Start by marking “Girl, Serpent, Thorn” as Want to Read:
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

Girl, Serpent, Thorn

A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl cursed to be poisonous to the touch, and who discovers what power might lie in such a curse...

There was and there was not, as all stories begin, a princess cursed to be poisonous to the touch. But for Soraya, who has lived her life hidden away, apart from her family, safe only in her gardens, it’s not just a story.
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of Girl, Serpent, Thorn
Dahlia
This was so. Good. If you love queer fairytales, especially of the non-Western variety, do not do not do NOT miss this Persian-influenced bisexual one.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
A fairy tale that takes inspiration from ancient Persian/Zoroastrian mythology. A princess is cursed to be poisonous to the touch and explores what inherent power might lie in such a curse. thanks for saving the YA retelling genre Melissa Bashardoust
mahana
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
review on my blog

"You could kill me with a single touch. Why should you ever be afraid of anyone?"

Soraya is cursed with a deadly touch, where poison flows through her veins and any living thing to come in contact with her dies. Isolated from her family and ruminating in the shadows, she finally decides to take matters into her own hands. Her brother's upcoming wedding to their childhood friend and a div (demon) imprisoned underneath the castle inspire her to make her move, while a
Candace Robinson
Superb writing but I just couldn’t get into this one. ...more
Emily A. Duncan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly perfect.
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
Rec-It Rachel
PERFECT.
NEW ADDITION TO ALL TIME FAVES.
I AM OBSESSED.
WHAT A BOOK.
Sana
Sep 07, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
Bashardoust out here single-handedly revolutionizing fairy tale retellings ...more
Kilikina
This is easily one of the my top 5 most anticipated books for 2020!!
Lia
Sep 30, 2017 marked it as anticipated-releases  ·  review of another edition
I. NEED. IT.
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️

As the day of her twin brother’s wedding approaches, Soraya must decide if she’s willing to step outside of the shadows for the first time. Below in the dungeon is a demon who holds knowledge that she craves, the answer to her freedom. And above is a young man who isn’t afraid
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
Girl takes control of her "curse" and uses it to rule the world instead of wallowing in self-pity. Or at least that's how I'm imagining this to turn out.
USOM
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I fell in love with Girl, Serpent, Thorn from the very beginning. Girl, Serpent, Thorn is a story about possibility, power, and responsibility. It's a story about stories themselves, the danger and bravery of hope, and the possibility in each word. Soraya tugged at each of my heart strings. Faced with the pain of wanting something we cannot have, Soraya feels the ache and the
Julie
Oh, what a book. This was so beautifully written, so heartbreaking. The story itself was incredible. Soraya was a remarkable, complicated character who had a lot to learn. The writing was luscious and addicting and God do I wish the story was 500 pages longer so I wouldn't have to leave the world so soon. The romance was so gorgeous and devastating. I just. Loved everything about this. But I'm so mad that I'm out of Melissa's books again.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
I have yet to read the author’s first book, Girls Made of Snow and Glass, but I have heard great things. The fact that this is an original tale inspired by Persian mythology has me really excited. Also, that cover is really striking.
Jackie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“Girl, Serpent, Thorn” is a horrible title that masks a really great read as we explore a new kind of fairy tale where poison lies within the touch of a princess locked away in the tower with a hero who just may be the dragon and with the line between good and evil razor thin you might be tempted to cross it.

My biggest critique of this book is the title it’s so weirdly phrased that I was tempted to not even request it but thankfully I did because this was one of my favorite reads of the year.

ree
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite book of the year.
Cristina
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every single star in the night sky, i love this so much.
rachel ☾

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
;3
Dec 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
MAY????????? :/
☾ h a d e e r ☽
I think this is the first time I've ever appreciated a snake on a cover
Olivia
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book with my own culture's folklore behind it. I loved it so much. Is this how other kids feel when they read fair tales? Because I could get used to this.
K8
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
and just like that, I'm excited.
Morgan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
First, I'd like to thank NetGalley and Flatiron Books for providing me with the advanced copy of this novel for my honest review.

Where do I even begin with this novel? When I first read the description of what it entailed, I was instantly interested in the concept. I was pleased and surprised to find that some things happened as I had expected them to, while I was also absolutely surprised in such delightful ways by the unexpected.

My heart ached and swelled for Soraya in so many ways
Chloe
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Spoiler free*

I feel like this book kind of snuck up on me. I had seen so many excitment and love for it on Twitter that I was intrigued. Then, I finally read the synopsis and it sounded really, really interesting. Then, the love for it continued on Twitter and I wanted to give it a shot.

This is the kind of book where I can't find the words to describe it. It left me breathless. That's the best way I can think of vocalizing how I felt about this book. I want to say it was so, so good, but I want
Meghan
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Flatiron Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was excited to read this book solely from reading the description. I have always loved the name Soraya and when she was going through a struggle in hiding in her own "Garden of Eden" like home she has to battle between being a beautiful princess or a monster until one man discovers her and is not afraid of her inequalities and he
Jessica (Jessabella Reads)
I absolutely loved this title. I flew through it in one night. The pacing was spot-on and I really enjoyed all of the twists and turns the story took. This world was vivid and exciting. Bardhardoust does a wonderful job of letting the scenery create itself in your mind and gives plenty of detail without bogging the book down with too many flowery descriptions. I thought that aspect was perfectly executed. The main character was very flawed, but that’s part of why I liked her so much. She made a ...more
Laura Young
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW
I read a free arc ecopy of Girl, Serpent, Thorn for an honest review. This book will be published by Flatiron Books in May 2020.
****************************
Well what a rollercoaster ride this is!!! It’s got concepts from lots of folk tales and fairytales, leaning heavily towards the Persian tales. It’s brilliant!! It’s a stand-alone book that covers so many issues. Family, self loathing, love, friendship, trust, self belief and worth, anxiety and self love. It’s a very dark story
megs_bookrack
WE HAVE A COVER!!!

I have been anticipating this release for such a long time. I absolutely adored Bashardoust's Snow White retelling, Girls Made of Snow and Glass.

It is actually one of my favorite retellings ever. This sounds equally incredible and I cannot wait for it!

Tânia
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover is so pretty. *.*

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble

• The Library of Lost Things
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Silence of Bones
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Mooncakes
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
Melissa Bashardoust (pronounced BASH-ar-doost) received her degree in English from the University of California, Berkeley, where she rediscovered her love for creative writing, children’s literature, and fairy tales and their retellings. She currently lives in Southern California with a cat named Alice and more copies of Jane Eyre than she probably needs. Girls Made of Snow and Glass is her first ...more