Start by marking “The Wife and the Widow” as Want to Read:
The Wife and the Widow

The Wife and the Widow

The second standalone thriller from the award-winning author of THE NOWHERE CHILD

Set against the backdrop of an eerie island town in the dead of winter, The Wife and The Widow is an unsettling thriller told from two perspectives: Kate, a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her dead husband’s secret life; and Abby, an island local whose world is turned upside/>
Paperback, Trade, 384 pages
Published September 24th 2019 by Affirm Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wife and the Widow, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Penelope Why would not make it a spoiler alert?

Start your review of The Wife and the Widow
Mandy White
Wow!

Those that have read The Nowhere Child by this author know that Christian White can really write a brilliant story. This second novel is as good, if not better in my opinion. I could not wait to get my hands on this book and once I started it I really struggled to put it down.

It is a hard story to talk too much about without giving anything away. What you need to know is that it told from 2 different points of view. There is Kate, whose husband fails to return from an overseas business tri
Michael
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do you go after your debut novel becomes a major hit? That was the question for Melbourne native Christian White who's in 2017 would win the 2017 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for The Nowhere Child. While expectations were high for the follow-up I was not prepared for an even deeper and more mature narrative that made for a brilliant read.

Based on the question of how much we truly know our loved ones The Wife and the Widow expands on dynamics of family and the lengths you may go to protec
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Fairfax has labelled Christian White, the author of last year’s smash hit, The Nowhere Child as, ‘an exciting new voice in crime fiction’. I have to concur, Christian White has earned this title, thanks to his first book, and now his second novel, The Wife and the Widow. A story that follows a wife, a widow and a shocking secret on a stormy island abode, Christian White’s sophomore novel is a book that
Jay Dwight
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year's "The Nowhere Child" was one of my favourite reads for the year, and Christian's follow up is another excellent read.

Hard to say too much without giving things away. Alternating chapters of narrative from The Widow and then The Wife, and for a lot of the tale, the reader is in the dark. Never boring though, and I didn't want to put the book down. In the end, quite a simple story, but delivered in a deviously complex way. The tale comes together in the most brilliant way.

Outstanding!
Jackie Robinson
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CHRISTIAN. WHITE. You’ve done it again!

Ohohohohoh. This was a good one.
I absolutely loved the storyline - Kate, a woman whose husband goes missing and his secret life is revealed; Abby, a woman who has to come to terms with the fact that her husband is a murderer.
Nothing is as it seems! I literally sat in my beanbag with my mouth gaping open when I figured out what was going down. I was so impressed.

Overall, it was a pretty simple storyline - the readers are kept i
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Nowhere Child. I found this one a little confusing. When I all figured it out it made sense to me but it didn't work as well for me!
Jennifer Kloester
I read this book in two sittings. It's a page-turner and one of those books that keeps you guessing almost to the end. It also has a very clever twist that I actually didn't see coming. I love that, because I so often do see the twist and I love writing twists myself so I'm always impressed when an author pulls off a good one. This is Christian White's second novel and it's as good as his first book, The Nowhere Child, which probably makes it an even bigger achievement because second books are n ...more
Book Bandit
3.5

At times this was a 5 star read, then at other times it seemed a 2 star read - when you've figured out what happens the pace really ramps up, and thankfully the ending made the journey worth it. I've quickly become a big fan of this author.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a page turner. I read it in one sitting. It grabs you from the outset: Kate and her 10 year old daughter Mia are waiting at Melbourne airport for Kate's husband, John, to return from a work trip to the UK. But John isn't on the plane, and when Kate rings his work to find out if his travel plans had been changed, she finds out that he hasn't been working there for several months. Where is her husband?

The alternate chapters focus on Abby, living on a small island not far from Melbourne th
Paula Brandon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a read-in-one-go thriller involving Kate Keddie grieving the loss of her husband. On Belport Island, the site of their holiday home, she attempts to learn more about his death. Meanwhile, Abby Gilpin, a resident of Belport Island, begins to suspect her husband Ray is keeping some pretty deep, dark secrets from her. Their lives intersect in unexpected ways.

I can't say a lot more than that so as not to spoil anything. It's a very quick read (the book is only 320 odd pages with
Janna
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. I thought I had this one all figured out but I was so wrong.

I was a little confused at times reading this, but that's by Christian White's design. It seems at first like a simple, somewhat straightforward story - but about 2/3 of the way in, things definitely took some turns that I was not expecting! I'm hesitant to write more in this review without giving away any major plot points or twists, but suffice it to say that things were not as you might expect. The ending was definit
Jim
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this more than I actually liked it. Christian White is completely charming; I saw him at the Sydney Writers’ Festival and a few details in this book made me chuckle after hearing his talk with Candice Fox. So happy Big Jenny made an appearance! Overall, this was too simple and not very clever. It was basic to the point of being flat. I won’t give up on White; he’s too witty to avoid. But the next book needs to deliver like The Nowhere Child did. This was a bit disappointing.
Steph T
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I wasn't really into this book at first. It took about 130/40 pages for it to start to grab me. I thought to myself, this is a 3 star book for sure. But then I kept reading and reading, and absolutely loved that twist. As the Christian White said in the Authors note, I did exactly what he said I went "wait, what?" and flipped back through the pages to see what I missed. Nice one! 4/5
Julie Garner
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, crime-thriller
I received an ARC of this book.
Yet another great read from Christian White. I don't know how he manages to keep me so enthralled with the mystery that I struggle to put the book down.
I have to be very careful with this review to not give away some big plot twists because when they happen you need to be able to go 'What The?' in the same way I did. So unexpectedly brilliant that I did not see that coming from WAY out of left field. Maybe I had my blinkers on, I would be interested to
Janice Lombardo
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a GREAT suspense/thriller!

