Start by marking “That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story” as Want to Read:
That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

Chaperones, suitors, and arranged marriages aren't only reserved for the heroines of a Jane Austen novel. They're just another walk in the park for this leading lady, who is on a mission to find her leading lad. From the brilliant comics Yes, I'm Hot in This, Huda Fahmy tells the hilarious story of how she met and married her husband. Navigating mismatched suitors, ...more
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about That Can Be Arranged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Can Be Arranged

Start your review of That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
MischaS_
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, arc, comics
YAY! Review #700!

***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Seeing that this book was by Huda was an instant to-read for me. I enjoy her comics very much. And I like that she does not hesitate to joke on her account as well.

This book is not the usual "comics strips". It actually tells the story of how she got married, from her first crush, through getting her suitors and then finding the one under the supervision of her mother. There is
may ❀
the hijabis really won with this one i love it so much ...more
Emma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it

3.5/5 Stars

This comic book tells the story of Huda, the author, and her arranged marriage to the man of her dreams and the love of her life, Gehad. This book definitely gives a lot of information on this type of marriage that people may not be familiar with. It was quite funny and I adored the parts where her mother was involved in the courting process.
I also very much admired how the themes of
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had already pre-ordered this book, based on "Yes, I'm hot in this", Huda's first book, which was a collection of her strips.

I was not disappointed. Well written, full of humor, this is a great way to explain what arranged marriages are to the non-muslim world. Because of her English literature background, Huda is able to pull in Jane Austin, and explain, the similarities of dating then, with dating now.

Although, something that wasn't around in the Regency period, email that her mother had to
Alicia Bayer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful comic format book that tells the story of Fahmy's arranged marriage and her years waiting to find "the one." This is a great insight into a culture that's pretty foreign to me. Fahmy is so likeable and relatable. The book wasn't just informative but also just a fun read. I'm a new fan of Huda Fahmy.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I NEED THIS IMMEDIATELY PLEASE AND THANK YOU uPDATE: THANKS, NETGALLEY!

Initial Thoughts: HUDA DOES IT AGAIN WITH THIS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS SUPER RELATABLE PERFECT STORY BASED ON HER LIFE. I LAUGHED AND FELT HOPEFUL AND IT WAS WONDERFUL I HAVE NO PROPER WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY ELATION THANKS.
A Robin Reads
Really loved this! So funny, honest and cute.

I really loved this book! It was amazing! First of all I really liked the explanation at the beginning, it helped me understand stuff more. Then the story itself began and it was also really great. The drawings were simple, but therefore really effective. The story itself was really interesting and I really got to know more about Muslim culture. I loved the writing style, it was really funny and inspirational. I would love to read more by this author!
Betty
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was a delightful read – informative, served up with a side of humor. If you have wondered what dating is like in the Muslim world this book is for you. The illustrations throughout the book are really cute.
Dany
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable comics!!!!

Huda tells the story of how she met her husband. Kinda like "How I Met Your Mother" but make it Muslim and short.

I'm not Muslim , but I can relate to so much stuff in this book. I love how hilarious Huda is (I actually love her comics) and she made a lot of jokes even about herself!

I loved and adored the book entirely and the comics wasn't my fave part. Ofcourse it was amazing. But Huda tells the self love she was able to attain and how she set boundaries, which was
zaheerah
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of both these books via the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

In her second comic, Huda Fahmy recounts the story of how she met her husband, Gehad. Marriage is always tricky, and especially for Huda as she faces gossiping aunties and overbearing parents who want the best for her. That Can Be Arranged is hilarious, quirky and quite refreshing. A simple story which also discusses misconceptions about the
I received an ARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman of 25 will probably never get married. Well... That was the truth in my community anyway..."

In her second book, Huda Fahmy--author of the hilarious "Yes, I'm Hot In This" webcomic--tells the story of how she met the love of her life, Gehad. She recounts the ups and downs, the feelings of longing and jealousy for a husband, how a bad suitor led to her
Cat
Oct 17, 2019 added it
I just received this book from the publisher (thank you) and haven't had more that a chance to browse it as yet. But I am so looking forward to this day ending and heading home to read it! It looks like it's going to be a very, good book! I'll write a review soon! Huda Fahmy explains how to be a Muslim woman in the 21st century.
Elia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Huda and her comics! This was a super cute book all about her sort of kind of arranged marriage (she knew her now husband before and liked him, it's not like her parents married her off to some rado!) which was facilitated by her family and observed some very strict Islamic rules. You can tell how much she loves her husband Gehad from this and it's adorable that they are just two massive dorks who found each other.
Raven Terry
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC, in exchange for an honest review. Huda the Great delivers again! I can’t wait to order this! Our library has “Yes, I’m hot in this!” and it’s in steady rotation! Snarky, witty, honest, and relatable. I admire her love and devotion to her beliefs, the way she shares her experiences as a Muslim woman without attempting to speak for all Muslim women. I can’t wait to share this one with our patrons!
Michelle
Nov 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
This is the second book I've read from Huda Fahmy and I am so thankful for her! She has a fresh, fun take on her life and is teaching the reader about her culture. I want to be her friend!
Belle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
E-ARC received from Netgalley

I really liked this book, it was very light and sweet. I really enjoyed Huda's sense of humor and her openness. I also appreciated the Harry Potter & other pop culture references :-)
Beth Godmon
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting insight into a religious practice that I knew nothing about. It dispels misconceptions about identity, autonomy and independence for Muslim women, whilst still highlighting the staunch differences between arranged and forced marriages.

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Allisa White
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun sequel to Huda's first book! She delves into how she met her husband, along with all the muslim traditions that go along with that. I really enjoyed her warmhearted humor.
Ria Bridges
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first book, I knew I was going to love this one. Unsurprisingly, I was right! Seriously, I love Fahmy's geeky sense of humour and her practical yet spiritual approach to telling her story, and I don't think I'll ever tire of reading her comics.

This one recounts the story of her youth and approach to relationships, and the story of how she met and married her husband. Complete with comparisons to Jane Austen, because of course! I love the simple but effective art, and the way
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Huda Fahmy is back again! After her amazing first book: Yes, I'm Hot In This (see my review for that here) I was hoping for more books by her. And here it is. Of course I immediately clicked the request button on Netgalley to get this book in my hands, because come on, I just can't wait until 2020, no matter how soon that one is. :P

Review to come in February 2020.
Nessa
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, thank you Netgalley for a copy. I really liked the story and it was very cute to read. I thought the format was a bit odd with how she writes a little story blurb and then adds comic illustrations as little add-ons in the story. Also the glossary was a really helpful addition!
Rita
Kelly
Lynne

• Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Banned Book Club
  • The Princesse de Clèves
  • The Starless Sea
  • Fowl Language: Winging It
  • Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)
  • This Book Will Make You Fall Asleep
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • In at the Deep End
  • More Than a Game (Fayroll #1)
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Antiracist Baby
Huda Fahmy was born in Detroit, Michigan and attended the University of Michigan where she majored in English and minored in political science with hopes of one day becoming a lawyer. She finished one year of law school before shifting to education. She taught English to middle and high schoolers for eight years before she started writing about her experiences as a visibly Muslim woman in America ...more