Start by marking “The Wife and the Widow” as Want to Read:
The Wife and the Widow

The Wife and the Widow

The second standalone thriller from the award-winning author of THE NOWHERE CHILD

Set against the backdrop of an eerie island town in the dead of winter, The Wife and The Widow is an unsettling thriller told from two perspectives: Kate, a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her dead husband’s secret life; and Abby, an island local whose world is turned
Paperback, Trade, 384 pages
Published September 24th 2019 by Affirm Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wife and the Widow, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shanae
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Wife and the Widow
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!OMG!OMG! I’m not a religious person but any example masterpiece writing is a quite definition of finding the real miracle in the earth for me. And this book is impeccable, detailed, surprising, mind-blowing, so smartly written.

I wish I had a chance to clone this author’s special gift and brain cells and have them transplanted into my miserable head!

This mean genius author literally plays an unfair game with your mind. It’s impossible to win against him because he is too intelligent. I fooled
Meredith
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
“If we don’t talk about the monsters in this world, we won’t be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed.”

The Wife and the Widow is a dark and twisty psychological thriller.

It’s tightly wound and compulsively readable--so tightly wound that I read right through the twist! It’s subtle and intelligently written.

It’s best to go in blind, so that’s all I am going to say!

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Paige
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"If they didn't talk about the monsters in this world, then they wouldn't be ready for them when they jumped out from under the bed."

Chapters alternate between The Widow, Kate, and The Wife, Abby.
Within the few first chapters, Kate's husband goes missing without a trace. She then finds out he quit his job months earlier without telling her and lied about the trip he was supposed to be on. Where is he? Why did he lie? What is he hiding? "...are some monsters better left hidden."
Abby's chapters
Mandy White
Wow!

Those that have read The Nowhere Child by this author know that Christian White can really write a brilliant story. This second novel is as good, if not better in my opinion. I could not wait to get my hands on this book and once I started it I really struggled to put it down.

It is a hard story to talk too much about without giving anything away. What you need to know is that it told from 2 different points of view. There is Kate, whose husband fails to return from an overseas business
Jayme
DNF-no rating

Things I do not want to read about:

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Taxidermy

This had two out of three.

I encourage you to read the many stellar reviews for this book for a more objective opinion.
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Wife and the Widow by Christian White. (2019).

Set against the backdrop of an island town in winter, this thriller is told from two perspectives. Kate is a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her husband's secret life. Abby is an island local who is forced to confront the evidence that her husband is a murderer. But nothing on the island is quite as it seems. When the women are pushed to the edge, they will
Carolyn
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars. I read Christian White’s terrific debut novel, The Nowhere Child, back in January. It remains one of my favorite mysteries of 2019, so had no hesitation in purchasing The Wife and the Widow ebook.

I apologize as this novel was a disappointment for me. It started out strongly but then wasn’t keeping me engaged in the story. I found the characters underdeveloped. Kate, the widow, was too passive to be interesting as a main character. Abby, the wife, was unpleasant and not at all
Katie B
This was a clever mystery and I enjoyed it so much I'm definitely going to check out the author's other book, The Nowhere Child. The story grabbed me from the start as I was very interested in what happened to the missing husband as well as figuring out the connection between the two women. There's a surprise or two along the way and while I wouldn't say my mind was blown, I was left feeling appreciative the author managed to pull one over on me.

Kate, a mother of a young girl, is devastated when
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Fairfax has labelled Christian White, the author of last year’s smash hit, The Nowhere Child as, ‘an exciting new voice in crime fiction’. I have to concur, Christian White has earned this title, thanks to his first book, and now his second novel, The Wife and the Widow. A story that follows a wife, a widow and a shocking secret on a stormy island abode, Christian White’s sophomore novel is a book that will have you deeply examining the actions of
Michael
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do you go after your debut novel becomes a major hit? That was the question for Melbourne native Christian White who's in 2017 would win the 2017 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for The Nowhere Child. While expectations were high for the follow-up I was not prepared for an even deeper and more mature narrative that made for a brilliant read.

