Start by marking “Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #4)

Sir Thursday

(The Keys to the Kingdom #4)

The stellar fourth book in Garth Nix's masterpiece series... now in paperback!
On the fourth day there was war...
Following their adventures in the Border Sea, Arthur and Leaf head for home. But only Leaf gets through the Front Door. Arthur is blocked because someone . . . or something . . . has assumed his identity and is taking over his life.
Before Arthur can take
Published January 1st 2007 by Scholastic (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Thursday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Thursday

Start your review of Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #4)
Quinn
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
What I didn't realise in the previous Keys to the Kingdom books was that each Trustee (or Morrow Days - I think, I don't know, it's been so long since the last book and even back then, I may have no idea haha) also represents one of the seven deadly sins... until this book anyway. (Though Wikipedia says that they are "afflicted" - curious choice of word, obviously I've missed something important =P) It was a bit of an *enlightened* ooooh moment for me when I found out hehe

So... Mister Monday was
Lars Dradrach
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
The series just gets better and better, when i read the first two novels I was considering to DNF the series, as it felt like it just repeated the same formula, but i should have known that Nix knew what he was doing.
(view spoiler)
Andrea
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
This was a pretty entertaining listen. This starts right after the events of Drowned Wednesday and poor Arthur doesn't catch a break to go home. I really feel for this kid, he just wants to go home, but these crazy plots in the House won't let him. Plus he then gets tricked into being conscripted into the army of Sir Thursday. Things start to get pretty crazy after this.

I liked that Leaf was still involved, even though she ends up doing different things from Arthur. I'm glad she was still part
Audrey
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it

This MG series continues to be highly creative. There is a ton of weirdness here, but not too weird.

There’s a bit of a body count, both in the House and in the Secondary Realms. Sir Thursday is in charge of the Army for the House. Denizens are drafted for a hundred-year stint. Arthur ends up getting drafted, but he’s grown shrewder as the series as progressed, and he’s just waiting for the chance to confront Sir Thursday and take him down — he’s getting good at this, after all.

Jaemi
This might be the best in the series yet. Action packed, quick-paced, shifting viewpoints and parallel stories--I hardly put it down!

We begin with Arthur desperately trying to get home, after Wednesday's adventures, only to find that he can't get through the Front Door. As it turns out, this happens to be the least of his problems. Reluctantly he sets off back into the house with his ever-growing staff to hold a meeting.

Not long into said meeting, his earthly friend Leaf is sent back home to try
Barbara ★
I just cannot say enough good things about this series. I absolutely love the creativity of Garth Nix. Some of the stuff he comes up with is simply brilliant. In this one, I particularly like the tectonic plates strategy. How very clever and original.

Once again Arthur Penhaligan is wrapped up in the difficulties with the house and wresting the keys from the bad trustees. This time Sir Thursday gets his crack at Arthur and his allies. Sir Thursday is in charge of the Architect's army and once
Bettie
Peyton
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, adventure
I wasn't expecting a more militaristic book but there you have it. Another good adventure story with ever building stakes for Arthur. Leaf was delightful as always.
Zoe
Re-read (for the third time) in January 2017.

My re-read of this series continues. I won’t be giving a super long review of this book since my thoughts on it are basically the same as my thoughts on the rest of this series. I personally think that this book has the strongest plot of any of the books so far in the series, mostly because it’s the first book that follows a character other than Arthur for a significant portion of time. In my opinion, the two POVs make the story more interesting.

My
Fantasy Literature
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
By now the basic premise of Garth Nix's seven-part The Keys to the Kingdom series is well established. Arthur Penhaligon has been thrown into an extraordinary world: the epicenter of the universe, known as "the House". Ruled by the treacherous Morrow Days (named after the days of the week and each personifying one of the seven deadly sins: Mister Monday/sloth; Grim Tuesday/greed; Drowned Wednesday/gluttony and now Sir Thursday who appears to be pride), Arthur has been given the task of ...more
Ragan
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
On his way back to the secondary relm Arthur calls home (namely earth) Arthur is drafted into the military doomed to serve the required 100 years, unless he can recover the 4th part of the will and the keys from Sir Thursday. Another fun book with lots of wit and adventure.
Aisha
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I really. liked this book I recommend this to everyone
Mikayla
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read all of the books in the series and it's pretty awesome.
Micah Grant
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
"I'm just following orders" is probably the worst reason to do something you may not agree with. Authority must be used wisely, and should never be mistaken for knowledge or wisdom.
Kifflie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-sf-fantasy
Relistened to this one. The gamer side of me loves the concept of the Great Maze. Also, Leaf and Suzy kick ass.
Bivisyani Questibrilia
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still re-reading this series, but skipping Drowned Wednesday because it's still with a friend of mine.

