Start by marking “The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel” as Want to Read:
The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel

The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel

Economist Stephen Leeb shows how surging oil prices will contribute to a huge economic collapse by soaring to over $100 a barrel - and tells how you can avoid the pitfalls of the upcoming crisis.
Published February 1st 2006 by Business Plus

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Economic Collapse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Economic Collapse

Start your review of The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel
Mike
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People concerned about the future (and their savings)
This is the strangest investment book I've ever read. The authors spend about 170 pages (out of 196) explaining why the economy may collapse. The premise is that Peak Oil Theory is correct, that the supply of cheap oil is dwindling, and as a result, society as we know it may change drastically.

The weird part is that after each gloom-and-doom scenario they paint, the authors provide a glimpse of hope. For example, they mention that the shortage of cheap oil may cause a new age of barbarism and la
James
Apr 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
April 2010
This s a pathetically bad book.

The author has a hysterical style of writing. Mr. Chicken little.

The author thinks the next decade will be a near perfect repeat of the 1970's, and what worked then will work in the next decade.
And what didn't work in the 70's will be a failure once again.

Myself, I believe in peak oil;
I have no doubt we'll see $10 a gallon gas before too many years.

But half the oil used in the US is used by transportation.
Most in personal driving around.
This isn
Jason
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was written in Feb 2006 and I am just now reading it. Had I read it (and believed it) then, I would have made a lot of money over the past few years on his recommendations. Question now is whether there is still any validity to the strategies given where we have come in last 24 months. (Gold $400->$1000, Oil $60->$110, etc.)

I personally agree with many of his general thoeries:
1.) We are at a supply limit on crude oil. Growth in this environment is going to be down right impossible.
2.)
Dennis Littrell
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worse case scenario or most likely?

There are two aspects to this book, or perhaps I should say two parts. Part one is a warning about the energy crisis to come. Leeb feels that unless we do something quickly in terms of building an infrastructure for a new source of energy not based on fossil fuels and certainly not based on oil, which is at or near its half-life, we may face the collapse of civilization. That's the worse case scenario. Part two is advice to investors on where they should put th
SteveR
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was written in 2006, and the author had tremendous insight into what we are seeing in the economy today - 2008. Oil was less than $50 per barrel, and the author, contrary to government or other experts, was predicting oil to go well over $100 per barrel. In fact, the sub-title of the book is "How you Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel." Seems like this is very likely now, given the basic laws of supply (declinein goil supply) and demand (China, India, etc.). The author also outlin ...more
Grumpus
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, business
This is based on the audio download from [www.Audible.com].

Narrated by: Brian Emerson

A thoughtful approach to the explanation as to why oil will be in short supply and how the world will react to it. According to the author, the coming oil crisis will not be a temporary blip like that of the 1970s...this one will be ongoing and life altering.

I particularly liked, this example highlighting the urgency for finding an new energy source. Think of a granary. Your neighbor owns it. You get all your fo
Judy
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
The subtitle of this book is "How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel." Leeb, who holds PhDs in economics, math, and psychology, presents a bleak but believable picture of a world in which oil is no longer available to the average person. He discusses the world's depleting oil supplies, the world-wide dependence on oil, and the consequences of not pursuing a replacement power source. It is a pretty frightening scenario. This books was written in 2005, and his prediction of skyrocketing o ...more
Mitro Pietro
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in why oil prices are so high and what consequences it could have.
Exellent and objective analysis of energy economics from 2005 (published in 2006), which have proven to be disturbingly accurate. Criticisms of this book, based on the investment advice it gives, are overdone, as investment strategies comprise very little of the book, itself. The book is more about the social and economic consequences of a high global demand for oil and an oil supply that is declining.
Brandon Little
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: investors,environmentalists, ANYBODY PLANNING TO LIVE PAST THE YEAR 2010!
This book was certainly no letdown from past Stephen Leeb books. There are many insightful and very realistic views of the possibilities of not just the United States, but the world as a whole, when the oil crunch really begins to hit hard. More than investment advice as his past books lean toward, this books seems to be almost an outcry for action to prevent a series of unfortunate events as a result of the greatest problem our civilization will have to face--the coming energy crisis.
Derek Barnes
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You'd think a book with this title would be pretty pessimistic. However, his economic forecast written in 2006 is, though accurate, shockingly not pessimistic ENOUGH!!! He laid out the dangers of housing inflation, but predicted that it couldn't possibly deflate because the prospect was just too horrendous to contemplate. I've got his Game Over book in my hands right now and looking forward to reading his thoughts of the 2008 crash aftermath.
Claire
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peakies...with money
The author's overall conclusions are spot-on, but like most financial advice books, this ship has already sailed. He spends some time recommending that everyone go back to 2004-2005 and read and follow the advice in his first book. I found this both amusing and frustrating.
Paul Irvine
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
You might expect this to be a typical "the sky is falling" type book. Its not. Its very well reasoned, researched, has a broad view of history and states reasonable conclusions without too tight timelines. Very good education!!
Savio
Mar 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
The author had a very negative outlook

and was always comparing the present to the 1970's

I know history repeats itself, but never word to word my friend.

And the investment advice given was not something new..so In all not worth reading.
Jay
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, very accurate and foretelling. The book was written in 2006, I read it in 2008 when basically the stuff was happening that they predicted. Except that oil never reached $200, but was well over $100, they pretty much had it nailed.
Jane Dugger
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting to read this over 5 years after it was written and realize his hypothesis about oil (at least over $100 a barrel) has happened.

Overall - thought provoking.
Carter Powers
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book for outlining what's currently happening with oil prices. This guy predicted it coming for the last 10 years. The book was written in 2006 when oil was $30 a barrel.
Gary
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
International reads are hard to come by in Beijing, picked this up in the Singapore airport recently. It seems promising...
Brent
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wish I had read this two years ago. It is scary how on the money this guy was. Hopefully that changes real soon.
Kurt
Oct 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This book made me a lot of money... but I think by accident.
Rodney
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have learned that we live in a time of crisis with an energy war. It appears that the war started in the early 70's even before the Carter Administration.
Marilyn
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. No one can say we haven't been warned...
John Sorensen
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, economics
A book about the coming energy crisis. His main prediction, $200/barrel of oil in 2010, did not come true. One of the more entertaining, wrong books I have read.
Nick Woodall
Good read, but a little sketchy on the details. Sometimes he seemed to contradict himself (inflation vs. deflation), and at times was a little too extreme in his outlook.
Derek
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
not a good prognosis if things don't change in regards to leadership and their priorities
Ben
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
It does a good job of explaining in simple terms what the problem of "peak oil" is and why it will happen. It then goes on to predict it will happen before the end of this decade...
Bud
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Best read for anyone who wants to know how to survive in this economy.
Ryan
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this a few years ago and it has some profound impacts. He also mentions how international policy will change and how some of our stubbornness won't change.
Effendy Yahaya
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brief overview and insights on the important of energy and its replacement that covers its important to economy, investment and personal contribution and planning.
Fred

• Twenty Million Yankees: The Northern Home Front
  • Rebels Resurgent: Fredericksburg to Chancellorsville
  • Chainsaw: The Notorious Career of Al Dunlap in the Era of Profit-at-Any-Price
  • Aetius: Attila's Nemesis
Based in NYC, Stephen Leeb is one of the nation's leading experts on finances and Wall Street Trends.

News & Interviews