sa už dočkať ostatných kníh!
Wealhtheow
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a more egalitarian, imaginative, less anglophiley Dawn Treader
Arthur Penhaligan was only chosen as Heir to the Architect's Will because he was about to die of a brutal asthma attack. But to the surprise of the magical beings known as the Morrow Days, he not only survived, he also managed to wrest control from Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday. Each of his triumphs only serve to whip his foes into a greater froth of rage, and they are drowning him in paperwork, pursuing legal action--and threatening his mortal family. Arthur has barely returned from his advent ...more
Andy
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Im dritten Band der Reihe um die Schlüssel des Königreichs trifft Arthur auf Kalten Mittwoch. Ich mochte auf diese Geschichte, da sie wieder sehr originell war. Warum wird diese Reihe nicht verfilmt? Das würde so eine tolle Serie ergeben.
Jaemi
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Never a dull moment in this series, and Drowned Wednesday is no exception. As per usual, we pick up with Arthur about where we left off: home, injured, hospitalized. But this time it's not disaster or trouble that brings him back to the House, it's an invitation to dine with Drowned Wednesday, the next of the Morrow Days. Unsure how the "arranged" transportation is going to reach him, Arthur waits and counts the minutes as they pass by. Unfortunately his friend Leaf stops by to visit and is stil ...more
Kai Ronin
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As another great installment in the seven-book series by Garth Nix,the Keys to the Kingdom, as I trust you, reader, have already come to know (excuse my redundancy), Drowned Wednesday is a spectacular novel, branching further from established typicalities in fictional literature even further now than the series has previously. In this issue, Arthur must again embark on an quest for a one of the many keys to the kingdom, and one of the many parts of the will, along with the titular Drowned Wednes ...more
Barbara ★
I unapologetically love this series! Garth Nix is just too clever and his scenarios are so far out there but semi-believable anyway. Some of the stuff he comes up with is just way too cool. Case in point, Drowned Wednesday used to be a person. However she was cursed by the Morrow days and her appetite grew to such immense proportions that she literally turned into a whale, and a ginormous one at that. Now she is "drowned" since it is necessary for her to stay submerged in the Border Sea to survi ...more
Karin
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, keys, audiobook
In Drowned Wednesday, Arthur, a teenage boy with asthma and a broken leg, heir to the Keys to the Kingdom, has to not only survive an ocean adventure but must save that part of The House (think of it as the records house for the entire universe and several other universes) from a maniacal pirate and a whale the size of an island.

Drowned Wednesday, the third book in the Keys to the Kingdom series, is the first in the series that I can say was better than "good". The vast part of the improvement w
Erik Fazekas
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Toto bola zatial najlepsia cast!!! Ano, prvych 50 stran bolo vcelku nudnych... chalan sa len plavil na tej svojej posteli v Border Sea, ale to co prislo potom... nemam slov. Akcia za akciou. Mozno je to aj tym, ze ako kazdy chalan aj ja som chcel byt piratom, a nejako prirodzene nas to fascinuje, velmi sa mi to pacilo!

Teraz pre tych co to citali: (view spoiler)
JL Lucaban
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-love
On this book, I wzs so shocked that Lady Wednesday died. She deserves a second chance. And there's that thing that hinted me on something. I think the morrow days were actually not what they were before as to what they are now (in the story). It's like they were possessed or cursed or something after they broke the Will then assumed power to the keys. I think it's after that they change because ofthat certain curse or something. so yeah, that's thatfor now...
Julie
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
The quest by Arthur Penhaligon continues! Arthur has defeated Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday. In this book he seeks out Lady Wednesday, a trustee of the seas who through massive overeating has turned into an enormous whale. Since each of the Days represents one of the Seven Deadly Sins, my guess is that this is Gluttony! As with the other books in this series, Garth Nix creates a magical out-of-this-world setting with a strong plot. Great humor and a great listen. "Long Swim the Carp!"
KayLynn Zollinger
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite of the Keys of the Kingdom series so far. Arthur is growing into himself. He's less the whiny, scared boy we saw in the first two books and is becoming a brave leader. He is becoming the Lord of the Lower House!
Also, this book was just really super creative. The door to the realm inside Lady Wednesday's stomach? Clever. Strange. But clever.
Anushka Aritri
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-read
One Piece-ish setting, Pinocchio situation, and a Doctor Who/Narnia reference. That's what I got from what happened in the book this time. I guess, growing up, the things I've seen really have changed how I'm perceiving this book upon the second read. Moving on to the next one!
Candace
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite in the series so far, I think, and definitely a step above the second one. Broadens the scope of the world and ramps up the pace a bit. Also I love anything with ships and so the Border Seas and all its denizens were among my favourite characters so far.
Lars Dradrach
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book

