Start by marking “Gift of the Gab (Rowena Batts, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gift of the Gab (Rowena Batts, #3)

Gift of the Gab (Blabber Mouth #3)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
I scribbled angrily in my notebook, ripped the page out and held it in front of his face. 'You killed my mother,' it said, 'and I've got the sausages to prove it.'

It starts off as a normal week for Rowena. A car full of stewed apples. A police cell. A desperate struggle to keep Dad off national TV. Then her world turns upside-down. And suddenly Ro's battling French policem
Published April 30th 1999 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Gift of the Gab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gift of the Gab

Carolyn Coote
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This a very humorous book by well-known Australian novelist Morris Gleitzman. It is suitable for 10-14 year olds and focuses on the issues Rowena Batts is having with a local larrikin, her mother's death and her exuberant father. Due to a birth defect Rowena can't speak, however, this doesn't affect her having plenty to say. Her story begins in the local lock-up where she is being detained for filling up a local lout's car with rotten apples and turning the heating on full bore. Her quest to fin ...more
The Teacher's Library
3.5 stars. I was almost in tears several times during this book! It's pretty intense, but I really enjoyed the fact that I didn't know exactly how it would end.

More coming on theteacherslibrary.org
Diah Sukmawati
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salah satu buku anak paling bagus yang pernah saya baca :)
Namanya Rowena Batts, gadis yang jiwanya itu bebas banget. Dia itu pemberontak. Bukan pemberontak dengan konotasi negativf gimana ya, dia itu intinya independen dan pemberani. Contohnya dia itu masukin berkarung-karung apel ke mobil anak cowok jutawan di desanya karena si cowok gak menghargai pas ayahnya mengengang ibunya yang udah meninggal saat dia masi kecil. Terus pas apelnya udah dimasukin ke mobil cowok itu, dia nyalain alat pemanas
Meg Storer
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Shelves: owned
I read this book as a kid, and I still enjoy reading it.
This was the first Rowena Batts book that I had read - I didn't know it was a series until later when I noticed in the back of my copy "Sticky Beak" and other novels from the same author, among the adverts for the works of Paul Jennings (another Australian classic).

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the change of tone from the previous books, or just the dark tone of the book in general.
As the first one I read, and as a young chi
Speakercoret
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: buzenk
Recommended to Speakercoret by: Harun Harahap
hwaaaaaaaaa sedih beneeeeer...
padahal udah nahan2 jangan ampe airmata menetes dipipi *kayak lagu2nya dian pisesha yee* tapi akhirnya pada bab2 terakhir gak gagal dengan sukses... pas di angkot lgsg sibuk nyari2 tissue, n diliatin ma orang2 :))

sedih banget pas si ro jatuh di parit ketindihan martir, dan akhirnya tahu kenapa orang2 di prancis pada begitu perhatiannya ma dia... ternyata ************
Harun Harahap
Buku ini lanjutan dari Blabber Mouth, di buku ini Rowena beserta Ayahnya yang sangat eksentrik berlibur ke Prancis guna menghindari masalah Sang Ayah di Australia. Disana, Rowena berusaha untuk mencari kebenaran tentang kematian Ibunya.

Ceritanya tetap konyol dan lucu. Tapi di beberapa bagian, kisahnya dapat membuat kita terharu dan bersedih. Sayang endingnya belum selesai. Sepertinya akan ada lanjutannya lagi!!
Kim
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: gave-up-on
ONE STAR

TRIGGER WARNINGS: kidnapping, violent content (including gunplay), sociopathy

Rubbish. Pretty much sums it all up. It's got little to do with the other two books. And the author's attempts at moralising are just plain sick.

Includes stereotype of improving sense when another sense it aspect doesn't "work".

Not recommended.
Vanessa Watts
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The ending of this book is amazing and so shocking! I remember a group of us in school used to pass this round and take turns so we could all read it.
C.
Morris Gleitzman was so awesome at age eight, but he gets extremely annoying in a Bryce Courtenay-type way as you get older.
Alisha Brook
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Morris Gleitzman was one of my absolute favourite childhood authors - I even got his autograph! His books are light and easy to read and have a comedic value only Andy Griffiths could match.
Sofia
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was way better than I thought it would be! It's just A bit childish for me. I guess the cover art put me off it at the start but over all a pretty good book :)
Michelle
Jul 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Due to a birth defect, Rowena can't speak but she has plenty to say in this sometimes funny tale of a girl learning about her family's past and dealing with the present.
Kate
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It wasn't predictable which I really enjoyed!
Greer Knight
Sep 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well it is a exciting book that make you jump off your seat when you read it.
Kara
Jun 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was not anything like I expected.
Tayla
Mar 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: awesome-books
AWESOME
Teresa
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite entertaining for a young reader.
Myron
Vi
rated it it was ok
May 20, 2013
Tessie
rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2016
Monique Smoors
Dec 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Uncanny! (Uncollected)
  • The Ballad of Cauldron Bay (Stella Street, #3)
  • Just Tricking!
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman

Blabber Mouth (3 books)
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
  • Sticky Beak