Start by marking “The Fortune Teller's Promise” as Want to Read:
The Fortune Teller's Promise

The Fortune Teller's Promise

Counting things in threes usually calms Dell’s crippling anxiety—the passionflower vine along the shop wall, the jimsonweed by the roadside, the sleeping valley in the distance—but when her baby daughter goes missing, her world shatters completely.

1979, Virginia. Growing up amongst the sprawling valleys and forests of Blyth, beautiful young Dell has always had a natural
Expected publication: October 30th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune Teller's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune Teller's Promise

Thebooktrail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The natural imagery of this story is strong which makes up for the fact that Blyth, the small town of Virginia is fictional. The sense of loneliness contrasted with vast open space and claustrophobia is acute. It’s about a woman returning to where she grew up and where she was unhappy. Her baby taken off her, she was convinced this would be for the best, and now she has to return to find out what happened to the poor child.
I was a bit confused when reading as the blurb doesn’t match the story in
Lindsay Shultz Gurney
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adella, also known as Dell, never had the picture perfect life. Drug addicted father, unloving mother, and an overprotective brother. Dell finds out she’s pregnant at one of the worst times possibly, and she immediately flees town after believing that Mason would never choose her over his sadistic family. Fast forward to a year later, and not a single person knows where Dell ran off to (at least that’s what she thinks) until her mother, Anita, shows up at her house/psychic shop and tells her tha ...more
Bee
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dell grows up in the town of Blyth feeling like she is always being watched and judged by others. Her mother is beautiful and self-absorbed, while her father, hurt on the job and by Dell's mother leaving him, abuses medications and is mostly checked out. Dell has an older brother who tries to protect her, but Dell still feels alone and the book explores how she handles becoming pregnant.

The description for this book says that it is perfect for fans of Where the Crawdads Sing, and I can see some
Judy Odom
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fortune Teller's Promise is not what I expected , it was better than I expected.

Kelly Heard has written a good book that is told between the past and the present. Dell has not had an easy life; a lonely one and as the story unfolds you realize why Dell made the choices she did.

Dell sets out to find the baby she gave up for adoption who is missing.

But don't be fooled its much more of a character story , love story as you watch Dell grow.

I enjoyed this book very much and will be thinking abo
Tanya Riley
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a beautifully written, emotional story. I’d find myself thinking about the characters, long after I’d stopped reading.
Most of the chapters alternate between the past and the present, which I typically don’t like, but the author was able to make the story flow easily and I didn’t mind it.
I loved the way that you were immersed in not only the story but the environment as well.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced review copy. I look forward to reading more from
Jill Burgin
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a different story than I was expecting and it’s certainly a strong emotional read. Not the standard missing child mystery I was prepared to read, instead it’s more of a character study of a young woman and her relationship with her parents and the father of her child, Their romance plays a central role and Dell’s history and the choices she makes influences the plot. We can identify with Dell on many of her responses and her development through her pain to understanding makes for an exc ...more
Annette
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
I enjoyed the story but at times the main character annoyed me. It was a quick story and kept my interest. Thanks to Netgalley for the early copy
Donna
rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2019