Start by marking “The Scorched Earth” as Want to Read:
The Scorched Earth

The Scorched Earth

Who really killed Leo Fenton?

Two years ago, Ben Fenton went camping with his brother Leo. It was the last time they ever saw each other. By the end of that fateful trip, Leo had disappeared, and Ben had been arrested for his murder.

Ben's girlfriend Ana Seabrook has always protested his innocence. Now, on the hottest day of 2018's sweltering heat wav
Published November 14th 2019 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Scorched Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scorched Earth

Start your review of The Scorched Earth
Polly
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Jess knows. The village knows. Everyone knows.”

A dead body shows up, and this quote is the resulting inner thought in the opening chapter of the character whose world we are being introduced to. This instantly hooked me, and I knew this was a book for me.

I didn’t realise that this was the second book in a series, and luckily it turns out that it works perfectly as a standalone book. I will, however, be adding the prequel to my TBR list!

The Scorched Eart
Nigel
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This book had an intriguing start. Two years ago brothers Ben and Leo went camping. In the morning there was no sign of Leo and Ben was covered in his brother's blood. Now Ana, Ben's girlfriend, hears that a freshly buried body has been found in her local graveyard - can there possibly be a connection? And did Ben really kill his brother - he is currently in prison for that offence.

The book explores this story in a "then and now" format looking at the time Ben went camping on the one
Michelle
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Two years ago, brother Ben Fenton and brother Leo decided to go camping in a remote area of Blakeney Norfolk. The next morning Ben Fenton woke up drenched in blood and Leo Fenton feared dead but, his body was never found. Ben was accused of his murder, but always claiming he was innocent. Present day, a body was found in a freshly dug grave. The body believed to be Leo’s is found near to were Ben’s girlfriend lives.
I liked the premise of the Scorched Earth. It had it usual twists and turns
Shalini
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a slow start to a police procedural where a grave found led to the case of a missing man probably murdered with brother incarcerated.

Ben and Leo went camping. The next morning, Leo went missing. Ben was soaked in his blood. Traces of it found at the cliff edge led to murder charges. But Ben's partner Ana was convinced he was innocent.

My first book by author Rachael Blok, the first section laid the foundation of the police team along with showing me the details of Ben's term in prison
Lou
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Scorched Earth is the second police procedural in the DCI Maarten Jansen series and is perfect for those long, drawn-in nights with a cup of hot chocolate curled up in front of the fire. Having read the first book, Under the Ice, I can say that I felt it was necessary to gauge Jansen's personality but if you don't have an issue with going in not privy to that information the story in itself is a self-contained one. It revolves around two brothers, Leo and Ben Fenton, who took a camping trip ...more
booksofallkinds
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from Netgalley.

A twisted tale of secrets and lies, THE SCORCHED EARTH by Rachael Blok is a solid story with solid characters.

Two years ago Ben's life was changed forever when he went camping with his brother and awoke to find him missing, and blood everywhere. Tried and found guilty of his murder, Ben is now in prison where he desperately tries to survive and come to grips with the fact that there is no hope for him. Until a body is discovered in th
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Heads of Zeus for an advance copy of The Scorched Earth, the second novel to feature DCI Maarten Jansen of the Hertfordshire Police.

Two years ago brothers Ben and Leo Fenton went camping in Norfolk. Ben woke up covered in blood and Leo went missing. Ben was convicted of Leo’s murder but his wife Ana is sure he is innocent. Now bones have been discovered reburied in the graveyard in the Hertfordshire village of Ayot, just yards from Ana’s house. Ana
Martha Brindley
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who did kill Leo Fenton? He went missing whilst on a camping trip with his brother Ben, who was subsequently arrested and charged with his murder. Ben's wife Ana, has always protested his innocence but when a body is found in the local churchyard, she begins to doubt herself. DCI Jansen, of St Alban's police is the investigating officer. Tensions mount and secrets start to unravel in the sleepy village. The book is well written and I liked the setting and lead character but some parts left me a ...more
Vivienne
My thanks to Head of Zeus for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Scorched Earth’ by Rachael Blok in exchange for an honest review.

Two years ago brothers Ben and Leo Fenton went camping. By the end of the trip Leo had disappeared and Ben was arrested for his murder. Yet Ben and his girlfriend, Ana Seabrook, have always protested his innocence.

Now during the 2018 heatwave the police contact Ana with news of a body discovered in a freshly dug grave in her local churchyard. It appears that t
Karen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two years ago, Leo Fenton went missing. Despite his body never being found, his brother, Ben was charged and convicted with his murder, although he has consistently denied any involvement. Now, a body has been found, in a newly-dug grave, close to the home of Ben’s girlfriend, Ana Seabrook. Who put it there and, if it is Leo, where has it been for the past two years? It is up to DCI Jansen and his team to try to make sense of what happened two years ago, and discover whether Ben has been impriso ...more
Lel Budge
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brothers Ben and Leo want on a camping trip. One morning Ben woke, covered in blood and Leo was missing. He was arrested and imprisoned for murder, even though a body wasn’t found.

2 years later, Ben’s girlfriend, Ana hears of a body being discovered in a freshly dug grave….is this Leo’s body?

This is a tension packed whodunnit mystery with enough twists to keep you guessing.

I have to admit I struggled to get into this at the start, due to the staccato, short se
Alex  Jones
Blog Tour Review 14/11
Sean Talbot
Melanie Golding
Sep 01, 2019
Amanda
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there's one thing I like to do, it's to discover new authors. Rachael Blok is definitely a new author for me but having enjoyed reading 'The Scorched Earth' as much as I did, I can guarantee that I will read more of her work in the future. As soon as I have finished typing this review I am going to scoot off and buy a copy of Rachael's first book 'Under The Ice'. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Scorched Earth' but more about that in a bit.
I can't say that I took to any of the characte
Clare
M.R. Rutter
The Masked Reader
Beverley Stokes
Oct 24, 2019

• Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • The Six
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Reverie
  • Safe Harbour
  • When All Is Said
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • Reputations: A Madeleine Porter mystery
  • Salt Lane (DS Alexandra Cupidi #1)
  • Sleep
  • Through the Wall
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker
  • One Christmas Star
  • The Family
  • To War With the Walkers: Three Soldiers, a War Bride, a Nurse and a Doctor: One Family's Extraordinary Story of Survival in the Second World War