Start by marking “The Black Swan: Memory, Midlife, and Migration” as Want to Read:
The Black Swan: Memory, Midlife, and Migration

The Black Swan: Memory, Midlife, and Migration

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Set against a spontaneous cross-country road trip following the migrating birds, this passionate, lyrical memoir is one woman's reflections on midlife, her important personal relationships, her kaleidoscopic past, and her uncertain future. To fifty-six-year-old Anne Batterson, a woman whose life has been filled with adventure -- as a commercial pilot, an international skyd ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Swan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Swan

Stephanie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great road trip book of a woman who is a free spirit. A former sky-diving instructor who now has a teaching job and grown kids, feels the insatiable need to hop in her VW van and hit the road in search of migratory birds. According to her, she is not even a huge bird person. She just needed this trip at this time. I love that she takes on the world in that way, against all sensible advice, and follows her spirit. On the way she encounters some scary men who would do her harm if she weren't car ...more
Lee
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Batterson uses the framework of a solo cross-country road trip in a VW bus to observe migrating birds and contemplate her life. Her mix of topics -- skydiving, spirituality, relationships with members of her family, wildlife -- comes together seamlessly.

I recommend finding this book (or borrowing my copy). I rarely read a book twice, but I might make an exception for this one. It contains many good reminders to live in the moment and seek the joy in life.
Kay
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
This is a wonderful little book. The writing is wonderful. The authors ability to set the scene, makes the book. Her mediation on needing to spend time alone resonated and touched me. I love how she expresses ideas and feelings. Her descriptions of the migrating birds she watches lets me "see" them.
Steph
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Marvelous! One womans thoughtful, soul-searching journey. This was everything I wished Eat, Pray, Love was.
Hope
I loved this book. It was one of those that arrived at just the right time and held its resonance throughout. Wonderful.
Gillian Marchenko
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I just finished this book for my montly memoir class. Although there were many gorgeous chunks of lyrical prose, I found myself left with wanting more when I closed the book.
Nicole
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This could have been a book club read, if I ever picked one.
Deena Metzger