The best book in the series yet, it’s like Nix turns it up a notch in this 3. Novel.

With a kind nod to “the voyage of the dawn threader” and “the silver chair” and a little “hitchhikers guide to the galaxy” we follow Arthur as he once again a drawn into the “house”.

Only this time Arthur has grown some balls and instead of being pushed scared around he embraces his destiny and takes charge.

Skye
It’s taken me this long in the series to realise that each of the Trustees has one of the seven sins as their driver… Monday was Sloth, Tuesday – Greed and Wednesday is Gluttony. It makes me want to dive into the series even more since it is so subtly and beautifully done. The idea of Drowned Wednesday being a gluttonous whale and everything that follows worked beautifully in this nautical adventure, and I think that the twists and turns of this story were some of the most surprising yet!

After h
Baal Of
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
For some reason I liked this one a lot more than the previous two volumes, perhaps because it was a high-seas adventure with pirates and a giant whale and talking rats. Perhaps because Arthur is becoming a bit more fleshed out. Also I liked at the end that (view spoiler). I did get tired of the Carp/Will constantly nagging about him needing to have faith, but not enough to spoil my overall enjoyment. Nix exhibited a lot of creativ ...more
Karyn Mitchell
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I really enjoyed this part of the keys to the kingdom series, it had a fair few chuckle worthy scenes in it that made me want to keep on reading. I'm fairly sure that I would have read it all in one sitting if not for the necessities of life.
Tasha
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So you can find my review for Drowned Wednesday here: https://abhorsenslibrary.tumblr.com/p...

Definitely my favourite book in this series so far and definitely looking forward to finishing this series at some point in the future.
Julia
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hey, I finally finished a book. I read the 2nd book a long time ago so I'm glad that the plot isn't too complicated. I really liked the new area of the world explored this time (the water level). I really liked the Raised Rats. I think their whole operation sounds adorable.
Elizette
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely fantastic! I was glad to have more conversation with Lady Wednesday and more backstory or the Morrow Days' coup. Arthur is getting more confident and I think he has earned this. Let's see how I feel when I read Sir Thursday. It's been about eleven years since I last read it.
Frankie Paul White
Q

This book is long winded and is a really slow build up. Once it does though touching be able to put it down.
Brittany Riddle
Actual rating 3.75/5
Joey Woolfardis
[Short review from memory until I re-read and re-review at a later date:

No memory of this one at all, which upsets me quite a great deal, though I don't know why.]
Heather
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This one took me a while to get into. It had interesting parts but the ending was confusing. On to the next one.
The Ultimate ABC ...: Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix 1 5 Mar 14, 2012 05:04AM
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Rise of a Hero
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin #10)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • Lamplighter (Monster Blood Tattoo, #2)
  • Rowan and the Ice Creepers (Rowan of Rin, #5)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2)
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost, #1)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Quillan Games (Pendragon, #7)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • The Locket of Dreams
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De

The Keys to the Kingdom (7 books)
  • Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1)
  • Grim Tuesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #2)
  • Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #4)
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • Superior Saturday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #6)
  • Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #7)
“Yep," said Arthur. Somehow yep seemed the most positive thing he could say. Stronger than yeah and more heroic than yes. He hoped he could live up to it.” 33 likes
“Believe in Lord Arthur. Believe in your Carp. We shall prevail.” 0 likes