Based on the question of how much we truly know our loved ones The Wife and the Widow expands on dynamics of family and the lengths you may go to
Jay Dwight
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year's "The Nowhere Child" was one of my favourite reads for the year, and Christian's follow up is another excellent read.

Hard to say too much without giving things away. Alternating chapters of narrative from The Widow and then The Wife, and for a lot of the tale, the reader is in the dark. Never boring though, and I didn't want to put the book down. In the end, quite a simple story, but delivered in a deviously complex way. The tale comes together in the most brilliant way.

Outstanding!
Velvet
I absolutely loved this book. He writes women so well; I think that takes a special talent.

I found myself caring very much about Kate, John and Abby because the characters were fleshed out so well. And John's nightmares were scary and intriguing at the same time. My guess about the cause of those hallucinations was somewhat close to the truth but not quite, and I love that I was off on that.

The twist that came three-quarters into the book completely threw me and had me terribly confused for a
Jayme
This story is not a fit for me as I prefer my books do not have narratives involving religious beliefs. (Or Political ones, for that matter, though that does not apply here)

Or Taxidermy (also featured in this book)

So, I will encourage you to read the many stellar reviews for this book if it intrigues you, as they will be much more objective.

Thank You to Netgalley, Minotaur books and the author for the digital ARC I received in exchange for a candid review!
Dennis
Last year I had the pleasure of reading Christian White's debut novel, The Nowhere Child, which was hands-down one of the strongest debut mystery novels I've ever read. Christian White does not disappoint with his upcoming release, The Wife and the Widow . Set in the mysterious island town of Belport, we are given two main characters, who have zero relationship with each other, but somehow connected after a grizzly murder takes place. Kate, the widow, is trying to uncover the secrets of her ...more
Jackie Robinson
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CHRISTIAN. WHITE. You’ve done it again!

Ohohohohoh. This was a good one.
I absolutely loved the storyline - Kate, a woman whose husband goes missing and his secret life is revealed; Abby, a woman who has to come to terms with the fact that her husband is a murderer.
Nothing is as it seems! I literally sat in my beanbag with my mouth gaping open when I figured out what was going down. I was so impressed.

Overall, it was a pretty simple storyline - the readers are kept in the dark for most of it but
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Nowhere Child. I found this one a little confusing. When I all figured it out it made sense to me but it didn't work as well for me!
Anne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good psychological thriller right up my alley! Kate discovers her husband has been lying to her and has been "missing" for two weeks. Determined to find him, she drives to their summer vacation home when the security team informs her there has been a breach in the system. But what she discovers is so much worse than what she expected. On a similar note, Abby who resides in the beach town Kate's visiting, suspects her own husband of lying and sets out to investigate as well. What these ...more
Jennifer Kloester
I read this book in two sittings. It's a page-turner and one of those books that keeps you guessing almost to the end. It also has a very clever twist that I actually didn't see coming. I love that, because I so often do see the twist and I love writing twists myself so I'm always impressed when an author pulls off a good one. This is Christian White's second novel and it's as good as his first book, The Nowhere Child, which probably makes it an even bigger achievement because second books are ...more
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a compulsive read, with very clever structure and plotting. The story is told in dual storylines, from the perspectives of one woman whose husband has disappeared in mysterious circumstances, and another, a resident of Belport Island (a fictional island off Victoria's Bellarine Peninsula) who becomes embroiled in the police investigation after a body is found. I can't say much more without including spoilers, but suffice to say, I feel like reading the book again straight away to see ...more
Mel | melslattelibrary
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Minotaur Books (St Martin’s Press) for providing me with an eArc. All opinions are my own

The Wife and the Widow follows a widow (Kate) and a wife (Abby) in a twisty thriller set in Australia.
This is the second book I’ve read from Christian White and I loved this one too. I went into this book having only skimmed the synopsis and I’m so glad I did. This is definitely one that’s best read without knowing too much beforehand.