I feel like with this book, the dynamic of the story is starting to stir a bit—actually, it's probably since the Drowned Wednesday one, but still. Arthur acquires more comrades in the form of Leaf, Dr. Scamandros and some other characters from the Wednesday instalment. He also starts to be able to put his foot down on various things and see to his priorities. But, I also feel like the storyline
Sheila Ruth
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Kirsty
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sir Thursday is the fourth book in the Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. It continues where Drowned Wednesday left off.
Arthur is stuck in the House, due to the Skinless Boy masquerading as him in his world. To add more misery, he gets drafted by Sir Thursday into the army, where he must serve for a hundred years. On top of this, he must find the Key and the Will, and defeat Sir Thursday, all whilst figuring out a way to stop the Skinless Boy and keep his head low so Sir Thursday does not
Candace
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2019 - My feelings didn't change too much between 2017 and now, this was a good addition to the series, a lot of exciting peril, Leaf is awesome, and I enjoyed the increasing scale of the house. The Piper is scary.

Drowned Wednesday is still my favourite of the series so far, but I am enjoying the scale this book brings, as Arthur makes his way through the house. The Great Maze and its moving tiles were an interesting element, I love how every part of the house is so different, and yet it works.
Elizette
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved how fast paced and intricate the story has become. I also enjoy how Arthur is changing his original stance and coming to terms with the truth. However, there was one part of the book that really bothered me. I think during the edit process Leaf was originally thought to be a character in a scene, but was later replaced with Suzy. So in a scene where Suzy is falling, she is described as Leaf in one sentence and then never again in others.
Kathryn Ryder
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garth Nix's ability to create fantastic worlds and interesting characters is brilliant. However, I find the books lack as much tension as i would like. But I'm enjoying the intricacies of the overall plot and the politics between the positions of power. Arthur's character has developed a lot over the series, I cant wait to find out what he decides to do.
Gail
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this book. Loving the series and especially the add on characters. Sylvie the elderly pensioner was a gem!!! It's little details like that that make me love these books even more with every one in the series!
Joey Woolfardis
[Short review from memory until I re-read and re-review at a later date:

I'm more curious about only three stars. I recall the plot slightly, but the series as a whole was enjoyable. Might've been one of those that was good but dragged. We shall see.]
Cynthia Scott
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The concept for this world is really fascinating with clocks and time. Arthur was a bit of drag early on, but I realized that it was necessary to his character development. Currently plowing through Lady Friday...

Keep up the good work Garth Nix!!
Tasha
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can find my full review for Sir Thursday here: https://abhorsenslibrary.tumblr.com/p....

Can't wait to continue on and read Lady Friday after concluding this book!
Amanda Pearl
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, bir-2018
this lost some of the magic for me, it really suffered from middle book syndrome. Basically just set up the events for the final 3 books but didn't really stand well as its own story.
Astrid
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved Leaf, loved the Nithlings, loved the drama of Arthur possibly turning into a Denizen. Army scenes were actually pretty fun and cool. Onto the next book!
D.A. Rice
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better. :)
Hannes
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
well written, entertaining and weird in a good way.
story reads very quick
Jonathan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
More than the next episode in the Keys to the Kingdom series, an expansion of depth of characters, stories, and creativity. Excellent!
The Ultimate ABC ...: Sir Thursday by Garth Nix 1 1 Mar 14, 2012 05:40AM

• Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • The Lost Colony
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
  • The Wish List
  • The Opal Deception
  • Snakehead (Alex Rider, #7)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • Good Company (The Fifth Ward #3)
  • Hauntings and Apparitions
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

The Keys to the Kingdom (7 books)
  • Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1)
  • Grim Tuesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #2)
  • Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • Superior Saturday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #6)
  • Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #7)
“My parents are going to kill me!"
"That seems rather harsh...”
192 likes
“You are an adventurer!" exclaimed Sylvie. She tore herself away from the window and handed the glasses back to her. "But I suppose that could work. Only, what will happen afterwards?"
'I was planning to worry about afterwards when there is an afterwards," replied Leaf. "And I'm not an adventurer. At least not by choice. I've done that once and learned my lesson. No more adventures without knowing what I'm getting into."
"They wouldn't be adventures, then," said Sylvie.”
12 likes