Start by marking “The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)

The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet #1-4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  593 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For centuries, Dalemark has been a land divided by the feuding earldoms of the North and South. Now, with the help of the Undying, the mysterious gods of Dalemark, four extraordinary young peoplefrom the past, present and futurewill help shape the destiny of their land. Includes Cart and Cwidder, Drowned Ammet, The Spellcoats and The Crown of Dalemark.
Published January 1st 2001 by Science Fiction Book Club (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Dalemark Quartet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dalemark Quartet

Patricia
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
At first I was a little confused, the only thing the first three books had in common was the country, Dalemark, and the "Undying", gods with powers and maybe immortal humans. But the fourth gathers all the threads and makes a satisfying whole. Though I think there could have been a few more chapters at the end. Overall quite an enjoyable read for adults and young people.
Susan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The four books included in this omnibus are listed below. I've read this before, but it has been quite a while, and as I recall it's not a real fast read (maybe because the book is heavy!)

Cart and Cwidder
Clennen the singer, his wife and 4 children are traveling through Dalemark. They pick up Kialan as a passenger, but he acts very strange. Clennen's son Moril inherits his cwidder, a musical instrument that has strange powers which Moril must learn to use to save Kialan.

Drowned Ammet
Mitt is a yo
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Cart & Cwidder

Originally published in 1975. I really wish I had read this short novel as a kid. I still enjoyed reading it now, but I think it would have been one of my favorite books if I had read it at a younger age.
Although a YA novel, with a fun and fast-moving, adventurous tone, this book doesn't shy away from ‘heavier' emotional issues and political situations.
The feudal land of Dalemark is divided, and the South is extremely politically repressive. But people depend on traveling minst
Emily Collins
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-authors
This book (this book which is technically four books in one) is my favorite book. When I say my favorite book, I mean this set of four books right here have been my favorite singular piece of writing since my mom first bought it for me from a library book sale when I was in sixth grade, almost nine years ago now. I consider this book to be Diana Wynne Jones's greatest masterpiece.
Originally, this being one of the first books I had ever read by her and therefore not prepared, I was extremely ups
Verity Brown
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA fantasy fans who want something unique
These four novels (collected in this SFBC omnibus) create a fascinating land full of living myths and unexpected magic. Most pleasingly, this land is not an obvious reflection of any particular real-world country or culture. That originality is wonderfully refreshing. The style of each novel is well-suited to the story it is telling (I'm thinking particularly of the dream-like quality of The Spellcoats). And the characters are all very realistic and focused on their own desires, from the contras ...more
Sarah Day
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I typically find Diana's stories intriguing and captivating; this one was no exception. This book is realy four books in one, with the first three stories occurring at different times and places, but within the same country. The final story tied everything together - for the most part. I can't help but confess confusion on more than one occasion while reading this book. The use of one name for more than one character (i.e. the Adon and Osfameron) was very hard to keep straight, especially when r ...more
Barbi
Dianna Wynne Jones is one of my very favorite authors, so it pains me to say The Dalemark Quartet does not represent Jones's strongest work, but it's still an interesting read all the same. I particularly enjoyed the third novel of the quartet, The Spellcoats. The Spellcoats is set during prehistoric Dalemark, centuries before the events of the other three novels. It's narrated by Tanaqui, a young weaver. Her narrative voice is an interesting mix of formality and youth, and it makes for an inter ...more
Beth A.
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't quite what I normally expect from Diana Wynne Jones. It lacked the lighthearted quality her books often have. It did have the somewhat muddled and hard to understand feeling her books sometimes have.

But the characters were interesting and distinct, and the magic system and world building unique. The stories seemed to move pretty slowly, and I had to push to get through them. As it is, this book is very overdue at the library.

This book is actually as set of four inter-related stories,
April
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Peculiar but interesting; not my favorite Diana Wynne Jones series but still enjoyable. I was surprised to find I really liked The Spellcoats, which started slow. Their religion and their journey unexpectedly had me reflecting on cool parts of my beliefs. (I wish I had written down those thoughts because they have disappeared!) The last book in the quartet was a fun adventure that pleasingly tied parts of all of these books together.
Jen
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, sf-fantasy
This book contains four stories. The first three felt short while I was reading them and while I enjoyed them felt something was missing in the endings. The fourth book was wonderful. It tied the first three together and made this a series. Diana Wynne Jones does this a lot in her books. She keeps you following with interesting bits and pieces then in the end she just makes it amazing.
Clare
I'd read this again, particularly The Spellcoats, because Diana Wynne Jones, unlike so many authors, thinks about how magic works in her books and always does something you have not thought of before.
LOL_BOOKS
WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT QUALITIES OF A DIANA WYNNE JONES NOVEL?

GRATE BUILD UP AND FUNNY CHARACTERS BUT A SHITTY CLIMAX FOR WHICH THE RESOLUTION DOES NOT MAKE UP. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, DALEMARK QUARTET. >:(
Terry
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Four novels - Cart and Cwidder, Drowned Ammet, The Spellcoats, and The Crown of Dalemark - that give the history of the return of a king to Dalemark after a long period of chaos and feudal-type rule by earls.
Andrea
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
I have really liked Wynne Jones's books for a while and this was no exception. It took a while to thread these separate stories together, but the final book was just terrific.
Jenni Rinker
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Amazingly good series; four different stories based in a parallel universe with the "Undying" gods and the people who are affected by them.
Jenny Burridge
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Peipey
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Many plot strings are left unfinished, but still fun to read.
Deborah O'Carroll
THIS SERIES. I... I... I... Wordless. I need to own this collection so I can read it whenever I want. ALL THE THINGS.
Michelann
Jan 12, 2016
Bella Mohr
May 10, 2013
Send Diana Wynne Jones well-wishes 1 6 Jun 07, 2010 09:50AM
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
  • Seaward
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1 (Graphic Novel)
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Special Edition
  • Tales Before Narnia: The Roots of Modern Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • Saturday Night Dirt (Motor, #1)
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)
  • The Dubious Hills
  • The Unexpected Dragon (Pigs Don't Fly, #2-4)
  • General Winston's Daughter
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more
More about Diana Wynne Jones

The Dalemark Quartet (4 books)
  • Cart and Cwidder (The Dalemark Quartet, #1)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • The Spellcoats (The Dalemark Quartet, #3)
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)