I don’t want to say too much because it’
Book Bandit
3.5

At times this was a 5 star read, then at other times it seemed a 2 star read - when you've figured out what happens the pace really ramps up, and thankfully the ending made the journey worth it. I've quickly become a big fan of this author.
Janna
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. I thought I had this one all figured out but I was so wrong.

I was a little confused at times reading this, but that's by Christian White's design. It seems at first like a simple, somewhat straightforward story - but about 2/3 of the way in, things definitely took some turns that I was not expecting! I'm hesitant to write more in this review without giving away any major plot points or twists, but suffice it to say that things were not as you might expect. The ending was definitely
Paula Brandon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a read-in-one-go thriller involving Kate Keddie grieving the loss of her husband. On Belport Island, the site of their holiday home, she attempts to learn more about his death. Meanwhile, Abby Gilpin, a resident of Belport Island, begins to suspect her husband Ray is keeping some pretty deep, dark secrets from her. Their lives intersect in unexpected ways.

I can't say a lot more than that so as not to spoil anything. It's a very quick read (the book is only 320 odd pages with large,
Jim
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this more than I actually liked it. Christian White is completely charming; I saw him at the Sydney Writers’ Festival and a few details in this book made me chuckle after hearing his talk with Candice Fox. So happy Big Jenny made an appearance! Overall, this was too simple and not very clever. It was basic to the point of being flat. I won’t give up on White; he’s too witty to avoid. But the next book needs to deliver like The Nowhere Child did. This was a bit disappointing.
Lisa Jordan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year, The Nowhere Child was one of my favourite reads. I thought there was no way Christian White could do better. I mean come on, snake handling churchies? How could he beat that?!
Yet, here we are.
Expectations were high, and the title made me think it was going to end up as some domestic drama that made me yawn and/or pissed me off. Thankfully, placing my trust in one of my new favourite authors paid off.
This book was amazing.
It's told in alternating chapters, by the (see book title)
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a page turner. I read it in one sitting. It grabs you from the outset: Kate and her 10 year old daughter Mia are waiting at Melbourne airport for Kate's husband, John, to return from a work trip to the UK. But John isn't on the plane, and when Kate rings his work to find out if his travel plans had been changed, she finds out that he hasn't been working there for several months. Where is her husband?

The alternate chapters focus on Abby, living on a small island not far from Melbourne
Brandy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Monsters come in all shapes and sizes; some don’t even hide they are visible in plain sight. With that said, I ask, just how far would you go to protect the ones you love from a monster lurking nearby? Such a breathtaking, mind blowing, gut wrenching, left me SMFH in horror and anticipation. The Wife and the Widow is an absolute, hands-down bestseller - Brandy approved!!

The Wife
Sharon Morgan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did NOT see that coming.
Christian writes with an amazing flair for adventure and yarn spinning.
The characters are all so full of life and history (even the secondary characters have lives and feelings).
I spent the entirety of this book looking for a 'twist', as Christian had mentioned a 'twist' at an author talk that I attended in Adelaide.
I remember thinking at the time that he mentioned it "Nooo don't say anything! I haven't read it yet!".
But I needn't have worried. I mean, let's be
Christine
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars!!! Review to come!
Inessa
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent characters and a stunning twist that had me scrambling back thru the pages to see how I’d missed it. Clever crime thriller with a huge end.

• Silver
  • Just One Wish
  • The Weekend
  • The Strangers We Know
  • Six Minutes
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • Bruny
  • The Day The Lies Began
  • There Was Still Love
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Devil's Lair
  • In The Clearing
  • Snake Island
  • The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker
Christian White is an Australian author and screenwriter. His debut novel, The Nowhere Child, won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript. He co-created the television series Carnivores, currently in development with Matchbox Pictures and Heyday TV, and co-wrote Relic, a psychological horror feature film to be produced by Carver Films (The Snowtown Murders, Partisan).