Start by marking “The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)

The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set

(Abhorsen #1-3)

To preserve life, the Abhorsen must enter Death
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set

Start your review of The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
Lowed
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yeah.! This was an amazing read. If you like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (which I did), then you definitely have to grab a copy of these precioussssss piecesss. Anyway, As I was trying to check his website for an update of Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen the fourth book in the series.. I found this instead.. Really funny Nix! Really Funny. I still do not know how to create some really cute links here, so I just copied the whole article and pasted it. EnjoY!

MY NEW REALLY EPIC FANTASY SERIES
Marc Aplin
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Many of you may not have heard of this series… I picked it up by complete chance about 5/6 years ago when visiting a relative. I forgot the book I was currently reading (Magicians Guild) and was kinda bored over the weekend there. Still having 5 days left on my trip, I walked past a charity shop and sat in the window was a book called ‘Sabriel’. Now, to me it looked ‘fantasy-ish’ so I picked it up…

The book was so amazing that by the end of the holiday I was almost finished on the third in the se
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were fun books.
Sabriel is pretty much a stand-alone book, but the second two are really one novel - Lirael ends right smack in the middle on a cliffhanger, and Abhorsen starts right where it left off...
The trilogy gives us a dual world - one which very strongly resembles Britain in the early twentieth century - and then, across the Wall, the Old Kingdom, a magical land which is currently in a dire state of anarchy and seriously plagued by the Dead - which rise as zombies and make themselve
Squeemu
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Jen Julian
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
There's something very *pure* about this trilogy that I can't quite put my finger on. Honestly, I think if I'd read these books as a teen, I would've been confused and bored, though that would have been the result of my own inattention. Reading them now, I can see the intense and subtle care that has gone into the crafting of Nix's world, especially in the way that magic functions, both as a structured utilitarian system (charter magic) and a natural, untempered chaotic force (free magic). There ...more
Diliaur
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the story, the world, and the characters. Well-paced page turners, featuring pretty classic quest stories. Doesn't break any boundaries but the world is beautiful, with just enough information to make you want to learn more; the characters grow, both in themselves and on you; and it balances the plot with small but effective moments of comedic relief, which I find especially enjoyable because they're such quick bursts of humor they leave you wanting more -- but Nix keeps the action going.

I'
Puck
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Reading Clariel made me yearn to reread this wonderful series by Garth Nix, which I last read when I was in middle or high school. And I have to say, for the most part, it holds up to a reread. All the characters are wonderful and well-developed; the cosmology of Death, Free Magic, and Charter Magic is beautifully wrought; and the story pulled me in as intently as before. I could barely put the book down to interact with the people I love most.

Stylistically, there's a few choices made here that
Eric
May 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Eric by: Janet Schuellien
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This reminded me somewhat of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, but not quite as good. Where His Dark Materials is about Science and Religion instead of Swords and Sorcery, the substitute here is Necromancy.

My issue with this trilogy (and to a lesser extent with His Dark Materials), was how the second book started out with a new unfamiliar character. In the case of Lirael, her story was not compelling enough for me to want to read it. I wound up putting the book down for a while,
Kelsey
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fantasy storyline is refreshingly original, fast-paced, darkly humorous, and will suck you into the dangerous world of the Old Kingdom. The character development is wonderful. I connected with Sabriel and Lirael, adored the Disreputable Dog, and even grew to love the snarky "cat" Mogget. The reader will want to whistle up a wind for a paperwing, wield the bells of the Abhorsen, and ,if they are anything like me, long to explore the great Library of the Clayr.

One of my favorite series. Thes
Rachel
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just finished "Abhorsen," the third book in the trilogy. I read "Sabriel" a long time ago, in high school, and "Lirael" several years back. I never got around to finishing the series even though I loved the books...now I finally have and the only disappointment I have is that (aside from a further book of "related" short stories) this wonderful story is now over, and that Nix is not a more prolific writer. Some of the most interesting and emotionally mature Young Adult fantasy I've ever come a ...more
Ryan
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I give this series a 3 out of 5 due to the author's writing style and choices for what to include and how to end the series, for the most part.

The first book, Sabriel, is an enjoyable adventure with memorable characters, nonstop movement, and an abrupt ending. The second book, Lirael, is an enjoyable adventure focused on different but memorable characters, nonstop movement, and ends abruptly mid-story. The final book, Abhorsen, is an enjoyable adventure with memorable characters, nonstop moveme
Annie Fanning
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I admit that I am currently reading far below my grade level.

Maybe I missed my adolescent moment to truly immerse myself in the Fantasy. Maybe I am making up for lost time. Maybe I am researching appropriate Fantasy novels for the giraffes. Maybe I require lite works with strong female characters.