Kate Keddie and her 10 year old daughter, Mia, want to surprise John, Kate's husband, on his return from London. John is a palliative care doctor who had just attended a seminar and was due to arrive in Melbourne. They wait. And wait. John does not show up from the flight. Kate makes phone calls later and it seems that John wasn't working at the care center any longer. Also, he had not booked a hotel room or purchased a flight ticket...John's paren
Kiwiflora
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a murder mystery that will rock your socks, and keep you glued to your soft comfy chair. What a cracker of a story we have here!

Not giving anything away by saying that the basis for this novel is the death of John, wife of Kate who is now a widow. He isn't in London as Kate was led to believe by her husband, but turns up dead on the island of Belport, some 45 minutes ferry ride from the city of Melbourne. The island hums in summer as the city dwellers relocate to their flash
Donna Derons
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a book is good when you start finding excuses to keep reading. You know the drill, “sleep is overrated anyway”, “just one more chapter won’t hurt”, “I can do that another time.” Or in my case “I’ll just sit here in the car and listen for five more minutes. I won’t be THAT late.”
I have been quite late for things over the past few days. One thing that isn’t late is this review, which I had to start writing the minute I finished this book.

It was so brilliant.

Disorientating, c
Rosie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Amazing amazing amazing book. I loved The Nowhere Child, but The Wife and the Widow was even better!

I love me a twist that comes out of nowhere. I really can honestly say this twist completely took me by surprise - but it still made SENSE. As soon as the twist twisted, I was like OF COURSE.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Christian White and hearing him speak a few times now, and he is such a great, down to earth dude, and I’m super stoked to have another fantastic Aussie autho
Alyssa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did receive this book for free for an unbiased review.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED this book.

The plot - amazing.
Character development - awesome.
Is this book re-readable? - most definitely.
Plot twist - HUGE and UNEXPECTED.

Only one critique - The author doesn't have a whole slew of books for me to delve into. I guess I will have to wait for the next book to be written!

I really can't say enough how wonderfully written this was. This book a
Lou Greene
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christian White makes reading crime compelling. In 'The Wife and the Widow' he has written yet another brilliant novel and this time with a mind-blowing twist. I loved the two perspectives/narrators telling this story. Living in the same part of the world in which the story was set, I found the setting was entirely credible and the story is totally engaging. If you enjoy reading crime I'd definitely recommend this!
Sophie Asquith
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I’ve read this year!

I couldn’t leave the seaside town that the story is set in until I put together all the pieces of this gripping tale.

Aside from an unreal plot, Christian’s writing was so fluid and sensational. I felt the characters were speaking right in front of me. There’s not many books that swallow you whole like this book did.

I’m already preparing to read it again!
Belinda Fletcher
One of those books you can't talk too much about for fear of spoilers. It was motoring along nicely, enjoyable but nothing too out of the ordinary... then BAM! So cleverly done. Another absolute ripper from Christian White.
Ashley
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this one!

Christian White absolutely stumped me with this one.

The beginning was a little slow and it took me a while to get into it. However I did not see the twists coming at all!

4 stars!
Book Case 71
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves a slow clap... I mean the twist is exquisite and the story hard to put down. A definite must read for anyone who enjoys crime genre novels - and if you say you picked it - I think you’re a liar!!
Nicole Penning
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a while that has had me hooked after the 1st couple of chapters. Christian White is a brilliant writer who has an ability to be able to reel you into the world he creates when he writes.
Love how the story has been told from 2 perspectives and the twist is amazing. Love this book and will read his other books now.
Jkmoore100
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge twist that had me second guessing everything I’d just read. I almost needed a pen and a piece of paper to draw arrows and dates to put it all together! Really enjoyed it even though it made me think very hard!
Christine Franco  Vozzo
Wow! Wow! Wow!

The moment I realised what
was actually transpiring within these glorious pages.... I was hooked 🧚🏼♀

A must must must read !!!!!!!!!!

Go Christian 📚
Thoroughly enjoyable
Fiona O'neill
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this in 2 sittings - Very hard to put down! Loved the authors first book, The Nowhere Child and loved this twisty one too.
Jade Maree
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of meeting Christian White at an author event after the release of his fist book The Nowhere Child. His second book was just a engaging and lively as he was. An effortlessly intriguing read.
Simona
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow - fantastic - recommend to read in one sitting like I did.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Ex Girlfriend
  • The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
  • Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life
  • Wolfe Island
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • Khaki Town
  • Snake Island
Christian White is an Australian author and screenwriter. His debut novel, The Nowhere Child, won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript. He co-created the television series Carnivores, currently in development with Matchbox Pictures and Heyday TV, and co-wrote Relic, a psychological horror feature film to be produced by Carver Films (The Snowtown Murders, Partisan).< ...more