If you are looking for some lightweight magical fare that features girl-heroes, check out Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy. It is truly not to be missed, the first, second or third time round
Micheline
Series review to come! Instant all-time favorite and new obsession ♥
Amara M.
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
i don't read many things that are serious (lol) or not essays but i picked this up bc of a friend and words can't describe how much i love it. i wish i had read it when i was younger. even with the flaws (mostly surrounding how teenage women can be viewed but honestly that's also done well imo) the beauty that nix was able to hold for life, death, and loss gave me a reason to get up in the morning.

i'm so appreciative to have read this for the first time. death is always something that scares me
April
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy has been among my favorites since it came out. I reread it about every five years. It centers on a coming of age story of a girl thrust into a role she is not ready for, but takes on anyway to save the life of her father. She discovers a complex world of magic and a mother's family that she never knew she had.
If you like your fantasy to build a world in which the rules make sense within that world, this is a book you will like. The bells call forth different spells depending on how
Krista
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, one of my favorite fantasy adventure series. You wouldn't expect a series that revolves around Death to be so full of life, but when it rains in a scene, you can believe that you feel it in your skin and wade through the River of Death itself. It is a series that immerses you in its present and manages to mix elements of romance, mystery, suspense and magic. Sabriel inherits a huge task and takes it in stride but somehow manages to still seem down to earth. The characters are deep bu ...more
Jessica
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you fantasy magic mixed with darkness, this is your go to series!

I haven't put it down since I first fell in love with it (in the seventh grade). Throughout my years I've re-read it time and time again because the magic and the story line is exactly what I need to be able to disappear into another world. It doesn't stop when you put the book down either. You'll find yourself compelled to keep going if not, you're going to be wondering all day!

Enjoy.
Tracy
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finally bought my own copy and will be re-reading it a few more times :).

If you like magic, fantasy, female heroines, and the good 'ol fight of good vs. evil....then what are you waiting for? Plus the second book has the romanticism of libraries in it, which is never a let down.
I want to be magical soooooo badly!
Eleanor
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much and have read it three times over! All of the books had so many interesting characters and plots that kept me reading into the night! However, I would recommend the books for people over 12 years old as it has advanced language and themes. If you haven't read these then you're missing out and should go and read them now!
Philip Burchett
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It seems that everyone has a role in the world. The cast of characters in lireal and abhorsen reminded me of both Harry Potter and the goonies. I loved lireal and the message of who she becomes despite her failed expectations.
Gus
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was very interesting and kept your attention. I liked how there were a lot of words or names of things that were part of the book it somehow made you more immersed into the text.
Firefly
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this series. I've read it three times and now I finally own the series. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the books. Garth is amazing with these series.

My favorite character is Mogget. I love him. Afrer him, Disreputable dog. I highly recommend these books.
Jason
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good read, and one of Garth Nix's better works.
There are few dark fantasy epics that I've managed to chance across,
He did well weaving the matters of fate, death and history into an intricate tale.
Deirdre
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved these books. The second book is a little whiny but the dog makes up for it. Always in my list of to-recommend books.
Chris Dent
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars for the written version, but if we're rating the audiobook (narrated by the inestimable Tim Curry), then my adjective renders its rating...well... inestimable.
Wit
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few sets i can just reread and enjoy, love the disreputable dog and mogget!
Rob Riker
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED rereading these after finding the boxset at a thrift store. Still great stories and awesome world building.
Carmen
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Sabriel, and her growth. I also lived the world building, and how the author explained what was going on, without interrupting the plot
Olga
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is the first half of the 20th century and the world is changing. The peaceful existence of the country south of The Wall is threatened by the possibility of a war and to the north dark powers are getting stronger as well and death itself is finding its way into the living world from the other side. The Abhorsen is the only one who can control the dead and send them back where they came from, beyond the last gate on the cold and tumultuous river. When the Abhorsen’s daughter, Sabriel, receives ...more
Bunny McFoo
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just finished re-reading this trilogy, and I'm choosing to review all three books at one time, as I think that the series as a whole is stronger than its parts.

When I first read these books, the first one was my least favorite. I found Sabriel to be a less sympathetic character than I did Lirael, which only goes to show that time and perspective can certainly alter opinions and points of view. Ten years on from my initial reading, Sabriel is by far more interesting to me and I sincerely wish w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Books for a 9yo fantasy lover 1 1 May 28, 2020 05:53AM

• The Dark Is Rising Sequence (The Dark is Rising, #1-5)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set (Bartimaeus, #1-3)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • The Time Quartet Box Set (Time Quartet, #1-4)
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • The Chronicles of Prydain (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • The Earthsea Trilogy (Earthsea Cycle, #1-3)
  • Eragon, Eldest & Brisingr (Inheritance, #1-3)
  • Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War
  • Fire and Hemlock
  • The Mortal Instruments, the Complete Collection: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass; City of Fallen Angels; City of Lost Souls; City of Heavenly Fire
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses Box Set (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1-3)
  • Magitek (The Rift Chronicles, #1)
  • The Woman in the Wall
  • The Beading Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy and Other Misheard Lyrics
  • 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De

Abhorsen (5 books)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5)